Chap 2

His Unwilling Bride
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“What’s so special about this project that you’re willing to marry off your precious heir into that family” Jeon Kyung-sik looked to the man who stood tall and strong at the window. “Also why is the kid not in here?” 

Won-shik could see the Lee house from this window in the house. He often watched that house now. 

Jeon il-Yoon shook his head, warning his son not to push too hard. 

“You read the file that Secretary Han sent?” Won-shik joined his son and grandson at the table. Kyung-sik nodded, “that girl has a formula for a binding agent stronger than anything this industry has seen yet.”

“Is that it? Not very glamorous” 

“Fool. We build things. What do you think the ability to construct at a faster more reliable rate than our competitors means for the Taeyang Group?” 

Kyung-sik stared at the picture. This girl was pretty. It would be fun.

“So anything goes?” 

Won-shik drummed his fingers on the table, “Fine but if your cousin is successful then you back off.” 

“Understood but harabeoji if I’m successful then remove that kid as your heir.” 

Won-shik sighed, “Jungkook is the son of my eldest, bless him.” 

“Seems like there’s nothing in it for me.” Kyung-sik shrugged. 

“Yah,” I’ll-Yoon chastised but his father laughed sharply and then nodded, “Do this and I will reconsider and provide something more favourable. A board position and your own shares?”

“That is enough for me.” Kyung-sik bowed before leaving. This would be fun. 

“How about this afternoon? My shift ends in 2 hours.” Areum placed the coffee on the table. The manager tapped his watch, telling her she was spending too much time at one table. Ever since they made the deal, Jungkook had been dropping by the cafe close to her university even though his university was in a different sector.

“No can do. I have to head over to Taeyang Group for business 101.” 

“Oh the grooming of the future President.” she didn’t sound interested at all.

“Well, what do you want to be when you grow up?” he set his planner aside and looked up at her.  

Areum grinned as she backed away, “Mad Scientist of course,” 

He shook his head, watching her clear up a table, glancing at his phone when a message from Eun-ji came through, “Where are you? I’m close to your campus for Piano lessons. Want to meet up for a coffee? Or you can sneak me something stronger?” she was really too mischievous this girl! 

“Sorry,” he replied, “I’m studying off-campus.” he hesitated, should he say something else? He could imagine her pouting, “Raincheck?” 

She replied with a disappointed emoji but followed it with a heart. Jungkook needed to be careful, she was always trying to get him to take her out. He needed to keep the boundaries firm. Eun-ji was in high school and he didn’t want to tie her down with a serious relationship. He didn’t want to be tied to a serious relationship either. Areum was now at the takeaway station. He packed up, “I’ll have an Americano.” 

“Coming right up.” 

“How about tomorrow then?” he asked while watching the ease at which she prepared the coffee. 

“I…” she placed the coffee on the counter and then dropped her voice to a whisper, “You know that with campus, this job and the Hana situation, it’s a little tough...already we’re stretched with one of us having to always be home.” 

“Then let me help.” 

“You?!” she scoffed, “Why would someone like you ever want to do something like that?”

“Because we have to be a team if we’re going to win against the Golden Oldies.” 

Areum laughed, “Oh I have it.” her eyes grew large with excitement, “I’m speaking tomorrow on my project. Just say you came for that” 

“So shall I come then?” Jungkook moved aside so she could serve someone else. The girl eyed him with appreciative eyes, “Well?” 

“Of course not! No one comes for those things. Besides, it's for crazy mad people. I just meant to say you came.” Jungkook knew he was distracting her so he said goodbye but he was definitely pitching up for her presentation. Harabeoji expected status reports and Jungkook didn’t have anything to tell him. 

Kyung-sik watched from the gallery as Lee Areum delivered the progress report on her thesis project. It was impressive and if Taeyang group got their hands on that formula then they’d definitely win the city bid. 

“We need that contract Kyung-sik. Your grandfather has sunk everything we have into the bid. If we don’t get it, then we’ll lose a sizable chunk of our capital and the shareholders won’t be happy and you know what that means. Just, do your best.” 

Kyung-sik knew what that meant. Do your best meant don’t you dare fail. Don’t embarrass me again. 

He watched Lee Areum now, noticing the cute way she kept pushing her unruly hair off her face, how her eyes lit up when she made a point, she laughed at her own nerdy jokes and even jumped a little between the presentation board and the podium. This was definitely going to be fun. 

When the presentation was over Jungkook grabbed his bag and went to the front where students and faculty members were asking some questions and wanted to take a look at the live demonstration Areum provided. He was a little confused, he thought she’d demonstrate the glove for sure. That was some superhero right there. This was impressive and he knew why harabeoji wanted the rights but he couldn’t get the glove out of his mind. She was cool. 

He waited till the crowd died down but someone else cut in front of him. 

“Oh?” Areum looked up and her eyes filled with recognition, “Kyung-sik ssi. You came after all.” 

Kyung-sik? What was his older cousin doing here? He stayed back watching them talk. Areum laughed freely and allowed him to take her bag. What a girly thing to do. They walked right past him, without even a noticing him. 

Jungkook fell into a chair. Why did he feel like he’d lost? Sure it was more than possible that Kyung-sik had met Areum but him showing up wasn’t a coincidence. This was harabeoji not trusting him to complete the job. 

“Jungkook ssi…” Minah had rushed into the hall and looking around frantically for Areum, spotted him, “Where’s Areum?” 

“What’s wrong?” he saw how distressed she was. 

“Otoke.” she bit her nails. She was sweating too, she looked like she’d ran all the way here, “She’s not answering her phone too…” 

“Calm down Minah ssi. Maybe I can help instead.” 

“No, no…” she shook her head, “No outsiders...Areum wouldn’t like that…” 

“Areu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter