Walk You Home

Portrait of You

 

WALK YOU HOME

 


 

8:30 AM .

The time I woke up ,cause a certain someone unplugged my phone charger to play video games. And my phone alarm didn't go off.

 

9 AM. The first class of my first semester.

 

15 minutes, The time it takes to reach University from the dorm.

 

Super Speed Mode : Activated 

 

I got done with my morning routine as fast as I possibly could, clutched a canvas in one hand and my phone in the other. Running with the small backpack I had on and made it just in time to catch the bus thats heading towards Yonsei universiy.

My phone buzzed to show me a text notification : 

8:50 AM HAECHAN : Skipping the first day of classes eh ?

ME : I'll be there ! Save me a seat next to you !

I finally reached the bus stop and started sprinting towards the art block. Why does this building have to be the farthest from the University main entrance ?


 Room number 112.

Me and Haechan visited this lecture hall on the day we looked around campus. Its the first room after taking a left at the end of the hallway. Not a single student was in sight, I guess everyone's classes have started and I'm the only one who's late. 
              I started semi-sprinting, almost reached the class now , took a left and 

 

* THUD *

 

"OWWWW" 

Looks like I wasnt the only one running late to class. I bumped into this other student and my phone and canvas fell on the ground. All I could see was the back of a pink head of hair in front of me , and hands reaching out to pick up my stuff from the ground. The guy handed me my things, muttered an apology  and continued to run to where he was headed.

I reached my class at last. I open the door of the room and was greeted by all the students and professor looking at me like 'really? this late?'. And then there was Haechan waving at me with a wide smile and gesturing towards the empty seat next to him. What a great start to the semester.

 


 

After an exciting , eventful yet exhausting first day of college,  I came back to my room. I kept my things at the desk, flooped straight down on to my bed, closed my eyes and drifted off to a much needed nap. I woke up around 7:00 in the evening, hungry as hell. I did sleep for a long time. And it's only the first day of uni. Seriously Sarang get yourself together . I started cooking a packet of ramen for dinner.

Just then the door knob turned.

I looked behind to see Lucas.

He's back already? But usually he's not back until late at night.

We had eye contact for about 5 seconds before I turned back around to make it not awkward. I mean it was already awkward but—

 

"What are you making?"

 

He sounds so different today, his voice quite hoarse, almost sad. Is something wrong? 

"I'm just making a little ramen, I was hungry and right now this is the only thing I have-" I tried to explain. 

 

"Can I have some?" he asked in a hesitant yet sweet way. Almost like a kid asking for candy.

 

Oh my god, is he sick?  He sounds extreme tired, and the gloomy look on his face confirms that.

 

"Umm, yeah sure, let me bring an extra packet" I picked up another packet from the cabinet, and added some more water to the pot.

 

He sorted the things around his bed and sat down without making a sound. His worried eyes were starting at the floor, and his thick eyebrows were furrowed. I can't help but feel something is off.

 

"I know it's not my business, but is everything okay?" I asked in a low voice. We're not exactly friends, but we are roommates for now and out of basic decency and concern I have to ask, but I'm not really sure he'd tell me cause we're not that close or anything.

 

He looked up, a bit startled as he was disturbed from his train of thought, "Yeah yeah, don't worry, just some practice stuff" he said, trying to conceal the emotions on his face.

 

It seemed like there was more to it than just practice stuff, but I don't want to pry,

"Oh, did someone bully you?" I blurted out without much thought, instantly feeling stupid. He's training at a multi-million dollar company, not high school.

 

He raised an eyebrow and let out a small chuckle. "Why would anyone bully me ?" he said while smiling. 

 

"Oh, so you can smile too! " I said teasingly.

 

"What is that supposed to mean? You think I can't smile?" he said and showed a huge smile showing all of his teeth. And daaammn he had one heck of a smile. I think this is the first time I've seen him like this. 

 

"How about now?" he said playfully. 

 

"Yeah, you sure can" I said while serving the ramen. There's this sudden warmth that takes over my body, it must be from the piping hot bowls of ramen in my hands — or that's what I tell myself.

 

We both ate two full bowls of ramen while trying to have small talk about our day. Apparently the Buldak noodles are a little too spicy for his taste. I said I would try to make it mild next time, I mean if there is a next time.

 

Eventually he brightened up a little and seemed to be comfortable with sharing what was bothering him, 

"You know, I wouldn't necessarily call it bullying, but these training sessions really take a toll on you, physically and mentally." He said while looking into his bowl and fiddling with the chopsticks, " There's so much competition, the dance and vocal teachers are strict, and there's always this feeling of not being good enough. And the question that lingers in my mind every day, Will I ever be good enough ? "

 

Oh wow. I don't even know what to say. I couldn't tell he was going through such a hard time all these days. Johnny has been a trainee for a while so he's probably used to it now, but Lucas had joined only recently. That, along with the language barrier must make it so hard in him. Also Johnny told me they had a serious monthly evaluation coming up soon, and so he couldn't come help me shift to the university dorm just yet. I guess Lucas is feeling pressurized by the upcoming evaluation.

 

"Don't think like that ! You're probably already great at what you do. They wouldn't accept you as a trainee if they didn't see the potential in you, now would they ? It may seem hard now but in the end it'll definitely be worth it."

 

Lucas nodded his head to what I said, forcing a small smile, it looks as though there's still something on his mind. Like he's still unsure and sad.

 

"And if you're ever low, I can make ramen for you like this ! "

And there was his geniune smile playing at the corner of his lips, holding back a small chuckle.

 

 


 

 

The next day of classes was more or less like the first day. Introduction to the courses, professors either trying to crack a joke showcasing their easygoing nature, or be strict, telling us it's a miracle if we pass the course. One says 'Art is subjective; the simplest paint on a canvas is also art' and another goes into depth of how Modern Art is the tiest thing to ever exist.

People say college is a place where you're exposed to all different kinds of ideas. Didn't think it's be this polar.

 

After class  Haechan and I went to buy some art supplies at a nearby store. We needed Sennelier Oil paints for one class, and there was an early bird discount at the store on campus. And in Haechans words, the last time he missed a sale was when he was 16 months old. I don't know how he came to that number and I didn't ask.

 

There were many fascinating things in the store and my wallet was too small. I'll try to save up to buy some of this stuff later. After shopping and wandering around the store wishing we could buy everything,  we went to a ttoebokki restaurant and ate to our hearts content— or rather stomachs capacity.

 

"We should come here more often, I could sleep here while eating this forever" Haechan mumbled while stuffing his mouth with fishcakes. 

 

"Yah yah! I'm not gonna steal your food. Chew your food." I said.He shook his head while practically inhaling the food. 

 

We lost the track of time at the restaurant and by the time we came back to the bus stop it was past 10 pm.

 

"Sarang, doesn't the last bus going to your stop arrive at 8.35 ? "

 

"What ? I didn't know the bus had timings."

 

"Yeah it's not a personal chauffeur service to drop you home whenever you want." Haechan said while laughing at my ignorance. 

"So what are we gonna do now?" 

 

"It's okay, I'll just call Johnny to pick me up from here" I said while I took out my phone to dial Johnny. 

I called him twice, yet he didn't pick up.

Haechan was looking at me worried while I gave him a reassuring smile. 

 

Johnny picked up the third time "Hey Sarang, I'm kinda busy right now. Mark and I came to .........", It was too noisy to hear, or the phone signal wasn't good, ".......our manager hyung. I'll call you later okay. Bye. " 

He said and hung up before I could get a word out. 

 

"What did he say?" Haechan asked while looking at my phone.

"He can't make it" 

"Then what are we supposed to do!?" he almost screamed. 

"I guess I just gotta wait" I said

"Wait for what ? You can't wait here forever. Especially this time at night. You'll freeze to death" Haechan said while shaking playfully. It wasn't even that cold but leave it to Haechan to be extra. 

 

"Isn't there anyone else you could call ?"

 

The only Korean contact numbers I had in my phone are Johnny, Mark, Haechan and Lucas. Mark is with Johnny, wherever the hell they are. Haechan Lee is with me and this guy doesn't even know how to ride a cycle, let alone drive any vehicle. Also we both blew all our money on the art supplies and delicious dinner— which left us with almost no cash on hand , so calling a cab was out of the question too.

 

  Lucas and I exchanged numbers in case one of us lost the key or something. I had never texted or called him. Is it appropriate to call all of a sudden now ? I really don't have any other option though.

 

Dialing Lucas

 

After 4 rings he answered,

 

"Hello ? "

 

"Lucas, this is Sarang. I know you might be busy, but I'm at the bus stop and I need to get to the dorm. I couldn't get on the last bus and Johnny is busy and I don't know who else to call. Also I don't have any cash with me right now either. Could you please pick me up ? " I said all in a single breath, nervous as to what his response would be.

 

"Just send me the address." he said blankly. 

 

20 minutes go by. Haechan and I were having casual banter walking back and forth near the bus stop and I realized Lucas has arrived when Haechan pointed to a vehicle approaching us and said, 

" Hey I think that's your ride."

 

And there was Lucas, taking off the helmet he wore and placing it in front of him on the motorcycle he came riding on.  He shook his head slightly and a ran a hand through his disheveled hair. He wore all black, and on a closer look he wore earrings too today. Well that's a first. There's a Stark difference in the Lucas I saw yesterday and the Lucas I'm seeing right now. He's like his normal self, with a stoic face and cool demeanor. I can't help but think back to yesterday when I saw another side of him for the first time—

 

"Wow, Your boyfriend looks so cool." 

 

I didn't realize I was zoning out and staring at Lucas until Haechan made this ridiculous statement. I was about to say it's not like that but Lucas beat me to it, 

"Me and her? " Lucas chuckled with his finger pointing at him, then me, " Hahaha."

 

"Yeahh, it's not like that." I laughed along, but I didn't feel like laughing inside. I don't know why but the way he said it hurt a little, or maybe I'm just overthinking. Probably the latter. I should just be grateful that he made the time to come pick me up.

 

"Oh okay! Sorry for assuming.". Haechan said as he rubbed the back of his head with a goofy apologetic smile plastered on his face, "Well I'll get going then! Reach your dorm safely, Sarang. See you tomorrow ! ", he bid goodbye while giving me the big eyes oh my god look while slowly pointing towards Lucas and giving me a thumbs up and made his way back to the university dorms, leaving me and Lucas awkwardly standing here.

 

"Ummm, let's get going then." I my heels to face him.

 

Lucas took out another helmet and handed it to me. I put it on and was adjusting the strap on the bottom to make the helmet fit properly snug on my head. But the strap was stuck and I was struggling to tighten it.

 

Lucas lifted his hands up to my face, " Wait let me do it."

 

I brought my hands down and in the process, his hands brushed past mine. I looked away. The proximity between us was far too close for my heartbeat to be at a normal rate. Without struggling as much as I did, in a swift move he fixed the strap, " There we go."

 

Lucas looked at me and motioned his head to the back of the motorcycle, signalling me to get on. The height of the bike seat is too high for my short legs to swing over and get on without support.

 

"Do you not know how to get on a motorcycle or ?" Lucas asked, giving me a confused look.

 

Well yeah, I've never really ridden on a motorcycle before. I just sheepishly looked down and he seemed to understand, 

"Just grab my shoulders, step on this stand on the right and swing your left leg over and sit down."

 

I nodded and did as he told. I hadn't noticed how broad his shoulders were until now. Well, sitting directly behind him, it's hard to not notice. He started the motorbike and the engine roared. Unintentionally my grip on his shoulders tightened. I mentally facepalmed myself for that. It was a reflex reaction , but still it's kind of weird.

 

Lucas drove through the nearly empty streets with ease. The cold wind hit my face and it was actually a pleasant feeling. Inspire of this cold air, I felt my cheeks burning. Thank God Lucas couldn't see me behind him. I could sense my heart fluttering—that's only because it's my first time on a bike and nothing else right ? It's natural to feel excited for your first time doing something new.  I kept telling myself to calm down and not to embarrass myself.

 

The ride was smooth up until we hit a small speed breaker which made me jolt a little and my helmet bumped into his helmet. Ouch. My cheeks felt warmer. "I-I'm sorry" I said in a low voice. He just waved his hand in response.

 

 


 

 

We reached our dorm and made our way to the room. I asked him whether he ate dinner and he said he had some fried rice and chicken at the company right before I called him.

 I changed into my pjs in the bathroom and settled under the comfy sheets on my bed while Lucas put the bike keys on the bedside table was getting ready for bed too.

 

" Are you going to sleep now?" Lucas asked me while rubbing his eyes, looks like it's been another long tiring day of training, and I burdened him with the task of picking me up.

 

"Yeah."

 

He switched off the light and layed down. 

 

"Also, thanks for the ride today. Sorry for making you have to come all the way and pick me up."

 

 

"'It's okay, don't mention it. 

Good night."

 

 

"Good night" 

 

 

When I looked over to his bed he already closed his eyes and was off to sleep . In all the days of us staying in the same room, he had never said good night. Did he really just say  goodnight  to me?

 

 

This man never ceases to surprise me.