what emotions do to people

spring rain

The looks in your eyes is something I never want see again.

 

 

If not for the small amount of sun behind the dark clouds, Sojung would assume rain would be falling any minute. To her: Rain was either sweet or bitter. She bit her tongue softly, reminded of the story Yuna had told her and Yerin—the story when she was used as a water shield.

To Yuna: that day, the rain was probably sweet.

Sojung pinched the bridge of her nose as she leaned her head against the window. The color bubblegum and smell of paint filled her mind.

She knew she had absolutely no chance. Zero. Maybe her chances were in the negatives. Sojung sighed. From the moment Eunbi had said “no” to her question about liking Yuna, she knew the girl was lying. While she wasn’t exactly heartbroken, Sojung felt a little bitter that Eunbi wasn’t affected by her blatant flirting.

“Goddamn it.” She clicked her tongue. “Why am I even thinking of her? It’s done! I’ve lost! It's over!”

“Yet you’re still jealous whenever Eunbi talks—actually scratch that, you get jealous whenever she takes one glance at Yuna.”

Sojung jumped back from the window. When the hell did she wake up? She swore Yerin was just asleep a few minutes ago. 

“No, I don't!” Out of habit and shock, Sojung slapped Yerin’s shoulder. “How’d you know I was talking about her anyway?!”

“Who else would you be talking about? Me?” Yerin joked.

“What—?!"

“Plus, I still remember when you suddenly liked the color bubblegum and I was so confused.” Yerin interrupted her with a large smirk. “Then I saw Eunbi and the way your eyes lit up.”

A blush covered her whole body as Sojung pushed Yerin away from her. “I swear Jung Yerin!”

“Awww, Sojung! Your reaction is so cute!”

The little . Sojung was this close from throwing Yerin out of her dorm. But of course, she wouldn’t be able to live without her best friend for a day so Sojung will never ever do that.

“How about you pretend I’m her and practice kissing me?"

Never mind, she might throw her out after all.

Sojung avoided Yerin’s teasing eyes. It was just a joke. There was no need to take it seriously. The girl mentally face-palmed. Still, her stupid heart kept on racing and her face felt as hot as fire.

Goddamn it, Yerin.

“Stay back, Jung Yerin.” She managed to muster up the same playful tone as the girl but knowing her, Yerin already knew that she was nervous.

Still, Yerin simply whined.

“It’s just a joke Sojung, a joke!”

“Just don’t do that!” The girl blurted out.

Yerin frowned. “Oh c’mon! We’ve been friends for…” the girl counted fingers on her hand, “…a few years now! There’s nothing to be scared of!”

“I’m not scared!”

Before Sojung could spit out another remark, Yerin suddenly leaned closer. The heat on her cheeks throbbed. She was sure that her best friend could feel her heart pounding on her rib cage, but Sojung hoped otherwise. 

“That face you’re making proves my point.” Yerin finally backed away.

Sojung let out a huff as the heat died away. “Fine.”

“See!”

“Well, of course I’d be nervous if you suggested I pretend that you’re Eunbi and kiss you!”

Yerin crossed her arms. “Hmm… are you implying that you want to kiss me without pretending I’m Eunbi?”

“Where the hell did that come from?!” Sojung cursed. 

Maybe throwing her out the dorm isn't enough of a punishment for Yerin.

“Plus, you’re my best friend. I wouldn’t really kiss you!” The words were thrown out of carelessly.

The air suddenly turned thick. However, Sojung couldn't notice the awkwardness between them because she was too frenzied from Yerin's words. 

Yerin hung her head low. Before Sojung could process the heavy atmosphere, she looked over her shoulder at the girl.

"I don't think we match together—"

Then she finally noticed.

"—anyway...?"

Her eyes widened. Questions swirled in her mind. Why did she look like that? Sojung pressed her lips into a thin lip. It was just a small joke... yet Yerin’s eyes stared through her as if she was glass. If she looked close enough, she swore she saw a glint of sadness.

Yerin averted her eyes awkwardly and shrugged, like she always did, with a small smile.

"Sojung, I think sometimes you need to shut your mouth." Her smile fell into a gentle frown.

Ice raced down Sojung’s spine. It seemed as if there was a snowstorm occurring around them. The coldness in Yerin's eyes caused her heart to freeze up. She played with her shirt nervously. What was she supposed to say? Why was Yerin even looking at her like that? Like she said something offending. 

A light pang throbbed inside of her. 

“Yerin-ah?" Sojung gulped.

She’s never looked at her like that before.

“You’re…”  Yerin crinkled her eyebrows. “You’re so—“

Just as Yerin was about to speak, the door creaked open.

And in the blink of an eye, it was almost as if Yerin wasn't about to throw icicles at her. Her usual bright smile returned. The girl's gut churned unruly. Still, she didn't want to make a big deal out of it. Sojung quickly turned around and let out a breath she didn't know she was holding at the sight of Yuna.

“Oh, Yuna! I was wondering when you’d get back!” Yerin giggled. Sojung couldn't tell if her laugh was real or not.

However, Yuna's condition seemed much more concerning than... whatever Yerin just done.

On a typical day: Choi Yuna gave them... a sort of day-dreaming smile instead of a quick one. The thing that made Sojung uneasy was her eyes. Sojung's stomach flipped as she stared into them. They were empty. Blank. Grey. Dull glass beads sat in her eye sockets, slowly rolling to look towards her. Her blank expression almost made her freeze up, just like what Yerin did to her a few minutes ago.

Yuna broke the awkward silence by sludging towards the couch.

“Yuna?” Sojung coughed out. “Did something happen?

A creeping weight crawled up Sojung’s back as Yuna stared directly at the ground. It was common for the girl to hide her feelings—especially if she was feeling sad. Still, even as Yuna tried to hide what she was feeling: Sojung and Yerin could practically feel the rising frustration around her.

“Yuna?” Yerin called out.

It was similar to glass breaking; the way Yuna snapped out of her dazed state. She jerked her head up and forced a smile.

Sojung furrowed her eyebrows. Somewhere in there, she could see the same blue in her eyes just as Yerin’s.

“Sorry uh…” Yuna placed a hand on the back of her neck. “Can I ask you guys a question?”

Yerin raised an eyebrow. “Sure…?”

“Have you ever had someone run away from you before?”

The question lingered in Sojung’s mind. 

“Wait—wha, huh?”

Something snapped in the girl. Yuna let out a frustrated yell and stood from the couch.

“That’s exactly what I thought! I don’t…? Did I say something that she didn’t like?! But she seemed fine with it!” Yuna slammed her hand on the coffee table.

“Yuna? What—?”

“Was I really that much of a burden to her? Should have I not said that? What if we never talk again?!” Yuna suddenly stood up and shook Yerin’s shoulders back and forth.

“! Yerin-eonni, Sojung-eonni! I messed up!”

Sojung blinked rapidly. What the hell was she talking about?

“Yuna, what? I’m so confused right now.” Yerin spoke, unconsciously saying the words Sojung was thinking.

“Oh god, Sojung-eonni, you're going to hate me. I can’t deal with this!”

“Calm down! I won’t hate you!”

Yuna suddenly moved to the kitchen table, slamming her hands down on the wood.

“Eunbi! It’s Eunbi! I told her I like Yewon and she ran away!”

Sojung froze. A wave of hot emotions rose up to her chest, occurring quicker than a flash of lightning. Although she could tell Yuna was confused and frustrated, a part of her blood boiled. 

Oh. 

When did she become angry? Sojung looked down at her clenched hands. It happened so quickly that she couldn’t comprehend the urge to grab Yuna by her collar and scold her. Before she knew it, Sojung grit her teeth in an attempt to calm down.

“What?” Yerin coughed out. “You... you ing told Eunbi?! Why?!”

Yerin seemed just as baffled, sputtering out curses and nonsense.

“I don’t know! We were just talking and somehow she asked if I ever had a hopeless love before, so I answered!” Yuna exclaimed with another series of slams against the table.

Sojung pressed her lips into a thin line.“How did she look when she asked the question?” Her lip twitched as she spoke but luckily, Yuna seemed too frenzied to notice her angered state.

Yuna looked at her, exasperated. “That’s the question you’re asking?!”

“Just answer it!"

“I… she…” Yuna buried her face into her palms. “, she looked like she was about to cry.”

Time stopped for a split second. The thought of Eunbi’s tears welling up in her eyes caused a sharp pain in her chest.

Sojung looked down at the ground. A hot stream leaked into her mind, one that contained feelings of sympathy laced with frustration. She couldn’t imagine how Eunbi felt. Considering the girl’s feelings for Yuna, Sojung could only assume that Eunbi was trying her best to hold everything in before everything broke.

In the end: Eunbi’s glass heart was just barely split into two.

“, I—I really tried but she just…” Yuna stared at her hands with defeat. “Now I remember it: the tears in her eyes.”

A switch flipped inside of Sojung.

She couldn’t bear to see her cry—in fact, she couldn’t bear to see any of her friends cry. No matter if it was Yerin, Yewon, SinB, and Yuna: Sojung never wanted to see them in pain.

“How could you have not thought about her feelings?!” Sojung spat out. Her heart got up in the fiery tornado and threw Yuna’s wrist to the side. “Do you know how much Eunbi—?!”

Biting back her tongue from revealing too much, Sojung huffed.

“I didn’t think she’d run away for s sake! I didn’t even realize she was going to cry until now!” Yuna’s voice strained with a form of anger and frustration.

“And why are you even angry at me?!”

“I’m not—!”

“Sojung!” Yerin grabbed her shoulder.

Sojung snapped, slapping Yerin’s hand off of her. “Don’t touch me!” 

Her ice cold words caused Yerin to freeze up. Reluctantly, the girl slowly backed away with a low head.

The broken look on Yerin’s face snapped Sojung out of it. It reminded her of the expression she was given just a few minutes ago. Sojung gulped, and almost immediately, the tornado had vanished. As the wind calmed down inside of her, Sojung filled up with guilt.

