Seven Years Later

Cliche Love

Yunho sat down next to his old highschool friend who he hadn’t seen in ages. Drinks were ordered between just the two of them. They talked about their old highschool days and how they lived after they graduated. Yunho did not graduate with him. He moved to America in their final year and had not kept up with any of his old friends. 

 

He happened to meet Siwon a few days ago and they agreed to meet for drinks at a club. Siwon wasn’t his best friend but he was part of the small group that hung out after school. There were a few others in the group but all seemed to be busy or out of town. 

 

“So seven years had passed and now you are back with a fiance. Congratulations!” Siwon raised his glass. 

 

Yunho raised his glass and they drank to his return. They were in a few drinks in before Siwon pointed across the club. Yunho looked to where he was pointed before Siwon just stood up and waved. 

 

“Hey Jaejoong!” He waved again and Yunho could see the face of his old best friend. 

 

Jaejoong smiled and approached them but Yunho noticed the smile fall from his lips when they finally saw each other. 

 

“Hey, Jaejoong come sit with us.” Siwon invited him. 

 

Jaejoong smiled and sat down with them. Siwon ordered another glass and more soju. A glass was poured and they drank. 

 

“So you two used to be best friends and nearly inseparable when we were younger. I bet you two kept in touch.” Siwon filled their glasses again. 

 

“Unfortunately no. I didn’t know he left.” Jaejoong drank his glass. “So what is the occasion?” 

 

“Yunho is going to get married.” Siwon said a bit too eagerly. 

 

Yunho avoided Jaejoong’s gaze. 

 

“Really?” Jaejoong grabbed a bottle of soju and poured a drink. “Let me pour you a drink then.” He filled the glass to the rim and his own glass as well. “Here is to taking the plunge.” They drank. 

 

“Thanks.” Yunho drank the drink. 

 

“You two used to be so close and now it’s like you are strangers.” Siwon noticed the cold air between the two. 

 

Jaejoong smiled. “You are mistaken. I am happy to see my old best friend. It’s just now I am an adult. I have new best friends.” 

 

“Yeah so much time has passed. It’s like we are strangers again.” Yunho added. 

 

“Yeah strangers.” Jaejoong poured himself another drink. He barely glanced at Yunho. “So when do you take the dive?” He asked after he finished his shot. 

 

“Six months. My fiance is coming from America. She wants to find a dress in Asia. She is a fan of a few designers across asia.” Yunho moved his glass to Siwon who filled it. 

 

“A woman.” Jaejoong crossed his legs. “I am sure she will find a designer that wants to dress her. A lot of designers love Americans.” 

 

“She is not American. She moved to America after she graduated. She is from Seoul.” Yunho took his full glass but set it to the side. 

 

“Well congrats.” Jaejoong pulled his cell phone and looked to it quickly. “Excuse me I have to say hi to someone.” He got up and left. 

 

“Wow that was cold.” Siwon drank more. “What happened between you two? You guys were inseparable when we were younger.” 

 

“People grow up I guess.” Yunho drank from the glass he set aside. 

 

They made small talk afterwards. Siwon talked about where the rest of their group was. Then ten minutes later Jaejoong reappeared. He poured himself another glass. 

 

Siwon looked from the direction he came from. “Really Jaejoong? What will your boyfriend say?” 

 

Jaejoong swallowed the drink in one gulp and slammed his glass on the table. “I have an open relationship and besides a BJ that bad technically isn’t cheating.” 

 

Yunho was surprised to say the very least. He looked to where Jaejoong had come from and seen a guilty looking guy emerge from the bathroom. He looked red as a tomato as he walked away. Yunho did not even need to ask about anything. He already read the situation as it was. He was still in mild shock when Jaejoong stood up. 

 

“Speaking of my relationship. I have already had a few drinks before joining you two. I called my lover as I was trying not to get my bit off by a newbie. It was a wasted night. I hope he can comfort me better.” Jaejoong looked to Yunho. “Again congrats old friend. I am sure you will have the wedding you have always dreamed of. I on the other hand am glad my kind can’t get married in this country. It would spoil the fun. Good night Siwon. I’ll probably see you at Junsu’s birthday after the holidays.” He waved at both of them before he left. 

 

Yunho sat quietly stunned by the new information in a short amount of time. 

 

Siwon poured more soju in their glasses and Yunho just stared at his glass. He felt a little dizzy. 

 

“Yunho?” Siwon waved his hands in front of his face. 

 

Yunho immediately snapped out of his hazy stupor. “Jaejoong is dating a guy?” He asked after a bit. 

 

“I guess people really do change.” He laughed and drank his shot. “Jaejoong began dating men shortly after you left. He was caught between two guys, another student and a university student. He thought if they were at two different schools neither one of them would see each other. It worked until the university guy came to pick him up. His two guys fought and the entire school found out. So did his parents. He was kicked out of his home and lived with me until graduation.” 

 

“What?!” Yunho felt as if he fell into a different universe. 

 

“He doesn’t keep relationships long. Two to three months and he switches them out like dirty laundry.” Siwon laughed. “He once had a very wealthy boyfriend. They travelled everywhere but after they came back from Paris, he quit talking to him. He completely went ghost. Poor guy, I never seen someone so upset. Although this guy seems to be sticking. They’ve been together almost six months.” 

 

Yunho drank more as the information found a new home in his brain. “Well I didn’t know he was so popular.” He emphasized the last word. 

 

“He’s a good looking guy but he’s also one of the very few friends I keep in touch with from high school. He used to work here at my club but his popularity kept causing fights.” Siwon drank the last bit of soju. 

 

“This is your club?” Yunho looked at him. 

 

“It’s been mine for three years. It belonged to my cousin but he gave it to me after he got married and moved away.” Siwon looked around the table for more soju but all bottles were empty. “Maybe I should order more.” 

 

Yunho shook his head. “It’s fine. I drank a lot. I should get home. My fiancé will be flying in tomorrow. She will be very angry if I don’t pick her up myself.”

 

“Very well. I’ll call you a cab.” Siwon stood up. 

 

“Siwon wait.” Yunho stood up. “Can I have Jaejoong’s number. I wouldn’t mind giving him a call. I need more people for the wedding. Right now there are more of her family than mine.” He gave him his cellphone. 

 

“Sure.” Siwon took the phone and put Jaejoong's number in it. “Here you are and if you need a place for a bachelor party, I hope you would consider this place.”

 

“I haven’t picked a best man yet but I will visit again. Also next time I’ll bring you an invite to the wedding. She is expecting a grand celebration.” Yunho stood up and took his phone from Siwon after he finished putting Jaejoong’s number in it. 

 

“Well I’ll see you next time.” Siwon bowed slightly and he waved as he left. 

 

Yunho turned to his phone and saw Jaejoong's number on the screen. All memories of their childhood and teenage years came back like a whirlwind. He couldn’t blame Jaejoong's cold behavior because he was very deserving of it. So very deserving.