glass heart

spring rain

Glass was fragile—or so she’d been told for the tenth time. Sometimes: Yerin would tell her to be careful of the glass figures in the shopping malls or Sojung would warn her about the flimsy glass window in her modeling studio. She was told all these things but Yuna held a fragile piece of glass with her at all times. Inside her chest. It beat slowly, red staining the smooth surface and took the form of a heart.

Yuna heaved a sigh as she placed one of her many boxes down.

“Jesus Yuna, these boxes are heavy." Yerin complained, preparing to throw herself on the couch. However, Sojung came into the dorm and shoved another box into Yerin’s arms.

“Don’t act like you didn’t have 20 boxes to bring in! You don’t even live that far from the campus!”

Yerin huffed at the older girl. “Excuse me! I happened to move in because I thought you two were going to be lonely!”

Yuna watched as her friends bickered back-to-back like always. She was about to join in on the teasing but before she could, her phone rang in her pocket. One look was all it took for Yuna's mood to suddenly plummet. A cold sweat washed over her body as she scrambled to a quiet corner to answer the call.

“Hello?” She muttered into the phone.

“Yuna? Are you done moving yet?"

Leaning against the wall, she nodded to herself. “Yeah.”

“Good. I don't know if I have to remind but just in case you forgot, you need to sign those papers.”

The voice trailed off in the distance. She could hear faint chatter on the other side—Yuna assumed that it was the assistant talking.

"I remember you telling me... and I remember all too well that I said I didn't want to sign them."

“Yuna, you know we worked very hard to keep the business flourishing. Do you want to let that go down the drain? Our family's hard work?”

She pressed her lips together. “But—“

“But? You'd rather choose your guitar over us? Your family?”

Yuna’s eyes fell to the ground. Her little glass heart trembled inside her chest. A small touch to her heart, maybe even just a poke of a finger, would be enough to shatter it. Guilt resided inside her glass heart, turning the red color into a shade of blue.

Glancing at Yerin and Sojung's faint silhouettes, she frowned. "I'm sorry, I can't talk right now. Sojung and Yerin—"

“Yerin? As in Jung Yerin?”

Yuna didn't notice it but her frown carved deeper into her face.. “Yes, why?”

The woman hummed. “What’s with that tone?”

She refrained from scoffing. The woman always questioned her, no matter what Yuna did. 

“Nothing.”

“Anyway, aren’t there better friends to have instead of the Jung? I know Sojung but I don't know Yerin. Who knows if she'll talk behind your back—or worse, use you?”

Her face turned red. A flame ignited in her gut, burning her veins. There weren’t enough words to describe the anger brewing inside of her. Yuna clenched her fist—her knuckles turning white in mere seconds. How dare she say that about her? Yerin was far off than whatever the woman thought her to be—Yerin was almost the complete opposite. She had no right to say those things about her close friend.

Yuna grit her teeth and opened to spit back an insult. However, she was stopped by a hand on her shoulder.

“Hey Yuna! We need your help out here!” Yerin yelled as if she was in the living room. She looked down at the phone and mouthed the words: "hang up.”

Yuna hung up in a heartbeat. However, the flame didn’t extinguish. Her heart pounded in her chest. It was disgusting. She hated that menacing voice—it made Yuna want to vomit. Turning her back towards Yerin, she looked away shamefully.
 

Then it happened. A crack echoed in Yuna's ear as her glass heart slowly began to break.
 

“Thanks. Sorry.”

Yerin simply smiled. “No need to apologize. I hate that woman as well.” She patted her shoulder. “By the way, Sojung’s friend is here. You should go meet her.”

Her stare was blank. Although she had no motivation to talk, she simply nodded and trudged her way to the living room. The sounds of light laughter and Sojung’s talking echoed in her head. Her mind swirled unruly, a tornado making a mess inside of her. Yuna placed her hand on her forehead. 

These days: she wasn’t getting enough sleep. The stress had been building up—ranging from problems of studying to her family’s business. She sighed. 

Hopefully one day, all the stress would disappear.

“Oh, Yuna!” Sojung called out to the girl. “This is Yewon by the way. She’s basically my sister.”

Yuna greeted the girl quietly. “I’m Yuna, nice to meet you.” Her voice was monotonous as she spoke but she couldn’t care.

The girl named Yewon gave her a soft smile. In her eyes: she clearly noticed Yuna’s behavior. Of course, being a complete stranger, she wasn’t going to barge into Yuna’s life like a truck.

“I’ve heard a lot about you, Yuna-sunbae.” Yewon said gleefully, standing to look the girl in the eyes.

However, she simply shrugged and turned her back towards Yewon. “I’m not surprised. My parents don’t exactly like to keep my status a secret.”

Yewon shook her head. “Sojung-eonni tells me you play guitar.”

Yuna stopped to look at the girl. A small glimmer of excitement shined in her eyes. It wasn’t everyday that someone was interested in her music rather than her status.

“She did?” Yuna let a small smile form across her face. “I hope she said nothing bad.”

“Not at all! It was more like she was boasting about you.”

In the background, Sojung bursted into a heaping ball of flames and lightly nudged Yewon. “Sorry Yuna, I was kinda excited at the time.”

She shook her head and chuckled. “I don’t mind.”

The look of absolute fascination on Yewon’s face was too much for Yuna to handle. Her heart pounded a strange melody as the younger girl came closer with a shy smile. 

“One day, I hope to hear you live.”

Yuna blushed.

“If you want to hear me that bad, I can't refuse."

 • •

On another occasion Yuna had met with Yewon, it was pure coincidence. However, it was the moment she was caught in the girl’s spell.


Yuna stared at the new models of acoustic guitars. It wasn’t like she needed a new one—her black shiny guitar looked as good as new. Though looking at different instruments were fun. Moving to the other side of the store, she breathed in the smell of wood. A weird scent yet it was comforting. 

Her phone buzzed in her pocket. Fishing for the device, she frowned. A voice message. 

“Yuna, I know it's only been a few weeks since I asked and it might be stressful but we really need you to sign the documents. You wouldn’t want to disappoint us, right? Isn’t that the whole reason why you’re going to that college? If you haven’t signed them by May, I’ll contact you. Good day, Yuna.”

She scowled. Just the sound of her voice itched her ears. Yuna grasped her phone, resisting the urge to throw it across the room, and shoved it into her pocket. She placed a hand against the wall and leaned against it. Documents. Contracts. It was all she was ever called about. Yuna felt her breathing slow down.

A heavy weight dropped in her chest. Yuna gasped for air as her lungs swelled up, suffocating her slowly but surely. Everything felt heavy. Her heart. Her head.

Everything.

Darkness developed in the form of melancholy. Yuna refused to open her eyes but she could feel the cool sensation of water on her bare feet. The wall in front of her slowly vanished and a single drop of rain trickled onto her hair. The next thing Yuna knew: a downpour occurred. It hit her like a truck, the pellets of water shooting down at her like bullets.

Yuna squatted down, trying to regulate her unsteady breathing.

Her heart panged. It hurt... just a little bit. She’s always been told she was going to take on the family business and frankly: when Yuna was younger, she was excited. Now that she grew older, there were other things she wanted to do. Perhaps becoming a musician isn’t the ideal money-maker but she liked to do it. Isn’t that what’s important? Yuna shook her head. No. Even if she hated the topic of businesses, she would still uphold her family’s glory. 

That’s why she was born anyway. If she didn’t sign the contracts, she would be a disappointment. Yuna stared at the carpeted ground, her eyes dull as if they were glass beads placed into her sockets. 

“I’ll have to do it sooner or later.” Yuna muttered to herself.
 

The crack in her glass heart grew bigger. If there was so much as a touch of a finger, Yuna was sure it'd break.

 

Entering one of the piano rooms for comfort, her eyes softened as the sounds rang through the room.

Her legs had a mind of its own as it walked towards the music. The rich sounds of a piano soothed her ears. Yuna felt like she walked into a ballroom, golden lights shining down on her as she urged herself to chase the music. Her heart slowed, reaching the source of the sound. Her breath was immediately taken away at the sight of a familiar girl.

Kim Yewon had a small smile on her lips as she swayed side-to-side, her petite fingers pressing the piano keys like they were delicate flowers. 

Yuna stood, entranced, and simply listened to the girl.

Everything about Yewon was attractive. It was the way her eyes curved when she reached a part she liked or when she let herself fall to the piano’s hands. The girl slowly ended the song and looked up. Their eyes connected and Yuna blushed, embarrassed that she was caught staring.

“Oh, this is embarrassing.” Yewon giggled.

Yuna simply shook her head. “That was…” she struggled to find the right words. “Wow."

Yewon stood from the piano bench and smiled. “You like my playing that much?”

“I—I wouldn't mind hearing it again..."

“Should I give you a private concert then?”

If possible, Yuna turned redder than before. She took a step back from the girl and felt herself cower in defense. Yewon was teasing her. She had a smirk and all. Though  she did look cute with that mischievous look on her face.

Yuna averted her eyes, stuttering on her words before managing to form a complete sentence. 

“If… it’s not too much trouble…?”

The shorter girl grinned. “In exchange, you’ll have to play for me, okay?”

A million thoughts ran through her head. Yuna was dizzy as Yewon gave her the most beautiful smile.

“I will!” Yuna said, almost too determinedly. “If you really want, I’ll even sing for you. I promise.”

“I get special treatment already?” Yewon giggled to herself. “That must mean you like me, right?”

“Yes—I mean, yeah but not like that!”

It was impossible to speak with the insane throbbing inside her chest. Yuna was typically a composed person. However, near Yewon her heart suddenly sought to burst out of her chest and fall into the younger girl’s hands. Yuna avoided Yewon’s starry eyes. If she looked in them any longer, she might find herself asking more questions.

“I didn’t know you were so timid, sunbae!” 

Yuna rolled her eyes playfully. “You caught me off guard with your questions.”

Yewon smiled. 

“I’ll be waiting for the day you sing to me live then.”

• • •

Over the months, Yewon and Yuna got to know each other. The two were finally comfortable with setting an actual date for them to play privately. Yewon with her piano and Yuna with her guitar. A full-body blush washed over the tall girl as she stood outside Yewon’s house. It was the first time she came over… what would her parents think?

The door flung open and revealed a doe-eyed Yewon, who looked as if she was waiting for her by the door.

Yuna bit her lip, silently greeting the girl.

“Yuna-eonni, you look a bit nervous.”

She smiled awkwardly. “How could I not be? What if your parents think I’m an absolute menace—or worse, what if I mess up?”

Yewon gave her one of those reassuring smiles and patted her shoulder softly. “I wouldn’t mind listening to you play over and over again—no matter how many times you mess up.”

Yuna refrained from giving the girl a big hug. Her heart grew larger for Yewon, however Yuna never noticed it, and gave her a big thumbs up.

“Okay... but I’ll make sure I’ll play it perfectly, just for you.”

Yewon grinned. “I’ll be looking forward to it.”

The girl felt her shoulders relax as Yewon led her through her house. She never sang for anyone—not even Yerin or Sojung. A part of her was uncomfortable with people’s eyes lingering on her as strummed her guitar. Yet, right now with Yewon, Yuna’s heart was at ease. 

They entered a medium-sized room, equipped with a grand piano and music books. Yuna looked around in awe. It's been ages since she’s played piano and quite frankly: she missed the sounds of it. She gave a small smile to Yewon as the girl pulled a chair over for her to sit.

“A live concert featuring me!” Yewon laughed. “I won’t bore you too much so I’ll play one song.”

Yuna smiled at her. “Play as much as you want. I like it.”

A small blush rose to Yewon’s cheeks and for a second, Yuna felt her heart flutter.

“I’m just making excuse so I can hear you sing for me~”

Yuna urged the butterflies in her stomach to disappear.

"Anything you want, I’ll do it for you." 
 

Perhaps that’s when Yuna began to feel things friends don’t normally feel for each other.
 

“Okay, I’ll start now.” Yewon took a small breath, warming her fingers up with a simple chord. She glanced at Yuna, whose eyes were starry, and giggled. The older girl was so captivated by her—Yewon never knew she could make someone feel like that. 

A tornado swirled in Yewon’s heart as she pressed the keys. Her eyes fell and the smile on her face soon disappeared. 

She had played piano for others before, including Sojung and Yerin. Yewon furrowed her eyebrows while she ran her fingers up the piano. However, to Yewon: playing piano only reminded her of one place and one place only.

It reminded her of a dark room accompanied by the moon’s presence. The curtains rippled as a gust of wind made its way through the open window. She glanced at Yuna and blushed at her smiling eyes. Her heart bursted in warmth and the moon had turned into a warm sun. 

The golden hues spread across her face as she played the piano slowly. Yewon closed her eyes and breathed in the delicate air.

It was crisp and smooth. 

Yewon ended the piece slowly, the piano ringing in the air before it finally dissipated. Although the tornado had vanished, her heart was still racing. She let a small smile return and finally faced Yuna.

“Did you like it?”

“Wah…” Yuna covered as pink dusted across her face. “Kim Yewon, you are…”

Beautiful was the word she wanted to say but she couldn't seem to get it out.

“Isn’t it your turn to play for me now?” Yewon said cheekily. “I’ve been waiting to hear your voice.”

She nodded and pulled her guitar from over her shoulder. Though before Yuna could even the case, her phone rang with that obnoxious sound and buzzed in her pocket.

“Oh, sorry… hold on. I’ll make this fast.” Yuna grabbed her, answering the call without looking at the ID and quickly left the room.

“Hello?”

Static. A wince spread across her face as her ear was tainted by the screaming on the other side. Fear crawled up her spine, bone by bone, as it reached her neck. It tickled the hairs on her nape, constantly breathing down her skin as Yuna listened silently to the voices on the phone.

“Yuna, where are you now?”

Her mood instantly plummeted.

"At… a friend’s house.”

A demon named fear embodied the shadows that cowered over Yuna. She looked backwards, tempted to hang up and run back to Yewon. But she couldn't. She was scared that the fear would catch up to her and swallow her whole.

On the other side of the line, a deep breath could be heard. Rather than calming Yuna’s nerves, it only stiffened them.

“Is this friend a man or a woman?”

Yuna frowned. “She’s close to Sojun—“

“I didn’t ask about Sojung.”

Inside, a small flame was lit in her heart. Yuna clenched her phone and nodded slowly.

“Yes, she’s a woman.”

The older woman sighed. “You know I told you to watch the people you befriend. Yes, I’m still referring to the Yerin girl.”

Yuna rolled her eyes. Every single time. Every phone call had to do something with the people around her. No matter if it was Yerin or Sojung. It was always someone or something else. The flame in her chest grew bigger, waving in the wind as amber crackled underneath the source.

“Why are you always asking about Yerin-eonni? She’s not a bad person. She’s a great—“

“Don’t talk back to me.”

Yuna huffed. “I’m literally just asking a question.”

The woman scoffed. Although Yuna couldn’t see it, she let an innocent smile spread across her face. 

“When did you ever talk with such an attitude? Is my daughter going through a rebellious phase?”

A surge of anger ran through her veins. Yuna slammed her fist against the wall, her breathing heavy as the woman on the other side listened quietly.

“And when did you start referring to me as your daughter?” She whispered, disgust filling her voice.

“Yuna, you’re too sensitive these days.” The woman chirped while looking at her nails. “When you were younger, you used to be so cute. Now that you're an adult, it seems you're... ungrateful of the things we give you."

Yuna flinched. Was she sensitive? She shook her head. The words the woman said were only to get in her mind. There was nothing behind it. Still, Yuna’s heart dropped into her stomach. A hard lump grew in as she looked back in the hall, making sure that Yewon wasn’t hearing her conversation.

“What did you even need me for?”

The woman laughed half-heartedly. Multiple voices were heard in the distance. She was talking like this around others? Yuna felt her eyes burn. Why did no one try to stop her?

“I can't check on my only child?"

The lump in grew larger. Yuna opened and much to her unamusement, she let out a soft croak.

