Final

Getting To Know You

1. Jessica is always ever so slightly late and won’t run.

Taeyeon sighs as she checks her watch for the umpteenth time. She contemplates between giving Jessica a phone call or texting her and asking about her whereabouts. Just when she makes up her mind and reaches inside her purse for her phone, she spots her slowly approaching from afar. She crosses her arms and leans against the wall, trying her best not to grin when Jessica stops in front of her and tilts her head to the side.

“I’m sorry for being late,” Jessica says, a charming smile on her face as she links her arm with Taeyeon.

Taeyeon shakes her head as she slides her hand along Jessica’s arm. “Late, again.”

Jessica giggles and leans over to kiss Taeyeon’s cheek. “You know my number one rule is to never run. I’m already late; why run and waste all my energy?”

Taeyeon laughs as they step onto the footpath and walk towards the restaurant they’ve booked for dinner. “You’re incorrigible.”

“And you love me despite that.”

“I do.”

 

2. Never, ever, suggest a cucumber facial. Ever.

“My face is so swollen,” Jessica says, pinching her cheeks and pouting as she inspects her reflection. Taeyeon smiles and opens the fridge. She grins when she finds what she’s looking for and holds the green vegetable up in the air.

“Cucumbers are good for rehydrating skin.”

“Taeyeon!” Jessica says, recoiling and backing away from the cucumber. She bumps into the wall and stumbles but continues to move away from the foul vegetable, her nose wrinkling at the smell emanating through the air. “Are you insane?”

Taeyeon almost bursts out in laughter at Jessica’s reaction until she realises that Jessica’s disgust is actually genuine.

Needless to say, Taeyeon learns a very important lesson that day.

Jessica Jung doesn’t like cucumbers.

 

3. Jessica has sophisticated tastes that you never seem to keep up with.

Taeyeon gasps when Jessica drives them to a fancy restaurant in the upscale part of town, her mind a mess when Jessica pulls her along and pushes her down into her seat.

She takes one look at the fine dining menu and drops it onto the table. “Jessica,” Taeyeon says, reaching over to hold her hand.

Jessica smiles and rubs her thumb on Taeyeon’s palm.

“Please, let me spoil you.”

Taeyeon relents, but only because she later spends a significant amount of money on a diamond necklace.

(She spots Jessica adorning the jewellery in one of her photoshoots and it makes her heart beat wildly knowing she’s always on Jessica’s mind.)

 

“How many bags do you have?” Taeyeon asks, blinking when she takes in the neatly organised shelves filled with designer bags and shoes. She hears Jessica step behind her and slip her arms around her waist, her head resting on her shoulder as she pulls her back into her.

“One hundred and one. One hundred and three if we’re counting the two in the process of being delivered to my house. Oh, actually one of those is yours so one hundred and two for me.”

Taeyeon groans and closes the door to the walk in wardrobe shut.

 

4. She loves it when you softly sing into her ear and hold her close.

Sometimes Jessica gets extremely jealous when Taeyeon doesn’t spend time with her (she knows, because Jessica huffs until she gets consecutive kisses in a row to pacify her). Most of those times, she finds Taeyeon lying in bed strumming a guitar as she works on a new melody or covers a song she’s been listening to on repeat for the past few days. Those songs never end up being officially released; only heard by Jessica Jung in the four walls of their bedroom.

“Are you married to your guitar?” Jessica asks her once, squealing when Taeyeon turns around and pecks her lips.

“No, I’m saving myself for you.”

 

It’s no secret that Jessica loves her voice, which is often why she finds herself in bed with Jessica tucked under her chin. It only takes one pleading look before Taeyeon concedes defeat and sings into her ear, her voice the only thing that can be heard in the room.

Feels like pretty doesn’t know me
Only shows up when I’m lonely
Through the tears of imperfection
The mirror knows
Could you like someone that’s hoping that
They crawl out of their own skin for a time?

If I was your girlfriend, could you love for two?
If I was your girlfriend, could you pull me through?
To make us fly
To make us fly*

Jessica laughs and falls into her, her lips finding their way to the corner of in the dark.

“I’m already your girlfriend though.”

“Hush, let me sing.”

 

5. Jessica has a tendency to hog all the blankets to herself (but she’ll wrap her arms around you as if she’s your blanket).

