The happy Jimin

Negatives

The angry black ink forms a small flower on the paper in front of him. Jimin wants to write, but no words are coming down, just small sketches of meaningless items. Frustration is starting to build up and he spins the pen in his hands, trying to find inspiration in the smallest of things.

He listens to the winter birds chirping outside his window, he sees the snow falling down slowly from the sky and he digs deep inside his own feelings. But nothing comes down, and so he gives it a rest for the day.

Sadness comsumes him then, and he thinks maybe he could write about that. The long gone inspiration which results in a deep down sadness. The otherwise happy boy who fell into depression due to lack of inspiration. Jimin grabs the pen once again, only to drop it minutes later on the empty paper in front of him when he realizes it doesn't make any sense.

---

University is fun. Though Jimin is probably the only one who thinks that. He's studying literature, his favorite subject, and he couldn't be happier about it. Reading is his passion and writing is his everything, though he's in a bit of a slump these days.

That is, until he meets Min Yoongi.

He sees him for the first time on a tuesday in February. On his way to classes, he stops by the cafe for a quick coffee to start his day. The cafe is almost empty, except for one young man sitting in the corner, sipping his iced coffee while having his eyes closed.

He looks tired, Jimin notices, and it's not long until the young man puts his head onto the table and, what it seems like, falls asleep.

Jimin frowns, and then goes back to ordering his usual Americano to take away. Before he leaves he looks over his shoulder in the direction of the sleeping man, whom is no longer sleeping but looking straight into Jimin's eyes. They're strangely enough filled with something Jimin can't put his finger on. Is it lust? Or is he just sleep deprived? Jimin doesn't know, and honestly he couldn't care less, until he's out of the cafe and feels his heartstrings tugging in a strange way he's never felt before. It doesn't make any sense, because he's never seen the man before and he certainly doesn't know him, so why would he feel for him? He shakes the feeling away and takes a sip of his coffee instead.

---

"I hate math!" Hoseok exclaims and throws his hands into the air. "Like, the world would be such a better place without numbers and all that ."

They're in the university cafeteria, and Jimin is munching on an apple while Hoseok is on his third chocolate muffin.

"Like, I really, wholeheartedly believe so," he continues with his mouth full.

Jimin just shrugs. "That's why you shouldn't have chosen to study it, stupid." He flicks his head with his finger and laughs.

Hoseok glares at him and rubs his forehead. "That hurt."

"Suits you well." Jimin marks, and he couldn't be happier he chose to not study math at that time, because he too, hates it. He really does understand his best friend's frustration.

"You know why I chose math..." Hoseok begins with eyes glittering. "There's this guy in my class-"

"Yeah, I know!" Jimin interrupts him before he can go on any further. It always ends with Hoseok crying over his crush, and he's not in the mood for being a babysitter right now.

---

It's not until later that night, when Jimin is home alone in his room with a pen in hand, that he allows himself to think of the young man again. And before he knows it, the words start flowing onto the paper, much like music. There's no stop to it, and he feels alive for the first time in a long time. He writes about the young man, a sad , probably. He writes about him being sleep deprived and depressed, though he doesn't know anything about the man in real life. He just makes things up, and it's so easy for once, because the man had given him inspiration like nothing or no one else had ever before.

And even though he hates math, he takes inspiration from it and the talk Hoseok and him had earlier today. When he feels done, and his hands are shaking from all the writing, he looks down onto the paper filled with text. He reads from the beginning loud in his head:

"A positive and negative multiplied equals a negative. Always. And since I'd always been the happy Jimin, I knew that I didn't have a chance with the sad boy who had stolen my heart at first glance."