“I… I’m hanging up.”

“Make sure you come home tomorrow night.”

Before Yuna could press the red button, the call ended. She fell against the wall and dropped to the ground. Yuna hugged her knees. 
 

The crack grew larger. It was the third one and her glass heart was on the verge of breaking. 

 

Yuna looked in the distance and it was as though rain rippled across the ocean. The storm clouds were dark—almost black. There was no lightning. Only the rumbling thunder. Her lips parted, watching while rain fell around her but never on her. 

“Yuna-eonni?”

The image disappeared before her. She blinked, recuperating her sight, and looked up at Yewon.

“Is something wrong?”

Her voice was soft. Calming like the waves hitting the sand.

Yuna let her eyes fall and smiled. “No, my legs were kinda hurting so…”

Yewon squatted in front of her. Clearly Yuna was lying but she didn't want to pry. “You don’t have to play for me. I’d rather you rest.”

Butterflies flapped in her stomach. A warm sensation covered Yuna’s body—a contrast to the cold droplets of rain.

“I’m sorry, I disappointed you. Didn’t I?” Yuna chuckled sadly.

The two girls stood, helping each other up. A spark ran through Yuna’s fingers as Yewon’s hand brushed against hers. Suddenly, her heartbeat felt very fast. Unusually fast.

Yewon shook her head. “Of course not! I’m more worried about your health, I wouldn’t want anything bad to happen to you.”

She smiled. “Nothing will happen, I promise.” The girl lied between her teeth. A rocket fell in her stomach as Yewon heaved a relieved sigh. Her heart was heavy. Yuna knew she’d break that promise sooner than later.

“Do you want to eat?”

Yewon grasped her hand. Their fingers barely intertwined yet Yuna felt a blush rise to her cheeks. In a simple act of grabbing her hand, comfort washed over her like a soft blanket. It warmed her heart as butterflies continued to come alive in her stomach. The wings tickled her sides and she smiled softly at the younger girl. 

“You can cook too?” Yuna asked. Yewon had forced her to sit on a chair before running to grab a bowl of rice and pollock fish.

“Just for today. Since you were coming.” She admitted with shy eyes.

Silently thanking her, Yuna raised the food to with a pair of chopsticks. 

“Oh? It tastes good.”

Yewon turned red. “Why do you sound surprised?!”

“Yes yes!” Yuna grinned and clapped. “Kim Yewon is a cook and a pianist! How do you feel knowing that I’m friends with an absolute angel?” She pretended to hold a microphone up to Yewon’s lips.

The girl took a step back, her cheeks burning as Yuna stared at her with smiling eyes.

“Stop teasing me!”

• • •

Yuna sneered at the large house. She wished to never return so soon after moving out but just her damn luck! Holding her fist tightly, the girl entered her old home.

There were no greetings. Just a single blank stare and eyes that followed her as she took off her shoes and switched them to slippers. Yuna didn’t dare greet back either—her eyes were more than enough to express her distaste.

“Oh Yuna.” A tough voice came from down the hall and a smile immediately replaced her scowl.

“Father.”

The older man smiled. “Glad to see you home again, feel free to grab a drink before we sit and talk.”

Yuna simply shook her head, making her ways over to the living room. “I’m fine.”

“Yuna, you do know why we are having a talk. Right?”

Her bright face fell at the woman’s voice. To Yuna: a snake tongue snapped out of her lips, slithering around her like a rope. The room turned dark and all she could see was glowing snake eyes. They stared at her, devouring her from the inside-out. Shivers ran up her back. She tried to ignore the uneasiness in her stomach yet her body trembled.

“Not really.” Yuna answered swiftly.

The snake-like woman glared. “How could you not know? It’s about the contract that you’ve been holding off for months—May is still the deadline but it’s better to sign it sooner than later.”

Yuna’s heart sunk into her stomach. Suddenly, her whole being felt empty. Like a dark void with no noises—no smells or anything. It was just her body, sitting like a lifeless puppet.

She looked down at the ground before sighing. “What if I said I don’t want to? I have other interests and none of it is running a whole company.”

“Yuna!” The woman raised her voice. “You entered college for a business degree. Are you going to drop out? You know how much money it cost us?” 

Yuna turned her eyes to her hands. They were shaking. Was she scared?

“It’s not—“

“First: you waste our time, and now you waste our money.” The woman softened her voice, acting as if she was the one who was hurt. "Why do you cause so much trouble? You know, sometimes you can do what you’re asked.”

Her words slashed into her heart. Yuna clenched her fists, blood leaking from her chest and soaking her shirt.

It hurt.

“I’m sorry.” Yuna held her breath as she said the words. Before she knew it, her eyes were burning.

“Sorry doesn’t give us back the time and money. If you were really sorry, you would’ve signed the sheets and returned to school already.”

As time went on, the woman slowly shifted to resemble a snake. 

There was a certain innocence in her words. One that tried to cover up the spite and hatred. However, Yuna could still hear the anger as clear as day. No matter what innocent smile or calm tone of voice. Her breath hitched as a large snake slithered around her leg. It crawled up, wrapping around her and looked over Yuna’s shoulder, hissing into her ear.

“And since we’re all here, I might as well talk about the other concern.”

Confusion filled the girl. “What?”

Her father stood. “We are worried about your love life Yuna. You haven’t had many relationships in the past.”

“If you don’t find a man soon, we will.” Yuna’s mother added on.

Her bottom lip trembled. She kept her eyes locked to the ground, afraid that if she moves: the snake would bite her. A relationship was the last thing she needed. Especially one with a man. Yuna closed her eyes tightly. Her heart was pounding and racing with adrenaline. Ever since high school, she hadn’t told them that she was attracted to girls.

“Is that really big of a concern?” Yuna asked quietly yet her voice still trembled.

Her mother pinched the bridge of her nose before her hand slammed down on the wooden coffee table. Yuna flinched as the sound echoed throughout their living room.

“Fine. You know what? Just don’t listen to me then.”

She finally lifted her head and frowned. “It’s just—“

“Yuna, you’re really putting us in a tight situation.” Her father stepped in, placing an arm around her mother’s neck to comfort her.

Yuna looked at them in horror. She thought her father was the good out of her parents. For once: she actually liked her family life just because of him... but they were both the same. They didn’t care about her. They didn’t ask what she wanted or asked how she felt. 

They've never cared about her.

Yuna’s mind swirled, a storm cloud floating into her head as lightning struck down. She couldn’t tell if she was angry, or simply just sad.

“If I sign to take over, do I have to find a… person to marry?” Yuna’s voice came out below a whisper. A part of her was afraid that one of them was going to ask to speak up, but luckily: her father nodded.

“The business is more important than a relationship. So no, it should be fine—at least find someone you like before you hit 25.”

Yuna refrained from scoffing. So there wasn’t even a way out of that either. 

“Is it okay if I sign it in May?” Her voice sounded like a child. A terrified, scared child. Yuna cursed herself and dropped her head in shame.

“If that’s what it takes for you to sign it, then fine.” Her mother said, an obvious scowl dripping in her voice. 

“I think it’s time you go back to your dorm.”

Yuna immediately stood.

“Okay.”

The night engulfed Yuna’s small stature. She considered calling a taxi to drive her back to the dorms but somehow, the moon was calming. Yuna looked up to the sky and breathed in the smell of moon dust. Still, as comforting as it may be, it didn’t lift the weight in her chest.

Everything turned dark. Yuna didn’t bother to lift her head as she walked in an abyss of shadows. Her footsteps echoed in her ears—calling out signs of help. The screams in her heart slowly leaked out. Yuna furrowed her eyebrows, fighting back the tears and the sadness that tainted her.

Sometimes, she wondered if it really mattered.

Was it wrong to be sad? Was it wrong to cry? Was it wrong to feel these things?

Was it foolish to feel weak?

Yuna didn't know.

She clenched her shirt and squatted down on the sidewalk. She didn’t know where she was taking herself. The moon wasn’t bright enough to lead her. Tears slowly fell from her eyes, trickling like rain as it stained the concrete. Yuna made sure not to look up or else her eyes would be puffy and if that happened: Yerin and Sojung would ask what happened. Letting the tears drip directly down, soft sobs left her lips.
 

Glass shattered across the concrete. Yuna gasped, trying to catch her breath as her fragile heart finally gave out. 
 

Yuna shook her head, lightly slapping her cheeks. She hated to be vulnerable. Even as Yuna continuously punished herself for crying, the tears never stopped.

“Choi Yuna, get a hold of yourself!” She choked on her words, slowly giving up. Her cheek burned with red hand marks on her face. 

Perhaps there was nowhere to go after this. 

Yuna stood, wiping her eyes tear-clean before looking back up. She froze at the sight of a girl watching her from a few feet away.

The girl held a plastic bag, looking equally as shocked as Yuna. 

“Yuna-eonni…” her voice was as soft as a dove. 

“Yewon?"

In mere seconds, she dropped the plastic bag and ran towards her. Yuna stumbled back as Yewon brought her into a tight hug. The girl’s arms were warm, unlike the cold night. Yewon’s hands desperately clutched at her clothes as if she was afraid she was going to run away. Yuna couldn’t bear to look at the girl. Or else Yewon would see her weak.

“It’s okay to hold me back, you know.” Yewon muttered into her shoulder. “It’s okay to cry.”

Yuna’s bottom lip trembled. She bit her lip to prevent it from shaking but it miserably failed as she let out a soft sob. Yewon’s soft hums were like heaven to her ears. Burying her face into the girl’s neck, Yuna let her tears run down her cheeks. She didn’t care if her cries were loud anymore. Her sobs echoed in the night, filling the air with the emotions she’s been holding in.

“Yewon, it—it hurts.” Yuna fought to let out words but they only came out as shaky and incomprehensible. “I hate it.”

But Yewon could understand it.

“You’re not alone. I’m here now.”

Yuna shook her head. “Don’t leave me, please.” She cursed herself for letting her emotions run her mind but at the moment: Yuna didn’t have the mental capacity to even control it.

“I won’t. I promise.”

She held the girl tighter and let Yewon her back.

In that moment: Yuna didn’t realize how her heart handed itself over to her. It sought protection and comfort—something Yewon had. The warmth that Yewon possessed, the arms she offered, and the smile she gave was something Yuna has always longed for. 

Yuna hid her face in the crook of Yewon’s neck and cried quietly.

“Thank you, for being here with me.”


 

Eunbi stared at her, shock written all over her face along with sadness.

Maybe it was a bad idea to tell her. No. She trusted Eunbi. She knew the girl wouldn't judge her. Yuna looked away. Because in a way, Eunbi reminded her of Yewon. They both had the same warm arms and smiles. It made her heart flutter.

 “I didn’t think I’d be telling this to anyone.” Yuna broke the silence.

The latter stayed quiet. She lowered her head, shameful of the jealous thoughts swirling in her mind. Deep inside of Eunbi, the red rose wilted. It’s petals broke off the pistil, fluttering against the ground. She witnessed as her heart slowly cracked and the yellow tulip emerged out of thin air, growing at an impossibly fast rate. Eunbi clenched her hands into fists and turned her back towards Yuna.

“Don’t you want to tell her?” The words came out quiet. “Doesn’t it hurt to keep it in all this time?”

Yuna eyed the ground. “Yeah. It does.”

Eunbi turned around. “Then why don’t you—“

“I want to be able to tell my feelings properly.” Yuna said with a smile. 

She’s always wanted to tell Yewon. If not for the fear lurking by her. Yuna knew there was nothing she should be scared of yet it still creeped behind her back, waiting to strike. The things she felt for Yewon was to be told when Yuna finished her song. 

Closing her eyes, she chuckled.

“I want to sing this song and fulfill my promise to her.”

The girl looked at her with disbelief. “But when… will that happen?”

“During the festival.” Yuna blushed. “Do you think that’s too cheesy? I’m not sure if Yewon’s into those things…”

Eunbi held the hem of her shirt. Yewon knew Yuna longer than her, she shouldn’t feel the things she was feeling. No, it wasn’t just that.

It was the fact that there was no way Yuna would ever think about her the way she thought about Yewon.

Shame filled the girl.

“I’ll support you when the day comes.” Eunbi’s voice came out shaky. She cursed herself and hoped that Yuna was too distracted to hear it. “I… hope it goes well.”

I’m lying. Why am I lying?

Yuna smiled. “Thanks.”

Eunbi looked down at her hands as they trembled. She could feel Yuna’s eyes looking at her, burning holes into her whole being. What is she thinking now? Anxiety crawled up her spine. Why was she so anxious about the way Yuna thought about her? Eunbi shook her head, trying to get the thoughts out of mind but it worked to no avail.

“Eunbi? You look… stressed.” Yuna got up from the stool and brushed her finger against her hand. “Do you want me to walk you back?”

Her heart beat faster at the contact. Eunbi avoided Yuna’s eyes and laughed nervously.

“I’m—my paintbrush... it’s… the paint is going to dry.” She somehow managed to speak a full sentence while moving her hand away from Yuna’s.

Yuna frowned, a bit disappointed that Eunbi pulled away from her touch. “I can help clean.”

Eunbi refrained from letting jealousy take over and smiled softly. “It’s okay, you should go back and finish up your song in time for the festival.”

“But—“

“I told you it’s okay, I don’t want to be a bother.”

“Eunbi,” Yuna hooked her fingers around her wrist. “You know you could never be a bother to me.”

She froze. Her words creeped into her heart and that damn smile! That damn smile that made her mind swirl and her knees buckle. Eunbi looked down at Yuna’s grip on her wrist. She liked her touch. It was soft, as if Yuna was afraid she’d break her. The worry in her eyes, Eunbi shamefully liked. The attention. She wanted it all for herself. 

No… she wasn’t like that, was she? Eunbi furrowed her eyebrows.

There was no way in hell that she had feelings for her. Not when Yewon already had Yuna's heart.

“Let… go of me, please.”

Yuna’s grip loosened on her wrist but she didn't let go.

The swirling quickly transformed into a tornado. It spun inside her head, throwing her thoughts into a disorganized mess. Eunbi couldn’t tell what emotions she was feeling any more. Was she shameful? Sad? Jealous? Or was she happy for Yuna? Eunbi pressed her lips into a thin line and jerked her head away from Yuna. She couldn’t look at the girl. Not now. Not when Yuna trusted her with her feelings.

“Let go of me.” Her eyes burned. “Please.”

For a second, Eunbi could feel Yuna’s grip tighten around her wrist. Then she let go.

"Eunbi... please tell me if I did something wrong. I don't want to make you feel like this."

Is this what Yuna felt? All those times when Yewon talked with her, is this what she felt? These stupid butterflies and the way her heart thrashed in her chest.

If so, Eunbi hated it.

I don’t....” She let the emotions run warm in her blood. The jealousy, sadness, anger and everything Eunbi felt was coursing through her. 

She wanted to run away from it all.

“Eunbi?“

Can I run? I want to run.

"I think... I have to go." Eunbi ripped herself away from Yuna.

Her legs had a mind of its own and ran off, almost bumping into the door as she left. The way her heart throbbed was abnormal. It hurt yet it felt good. Eunbi clenched her hands as she ran as fast as she could. 

Her heart painted a picture. The only color was blue with different shades and hues. Eunbi took a peek and was stunned. She clasped a hand over , watching as blue dripped from the canvas. It was raining. Rain trickled down and washed out the paint, turning the blue into a dull color.

Eunbi didn’t know what she felt anymore. Even the canvas that represented her heart was messy, dripping with paint and rain. She was sad—yet happy. She was jealous but supportive. 

Underneath the mess of feelings, Eunbi knew the one emotion constantly swirling in her heart.

 

She was ashamed of the feelings she felt for Choi Yuna.







 

eheh I'm not sure if I did this flashback stuff right but here it is! I'm still getting used to writing again so apologies for any confusion or grammar-mistakes/typos ;; I hope I portrayed what both characters are feeling well(??)

anyway remember to stay safe and support gfriend ^^