Oftentimes when Taeyeon wakes up in the middle of the night, she finds that her body is uncovered and cold whereas Jessica sleeps peacefully beside her and snug in all the blankets. She sighs and reaches over to tug the covers back, her breath hitching when Jessica grumbles in her sleep and rolls over and into her. She feels Jessica’s arms encircle her waist and her legs wrap around the bottom half of her body, trapping her in and preventing her from moving away.

Taeyeon giggles silently and allows herself to be enveloped in Jessica’s embrace, even if her girlfriend keeps all the blankets to herself.

 

6. Jessica loves it when you sleep in because that’s extra cuddle time with her.

When Taeyeon hears her alarm go off, she reaches over Jessica to switch it off. She chuckles when Jessica’s arms pull her back down to lie beside her and pokes her chin when Jessica’s legs lock her in place.

“Stay,” Jessica mumbles cutely, her head buried into Taeyeon’s shoulder as she runs her fingers underneath Taeyeon’s shirt.

“I wasn’t planning on getting up so soon.”

Taeyeon feels Jessica’s mouth curve into a wide beam and knows her girlfriend is satisfied with that idea when she feels tiny kisses being pressed along her shoulder and up to her ear.

“Good. You belong here with me.”

Taeyeon releases a little silvery laugh and tugs Jessica closer by her shirt to kiss her. “You’re a mystery.”

“And I’ll be your history.”

 

7. Even if you might argue and ignore each other, you always make a point to tell Sooyeon that you’re in love with her. (She’ll come running into your arms later when you’re about to fall asleep, because neither of you know how to sleep without the other.)

If relationships were easy, then Taeyeon wouldn’t find herself in constant disagreement with Jessica almost every other day. It ranges from clothes lying strewn across the bed and floor to who’s turn it is to buy groceries and other necessities.

Maybe it’s the constant stress of their lives, with Jessica being a designer and Taeyeon being a singer that they find themselves constantly fighting back and forth and shouting at each other across the room.

Sometimes they hurl hurtful words at each other and they both know it’s not true, but they’ve been looking at life through negative lenses for so long that sometimes it’s all a bit too much.

“I don’t even know why we’re in a relationship in the first place!” Jessica says, throwing her hands up in the air in exasperation.

Taeyeon’s mouth opens and closes as she tries to form a coherent sentence, her chest burning from Jessica’s words. She knows Jessica’s terrified and immediately remorseful of her words, her face whitening in shame as she reaches forward to grasp for Taeyeon, her hand, any part of her she can hold on to. She shakes her head and backs away towards the door, a lump forming in when Jessica steps forward and then stops a few metres away from her.

“I know why I wanted to be in a relationship with you.” Taeyeon smiles sadly, her grip on the door knob loosening as she steps outside into the hallway.

“I’m in love with you, Sooyeon.”

 

Taeyeon finds herself struggling to fall asleep, which may partially be due to her lying down on the most uncomfortable sofa in the world. Stupid. She shifts and turns her body again to find a comfortable position, sighing when she rolls onto her back again and stares blankly at the ceiling.

She begins to count down, her eyes slowly closing shut as she tries to lull herself to sleep. She faintly hears soft footsteps padding across the room and feels a weight settle down beside her.

Taeyeon opens to speak, stopping when she feels a wet tear on her hand.

“I’m sorry,” Jessica says, her voice hoarse and tired. It makes Taeyeon sit up and tilt Jessica’s head up with her finger, her thumb lightly brushing her tears away.

“It’s my fault. I’m sorry,” Taeyeon says, gasping when Jessica wretches her face away and leans forward to wrap her arms around her frame. She feels Jessica’s tears run down her neck as she buries her head into her hair and breathes her in. Her heart drops to her stomach when Jessica releases a tiny whimper and tightens her arms around her, as if Taeyeon would somehow leave her and she doesn’t have any part of her to hold on to.

It’s silly, Taeyeon thinks as she runs her fingers through Jessica’s hair and smooths out her tangles.

You anchor me.

Jessica sniffles and presses a wet kiss on the base of Taeyeon’s neck. “When I said I didn’t know why we’re in a relationship in the first place...I know why.”

Taeyeon doesn’t say anything as she continues to card her fingers through her hair. Jessica leans back and looks at her, her face a mix of pleasure and pain.

“You’re the reason I have a purpose for living. You’re the one who reminds me to keep living because I can’t imagine my life without you. I love everything about you. I love you so much it hurts me to see you like this, knowing it’s my fault.”

Jessica cups her face and presses kisses after kisses on her lips, imprinting herself and letting Taeyeon know that she has all of her.

Taeyeon returns her kisses with equal fervor, her hands meeting the familiar curve of her back as she pulls her in closer.

She tells Sooyeon with her kisses, with her touch, with her words, with her heart.

I’m in love with you.

 

8. Remind Sooyeon that she is loved and loved by you (because she sometimes forgets how you’re deeply in love with her).

It starts with the little notes Taeyeon leaves on the kitchen island.

Taeyeon always makes it a habit to write encouraging messages for Jessica, knowing she has a certain fondness for words. She takes her time to think about what to write and makes sure each message is written with care and all the love she could give Jessica. She then tucks the note underneath the house keys and beside the tea pot, knowing Jessica loves her morning tea before heading into the office.

(She later finds out that Jessica stores each and every message in a tin inside her chest of drawers and takes them out from time to time to read again and again.)

 

Taeyeon’s often the person who rises early in the morning and Jessica’s often the person who arrives home late. Nevertheless, they try to make things work by finding time out of their schedules for secret dates and dinners.

Sometimes, Jessica arrives home too late at night to go outside. On these nights, Taeyeon takes it as a responsibility to make them dinner and lay out Jessica’s pyjamas while she takes a relaxing shower.

Jessica tells her ‘I love yous’ with her kisses as they hold each other at night and drift off to sleep together.

 

Taeyeon counts down the seconds to her single release, beaming widely when the clock strikes six pm. She waits a couple more minutes and laughs when she receives an incoming call from the one person whose opinions matters most. She slides her thumb across her phone screen and begins her phone up to her ear, giggling when Jessica squeals on the other side.

“Your new song! Taeyeon! Did you release a love song?”

“I did.”

Jessica shrieks again, causing Taeyeon to pull the phone away from her ear for a few seconds. When she hears Jessica’s breathing return to somewhat normal, she places the device back against her ear. “It’s about you, Sooyeon.”

She hears Jessica begin to breathe heavily and smiles softly. “You know how much I treasure you. I just wanted to release a song about you.”

She chuckles when Jessica sighs, her voice gentle and tender.

“When you come home, I’m going to kiss you silly. I love you so much.”

Taeyeon finds herself wishing for time to fast forward so that she’s back in Jessica’s arms.

 

9. Even if it hurts, even if it’s ecstasy, you promise that you’ll love her forever.

Taeyeon’s scrolling through her phone and listening to her voice memos of random singing snippets and ideas of inspiration when she feels a pair of arms wrap around her neck from behind. She feels Jessica’s hair tickle her cheek and turns her head to the side, her lips meeting the corner of Jessica’s upturned lips.

“Hello, you,” Taeyeon says, laughing when Jessica unwraps herself and slides into the space beside her before placing her arms around her again.

“Are you married to the music again?” Jessica asks, frowning when Taeyeon throws her head back and giggles. She crosses her arms in front of her chest, a pout forming when Taeyeon leans forward and kisses her softly.

“You know I’m saving myself for you.”

Jessica nods, satisfied with that answer, and leans in, catching Taeyeon’s bottom lip with her teeth. She gives it a soft nibble and smiles, not letting Taeyeon move too far away from her.

(Not that Taeyeon would ever want to do that.)

“Do you know how much I love you?”

Taeyeon smirks and tugs Jessica in by her shirt, trying her best not to laugh when Jessica moans softly and slips her arms around her neck.

“Very much, I think.”

She yelps when Jessica reaches down and pinches her waist and immediately rectifies her statement. “Okay! I know you love me very much but please don’t pinch me again. You don’t want your girlfriend to be in pain now, do you?”

Jessica giggles happily and slides her hands under Taeyeon’s shirt, reveling in the way she arches her back as she unclips her bra.

“Sooyeon?” Taeyeon says, cupping Jessica’s face and rubbing her thumb lightly on her jaw.

“Yes, Taengoo?”

Jessica looks at her like she’s her world, her dreams, her everything.

I love you.

 

 

 


A/N:

*Nao – Girlfriend

You can find me on Twitter for drabbles/ficlets when I'm not writing a story or you can ask me anything on Curiouscat.