Chapter 11

When We Met
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 11

 

It was pitch black and Kai was careful not to make a single noise. He didn't want to risk anyone seeing him or the sleeping animals being startled.

 

He shimmied over the fence as silently as possible and stealthily searched for his targets. Armed with his girlfriend's hairpin, he set off on silent soles to search for the animals' cages. He had to grin at his plan, for it would bring Taemin back to him, and make him understand that Kai was the most important person in his life.

 

It was simple, let a few animals loose, cause chaos and thus show Taemin that this limping fellow couldn't even do his job properly. After all, the man he had seen Taemin with was just a silly circus clown and unlike Kai, who was an aspiring dancer with an illustrious career ahead of him.

 

Kai stopped and pointed his mobile phone light at a creature that looked peaceful in its sleep but turned into a dangerous predator as soon as it opened its eyes. He had to swallow at the menacing sight.

The old lion slept quietly in its cage, murmuring as a lion of its size should, loudly and intimidatingly. Fear could not describe what he felt when he looked at Roo like that, whose head was as big as his own torso.

And then something flashed through Kai's mind. Even if the lame man didn't lock some cages, a few animals running around wouldn't stop Taemin from going back here, Kai suddenly realized, and a sinister plan sprang from his dark mind.

But if this very man forgot to lock the lion cage and someone got hurt, then Kai's problem would be solved in one go. The man, would he then have to go to prison? Would this circus close its doors?

Taemin would surely be sad and then, then he would come into play. He would comfort Taemin, listen to him and thus finally make him understand that Taemin had only him.

 

Kai's gaze was fixed on the sleeping lion as he approached its cage with quiet steps. It was an old cage, with narrow bars lined up tightly. The lock was heavy, and if Kai let go of it, it would bang loudly against the bars, setting off a sound that would surely wake the lion.

 

Breathing heavily, he took the lock in his hand, careful to keep a firm grip on it. Slowly, he inserted the hairpin deep into the lock's keyhole and began to turn it around until the bolts gradually unlocked. Placing the pin between his lips, he wiped the sweat from his forehead and opened the door slowly to prevent any creaking.

 

Nothing stood between him and this resting beast. He tried to take a video with his mobile phone, but nothing was recognizable in the darkness. He backed away a few steps and switched on the light function on his phone again, filming the sleeping lion.

Roo moved slowly, which didn't escape Kai's notice, and he promptly turned off the light in fright, the clip had fallen out of his mouth onto the ground. He wanted to look for it, but heard soft noises spreading through the lion's cage.

Awakened by the brightness, the animal slowly opened its eyes, still drowsy.

 

Kai started running as fast as he could, not caring how loud or quiet he was. Roo noticed something in the darkness and ran after the dark figure. But Kai had gained a good head start, while Roo had to pick himself up. Kai clawed at the fence, clambered awkwardly over it and could not believe the majestic size of the lion's paws crashing against the fence, roaring with rage. He could not finish comprehending the sight as the first lights came on in the carriages. Stumbling, he made his way quickly out of sight.

 

 

Key woke up from his sleep in a panic, so that Jinki also opened his eyes.

"What's wrong?" asked the older one, still sleepy.

"I...I think there's something outside." Uncertainly, Key got the words out. He couldn't place whether he had been dreaming or whether it was real. Only one thing he knew for sure, it was Roos roar that had woken him.

"There's nothing there, come back to sleep." Jinki pouted and was about to hug Key to snuggle up to him when the rough roar sounded again. Horrified, not understanding what was going on outside, they looked at each other.

"It's Roo!" completely flustered, Key jumped up and hastily dressed.

"Key!" Jinki jumped out of bed nervously.

"If that's Roo, then we should stay here!" He tried to hold his boyfriend and calm him down, but Key's eyes were so filled with fear and terror that he knew he wouldn't be able to stop him. For Jinki knew this fear was not for Key himself, it was not himself he was worried about, but for the lion, and what it would face should it hurt anyone.

 

"I'm sure he won't hurt him!" Heartfelt, he looked at Key. Jinki clung to the fact that the director hadn't murdered Roo then either, when he had bitten the director's foot.

"I'm the only one he trusts." Key made him understand. He kissed Jinki, so full of love and longing that it seemed like a farewell to Jinki.

"Nothing will happen to me." He promised softly and looked confidently into his partner's eyes before going out into the cold of the night.

 

 

"You stay here, no matter what, you won't come out. Promise me!" Minho's words were as stern as Taemin had ever heard him.

"I can't let you go out there!" He faced the tall Minho and returned his gaze unshakeable.

"Especially not alone!" he added in a tremble and began to put on his clothes.

"Taemin, if anything happens to you, I will never be able to forgive myself." Pleadingly, his eyes were on his lover.

"Welcome to the club!" determinedly, Taemin zipped up his jacket and looked sternly over at Minho.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter