Chapter 4

As Fate Would Have It
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The next 5 days or so passed like a blur of nerves and panic for you. You wanted to get that phone call saying they had chosen you.
You /needed/ to get that phone call!
But, at the same time, you knew that to take this course in life was not only risky, but heartbreaking. You would have to leave behind the father and stepmother that you loved so dearly for only the /chance/ at fame. What other opportunity would you ever have?

"I still can't believe that they made you /sing/ when we /clearly/ said you could act! You'd be a better actress than a singer! And they didn't even test your acting abilities? That's just absurd! He should have told us before that he was looking for a singer, not an actress! Then we could have declined immediately!" Your mother's voice seemed to echo from every corner of the room as you finished making lunch for the two of you, your stepfather at work, luckily.
"They said that I did well, though." You reminded her, turning off the stove and setting the table. Your mother used to cook all the time, but now she hardly ever touched the dishes, leaving it all, instead, for you to deal with. At least she never complained about your cooking.
"They only said that to be nice, honey." The words stung. If your own mother didn't think that you could sing, then maybe what they'd said really /was/ just to be nice. But hadn't they also said that if you didn't do well, they would simply test your acting abilities, instead? And considering that they didn't, you either really /had/ done well with the singing, or you did so horribly that they wouldn't even consider you as a possible actress!
Maybe they just didn't like something about your personality...
"Don't look so glum about it." She rolled her eyes at you as she heaped her plate with food. You wouldn't mention this to her, but since you had come to live here, your mother had obviously gained some weight. A small victory for you.
"Well how /do/ you want me to look? I'm getting nervous, you know. They said they would call in a week and-"
"It's only been, what, 5? 6 days? Something like that. So calm yourself down and eat." She rolled her eyes once again as she began to eat as though she were starving.
"I'm not hungry." You had been only a few minutes ago, but everything she'd said only seemed to damage you, upset you, and now, you didn't think that you could stomach eating anything at all.
"Don't go starving yourself. It's not going to make you skinny. It'll only make you sick."
Really? Had she just worded it like that?
You walked out of the room before she could say anymore. You went to your room, first, slipping on a pair of knee high socks underneath your jeans, grabbing your purse, then going back downstairs to leave on a walk. You needed to get out, and though your bedroom was typically a safe haven from your mother, it had begun to feel like the room was closing in on you. Like the walls were squeezing the life from your body.

You shoved your hands in your pockets, feeling your cellphone settled at the bottom of the right one, your fingertips caressing it carefully. You had only called your father once since you'd been here, you realized. And you hadn't had the heart to tell him you might end up staying in South Korea, so he had no idea about the audition.
But now... now you /had/ to tell him. You wanted to talk to him and you wanted to talk to Angela, your step mother. You wanted to call your friends and tell them about everything. But you hadn't had the heart to until this moment.
So your footsteps lead you towards a small park, one that had become a bit of a secret hideaway over the last few days. People were there, of course, but they never payed you any mind as you took off your socks and shoes and sat by the side of the lake, dipping your bare feet into the cold water.
You let out a soft sigh as you followed the typical routine, the lake coming up just past your ankles, but no higher than that.
Perfect.
After a few short minutes, you took your cellphone from your pocket, checked your reception, and hit speed dial 1.
Home.
Now that you thought about it, they might both be asleep. It /was/, after all, somewhere around midnight there. But, if you could at least catch /one/ of them, that would be good enough for you.
There was a small click and your heart leaped.
"Hello?" It wasn't your father, but it was Angela. You had kind of hoped that it would be your father, but Angela was fine, as well.
"Hi~" You voiced back, almost in a sing song voice, the happiness spreading through you.
"SooYon! It's nice to hear from you! How have you been?" She asked. In the background, you could hear her shutting off the television in order to give you her full attention. You were grateful for this. Your mother wouldn't have bothered to do such a thing.
"I've been alright. Homesick, though." You admitted, splashing the water with your feet, wondering how deep it /really/ was.
"Well, don't worry. You don't have too much longer before you can come home! When's the wedding?"
"It's next weekend." You replied. Everything was already planned, and though you already thought of JungHan as your stepfather, it was only now that you remembered that they weren't /really/ married yet. Your mother would probably take you to find a bride's maid dress sometime soon. Another typically decently fun experience for her to ruin, you assumed.
"Ah... well, I hope you have fun with it~"
"I doubt it. Mom's been... well, let's just say that I really wish I were at home with you and dad." You heard Angela give a soft laugh, making you smile.
"Just tough it out, kiddo. You'll be fine~" The words were reassuring, maybe more so than she realized. But they weren't helping you to deal with your mother, no. You could have handled her without the encouragement. What they were helping you with was what you were still scared about.
"Hey, Angela?" You started, voice already wavering a little bit. Of course, she picked up on it immedia

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter