Hopeless

Hopeless
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

You hear his melodic laughter despite the distance between the two of you. Along with the sound of the laughter comes the sound of a crack that only you can hear. A crack on your heart to be exact. As Baekhyun wraps his arms around another girl, you can feel the crack getting bigger and bigger. You wanted to look away, you really do. But he has a way of getting your attention unintentionally. You couldn’t look away from his sparkling eyes that holds the universe if you looked closer. You couldn’t look away from his dazzling smile that makes people feel butterflies on their stomach. You couldn’t look away from him even at the expense of your breaking heart, because he was perfect. And you have undeniably fallen for him — your best friend.

He catches your eyes as he pulls away from the kiss with his girl and instead of looking away, you stare at him more, all the while masking your pain by smiling at him. He smiles at you too. Then his girlfriend whips her head to look at you. She gives you a smile as well. You wanted to hate her but you can’t. She’s smart, she’s pretty, she’s nice, and she makes Baekhyun happy. She’s perfect. And perfect people like her deserves a perfect lover like Baekhyun.

Baekhyun has dated many girls all throughout the years you’ve known him. Girls were lining up at his doorstep because he was really good looking. Some girls only wanted a taste. But his current girlfriend was different. She loved him in his entirety. You couldn’t find anything to hate her for. She genuinely loved Baekhyun as much as he loved her. As much as you wanted him to love you…

You raise your glass of beer at their direction and watch as they return the gesture. You gulp down the liquid as fast as you can. You wanted to get drunk. Really drunk to the point where you’d no longer feel the pain. But you couldn’t because you know that when you’re drunk, you say things that are on your mind without thinking about it. And right now, the only thing on your mind was how you’re hopelessly in love with your best friend.

Watchful eyes stare at the exchange. When Baekhyun looks away and continues his conversation with his girlfriend, the person that has been watching you approaches you. You didn’t have to look at him to know who he was, because he’s the only one who worries so much about you aside from Baekhyun. He stands in front of you while you tear your gaze away from the couple.

“Hi, Jongin.” You say softly.

You didn’t have to put on a facade in front of him, he knew the moment the two of you met that you were madly in love with Baekhyun. But for the longest time you have been hiding these feelings, so by now it has been second nature to fake a smile and act like your heart hasn’t been broken in half.

He frowns. “You don’t have to put an act in front of me.”

“I know. I just… I don’t know anymore.” You breathe out.

His eyes soften at your vulnerable state. He has never seen you this sad in public. You had only shown this side to him whenever you two hang out alone, away from people’s prying eyes.

You peek at Baekhyun and his girlfriend again. By this time, his girl was laughing at some joke Baekhyun made. Jongin finds you staring at the couple once again so he side steps, completely blocking your line of sight. You visibly deflate. His act made you feel small but you bask in this feeling because you felt like he was protecting you, and right now, you needed that. You needed someone to help you guard your heart because you obviously can’t do it by yourself.

“Sweetheart…”

You look up at Jongin, eyes suddenly glossy with unshed tears.

“Let’s go home, hmm?”

You nod your head lifelessly. Watching Baekhyun fall deeper in love with his girlfriend had drained your energy so you didn’t hesitate to go back to the confines of your home where you wouldn’t be able to see how the love of your life holds the love of his life.

Jongin grabs your hand and you both look for the rest of your friends scattered in the club to bid them goodbye. Jongin told them he was taking you home because you were feeling sick. Everyone’s response was the same: “Get well soon.” Yeah, you wished you could get well sooner.

The last person you and Jongin s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter