The Witch In The Woods

Cry Wolf
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The next morning, Jungkook was quick to gather his things. He dressed himself in a full chest plate of armor and made sure to carry a light bag over his shoulder of possible necessities needed while traveling. Just things like snacks and small knives.

Mentally cheering himself on, he made his way to the courtyard where a large dog was there to greet him.

“Nova!” Jungkook caught the black German Shepard as it leapt up at him, and barking. “I’ve got to leave you for a little while boy!” Jungkook scratched the dog’s head lovingly and gently pushed him back down to the ground. Nova was a dog he had rescued as a pup while on one of his missions in the city. He was the runt of a litter of snowy white German Shepherds, and more obviously the black sheep of the family. The owner was convinced he was bad luck and was going to kill him. “How was it possible to get a black pup out of a long line of all white dogs?! That pup is a bad omen!” The old man had said. But Jungkook hadn’t seen him that way. He was just the odd one out. He was special. Out of an entire lineage of beautiful white, came a unique raven black. It was no omen, only something different.

“I’ll make sure to watch him for you.” Nova spun around and bounded over to the feet of a tall, handsome man with noticeably broad shoulders and a handful of medical supplies cradled in his arms.

“Thank you Jin!” Jungkook bowed his head in appreciation. The officer before him was also head of the medical division. Jungkook liked to think of him as more of a mother figure than anything else. He had been given the task of raising kook all those years ago. He was 18 now, but Jin still saw him as the young munchkin who was always getting himself into sticky situations around the medic barracks. It was a wonder how Jin managed to keep him from poisoning himself, or worse.

“You be careful out there.” Jin said sternly. His brows furrowing in concern.

“I’ll be fine! Be back before you know it.” Jungkook assured the older man, passing him by with the subtle wave. His excitement was threatening to spill out of him. Possibly explode. A wide grin etched itself onto his face.

Nova barked behind him as he set off for the entrance of the army headquarters. He swore he could still hear Jin shouting advice at him the farther he got.

Officer Darius was positioned outside of the building on his lanky black horse, waiting for his troops to gather. He wasn’t a very patient guy. Jungkook could see it on his face that he was already annoyed. It was like he had a permanent stick up his . That man was never happy.

“Hurry it up men! We’re leaving!” Darius shouted for all to hear. The last couple of soldiers ran out of the building in time for Darius to start striding off on his steed.

Jungkook joined his fellow soldiers in a fast-paced march “Did I have to get stuck with a jerk like Darius as my leading officer?” He thought, sneering at the man in the lead—but soon did his smile return. The excitement he had welling up way overpowered any shred of displeasure he could conceive in the moment.

Horses neighing echoed through the city streets and Jungkook was abruptly pulled out of the way of a group of horsemen that came speeding past his troop. Their hooves beating at the ground with power.

Jungkook looked over his shoulder to see Jimin having caught him. The older boy glanced down at him with his warm smile and crescent eyes.

“Geez, you better watch where you’re going. If you can’t even dodge a horse, then how am I to trust you’ll be fine outside of these walls on your own?” He helped him regain his balance and gave him a playful punch to his shoulder.

“Jimin? What are you doing here? I thought you were training?”

“I was, but what kind of friend would I be if I didn’t see you off on your first big job outside the kingdom walls?”

Jungkook smiled bashfully, but then quickly became suspicious. “Wait a minute.” He crossed his arms. “How did you know I was going on this mission?”

Jimin shrugged. “Word travels fast.”

Jungkook squinted his eyes. “Jin told you didn’t he?”

Jimin shrugged again. “He might have mentioned it to me.”

“Then I’m guessing he probably told the others to keep an eye on me too?”

“That is a possibility, yes.”

The younger boy groaned. “You guys know I’m not a baby anymore. I don’t need your supervision!”

“Yes, yes, you’re an adult now. But none of us can stop Jin from worrying. You’ve never faced any real threats after all.”

“I can handle myself just fine.” Jungkook claimed, shoving Jimin on the side of his arm.

“Right.” Jimin shoved him back, making him lose balance momentarily. “Then you better catch up with your team before Darius realizes you’re falling behind,” He said while patting him on the back and slowing down so the younger boy was walking ahead of him.

Jungkook nodded and quickened his pace to stay in line with his comrades. When in place, he peered back at Jimin and waved him goodbye.

“Good luck!” Jimin shook his fist to cheer him on. He felt similar to Jin as he watched the boy go. Jungkook was more like a little brother to him, since they weren’t too far off in age, but he too felt like he was sending his own child off into the dangerous outside world.

“Be careful.”

••☾••

It was mid-day by the time each troop had reached the grand entrance of the kingdom walls. Outside of the city was a layer of agriculturally rich farmland that Jungkook thought would go on forever. Surrounding all of it was the magnificent walls that went a full circle around the heart of Alfeira’s main territory. Besides the Blue Moon Festival, the walls were what Alfeira was best known for. They greatly contributed to the many victories they’ve had in battles due to its almost impenetrable design.

He had always seen the tall walls from afar, but now here they were, standing in front of him in all their glory.

“That is a whole lot of wall.” One of his comrades chuckled.

“You can say that again.” Laughed another.

While Jungkook ogled the wall, a large brown speckled horse trotted up next to him. It snorted and bobbed its head upon coming to a stop.

“Crazy, isn’t it?” Jungkook’s intense gaze broke to see Taehyung smiling down at him from on top of the horse.

“Taehyung!” Jungkook beamed, glad to see his closest friend. “It isn’t actually as tall as I thought it would be.” He said half jokingly.

“What? Did you expect the walls to be touching the clouds?” Taehyung teased.

“And what if I did?”

“Then I would consider you very special, my friend.” He laughed while gripping the reins of his horse tightly.

“The doors are going to start opening. You better brace yourself.” Taehyung warned him with a cheeky grin. “I’ll see you soon.” He told the younger boy before guiding his horse forward to join the rest of the band of horsemen.

“Brace myself?” Jungkook thought, but soon found out what his friend meant when the ground began to rumble. His fellow soldiers around him let out a medley of “woahs” and “what the hecks?” It seemed like an earthquake had started.

Along with the rumbling came the sound of grinding gears and metal scraping together. The doors had begun shifting outwards. The creaking noises were enough to make Jungkook cover his ears.

The men on horses had to fight to keep their steeds from throwing them off in fear. One was unsuccessful; having his horse throw him onto the ground and start retreating. Kook noticed Namjoon and Yoongi at the head of the soldiers, keeping their horses perfectly still. He could have even sworn Yoongi’s white horse had taken a few steps forward in the process. That showed just how much the stallion trusted him.

With a loud Boom the doors had fully opened and everything went silent.

“Alright men! Let’s keeping moving!” Namjoon’s voice carried itself to the entire fleet, and the horses began neighing and progressing forward.

“Let’s go, let’s go!” Darius rounded up his troop and trotted on in pursuit of Namjoon’s horsemen.

Jungkook impatiently tried to get a good look over the heads of the men in front of him. He just wanted to see what it looked like beyond the walls.

There was a light breeze that picked up as soon as the doors had opened. It was different on the other side, yet still the same.

Treading on, he could see fields and fields of crops that were mostly corn. The air felt crisp and fresher. He could also make out tree linings and far-off mountain ranges that he couldn’t quite see as well from the city. It was beautiful and new. Everything Jungkook had hoped it would be so far.

••☾••

The soldiers all stopped for a rest by the time the sun began to set. Darius had told the men that the farming village they needed to reach wasn’t much further, but it would be dark when they got there.

Jungkook had sat himself on a makeshift log chair to watch the sunset. All the colors were the same as he had seen back in the city, but the view of the sun dipping behind the horizon was far more fascinating than the walls. It was more natural—a real sight to see.

“Hey, kid!” Jungkook turned his head to see his comrades watching him. They had all been turned inward to a crackling fire to warm themselves from the approaching nighttime cold.

“Yes?” He responded.

“So what’s your story kid?” The man directly across from him questioned.

Jungkook spun around to face the fire and relaxed with his arms resting over his lap. “What do you mean by that?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter