as long as we're under the same sky

Always Love

Through the rumble of thunders and lightning strikes which flash incandesce the windows, the sounds of Jinki’s steps were drowned against the corridor floors as he made his way toward his cubicle. It’s been a very long day, and the same routine had replayed itself for the past few months. It wasn’t about the pressure, not even about the boredom. It was the motive and purpose that he was slowly losing a hold of. Though it was true that he’s the one who’s aiming for the promotion in the first place, and it really was the actual reason as to why he’s willing to struggle by keeping up with deadlines.
 

But now as he glanced at the reflection of himself on his phone, he sighed heavily, questioning if it’s really worth the time he had sacrificed.


3 Missed calls
5 Unread messages


Jinki snatched his coat from his chair and dashed out of the empty office room. He smiled faintly as a colleague whom he passed by the door waved him a goodbye, and then he gave a slight nod of acknowledgement to a cleaning worker on his way.


His fingers felt cold when he was finally nearing the building’s entrance, the chilly air of October greeted him with a breeze that blew his hair. He fixed his coat then wrapped it tighter around his torso, and with a thought to himself reminding that he still needed to walk to the bus stop before he could reach their apartment.


Despite the office situated in a rather close proximity to their apartment -ten to fifteen minutes by bus, Jinki couldn’t help but feeling that they’re gradually drifting apart. And it was his fault.


His heart sank even lower when he noticed a light rain is pouring from the sky. He regretted not bringing an umbrella because it turned out that Kibum is always right. He should have brought one when the younger told him in the morning. Jinki took off his watch, obviously not wanting to get it wet when running under the rain later. He checked it before putting it inside his pocket and heaved another sigh. Twenty to ten, he missed the dinner again.


“You sure took forever.”


A voice from the main entrance jolted him. Jinki turned his head to the source and his feet suddenly felt as if they were glued to the ground when he saw a familiar yellow umbrella with a young man standing under it.


Kibum smiled at him, the action forming a dimple on his pale cheek. Two seconds passed and Jinki finally found the strength to approach the younger with a feeling of unbearable joy, ache, and longing in every step he took. He wrapped his arms around the smaller figure, slowly tightening his hug as he felt Kibum’s left palm met his back, gently rubbing the tense muscles beneath.


“I texted you, you know. But I guessed you were still busy so I figured I don’t need my husband’s permission to come here.”


Jinki rested his chin on Kibum’s head, the soft blonde strands of the latter’s hair tickling his nose when he inhaled the sweet scent that he loved the most. Kibum’s face was crushed on Jinki’s shoulder, he let himself being enveloped by the feeling of safety that Jinki’s warmth radiated. The younger’s ear brushed against Jinki’s neck after some time, it felt so cold that Jinki didn’t dare ask about how many hours he had spent standing there, waiting for him.


“Jinki, I’m okay,” Kibum gently said while lifting his head up to look into the other’s eyes, as if he could clearly read what’s on Jinki’s mind.


At that exact moment Jinki felt even more stupid and guilty. With one look at Kibum’s face, the nonsense accusation he had made earlier suddenly surfaced to his memory, reminding him of how low his mind had let him think. He couldn’t believe he had easily allowed himself to doubt what they have. Years of being in each other’s presence and comfort should’ve given him more than enough to prove the love they had for one another.


Jinki hugged Kibum’s waist and pulled him closer again in his embrace. He kissed the latter’s temple soothingly, at the same time saying reassurances to himself inside his head. He moved lower to Kibum’s closed eyelids and placed his lips softly there, another kiss on the tip of Kibum’s nose, on his cheekbones, and one on his chin before he finally planted it on his lips, with every kiss saying his sorry. He made a promise to himself, that as soon as they got home he’d cradle the younger and lay beside him on the bed, his arm would drape over his body as he whisper sweet nothings to his ear, he would tell him a beautiful story about their first meeting and thousands reasons of why he loves him, he would sing him a lullaby and repeatedly kiss the back of his hand until he falls asleep. And then Jinki would stare at Kibum’s peaceful face and just keep staring, until the love that he felt for the other would overwhelm his chest, suffocating him with a blissful thrill, and put him to rest for the night.


“What’s wrong with you?” Kibum chuckled when Jinki’s lips met his for the fifth time. Jinki just smiled and his hair lovingly.


Kibum bent down to take Jinki’s briefcase with his right hand, gave the umbrella for Jinki’s left hand to hold then clasped their free hands together with fingers intertwined. Giving him another smile, Kibum pulled him lightly to walk by his side.


“Let’s go home.”


Although the rain had stopped, they kept walking under the same umbrella. But deep down in their hearts they believed that as long as they’re under the same sky, everything’s going to be okay.

 




A/N: this was supposed to be a pure fluff but looks like this stupid dark side of mine just showed up and ruined this into some sort of angsty fic -___-" ugh I don't understand fluff at all.
well I hope you don't feel the same about that though =w=
critique? comment? advice? :)
thank you for reading! ^^