Glowing

Dude, Where's my cat?

 

Nuna didn’t come back for a while, and I decided that getting up again was a bad idea. So I just sat in my bed until I felt hunger surge me.

Without knowing what to do to get food I searched the cupboard next to me. It had a bunch of pink flowers in a grey vase on top of it, and in one of the cupboards was a small brown box.

I took it cautiously, and opened it, and inside was the familiar sight of a glowing blue stone. My eyes widened. This was Sunny’s; she’d been to see me.

I smiled, and the door burst open, revealing my sister, Hongki, YoungWoon and Sunny. Slamming the box back into the cupboard. Their faces told me they hadn’t seen my with the box.

“Okay, everyone gather round, I have something to tell you,” said Nuna standing at the foot of the bed. She had a plain expression, and I couldn’t tell what she was feeling.

Sunny came and sat by my bed beside me and she smiled, and I felt my heart lift. Just a smiled from her was all I needed to calm down, even though what Nuna was about to tell us scared me to death.

Honki and YounWoon just stood in the middle of the room idly, eyeing Nuna up and down, waiting for her to speak again.

“The doctor came and told me while you were sleeping, baby brother, and Woonie was getting us coffee, Sunny and Hongki had already gone home, but the doctor told me that…” she cut off mid sentence, and I felt so tense that I could’ve broken my arm off, and the atmosphere in the room was so thick I was sure that I could cut it if I had a knife.

Nuna took a deep breath like it was something really bad. She made it out to be pretty bad.

“Your cerebellum, that’s at the back of the brain, when you hurt it, a little bit of it got damaged, and it may take a while for you to regain your balance, and coordination…”

I felt my whole body relax, like I’d turned to jelly.

“That’s not that bad…is it?” I smiled slightly. I looked to Sunny who had put her hand over and looked as though she would start crying. I didn’t want that, so I put my hand over hers, gaining a meaningful squeeze from her.

“The doctor also said that he doesn’t know how long it will take,” she spoke with a shaking voice. “And he said that it may not get better, so you won’t be able to do anything like dancing, or sports anything else that involves coordination.”

I swallowed, and the whole room fell silent, and I could hear the slow breathing of Sunny beside me in my ears which seemed to be picking up sound hyper sensitively.

Hongki’s tummy rumbled and Youngwoon sneezed. Nuna just stood there watching me. I could see her expression had changed…she had furrowed brows.

“Don’t worry,” I said, squeezing Sunny’s hand in return, and looking around at everyone. “I’ll get better. I know I will!”

They didn’t seem too taken by the idea. I sighed, and closed my eyes. What Nuna had just told me had finally set in.

I might not be able to dance again, or play basketball, or football, or anything else, I wouldn’t be able to play video games, not even play catch with my son, when I had a son.

I might not even be able to walk again.

“Will i…” I started. “I’ll be able to walk though, won’t I?” I asked Nuna. She didn’t say anything. And it had been so quiet that I hadn’t realised how much time had passed as I stared at her, waiting for an answer I knew I wasn’t going to get. Yet I know what she was trying to tell me.

If I didn’t get better, I wouldn’t walk properly.

“Yes well, Hongki’s clearly hungry, so let’s go, Hongki,” said YoungWoon grabbing Hongki’s arm and dragging him out the door, and closing it behind them.

I was still starting at Nuna, and Sunny was still sitting on the bed beside me when I felt a tear on my hand. Looking over at Sunny, she had eyes filled with tears.

“It’ll be fine, don’t cry,” I said whipping her cheeks. She just sobbed beside me. I didn’t know what to do, so I squeezed her hand again. And through her tears she smiled.

I didn’t know what I would do if I couldn’t get better. How would I live a normal life if I didn’t have control over my own coordination, and or balance. I’d need help with everything.

I didn’t want to talk to anyone else that day. For fear that I would start crying myself. Sunny stayed with me, sitting beside me, holding my hand.

I liked having her company. She was quite warm, I felt, and she didn’t say anything about the head trauma, but she kept me distracted. So distracted that I didn’t even remember the glowoing blue stone in the cupboard.

^~^

sos sorry for the long wait, i've been really REALLY lazy lately, but hopefully i'll be back to writing this fic tomorrow, after my riding lesson :3 ahaha see you guys SOON!!!!