“Yerin-ah, I didn’t mean that.” Sojung reached out for the girl.

Yerin simply took a step back, away from her touch, and smiled. “It’s fine. Don’t take it too seriously.”

Turning towards Yuna, she frowned at the sight of her teary eyes. Sojung pinched the bridge of her nose. So much for hating to see her friends cry. Yuna was right anyway. Why was she angry? She shook her head softly. 

Sojung pursed her lips, exhaling a sharp breath. “Sorry.”

“It’s nothing.” Yuna frowned. 

A lump in grew. Sojung rubbed her nape awkwardly as her mind began shifting gears.

“I overreacted. To be honest: I didn’t get angry because of my attraction to Eunbi. I guess it was just more of me thinking about…” 

and there she goes, almost spilling the fact about Eunbi liking Yuna.

“It’s okay, you don’t have to explain yourself.”

The girl looked up in surprise.

“It’s just…” 

Yuna suddenly dropped her head. The pounding in her head was all she could hear. Fire burned her eyes. A large smile spread on Yuna’s face yet it held no feelings of happiness. To Sojung: the girl only tried to trick herself into not crying. 

Her eyes softened as a single tear fell onto the tabletop. Moving towards the younger girl, Sojung gently patted her head.

“It’s okay. You can say whatever you want.”

Yuna buried her face into her arms and let the tears run down her cheeks, yet no sobs left her lips.

Somehow, those tears reminded Sojung of the rain that lurked outside their window.

“What is she feeling right now?” She muttered. “I want to know if I hurt her. I want to apologize. I want to see her.”

Sojung continued to her friend’s hair.

“I feel so… frustrated, mainly at myself, because I couldn’t even… I just wanted to let my feelings out once but I made her… I don’t even know what I made her feel.” Yuna frowned.

She couldn’t remember the last time Yuna talked to her, or even Yerin in fact, about her feelings. Sojung refrained from smiling and gently patted the younger girl’s head. 

“Um, I don’t have the perfect words to say but Eunbi… uh…” Sojung glanced at Yerin who was nervously whispering nonsense to her. “…uh really… cares about you.” 

Yuna’s eyebrow twitched.

“And I know, if you go see her: she’ll appreciate it if you talk to her at least a little bit.” 

“Sorry for taking my frustrations out on you guys but talking like this made me feel a little better about this whole thing.” Yuna laughed, wiping her tears away. 

“You know you can always talk to us!” Yerin yelled, trapping Yuna in a headlock. The girl screamed back in horror but Yerin only tightened her grip,

Meanwhile, Sojung could only watch with a smile.

The tension vanished from the air and Sojung could almost feel the atmosphere rise up again. It only took a few minutes for them to apologize but Sojung felt glad as Yerin lightened the mood. 

Joining in on the fun, Sojung sandwiched Yuna in between her and Yerin. “I promise I won’t yell again!”

Yuna burned in embarrassment, letting out a small cry of help.

They'd made up relatively quick... still, Sojung had some questions about Yerin's behavior but she would ask another day. The girl sighed. Now all she had to do was somehow push Eunbi and Yuna together. Even if she did still have a tiny amount of feelings for the girl.

“Wait! When am I supposed to talk to her? The festival is literally in 4 days and if I don't say anything by then... oh my god, it's going to be so ing awkward."

Yerin rolled her eyes, tempted to gently smack the dense girl on the head.

“Of course you apologize tomorrow! Sooner is better and perhaps you can serenade her with your guitar. I heard that works really well.” Yerin said, gesturing as if she was strumming the strings of a guitar.

Yuna tilted her head. "Really well at what?"

"Wooing—"

Sojung slapped a hand over Yerin's mouth. "—really well at showing your feelings towards her!"

Yuna took the bait... somehow, and nodded excitedly at their suggestion, “Oh, I see now. I hope she likes those kinds of things.”

Sojung let out a heavy sigh. Before she could even start being Cupid, Yerin almost ruined it for her. Mentally facepalming, Sojung nudged the girl’s shoulder.

“Singing might be a little over the top but if she likes your voice, go for it!” Sojung grinned. “And while you’re at it, bring her a gift or something. I'm pretty sure Yewon—ahem! I mean SinB told me about her birthday soon as well!" The girl winked excessively.

“Gift? Birthday? I mean, sure...? ” The more suggestions her friends made, the more Yuna couldn't help but feel suspicious. Still, they didn't sound like bad ideas.

A bright smile formed on Yuna’s lips. The thought of Eunbi smiling with her and blushing caused her heart to flutter. Excitement tumbled in her veins. She couldn’t wait to see her again. Even if it may be painfully awkward at first, Yuna knows it’ll go well.


right?

 


 

 

 

 

it's gfriend missing hours everyday but they're becoming quite active recently... very interesting...! also sorry for this lame chapter, it took long to write bc my brain is fried ;;

okay I just heard that sowon might be in another agency?:?; ahhh the gfriend-shaped hole in my chest is slowly healing ;;