Chapter three

The train girl
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

University bulldozed its way back into my life a couple of weeks ago, hence the late update. I must be honest with you, I'm not entirely satisfied with how this chapter turned out and I am very worried about the next. Nevertheless, I plan to wrap up the story with the next update and I hope I can give it a good end. So, that leaves us with only one chapter left. Thank you so much to everyone who read and suscribed. Big shout out to the ones who left a comment, sorry for not replying.

“Unnie? The train girl?” She almost shouted in disbelief. Wheein’s eyes almost popped out of their sockets.

“You’ve got to be ing kidding me.” Said the younger looking at the retreating figure of the train girl.

But hell no, she wasn’t. This whole discovery made her dizzy with countless thoughts and she tried to make her spinning vision stop by pinching the bridge of her nose. She should have seen this come as soon as Hyejin had displayed how excited she was for the runway. Oh boy, she wanted to punch the fashin major so much her right hand balled into a fist on its own. And by how effortlessly the “unnie” rolled from Wheein’s lips, there was no need to be a genius to realized she had fallen into their trap.

“You are telling me that the last model is your train girl.” The younger half-stated and half-questioned.

She opened her eyes -didn’t notice she had closed them- and looked straight into the pupils behind the mono-lidded eyes of her younger friend. She surveyed those eyes, searching for the mischievous gleam that always gave away Wheein and Hyejin’s pranks. But she couldn’t find it. They were instead coated with a layer of curiosity and incredulity, and behind them she saw a flick of annoyance, so subtle she doubted its veracity.

“I knew you guys were up to something.” The show ended and there was a lot of rattling sound and chit-chat. She let all of the noise engulf her for a few seconds until her junior placed a hand on her shoulder, popping the sound-proof bubble.

“Let’s go get you a coffee, you look like you just saw a ghost.”

“I wish I did.”

“Deep inside you’re thankful.”She awkardly winked, with a funny smile and her head tilting slightly to the side. She looked so cute Byul was barely able to keep her tough facade.

“Shut up.”

The younger then started talking about the show while they made their way to a coffee shop nearby the university. The senior always enjoyed talking with Wheein about anything that required creativity. She loved the sparkle in her eyes, how her ample smile accentuated her cute dimples, the way she moved her body in exaggerated gestures or how her voice was full with the most pure  crystal clear excitement. It was sweet listening to her stumbling on her words, demonstrating her amazement with weird sounds and onomatopoeia. Yet, this time the economics student couldn’t shake off the feeling that her friend was forcing the conversation, stretching it to its limits in order to not be questioned, because indeed, Buyl had quite a lot of questions. There was also this suspicion of Wheein not wanting to show through her responses that she was actually mad at her childhood friend for not including her on the plans, but that was only a hypothesis.

There were a few hours left before the party started, so they opted to take out their drinks and make their way to a small gallery art where someone Wheein followed on Instagram was holding a exhibition. In between deciding whether she should rather have an iced americano or a smoothie, and listening to what kind of artist the guy was, Byul let the train girl business slip to the back of her mind.

*

*

*

Back a the university just when the party was about to start, they made her way to one of the multiple tents the student set up as changing rooms, guiding themselves with the screenshot of a map showing a red X. Hyejin had arranged not only the whole after party thing and fashion show tickets, but she had also made sure to get them a locker to leave all of their stuff. Not that the fashion mayor wasn’t the kind of person who wants the best for her friends, but her being so attentive had made Byul fear for her life. Yet, Wheein hadn’t acted strange all these days, and she wasn’t the best at keeping secrets from her, so that’s why she couldn’t connect the puzzle together.

Now without Wheein’s incessant chatter (a sign of the younger not wanting to be questioned), the whole thing hit her like a bucket of ice-cold water and made her swirl in confusion once again.   Nonetheless, even if she just didn’t know whether to feel ecstatic or scared, she needed to take this chance.

She tried to bring up the topic but the younger dodged it gracefully, announcing they had arrived at their tent and then commenting on how thoughtful the idea was. Sensing that pressing the matter further would prove to be futile, Byul decided to get ready, both physically and mentally, for whatever was awaiting for her.

The older had brought with her a black tank top and a seen-through red and orange sheer top, she knew her baggy shirt would be drenched in sweat by the end of the day. She let her body change her over-sized tee for her party clothes on automatic pilot. And then put on the most natural make up she could think of. Summer nights were hot and the high humidity clung to the skin, quickly turning into sweat beads. There was no point on doing something elaborated if it was going to melt away with the weather.

On the other hand, her brain went on hastily joining threads, creating stories and discarding them for seeming implausible. She already knew that Hyejin had planned it for sure. What she couldn’t just understand is how was even possible for her to find out who the train girl was among the hundreds of fashion students, specially because Byul didn’t know her name, she had barely guessed the school she attended to. And then you had Wheein referring to her with a way too affectionate “unnie”, but you could also hear the faint grunts of disapproval to her childhood friend for not including her in whatever messed up plan this was. Trying to understand how all of this worked only made her head spin in confusion.

“Unnie, is your brain still working? You’ve been looking at that lipstick for a while.” Quipped the younger, casting a short mocking glance before turning back to her on-going make up.

“Ah, yeah, sorry.” Mumbling she finished her lips.

Before Byul could built up the courage to speak, the culprit of her nervousness came into the tent, clad in a tight red sleeveless dress which emphasized the right places of her body. Her shoulder length hair had been curled a bit to add movement and her outfit wouldn't be complete without a vibrant lipstick and thick make up that enhanced her features. Byul’s body reacted to that exotic view with a tremble. Yet, the anger she felt surpassed the gay alarms going on her brain.

“You two look great!” Squealed the fashion mayor admiring them. Wheein wore olive baggy shorts and a sleeveless black crop top. None of them was really dressed to impress a fashion student.

“You’re saying that because you don’t want us to be mad.” Wheein intervened with a pout.

“No, you look absolutely stunning. Less is better, don’t you think?” reasoned the youngest, so fast there was no doubt she was trying to get away without getting angry at. “Now, there’s a party waiting for us,” she said opening her arms above head level. She then casted a glance at Byul, her lips upturning into a smug smirk. “And maybe girls waiting for some of us too.”

She winked on the senior’s way, causing a vibrant red shade to spread all over her cheeks. She was taken aback at how carefree she was acting, but she wasn’t planning on letting her get away.

“Wait a minute, Ahn Hyejin. Would you mind explaining what’s going on?” Questioned the blonde crossing her arms over her chest, not a single intention to follow her friend.

Hyejin sighted. She looked defeated, more like a dog that was scolded for biting the toilet paper and making a mess all

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter