CHAPTER 3

BLOODY DAISY - English Version

The two of them met at the café inside the hotel where Lee Seunghyun was staying. Kwon Jiyong seemed to get ready soon to meet him after calling and telling him about his request to do an autopsy on Seungnie's body.

Two handsome men faced and glared at each other as if they wanted to test what they have in their minds because this conversation was no joke.

“I didn't expect that you would agree to my request, Kwon Jiyong'ssi. What caused you to change your mind?" Lee Seunghyun who asked the first time. The man in front of him was silent but then reached into the pocket of the executive coat he was wearing and took out a passport along with the travel ticket and put it on the table.

Lee Seunghyun reached out to take the thing and look at it. Instantly his gaze back into Kwon Jiyong's eyes, which were still staring at him sharply.

“Looks like Seungnie is planning to meet you, Lee Seunghyun'ssi. It makes me wonder if the closeness you said before about your recent rebuilding relationship between you and Seungnie was this close that she would rather run to you than to her husband when she has a problem,” the man said in a cold tone.

Lee Seunghyun let out a long sigh, then leaned his back against the chair he was sitting on, returning Kwon Jiyong's eyes that looked suspiciously at him.

“I have told you honestly about the form of our closeness so far. Apart from telephone and video calls, Seungnie has never shared any problems with me until suddenly she sends a message asking for help. My current position is as confused as yours, Kwon Jiyong'ssi. I also can't predict that Seungnie will buy the plane ticket. If she really wanted to see me, she could call to say it beforehand but she didn't. This means her plans to come to Quebec were urgent thinking." The man who works as a detective expressed his guess.

Kwon Jiyong heard the explanation with a face full of doubt, but then he let out a long sigh.

"Seungnie has never said anything to me either, but telling me you're being after years of our marriage, that sparked my doubts that everything is not okay," the man said angrily. Lee Seunghyun furrowed his brows,

“You suspect me, Kwon Jiyong'ssi? If I may ask, what causes you to distrust my intention to reveal this case other than the fact that we are strangers? My existence doesn't really matter here, the crux of the matter is that my only sibling has been killed. And I will try to reveal it, with or without your help."

Kwon Jiyong saw a look of anger in the man's eyes. If he looks closely, how Lee Seunghyun's eyes stare sharply and hard are the only ones that are not similar to Seungnie's, but his nose and lips, lips that he never got tired of kissing all this time, Seungnie's lips that always make him passionate, look nothing but similar.

Kwon Jiyong got rid of his wandering thoughts, he refocused on their conversation, no matter what, this man is a stranger he just met.

“I am a businessman, Lee Seunghyun'ssi. Don't underestimate my way of identifying someone's hidden tendencies. What do you have in mind when you find out that Seungnie is married to a billionaire? If you just want to make yourself visible as Seungnie’s only brother to me and expect anything from the wealth under her name, you are wrong. Because you won't get it. "

Kwon Jiyong's words made Lee Seunghyun's heart which was already boiling with anger became worse. The man's hand gripped tightly restrained by his common sense not to make a scene in public, where he even brought two of his bodyguards on guard during this conversation. After all, even though he is a Korean born, he is a foreigner here, because now he is a Canadian citizen. Making trouble here is not a wise thing to do.

Therefore the man was only silent for a moment to control his emotions, then got up from his chair.

“I think we will talk about more important things than this kind of talk, Kwon Jiyong'ssi. But it seems you are not in the mood to do so. I will only do the best I can as long as I have a residence permit in Korea to prove my assumptions." The man bowed his head briefly and was about to walk away before suddenly Kwon Jiyong stood up and grabbed his arm.

“Lee Seunghyun'ssi, sit down, please. I came really to talk about my intention to do an autopsy on Seungnie as you said yesterday. I apologize if my words offend you."

Lee Seunghyun's plan to leave that place stopped when he heard the words spoken from Kwon Jiyong. And the man's hand gripped his arm, felt tight and serious made him turn around and look back at the handsome face of the man in front of him.

“I thought you weren't serious when you said it on the phone earlier,” Lee Seunghyun said and saw Kwon Jiyong avert his gaze before removing his hand from him.

"Oh, I'm serious. And even now the process to disassemble the tomb is underway. I did it quietly with a special team that I asked directly to handle it." The man answered softly and then returned to his seat, while the other person returned to his occupied seat before.

“You didn't tell me about that…” Seunghyun really didn't expect that this guy had done the action he was previously opposed to.

“Regarding the autopsy… I don't want… I won't be able to watch…” Jiyong stopped speaking until the silence was created between them.

"I will be there to witness it."

Kwon Jiyong Lee Seunghyun stared who issued the words the ability for things that are not going to possibly be done, watch the autopsy team will cut and slice his beloved wife's body. Lee Seunghyun looked back at the man's eyes with a look that somehow softened, no longer sharp and the anger that had been seen was not left there. Strangely that eye contact made Jiyong feel calmer and relieved, and the man nodded his head with a sigh.

"I entrusted it to you."

 

*********

 

With Kwon Jiyong's lead, Lee Seunghyun got in touch with the people responsible for disassembling the tomb and the autopsy process for Seungnie's body. The man really had the power to do everything in silence, without much fuss as if it never happened.

Witnessing the examination of the body to the autopsy has become a common thing for Lee Seunghyun as a detective. But even so, when he found out that the corpse they were examining was the body of his twin sister, he made the man's feelings stirred, between extreme sadness, pain, and anger he had to endure. He had to keep repeating himself that this was a crime he had to solve and tried his best not to imagine Seungnie's face at all in this investigation.

A forensic and toxicologist doctor at a well-known hospital in Seoul was appointed to perform an autopsy on Seungnie's body. Lee Seunghyun watched the autopsy from a room separated by a mirror, they prioritized examining the internal organs.

Seunghyun could hear what the doctor who performed the examination said and everything the forensic team did was noted and recorded in detail. Seunghyun knows based on his experience so far, it won't be difficult to know if the cause of death of the victim is due to cyanide poisoning.

He waited quietly without looking directly at the ongoing process and just listened to every word of the doctor carefully, all recorded in his brain well.

Seunghyun clenched his jaw when the doctor said that there were many reddish corpse bruises on the victim's body, indicating that there was a possibility that the death was caused by poison. The doctor confirmed his suspicion and with a pounding heart, he waited for the next step as they began to dissect Seungnie's body.

A few seconds he waited. If this doctor is really the best doctor as said by Kwon Jiyong, then the doctor will definitely find other indications that are no less important when he performs the first surgery.

There was a coughing sound, the forensic expert snorted and cleared his throat. Seunghyun often hears different reactions from every expert doctor he has met when they find out the truth about the condition of the corpse, because not every doctor can find out only with their sense of smell. But Seunghyun was convinced by the reaction that came from the forensic expert who dissected the body of this twin sister, and he heard what he needed to hear.

"I smelled bitter almonds when the autopsy was performed on the chest and abdomen. The second indication of poisoning, the victim died from cyanide. "

 

******************

 

Kwon Jiyong paced back and forth in front of the guest sofa in his office which was cluttered with items that were previously on his desk while staring at the autopsy results on his wife's body, while Lee Seunghyun sat silently in front of the man. His face looked furious and tense even after venting his anger by tearing up everything on the work table.

How dare them! Who would have been so desperate to do this to Seungnie? Kwon Jiyong looked back at the document in his hand, the document that looked crumpled still displayed a very clear text about the cause of Seungnie's death due to respiratory failure due to cyanide poison and a recommendation from an expert doctor referred to an investigation into this matter.

Seungnie never seemed to suffer the slightest bit while being his wife. Everything is good and beautiful in their household so it is impossible for him to do something stupid by killing herself and drinking the poison, moreover, she has Soo Ra, the beloved daughter she loves so much, it is impossible for the thought of ending her life to be a solution to whatever problems she may face.

Then the only thing that could have happened was that his wife had been killed using that poison. But who?

Who did it, what was the purpose, why did it have to be Seungnie? His wife has absolutely nothing to do with his business, why would anyone want to harm her? The boy was thinking hard trying to remember all the suspicious things around him.

"Kwon Jiyong'ssi."

Surprised. The man stopped his pacing tracks and he felt a hand gripping his shoulder that brought him completely back to reality and found that his thumb was bleeding. The pain from the bleeding wound was nothing, but knowing that Lee Seunghyun witnessed what was happening upset him.

Kwon Jiyong cursed as he roughly pulled his shoulder from Lee Seunghyun's touch, he quickly turned around his desk, and from one of the drawers he took out a set of first aid kits. The blood that flowed from the fold of the nail that was torn off on his thumb was wiped carelessly and then he bandaged it with plaster.

Lee Seunghyun stared at all of these silently but attentively. His face was calm going but when Kwon Jiyong gazes to the man before him and expecting questions that might come out of his mouth, he did not get it.

“So…” The man cleared his throat to break the silence between them.

“What you suspect is true. I might start asking for help from one of the detectives I trust to investigate this case, ”Kwon Jiyong said again, while from Lee Seunghyun he only got a single reaction when he saw when that handsome man straighten his body.

“I want to volunteer to investigate this case, Kwon Jiyong'ssi. I worked as a detective for 9 years and Seungnie is my sister, please allow me to handle this case, ”Lee Seunghyun responded firmly.

They still looked at each other and Kwon Jiyong slowly nodded his head.

"OK. But I will still ask one detective to help you." As if he didn't need Lee Seunghyun's approval answer, Kwon Jiyong took his cellphone from his pocket and pressed the contact button to call the person he meant.

"You'd better be more careful when involving other people with confidential information like this, Kwon Jiyong'ssi," Lee Seunghyun tried to give the Kwon Jiyong his input before the phone line connected.

“I quite trust this detective Lee Seunghyun'ssi. You can't work alone because you don't know anyone here. Ah… Detective Kang? Yes, it's me. Can you spare your time to see me this afternoon? All right, in my office. I will be waiting for you."

Lee Seunghyun felt it was useless to prevent Kwon Jiyong from doing what he planned even if it went against his thinking. They still don't know anything about why Seungnie was killed and who did it. There are so many possibilities that could happen and that mastermind this murder. How could that man simply entrust this information to someone else?

“He's detective Kang Daesung, one of the few people I trust. We were in the same force when we were serving in the military and have been good friends ever since. Kwon Jiyong suddenly said as if he could see the doubt radiating from the face of the man who was standing in front of him.

“I just think that the information regarding the autopsy results is still very confidential. And it is better if all the steps that we will take must be kept secret, considering that at this time we do not yet know the motive for the murder and who the perpetrator that has evil intentions against Seungnie."

"I know. Therefore I want you to work in silence. I want you to work near me, ”this man's words surprised Lee Seunghyun. What does Kwon Jiyong really mean? Allow him to investigate the case but have to be close by? This man seemed to still suspect him so he wanted to watch him closely.

"I do not understand. If I was allowed to investigate Seungnie's death, how could I possibly do that if I had to be around you? While you are telling other people to handle this case, do you really not believe me, Kwon Jiyong'ssi? " Lee Seunghyun sounded angry when he said that.

Kwon Jiyong shook his head quickly and then his eyes met Lee Seunghyun's sharp gaze as if he could make a hole in the steel.

"You misunderstood. Precisely because I don't believe anyone wants to harm Seungnie, I put you in the clearest place to observe whoever wants to harm me.”

Lee Seunghyun's mouth opened, the eyes that were full of anger before slowly faded with new understanding.

The handsome man in front of him sighed while lowering his head. Regret and sadness showed on Kwon Jiyong's face as he said,

“I don't think the poison was aimed at Seungnie, Lee Seunghyun'ssi. Because it makes no sense that someone would want to harm my wife… Maybe I should be the one who was the target of the poison, I should have died and not Seungnie… ”

And silence returned to them both.

 

************

 

Detective Kang Daesung is a tall and well-built person, with broad shoulders like a police officer, but his smile reflects sincerity which makes Lee Seunghyun less doubtful of him.

Detective Kang's attitude towards Kwon Jiyong looks very familiar, even though the degrees of their lives are clearly far different. Detective Kang clearly lives a simple life, just like Seunghyun himself while carrying out his life as a detective also experienced difficult times where his salary was used to pay for his living needs and his parents who needed treatment until they both died.

Kwon Jiyong introduced Lee Seunghyun as his personal assistant and bodyguard to the detective, which surprised Lee Seunghyun again because the man did not tell Detective Kang the truth either. The person he said was one of a few people he trusted, about his real purpose for being here. It seems like a person like Kwon Jiyong is a typical guy who doesn't trust anyone.

All the talks about the results of the autopsy done secretly by Kwon Jiyong were told to Kang Daesung by the businessman himself. Detective Kang listened to this seriously and the empathetic look in his eyes was aimed at Kwon Jiyong. Seunghyun observes all of this in silence, until Detective Kang grants Kwon Jiyong's request to investigate this case in secret, the man agrees.

"I want what you get from this investigation can also be conveyed to Lee Seunghyun'ssi," Kwon Jiyong said as they were about to end the conversation.

Detective Kang Daesung raised his eyebrows and turned his gaze to the man who had been standing upright and didn't say a word.

"OK. I will do it." The detective finally answered without asking, as if he already knew Kwon Jiyong's warning about not trusting anyone.

When the man left Kwon Jiyong's office, Lee Seunghyun said,

"So, I'm now a personal assistant and bodyguard?"

Kwon Jiyong met Lee Seunghyun's gaze with a smile etched on his lips,

"Do you mind? I just get the idea and that's not a bad thing to do, is it? By becoming a personal assistant and bodyguard, you will be closer to me and more easily observe the people around me," the man replied casually.

Lee Seunghyun seemed to hold himself back from showing the emotions he felt,

"Although your opinion may not be wrong, I have other opinions about people who are suspicious," he said in a restrained tone. Kwon Jiyong raised his eyebrows, he looked curious and curious.

"And who has had the honor to accept your suspicions, in this short time Lee Seunghyun'ssi?" he asked in a slightly dismissive manner.

Lee Seunghyun took a breath and straightened his chest, staring at Kwo Jiyong's eyes, who was still looking at him with disdain.

"Regardless of your opinion about the enemy who wants to harm you, Kwon Jiyong'ssi, a murder case using poison such as cyanide is usually carried out by the perpetrator who has the closest access to the victim." Lee Seunghyun tried to explain but Kwon Jiyong showed an impatient look.

“Just tell me what you mean, Lee Seunghyun'ssi. You don't need to restrain talking straightforward in front of me. "

Lee Seunghyun was silent for a few seconds before then said which made Jiyong's facial expression change when he heard the answer that came out of Lee Seunghyun's mouth because the man in a calm but very cold voice said,

“Who is the closest person to you who doesn't like Seungnie, Kwon Jiyong'ssi? What I mean, can't your parents be the prime suspects? ”

 

***********

 

Jiyong circled the word family with a pen at the top of the list of dozens of names that were already written on the paper. Earlier, after talking with detectives Kang and Lee Seunghyun, his first suspicions were with his parents, causing his mouth shut.

Your parents.

It was very clear that the man's words were lightened. It's rude and insolent, but Jiyong can't tell him that because all of a sudden he has to admit that his parents never liked Seungnie. Their marriage never got the blessing and approval because he chose women from 'ordinary' families who were not on their equal footing.

Whatever efforts his wife had made during her lifetime so that she was accepted and recognized as a daughter-in-law in front of his parents, it never succeeds. Sometimes even when he was there his parents treated Seungnie in a way that could make him angry.

All this time he was by Seungnie's side and defended her when confronted by his parents as the only thing he could do for his wife. Jiyong might not go against his own parents of course, but if he with choices then he would choose his wife and their child.

But Seungnie is really a woman with an extraordinary personality because she was patient and never extended all the bad treatment she received from Jiyong's parents. She always said that the most important thing was their little family life. And if for that she had to try all of her life to soften Jiyong’s parent's heart, Seungnie was willing to do that.

But is it possible? If because of his parents' dislike, they could go this far to get rid of Seungnie? Although not once or twice his mother scolded Seungnie and expected Jiyong to take another wife who was more worthy of him, which would make their family proud to show off their daughter-in-law.

Like it or not, Jiyong really had to include his parents as suspicious people.

Lee Seunghyun suggested that they start making a list of anyone they should be suspicious of starting from everyone in Jiyong's house, including Mr. Ma, the head butler of his mansion, which was ridiculous because the housekeeper loved Seungnie so much.

There is also Aunt Seok, the kitchen head who is the number 2 suspect on the list they both made earlier. Even though Aunt Seok has worked and lived at Jiyong's house for 5 years and Jiyong trusts her enough, but the most likely cyanide poison to enter Seungnie's body is through food or drink, that's why Aunt Seok will be the number 2 suspect on Lee Seunghyun's list.

One by one, Kwon Jiyong revealed the people who lived in his mansion were. There are 7 people he employs there, Mr. Ma's, Aunt Seok, Soo Ra's nanny Ms.Han Min, Kang Jun who’s the job as a private driver and Seungnie’s bodyguard, Jin's uncle and his son Han Sol who the gardeners, the last is Miss Fei Fei, Soo Ra's private teacher who teaches his daughter plays the piano and the lessons for pre-schooler for her age. Besides that, there is still two assistant to Mr. Ma who does not stay overnight, they come every day to do their work and come home in the afternoon.

All those people are on the first list of people to be suspected which makes Jiyong rethink their motives if it is true that one of them is the culprit who poisoned his wife. Jiyong growl and massaged his temples. He really couldn't trust anyone in this world.

It was getting late and he was alone in his office. He grabbed the half-finished brandy bottle off the table and took a direct sip. His tired thoughts and feelings that were still stirred up because of the bad reality that repeatedly attacked him made him falter, he even unconsciously started again his habit of peeling off his nail folds without realizing it.

Kwon Jiyong stared at his pasted thumb and looked at the bandage covered in blood, he had to replace it. But instead of re-opening the first aid kit, the man's eyes turned back to the list on the table alongside the autopsy results of Seungnie's body. This afternoon he received confirmation that his wife's body had been rearranged and ready to be put back into the grave, now he is just waiting for the notification that everything has been resolved neatly.

The man drained the golden yellow liquid from the brandy bottle. It's 8 o'clock in the evening, where is that bastard Lee Seunghyun? Why hasn't he returned to his office yet? After suddenly appointed that person as a bodyguard and personal assistant, Kwon Jiyong asked him to stay at the mansion to make it easier for Lee Seunghyun to observe and investigate whoever he suspected was there.

Just as Jiyong was about to take another sip of the brandy in his hand, the door to his study was knocked and seconds later appeared the face of the man he was waiting for. Lee Seunghyun. Looks so different without the suit he always wears. Tonight he is wearing jeans and a polo shirt that accentuates his firm chest muscle yet slim look. The man's face looked fresh, his damp hair neatly combed. He looked more like a model than a detective. As Jiyong got closer, he could see more clearly his good looks and especially Seungnie's face that stuck there.

Dammit. How could he suddenly compare that man's face to her Seungie? Jiyong grunted loudly and got up from his seat, but it seemed that there was something wrong with his legs because suddenly he could not bear to hold his own body, causing him to fall back in his work chair.

Lee Seunghyun walked faster towards him,

"Kwon Jiyong'ssi? Are you okay?"

Jiyong who felt his head was heavy looked difficult to lift his face and stare at the man.

"Damn, why are you taking so long to come?" It was the first words that made Lee Seunghyun's face flabbergasted.

"I’m sorry. Since the plan to stay in the mansion of a sudden, I have to pack up and finish my business at the hotel first,” the man answered while watching the brandy bottle that had run out on the table.

"Looks like you drank too much, Kwon Jiyong'ssi," Lee Seunghyun walked closer to Jiyong who could smell the fresh scent of soap from the man's body. He calmly stood beside Jiyong, who now leaned back in his chair, watching the man's behavior, clearing up the brandy bottle which was still open and put away the glass he had been wearing.

When the man's hand was about to touch the file on the table, Kwon Jiyong held it.

"What are you doing?" He asked, looking up, their distance was very close and Jiyong could even clearly see the man's lips which looked moist and wet, looked so soft like Seungnie's, they were so tempting to kiss.

