023

Marauder
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Why can’t you stay till dawn?”

Baekhyun ignored her question for the second time, as he adjusted the collard of her nightgown and started tying its ribbon over her chest.

“Baekhyun, oppa must be awake already. Why don’t you meet him and-”

“I already regret the past few hours.” Baekhyun raised his head to meet her gaze, and instantly looked away as meeting each other’s gaze almost brought that heat and passion back. “What if I cannot return? What if I-” he stopped himself, sighed, and stood up while typing up his robe. Gayeon stood up with him, and walked towards the window as he hurriedly opened it. “I will give you one day. And if you do not return, I will come searching for you.”

Baekhyun turned, and silently stared at her for a long while. Then he closed the distance between them and pulled her into a kiss again, kissing her lips first, and kissing her forehead in the end. “I will be back.” he her head, and left the room through the window.

And left the girl with her aching heart to cry till dawn.

* * *

When the sun started setting that day, Gayeon started getting impatient, as not only Baekhyun, but her brother also had not returned from the palace. Junmyeon had left early that morning even before Gayeon had exited her room, and till now, not even one servant sent by Gayeon had returned with any news about him.

“Let’s just wait a little longer agassi…” hyunjoo had visited Gayeon, and the two girls were sitting in a garden bench as Hyunjoo was afraid to enter the mansion and meet Junmyeon’s mother’s rage. “Lord Kim must be working on the case. Let’s give him a little bit more time.”

“I should’ve told him about Baekhyun.” Gayeon whined. “Oh God why didn’t I…”

A tall figure entered through the front gate, and strode towards them, making the two girls rise up to their feet. “Jongin!” Gayeon rush to him. “What’s going on?” Jongin asked. “It’s taking too long to receive any news from the capital. That’s why I came back. Felt really uneasy about sending hyung alone.”

“He needs your help Jongin! He didn’t listen to me and-”

“You met him?” Jongin cut her off with a question. “When? Where is hyung now?”

“He came here last night. Said he’s going to Prince Jeonghoon’s wife’s holiday house.”

 

“You knew Byun Baekhyun was heading there?”

All three of them turned around to see Junmyeon standing a few yards away from them. He approached them, glaring at his sister. “Why didn't you tell me Gayeon? Do you have any idea how foolish it is? That holiday house has the tightest security!”

“Help him oppa.” Gayeon reached for her brothers hand and begged him. “Please… he didn’t want me to tell you because that might bring trouble to you as well! That’s why I couldn’t tell you…but it’s been hours since he left…”

Junmyeon turned to Jongin. “If I avert their attention, can you break into the house and help out Baekhyun?”

“Sure thing.” Jongin shrugged.

“Then come with me.” Junmyeon turned to leave, but turned back to Gayeon with a warning glare. “Stay home. You’re not allowed to step out until I return home.” he then looked at Hyunjoo. “Look after her Hyunjoo, please.”

* * *

After sneaking into the holiday house in a hay cart, Baekhyun had gone through each and every room of the large house, which contained more than fifty bedrooms and numerous sitting halls as well. And he had found a peculiar looking small room which contained nothing but a small chest and a bamboo wall screen as furniture. He had broken the lock of the chest and searched through the books inside, and beneath all the books was a large ledger, containing all the details about the bribery Prince Jenghoon had taken from merchants, and his official seal that clearly gives away how he had stashed funds to rebel against the King.

Baekhyun had pocketed the ledger, and right when he was about to leave the room, rushing of feet of servants were heard outside, and the voices showed that an important visitor had arrived at the holiday house.

It was none other than Prince Jeonghoon. He had decided to take a seat in the sitting hall right outside the room Baekhyun was in, leaving Baekhyun no option but to stay hidden behind that wall screen until the crowd outside had retired into their rooms.

He stood there for nearly two hours, and when he had almost given up on waiting and thought to jump off a window despite the risk of guards outside, Baekhyun heard a familiar voice from the sitting hall.

“Forgive us for intruding, Your Highness.”

It was Junmyeon’s voice. “But I’m here to conduct a search in your holiday house as we have received some strong clues about a rebel against His Majesty the King. please cooperate with our search.”

“Kim Junmyeon…” Baekhyun heard the Prince’s arrogant voice in reply. “What gives a mere young secretary such audacit

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter