New Horizons

Portrait of You

NEW HORIZONS 

 


 

Seoul.

 

 The place I’ve always wanted to explore. The city I’ve always been fascinated with. It’s the city of my dreams. And now I’m finally making my dreams come true by getting to study here!

 Its funny how though my mom is Korean we never visited seoul. We’d go to Busan once or twice a year during the holidays. It’s my Moms hometown. Quite a lovely place, but its no Seoul.

Though I’m excited to go to Seoul, I cant help but think of how much I’d miss Chicago. My Dad, who is an American, met my Mom while they were working together in Chicago. I was born and brought up here. I have so many great memories here. But its time for me to enter a new chapter of my life.

 

I came to Seoul to complete my university degree, from Yonsei University. My dream of living in Seoul was finally coming true and I didn't want it to fail.

I only knew one guy who stayed in Seoul.

 

And that guy is Johnny Suh.

 

And what is the nature of relationship between me and Johnny you ask ?

We’ve been friends since we were kids. Johnny and I were neighbours back in Chicago. We grew up together. We went to the same school till he came to seoul to become an idol. He always told me he wanted to be an idol. He was a passionate singer and an amazing dancer.

 

 

 

It was tough saying goodbye to my parents. I’m an only child, so they have only me, and im going far away . Tears were shed and after a long hug I departed from them.

“Promise to call everyday !” my mom shouted as my cab to the airport was leaving from home.

I looked back out of the window and gave her a huge smile and waved goodbye.

“I promise !” I shouted.

 

 

After a long and tiring flight I landed in Incheon Airport. I took my luggage and then called Johnny. He was going to pick me up from the airport, and take me to a place where he said I could temporarily stay.

"Hey, I’ve arrived. Where are you? " I asked him

"I'll be there in fifteen minutes or so. Seoul traffic is crazy" he said.

And he specified where I should wait outside of the airport, cause he didn’t want to park saying that its too expensive.

So I just waited outside with my luggage. The weather was pleasant. A perfect combination of sunny and windy. It was summer after all. I looked up at the sky and then all around me, taking it all in. In that moment it hit me. The fact that I was in Seoul and that I’ll spend the next couple of years of my life here. It felt overwhelming, but in a good way. So many aspects of my life are changing, and there's so many new experiences ahead, its going to be crazy , but I just have a feeling that it’ll be good.

I thought about how University is going to start in a couple of weeks. I came here I bit before uni actually starts so that I could adjust to the new atmosphere and also work on my below average Korean. My mom always used to nag at me about improving my Korean. God, I already miss her. Just a few months ago we were arguing about what I would major in. She wanted me to do Law or medicine. But I knew my heart lies in art. It was tough convincing my parents but they eventually understood me and my passion for art. Though they are strict they are pretty understanding too. Hopefully they could visit me in Seoul sometime. We could go to Busan too. Mom would love tha-

 

 

My thoughts were interrupted by tap on my shoulder. I turned around and saw this tall guy smiling at me.

“Johnny!” I exclaimed.

“Sarang ! It's so great seeing you after like forever.” Johnny said and then came in for a hug.

Although it's been few years since I last met him, we stayed in touch.

"Welcome to Seoul" he said smiling. "Thanks Johnny" I said.

"Looks like puberty has done it's thing" I said while laughing.

“ Cant say the same for you shorty" he said.

I was slightly offended for a millisecond, but then I just laughed. Johnny used to call me that all the time when we were little kids. Johnny was always a little bit taller than the other kids. But he grew sooo much taller. I know I haven’t seen him in a couple of years, but still , it came as a shock to me. He was also dressed quite nicely, which was a stark difference from our middle school days.

We loaded the luggage in the trunk of the car and some in the back seat, cause there was so much luggage. I sat in the passenger seat and Johnny in the drivers seat. He started driving and we resumed talking

 

 

“So how was the flight to Seoul?”

“Long, tiring and with no one to talk to. I almost lost my mind. ”

“Congratulations on getting into Yonsei. Its one of the best Universities here. I heard its tough to get in.”

“Thanks! It was tough but you know how my parents are. Always wanted me at the top of my class. So I just studied my off for it.”

“All your hardwork payed off in the end though,right?”

“Yeah. I guess it did.”

“So how is the trainee life going ?”, I asked Johnny.

“Its tiring but fun, cause im doing what I love to do everyday. I am waiting for the day that I can finally debut.”

“You’ve been training for many years now. I’m sure that day will come soon”

Johnny smiled and said “I hope so too”

 

​​​​​​

Just then Johnnys phone started ringing. He fished it out from the pocket of the jacket he was wearing.

His phone displayed a name

 

Mark

 

He answered the phone. I expected him to start speaking in Korean but he spoke in English. Judging from what Johnny was saying during the call, his friend wanted Johnny to pick up food from a restaurant.

“Listen. We gotta stop for a few minutes at this restaurant on the way to the dorm building to pick up some food. How about we grab some food for us too ?”

“Sure. That sounds good.”

It was already starting to get dark outside and I just wanted to have dinner then sleep. I could start unpacking tomorrow. Also I was pretty hungry. They served food on the flight, but you know how airplane food is. Cold and no flavour at all. Plus I’ve been dying to have Korean food.

 

 

“The guy who called just now, is he a trainee like you?” I asked out of curiosity.

“Yeah his name is Mark. He’s from Canada. He’s born in 99 just like you. He’s like a younger brother to me.”

“Oh that’s nice. So you guys train together, right ? ”

“Yeah we eat together, train together and live with eachother.”

“Live with eachother ? Like all the trainees in one dorm room ? Where will I be staying then? ” I asked, worried about having to stay in a place with so many guys that I don’t even know.

Johnny laughed. But it wasn’t a genuine laugh. It was a nervous laugh.

“Don’t worry. You won’t stay in a dorm with a bunch of guys. I arranged a separate room for you. You’ll see when we get there. And anyways its temporary, right ? Your uni will start in no time and you came move to a dorm on campus.”

I hummed in response to that. On such short notice Johnny managed to arrange some place I could stay till uni starts, and I’m thankful for that. Its just a temporary place to stay, so it’ll be alright I guess.

 


 

Soon we arrived at the restaurant. It was a quaint little place on a corner of a busy street which was filled with street food stalls and small cafes. I stood outside the car while Johnny went inside the restaurant to pick up the food. Johnny came back quite quick and we got back on the road.

 

As we approached a huge building, Johnny pointed and said,

“This is the place.”

Waahh. If I could stay in a cool building like this at such a young age then maybe I’d also become a trainee.

“Living the lush life, are we now ?”  I said.

“Its not like that. You’ll see soon.” Johnny chuckled.

 

Johnny took out the luggage from the trunk and the back seat of the car. I carried my backpack and a trolley bag in each of my hands. Johnny carried the rest of the luggage. We’d have to make a second trip to bring the food up.

We went inside the building. I simply followed Johnny. The building was huge and I didn't want to be lost. We went up in the elevator to the 4th floor. He took out keys from his pocket and proceeded to unlock the room.

At the entrance there was a space to take off shoes before entering the room.

It was a large room with 2 single beds against two walls opposite to eachother. There was a kitchen, balcony and a bathroom. Now I understood what Johnny meant by 'You’ll see soon'. Though the building was huge the room was like a typical dorm room. I mean it wasn’t too small or anything. It was quite spacious in fact. But there was just one main room.

“Make yourself at home.” Johnny said, as he set down the luggage.

“I’ll go down and get the food. Alright?”

I nodded my head in response.

 

Johnny left the room and walked towards the elevator. I closed the door but didn’t lock it cause Johnny would come back up in a second anyways. I placed my backpack on the bed and then flopped down onto the bed. I am so tired.

 There was a stack of neatly folded clothes to the edge of the bed. This one is Johnnys bed. I’ll have to sleep on the bed across this one. Never would I have thought I’d share a room with Johnny in Seoul one day. It’s crazy, the kind of situations life puts you in.

 

I took out my phone and messaged my mom and dad that I’ve reached the room. Normally I would’ve called but right now its early morning in Chicago and they’re probably asleep. I hear some footsteps outside the room. Must be Johnny. Thank God Johnny came back soon, I don’t think I can wait any longer to eat.

 

 

But it wasn't Johnny.

 

 

It was a tall guy, about the same height as Johnny, with dark hair falling over his forehead. He had headphones on and was nodding his head to the beat of some song. He was wearing a grey hoodie, with a black jacket over with torn jeans. He looked stunning. So stunning that I almost forgot that he was an unknown man that came into Johnnys room, and I was just sitting there without saying a word.

 

Wait. Come to your senses Sarang. Wasn’t this Johnnys room? Why does this guy think he can just barge in like that. Who even is he?

 

He lifted his head and we made eye contact. He stopped in his tracks. Finally noticing my presence. A shocked expression took over his face. He put down his headphones. He almost looked as shocked and taken aback as I was.

 

 

 

"Who are you?" we said in unison.