“I helped clean up these files. You'd better get back home and get some rest. "

Now Jiyong smells his breath, making his mind dull because alcohol is easily controlled by his instincts. Suddenly he grabbed the t-shirt Seunghyun was wearing and pulled it so that the boy had to duck and their faces were almost parallel. Jiyong's eyes dimmed a longing shone from his eyes, while a surprised Seunghyun tried to pull himself away but Jiyong's hands were tightly holding him.

"Wae..." He sighed hoarsely. Seunghyun tried to return to release the grip of the hands of the man who was very drunk.

“Kwon Jiyong'ssi. You are already drunk. Let go of your hand,”Seunghyun yanked off the man's hand but Jiyong again grabbed another part of his clothes and gripped it tightly.

"Not! I won't let you go! Who are you ordering me what to do, huh! How dare you, ssibal.” Seunghyun's body jerked backward because suddenly Kwon Jiyong pushed his body while he then stood up staggering.

Lee Seunghyun sighed furiously at this man's behavior. It turns out that this man is naturally a jerk, not only when he was in conscious but also when he was drunk, and his behavior and words when alcohol taking over his brain were even worse. But there was no point fighting this person who was already affected by alcohol if he took it now.

So Seunghyun finally just kept quiet, letting this man act as he pleases, he could destroy all the furniture here as he had done this afternoon when his mind was sane, after all, he owns all those the items he wants to destroy.

He looked at the man who was still cursing him with other dirty words while his hands were still gripping his shirt, making it loose out from his jeans. The more he looked closely at the face of Seungnie's husband, Seunghyun could see the deep pain and sadness from there.

Even though Jiyong's mouth cursed at him for no reason, the man seemed to want to vent all the pain and anger he must have felt all day. How come? He ordered people to dismantle not only his wife's grave but also her body. He also found the fact that the death of his wife was not a normal death and made him have to make a list of everyone who is suspicious, including his own parents.

The impact was enough to make a tough man who Kwon Jiyong tried to show him all day shook and could only be seen in real life when his pride was defeated by the liquid called alcohol.

"Kwon Jiyong'ssi ... Kwon Jiyong'ssi!" Seunghyun grabbed the shoulder of the man who seemed like he was running out of words and only rested the tip of his head on his shoulder. A push on his shoulders kept Kwon Jiyong away from Seunghyun and they stared at each other.

Seunghyun was surprised to see that Kwon Jiyong was shedding tears while staring at him.

"Wae... Tell me why they killed Seungnie?" he sobbed hoarsely. Seunghyun swallowed the saliva that was stuck in his throat.

"I don't know, that's what we are looking for the answer right now," the man replied.

“She's so cute… So tender and kind…” Jiyong's hand suddenly stretched out and rubbed Seunghyun's face, who suddenly stiffened because he didn't expect to receive such treatment. Not quite caressing his face, the man's thumb which was wrapped in plaster touched his lips, and spontaneously Seunghyun looked away.

“Kwon Jiyong'ssi, jebal. You are drunk, we better go back to your house now," the man said in a choked tone while his heart was beating fast.

"Wae... Seung... hyun...ssi..."

Lee Seunghyun could smell the strong smell of alcohol from Kwon Jiyong's mouth which brought his face closer to him.

"Yes, Kwon Jiyong'ssi?"

“Why is your face should be this similar to Seungnie’s? You… broke my heart just by looking at your face…” again, a pathetic sob sounded from the man's lips.

Seunghyun can’t say a word, because he doesn’t know what to say. The fact that they are really identical twins even though he was born as a boy whereas Seungie was born a girl, but their faces are really similar. Even because of this, their mother used to fail to acknowledge them when they were a child.

"Joesonghaeyo... I’m sorry" that was the only thing that could come out, suddenly feeling sorry for this man. If he were in Kwon Jiyong's position, he would probably feel the same way. Seunghyun felt Kwon Jiyong's grip tighten on his clothes, which must have looked wrinkled by now.

"I really miss her," Kwon Jiyong still sobbed. His face got closer so Seunghyun could see the tears stuck to the lashes of the boy.

So close, too close.

And then the man grabbed Seunghyun's lips with his.

 

======================================================================== tbc