Mysterious Reports

Cry Wolf
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The sound of steel crashing against steel echoed in a busy courtyard, leading back to two boys who were aggressively exchanging blows. Their swords clashed together with such ferocity, one would have thought they were going for blood.

“Watch your step Jungkook!”

“Don’t lose your balance or you’re done for!”

A crowd of men of all ages formed a circle around the two fighters. They cheered as the boys went at each other, displaying impressive swordsmanship.

“Stop going easy on him Taehyung!” Someone yelled from the side, followed by an excited coo that made the other men cheer boisterously.

A bet had been made the day before. A bet to see who the better fighter was. Rank 2 solider, Jeon Jungkook, or veteran officer, Kim Taehyung.

Now, in the courtyard of the Alfeirian army barracks, they were eager to find out.

Back and forth the two swung and continuously canceled each other’s attacks. Both seeming evenly matched. Their movements were sharp and their strikes were fast. It was quite the sight to see.

In Alfeira, it wasn’t every day the soldiers got to witness a fight between an officer and a lower ranking warrior. Crime was currently at an all-time low, and the newly determined peace between the neighboring kingdoms sent Alfeira into a pit of silence. It was becoming boring. Every passing day seemed to be the same thing. So why not spice things up a little bit with a friendly competition?

The two opponents finally separated after what felt like an hour of throwing their blades. No one was keeping track of time at this point except for Jungkook. His ability to keep drawing the duel out longer and longer filled him with pride seeing as his opponent was an officer, and one of the strongest at that.

They stared each other down. Both were panting and sweating profusely, needing a second to catch their breaths. Their eyes were locked and neither of them looked away for even a second.

Jungkook, the boy standing to the left looked completely worn out. Sweat was dripping down his black hair onto his pale neck and face. His breaths were unsteady and ridged. His light armor of only a chest plate and shoulder pads shone brightly under the early morning sun casting a slight glare as he slowly sidestepped.

Taehyung, the older boy standing his ground to the right, smirked at him and waited for his next move. He brushed his brown curls out of his eyes with a flick of the head and lifted his sword, challenging his opponent to strike again.

“Let’s finish this Jungkook.” He said in an attempt to provoke his friend.

Jungkook let out a deep breath and turned his blade so that it was facing Taehyung, “My pleasure.”

The men all “oohed” in unison at his cockiness. And on that, the two hurled themselves back into the fight.

Jungkook swung for Taehyung’s abdomen, but was blocked like all previous attempts. Blades clashed repeatedly. The older boy shoved him back and their swords met again. Taehyung grinned widely, impressed at Jungkook’s efforts, but he decided it really was time to end the duel. He pushed the latter away once more then ducked to dodge an incoming attack. Incredibly, Taehyung spun with such flexibility that Jungkook had no time to react. He jabbed his elbow into the young boy’s right arm, causing him to lose his grip on his sword and recoil back with a loud whimper. He then sent him crumbling to the ground with one swift kick to his feet.

Jungkook landed hard on his back and a chorus of enthusiastic cheers roared from the crowd. Taehyung let his sword hover under the younger boy’s chin in victory. He grinned at the lad but before he could say anything he was suddenly bombarded with a medley of pats and high-fives. Mostly from the men that were ecstatic he had won the bet for them.

“Good job Jungkook!” A shorter male with fiery orange hair pushed his way to the boy’s side and offered his hand to him for help, his sweet smile was reassuring.

Jungkook pouted and graciously accepted. “Thanks Jimin.”

He was heaved onto his feet and greeted by the big toothy smile of another male along with a hardy pat on the back. “Good job Kookie, you did well. “

Jimin began dusting him off and tousled his hair playfully. “Don’t worry, there’s always next time. Right Hoseok?”

“Right!” The older boy nodded in agreement.

Jungkook was slightly embarrassed to have failed in the presence of his seniors. He thought for sure he could finally prove himself worthy of sharing the same title as them; the most sought after title of rank 1 “officer.” It was no Executive General position, but it was one he was desperate to achieve. And he knew he was skilled enough to.

