Of Fathers and Crushes

Of Fathers and Crushes

“Appa! Appa! Appa!” yelled a little girl with short black hair in a feminine version of a bowl cut with a large white ribbon in her hair as she ran towards a tall Chinese man. He smiled at her softly and picked her up with great ease and said “Hello princess how was school?” She grinned at him as he set her down and said “You won’t believe what happened appa!” Still smiling down at his daughter he said “You’re so like Heechul, always dramatic about everything”. She pouted at him and replied “Of course I’m like umma, appa but that isn’t the point. I’m not being dramatic! Something really important happened!” Hangeng chuckled at his daughter and said “Okay, well tell me in the car. We don’t want your umma to worry and call the police to report a missing child”. Taeyeon giggled and asked “Again?” Nodding Hangeng opened the door and waited for her to climb in.

But instead she squeaked and tried to hide behind his legs. Confused as to why his daughter was acting so oddly he looked and saw the source. Kyuhyun an old friend of his wife was walking with her son. She had long wavy brown hair that she wore down, light brown eyes, and pale skin. She wore an emerald green sundress that overlapped in the chest area before turning into two straps with a dark brown buckle on each shoulder, and brown sandals. And a lump on her stomach showed that she was expecting. Hangeng smiled and nodded as she noticed him and waved. She walked over to them and said “Hello Hangeng, and Hello there Taeyeon”. “Hello” whispered Taeyeon shyly peeking from behind Hangeng’s legs. Jinki her son grinned at them and his eyes turned to crescents as he bowed to Hangeng and said “Hello Mr. Han, I’m Kim Jinki. It’s a pleasure to meet you sir”. Hangeng smiled and said “Hello Jinki”. “How’s Heechul-Unnie?” asked Kyuhyun watching Taeyeon with a knowing smile that Hangeng had to admit it scared him.

“She’s doing well, a bit busy with work, but she loves doing what she does”. Kyuhyun smiled and said “That’s good. I would too, but Yesung insisted I be a stay at home mom”.

“Do you mind?”

“Oh no, not at all. It’s very rewarding and Jinki thanks me every day for being there”.

Hangeng smiled and said “At least you enjoy it. Well, I have to get going. Would you like a ride?” She shook her head and said “Yesung should be here any moment…oh look there’s the car. It was nice talking to you Hangeng-ge, Tell Heechul-Unnie I’ll see her around” Hangeng nodded and watched them walk off. He made sure Taeyeon was in her seat buckled before driving off. He passed by Yesung, who had gotten out of his car and was carrying a grinning Jinki, and waved before saying “How Yesung got Kyuhyun is a mystery”. “What do you mean appa?” “Kyuhyun was a beauty, very wanted in high school and in college but she ended up with Yesung who was considered to be a bit of a weirdo”.

Hangeng watched Taeyeon’s reaction through the rear view mirror and smiled as her eyes widened and she sighed but she still married him? Omo how romantic! Together despite what everyone thought!” Hangeng sighed in return and shook his head muttering to himself “Another hopeless romantic, wonderful” before he said out loud “Hey you’re not allowed to be with a weirdo”. She pouted and said “Okay Appa”.

When he pulled into the drive way his wife was standing there with her arms crossed across her chest. Her black eyes glaring at him as he unbuckled himself out of the car. When he opened his door she said “Where were you?!” Hangeng opened the back seat door and unbuckled Taeyeon out of her kiddie seat, and she jumped out of the car. “I stopped to talk to Kyuhyun. Did you know she’s expecting?” Heechul blinked but picked up Taeyeon who had run to her silently listening to her parents. “Again? Aish this girl, loves beating me at things”. Hangeng grinned and kissed her while wrapping an arm around her waist and led his wife and daughter into their house saying “Are you implying, my love that you want another child?” Heechul blushed and glared at him and said “Not for a while!"
Hangeng laughed as they stepped in and took off his coat placing it on the coat rack behind their door.

“Umma!” squeaked Taeyeon capturing Heechul’s attention as they walked toward the kitchen leaving Hangeng behind. “Yes sweetheart?” “Umma, today at school, I fell in love!” A loud crash was heard from the doorway and Heechul smirked and said “omo really? With who?” “Jinki-oppa!” Hangeng ran into the kitchen and said “You are too young to be in love”, smirking Heechul said "Why isn’t love ageless”. Hangeng frowned and said “Don’t encourage her”. Heechul laughed setting Taeyeon down on a kitchen chair and said “Omo, you act like she’s getting married! It’s just a crush. I had plenty when I was smaller!” Hangeng sighed and said “Like that makes me feel better”. She smiled at Taeyeon ignoring her husband and asked “Why?” “Because Umma, he is so nice! Junghee dropped her cookie and she was sad so he gave her his! He plays soccer with Minho even though he knows he’ll lose just because Minho likes soccer. And when older kids try to be mean to me, he sticks up for me! And his smile it’s so nice and umma I’m going to marry him someday!” squealed Taeyeon Heechul grinned and said “You don’t say? Has Jinki agreed?”

Taeyeon instantly frowned and said “He doesn’t know yet…” “You haven’t told him you like him?” gasped Heechul in feigned shock. Taeyeon shook her head and said softly “What if he doesn’t like me umma?” Heechul smiled softly at her daughter and Hangeng said “He’d have to be stupid to not like my daughter” causing Taeyeon to giggle. “He’s so smart appa! He can already count to 100 and he learned the whole alphabet!” Hangeng blinked and said “But you guys started kindergarten two weeks ago….” Heechul chuckled and said “Looks like he got Kyuhyunnnie’s brains too. Hmm Is he anything like Yesung?” “He’s really nice, very respectful, but he has an odd vide, kind of like Yesung” Responded Hangeng. “He’s strange?” questioned Heechul “Yeah a bit weird” at this Taeyeon burst out crying causing Hangeng to quickly hug her. “What’s wrong sweetie?”

Through sobs she replied “appa said I couldn’t be with a weirdo and appa called Jinki weird. So I can’t be with Jinki! Heechul frowned at him and said “Look what you did! You’re already ruining her first crush!” “How was I supposed to know she liked him” he replied defensively. Glaring at him she said “Fix it” Hangeng sighed and said “listen baby, I’ll make an exception for Jinki. And only Jinki” Taeyeon instantly brightened up and nodded enthusiastically and said “It’s okay appa since I’m going to marry Jinki oppa!” Hangeng sighed and helped Taeyeon jump off the chair to her room.

When she was gone Hangeng took her seat sighing. Heechul wrapped her arms around his shoulders and kissed his cheek asking “What’s wrong Hannie?” Hangeng placed a hand on her arms and said as she rested her hin on his head. I didn’t think I’d have to deal with this so soon”

“O when did you think you’d have to deal with this?

“When she was 20”

Heechul burst out laughing and said “Omo, really?! Hahaha you truly don’t know a much about women do you?” Hangeng laughed and stood up wrapping his arms around her waist and she kept her arms around her neck. “Only about the one that matters”. Heechul giggled and said “Who?” Hangeng grinned slyly and said “My mom” causing Heechul to smack his shoulder while pouting. Chuckling Hangeng said “I’m only kidding. Of course my mom is important but I think it’s best I don’t know how to woe her”. Heechul nodded and gave him a quick kiss and called out to Taeyeon to get ready for dinner.