7:10am, Saturday

The Space Between

 

[7:10am, Saturday]

 

It’s cold this morning, and Jungsoo surrenders his hold on the sheets as he watches the sleeping form next to him burrow deeper into them, seeking warmth. He knows he needs to leave soon, back to his sad reality, but not just yet. Softly he runs his fingers through the younger’s messy hair, glaring at the digital display on the bedside clock, willing it to stop moving.

 

Just give me five more minutes.

 

Smoothing his wrinkled shirt he glances around the room, trying to remember where he threw off his cap and mask last night. “Chair by the window.” Blinking awake from under the covers, Heechul’s sleepy voice answers the question he never asked, but then again the other always knew exactly what he was thinking. “Next week then?” He leans in to press their lips together quickly before he loses his nerve to walk out into the day.

 

If it was up to me, I’d stay forever.

 

The distant sound of the door slamming shut is  what finally causes the tears to overflow. He lets out a long breath and wonders if the elder was going to walk home as usual, worrying that maybe he wouldn’t be warm enough - he definitely should’ve forced him to carry one of the scarves lying around but they both know it would be too risky. The managers (and fans) had sharp eyes, and Jungsoo was insistent that it wasn’t the right time yet. A tiny thought at the back of Heechul’s mind knew that the right time might never come. But all he could do for now was wait and hope and long for the next stolen moment.