Taehyung appeared again as the crowd of cheerful men began to disperse, some with pockets now full of freshly earned money. After sliding his sword back into its holster, he extended his hand out to his opponent. “You’ve improved.”

“You were going easy on me.” Jungkook said back, taking his hand into a rough handshake.

“Perhaps I was.” Taehyung admitted while wiping the sweat form his forehead.

Jungkook knew for a fact that Taehyung had gone easy on him. He was possibly the best swordsmen the Alfeirian army had. No, he was the best in Jungkook’s eyes. Joining the army at the age of thirteen and achieving the rank of officer at only sixteen. He was amazing. Scratch that, he was incredibly. There was no way he had been fighting at his full ability. If that was the case then Jungkook would have lost the fight in the first couple minutes, if not the first few seconds. He was his role model. It was his goal to be just like him. To be just as strong as Kim Taehyung.

“Watching that fight really worked up my apatite! How about we go get something to eat?” Hoseok suggested as he wrapped his arms around both Jimin and Jungkook’s shoulders. “On me!” He added.

“On you? How could I turn that down?” Jimin chuckled

“Sounds good.” Taehyung smiled.

"Your meal might have to wait.” The cheerful aura amongst the four boys suddenly diminished as a deep voice spoke from behind them. All four immediately turned to face the origin of the voice and bowed a full ninety degrees as their higher-ups approached them.

“Executive General Taegun, General Namjoon.” Hoseok addressed both men.

“Rise.” The executive General’s voice resembled a low rumble of thunder as he spoke. Fitting for his bulky physique and intimidating stature.

The four boys straightened up and awaited their orders with straight faces.

Jungkook felt the urge to quietly slip away. Being in General Taegun’s presence made him feel nervous. He was like a shaggy haired giant with a permanent scowl and a rough face. Most people knew him as the “Tiger of Alfeira.” The toughest of the though. He was no joke, and neither was the man standing next to him. Vice-general Kim Namjoon, the second highest ranking warrior in the army under Taegun. Jungkook was much more familiar with him seeing as he was the one who practically raised him, adopting him into the army as an orphaned toddler. The soldier barracks were basically the only home he had ever known.

“Officers Jung Hoseok and Kim Taehyung.” Namjoon called upon two of the stationary men.

“Sir.” They answered together.

“There is an urgent mission that needs tending to. You both must come with us for briefing.”

Both officers responded with a nod and willingly complied to the general’s order.

With them at his side, General Taegun turned to lead the men back in the direction of his office—the main meeting room of the barracks.

Namjoon fell behind and slowly approached Jungkook, causing the young boy to stiffen.

“Rank 2 soldier Jeon Jungkook.” He addressed his subordinate.

“Y-yes sir!” Jungkook answered quickly.

Namjoon eyed him with a serious expression on his face. He studied the lad and could tell that he was trying his best to stand tall in his presence. There was an obvious tenseness between the two of them, yet Jungkook’s eyes were unwavering as they focused straight in front of him.

Placing his hand on Jungkook’s head, the tenseness suddenly began to melt away. The young boy’s eyes widened in surprise and he nearly pulled back from his senior’s grasp. “You did well.” Namjoon praised him, giving his messy black hair and good tousle.

Jungkook was at a loss of words. His mouth opened, but nothing managed to come out. The soft smile that had graced the vice-general’s lips had his mind in a jumble. He hadn’t seen it in a long time. He could only think to try and mentally capture the visual in his memory for safe keeping as he stared.

Without saying anything else, Namjoon turned around and exited the courtyard. Jungkook still stood there stunned.

“Ayyy, I guess he saw your fight!” Jimin’s voice snapped him back to reality as the older boy patted the small of his back.

“I guess so.” Jungkook shrugged, his eyes drawing back in the direction Namjoon had gone in.

“How about—” Jimin tugged Jungkook close to him with their arms n

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter