Part 1

Behind Those Pretty Smiles

 

When will I have a place in your heart?

 

~

 

“Seo Honey, this will be the first and last time I will be getting a favor from you. Please, honey, you are our only hope.”

 

Dad begged me. He knows very well that there is someone else. That man who I loved more than anyone else, the man who never noticed me.

 

“Dad, I will marry him. Don’t worry.”

 

I bowed and went out of his office. I know he doesn’t want to do this but this is our only choice. The Jung Company gave us conditions and this is the only thing we can do rather than selling our company.

 

~

 

I took a walk in the park. Winter will be coming soon and it’s starting to get cold. There are less people because of the unfavorable weather, but I’m here, trying to comfort my self.

 

I reminisced everything in the past.

 

Since I was young, I never really had a choice of my own. My mom always decides everything for me. I didn’t complain. The only thing that runs in my mind is that I must obey them, they must be happy.

 

I was happy too, I’m very happy. I can get everything. I have everything. Beautiful things, caring parents, and kind friends.

 

Until I saw him in 5th grade. I developed a small crush over him. He is too perfect. His smile captivates everyone, including me. I always wanted to make friends with him but he is always surrounded by his peers.

 

I made sure I knew everything he likes. I knew his favorite food, favorite color, favorite flowers and even his perfume.

 

When I reached the first level in high school, I realized that I liked him too much. He gives me a tingly feeling inside. I was confused. My friends told me that I’m in love. I keep on denying, but deep inside, I was asking myself. Do I really love him?

 

~

 

When I was a junior, I give him letters in his locker every week. I make sure I spray his perfume in it and I used a pen name which is Maknae.

 

One day, I tried to take a peek while he was checking his locker. I tried my best to hide myself. I saw him smile when he got the envelope inside the locker. I also saw him smell the envelope. He looked around and he saw a girl named Yuri. She smiled at him and he smiled back at her too. That interaction stabbed my heart. He continued reading the letter and his smile was too wide which made me smile too.

 

~

 

Before the year ended, I told him, through the letter that I will be revealing myself on that exact day. I told him to meet me at the rooftop.

 

I made sure I look pretty on that day because that will be the day that he will know me.

 

I was sitting in the bench when I heard footsteps. I tried to calm down and I stayed still, still facing my back to the door of the rooftop.

 

I looked at the person and I saw the girl named Yuri.

 

Why is she here?

 

I asked myself.

 

Her phone beeped and I hid behind the big pots.

 

“Yoboseyo.”

“Yah! He is not yet here.”

“Are you sure that the Maknae in the letter will meet him here?”

 

I became nervous. She knows what’s inside the letter?

 

“Arasso. Arasso.”

“Don’t worry. I will act smoothly. I’ve wanted to be his girl friend since elementary.”

“Okay. Just make sure he will come here now. My make up is fading already.”

 

She ended the call. I was surprised. She’s going to pretend as the Maknae?

 

I became more nervous when I heard foot steps. He is here. Kyuhyun is here already.

 

“Oppa.”

 

I heard her say with aegyo.

 

“You are Maknae?”

 

I tried to peek and I saw that she nodded. What is this?

 

“Do you know that I’ve been dying to know who you are?”

 

She went nearer to him.

 

“Oppa, I’ve been dying to be yours too.”

 

She told him. My heart broke. I didn’t expect that this thing will happen. I never expected it to be this way.

 

I saw them hug. I quickly looked away. I quietly sobbed in the corner so they won’t notice me.

 

I thought everything will go the way I wanted it to be.

 

~

 

My life was never the same again. I seldom hang out with my friends. I always hide in the rooftop of our school. Sometimes, I go to the canteen and I hear people gossiping about the sunbaes. I always hear the names Donghae, Tiffany, and Nichkhun.

 

They said that Tiffany and Nichkhun look good together but there is something wrong when they are together. Others tell that they don’t, that she fits more with Donghae.

 

~

 

One day, I went to the rooftop, my favorite place in the school. I saw a man, all alone, crying.

 

I placed my hand on his shoulder.

 

“Mister, why are you crying here all alone?”

 

He wiped his tears.

 

“Sir, you are probably sad right?”

 

He nodded and I sat beside him. I started sipping the juice I bought from the canteen.

 

“That’s about someone special, I’m guessing?”

 

He looked at me and asked me.

 

“Yes. Why?”

 

I gave him a small smile.

 

“You know, it’s okay to cry but do you think it will do something good to you? It will just give you more wrinkles. It’s more acceptable to tell her how you feel rather than hiding here, on the rooftop.”

 

Why am I even giving him these kinds of advices? I, myself also cry here alone in the rooftop. Silly, Joohyun.

 

“Do you think so? What if she has someone else already?”

 

He asked me with a very low voice.

 

“Well, if that is the situation, you still have to tell her. Once you were able to let your feelings out, you will have a lighter feeling inside.”

 

I told him whole-heartedly.

 

“Thanks a lot miss. By the way, what is your name?”

 

He offered his hand for a handshake. It took it and returned the shake.

 

“I’m Seo Joohyun but you can call me Seohyun.”

 

He introduced himself but I stopped him.

 

“Nice to meet you Seohyun. I’m –“

 

“You are Lee Donghae. The very famous junior student here in Kirin.”

 

He looks confused.

 

“What are you saying Seohyun? What famous? I’m not famous.”

 

I smirked.

 

“If that’s what you think. You are actually as popular as Mister Horvejkul and Miss Hwang.”

 

When I mentioned those names, his mood changed.

 

“Ohh. Look who just became upset here. You don’t like that lovey-dovey couple, huh?”

 

I and I can see the irritation in his face.

 

“Yah. I don’t like them. Is there a problem?”

 

I faced the scenery.

 

“It’s very obvious that you are jealous, Donghae-ssi. The girl you were talking about is her, right?”

 

He nodded to me.

 

“So, you like Miss Hwang. Well, when I see them, it’s like Nichkhun really tries his best so Tiffany will be as sweet as he is to her.”

 

He gave me a questioning look.

 

“How could you say those things? And why do you even observe them?”

 

I chuckled. How could he be so blind?

 

“It is so obvious. You are probably blinded by too much sweet moments. You didn’t even notice how distant she is to him.”

 

I stood up and I went to the corner. I looked down and I saw him. I saw him holding hands with Yuri. My mood changed. I whispered.

 

“He is not meant for me.”

 

Donghae went beside me and looked down. I know he heard what I said but he didn’t say anything. He bid goodbye when the bell rang.

 

“Thanks a lot Seohyun. See you again!”

 

I bowed and bid him goodbye too.

 

“Just go here if you need something. And don’t forget my advice. Tell her while it’s not too late yet.”

 

~

 

I still talk to Donghae Oppa. Yes, Oppa. He told me to drop the formalities because he said that we are like siblings.

 

I heard rumors about Tiffany and Nichkhun breaking up. I quickly went to the rooftop. I noticed that it’s raining. When I reached the top, I saw two persons hugging. I realized that it’s Donghae Oppa and Tiffany-ssi. I quietly walked away so they won’t notice me.

 

It’s a happy ever after for them now. How about me?

 

~

 

Hi there readers.

Sorry if you think it's crappy. And I just want to thanks all the SeoKyu Shippers who subscribed eventhough the foreword was just posted. I finished the story in my drafts already. I'll be posting it tomorrow. I'll be hanging your hopes people. Haha.

Thanks for reading.

 

-Aimee :)