Prologue

Negatives

A single glimpse of the daylight is enough for the icicles to form small droplets of water, setting the world in motion once again. The sun is breaking into the second month of the year, and even though it's still winter, when Jimin opens his eyes he's out in the cold in only a t-shirt. It's night, and he's met by a billion stars, lighting up the night sky and painting the sky in a thousand different shades of ivory. He's freezing, and he has no idea why he just woke up out in the cold, but none of that seems to matter as the sky is literally glowing right before his eyes, making his insides glow altogether.

He lets out a pained breath he didn't know he was holding, and the next thing he knows is polluted air mixed with cigarette smoke wrapping around his throat. Smog assorted with a thousand different kinds of fumes; suddenly the world is painted in a grey-shaded bleakness he can't seem to escape. Faintly, he wonders if breathing has always been this hard.

A cough escapes him as he tries to stand up on shaky legs. His lips are dry and his throat strangely feels like a desert. But when little white miracles starts falling from the sky, he doesn't hesitate but lets them fall onto his tongue and melt into the sweetest of water.

That's when everything goes black. And the next time he wakes, he's in his room with no memory of what had just happened.