Take care of my heart

Of Penguin, Food, and A Certain Blonde

The midterm ends rather fast for the students as most tried their best to cram everything they learned overnight, and that includes Momo. She doesn’t really care about the result, as long as she passes the papers because there are still assignments and end term examination to fill her grades by the end of the semester. Let bygones be bygones, they say. If she’s going to regret one thing, it would be the instant food and ramen she had to gobble down during those five days of battle.

It’s the weekend and Momo wants nothing more than to spend a few hours in the cooking lab to finish her class assignment before working in the restaurant to make up for the times she missed. Instead, here she is in the dorm, sitting cross-legged on the floor, labeling and taping stack of boxes for her roommate who was supposed to be gone before the new semester even start. It is almost the middle of the term but this supposedly graduating senior is still mooching off of her with reason that the management shouldn’t waste a vacant room.

“I’m only utilizing what is given to me as a former student to the fullest. Besides, I haven’t checked out yet so it’s still considered as my room.”

“Unofficially and illegally.” Momo argued before tearing the tape with her teeth, “I thought the system would automatically replace your name with a new student or something once you’ve finished the term?”

“That,” An eyebrow raised. “Is none of your business.”

Of course, Momo should have expected it. No one can resist the Im Nayeon who was the valedictorian of her class, also the apple of everyone’s eyes, lecturers and fellow students alike. Let’s just say, the whole campus knows and loves Nayeon very dearly that she can have her way with anything and get away with both hands clean. For Momo to be her roommate since freshman year is considered to be the luckiest of them all, but it isn’t as fabulous as what people claimed to be. Life as Nayeon’s roommate, was a triangle of complicated and appealing combine in a small cube of disordered mess.

In other word; life’s a roller coaster.

And Momo is never fond of roller coaster. Living as a foreign student is hard enough for her, imagine how hard it is to have a living roller coaster in the form of a human within close proximity. After suffering for almost two and a half years, Momo is glad the girl is finally graduating and going for an internship program in another town. That is why instead of walking to the campus to finish her assignments, Momo prefers to help the older pack her things because the faster they wrap everything, the faster she leaves. For good.

“You’re badmouthing me.” Nayeon’s eyes narrow accusingly at her engrossed roommate who purposely pulls the tape with so much force, it made a loud noise. “Did you hear my mouth say anything?”

The older rolls her eyes. “Mentally, you are.”

Momo scoffs, “You’re a marketing analyst, not a mind reader.”

“Speaking of that,” The girl groans, “I can’t believe Jeongyeon stood me up in the last minute. She promised we would take all of these to our new apartment today, but of course she has to be the good daughter to her father and help out at the cafe.”

Momo still wonders how the heck she just managed to divert to another topic within seconds, but since she’s already used to it in the span of them living together, she just followed along.

“What’s wrong with that? Weren’t you the one gushing about how great she is for having a family-oriented mind? You should be grateful you managed to score the dream partner you’ve always wished for.”

“Of course I am!” The older frowns, “But you know how Jeongyeon is. Sometimes, it feels like she isn’t attentive enough to my need as her girlfriend. I feel neglected, you know? She always ignores me when I declare my love shamelessly. Can’t you see how stressing this is?”

Here we go again, she silently sighs. The blonde stands up to get a red marker from her table, her mind remembering the tall figure of Nayeon’s girlfriend she had met when the latter was dragged along to stay a night or two whenever they were in town. Something about Nayeon being a worrywart of Momo’s wellbeing, Jeongyeon had mentioned before. Surprisingly, Momo had clicked fairly well with the no jam girl, exchanging a lot of embarrassing stories and jokes mainly with Nayeon as the main character.

She was curious about their meeting because believe it or not, it didn’t start well for both of them. They were at odds, competing for the same internship position in the company. But somehow Jeongyeon had backed down for reason unknown just after they emailed her as the final candidate for the internship position. Instead, she reached out to Nayeon (she spilled coffee on Nayeon’s skirt after the interview, in exchange of the latter’s number so she can buy a new one to replace the ugly pair she wore) to go to the company in her place, effectively giving her the job. After that, they begin contacting each other and voila… the rest is history.

“Tell me how long have you been in this relationship?”

Nayeon counts in her head while transferring a box near the door. “Almost 3 months?”

“Wait, hold on... You two met at the interview like, what, 5 months ago?” Momo lifts in eyebrow, receiving a nonchalant shrug from the older. “It’s love at first sight.”

“Weren’t you fighting all the time?”

“Love can manifest in many other ways, Momo. Not just sappy, romantic cliché scene of oh I fall on you so you can catch me and be drown in my glittering eyes, whatever that is.” Nayeon grimaced, “Sometimes it appears in a love-hate relationship, a frenemies turn lovers, or just strangers fighting for an internship job in the same company.”

The blonde’s hand paused from writing the last letter on the masking tape, her head registering Nayeon’s once-in-a-blue-moon useful fact. She observes the smile still adorning the latter’s face, the same toothy grin she always gives to everyone. But in Momo’s eyes, it has a deeper meaning behind it; the same glint she has whenever Jeongyeon is around.

“I think there’s nothing to worry about.” Momo straightens her back after labeling the last box, noticing a figure standing by the door. “From what I see, she loves you as much as you do. She just… rather shows it with action rather than words, I guess?”

“Yeah, right. You said that just to make me feel good.”

“I’m not. You should really turn around and see with your own eyes.”

Nayeon shakes her head before twisting her body after pulling the last poster on the wall, her eyes widen at the sight of a tall figure by the door. She squeals like a dolphin before pummeling the poor Jeongyeon with her whole weight.

“Miss me much?”

“What do you think?” She slaps her partner’s arm with a pout, “You miss all the hard work and I have to force Momo to help me when she has other things to do. I should have dated her instead of you!”

“Would you?” The taller asks back in a challenging tone, prompting Nayeon to roll her eyes in defeat. “I hate you.” She mumbles cutely.

“Glad to know that.” Jeongyeon wears a lopsided grin before pinching her lover’s cheek. She greets the roommate quietly standing at the corner. “I hope she’s not giving you a hard time, Mo. Given that she’s…” She motions to the clingy Nayeon with her eyes, receiving a sharp jab on the stomach from the pouting bunny.

“It’s fine, It’s the least I can do before she leaves.”

“You’re so eager for me to disappear, huh?”

Momo avoids Nayeon’s dagger eyes, offering to send the boxes to Jeongyeon’s car which the latter agreed in a snap before dragging her away to save them from the wrath of HimNayeon. Sana was walking to Momo’s room when she found Nayeon hunching down on the table, scribbling what looks like a note on the blonde’s table. She knocks on the door to get the older’s attention.

“Oh, Sana! Looking for Momo?”

“Yeah, where is she?” Sana walks in, scanning the once disorganized side of her best friend’s room to be empty. “Ah, she’s helping with the boxes. She’ll be up anytime soon.”

“So, you’re leaving?”

“Yep, for good.” She closes the lid of the pen before turning around to face the frequent visitor of her room during her glorious days as a student. “I’ve been getting warning emails from the management every week. It’s about time I give them a rest and let my name cease from the spotlight, right?”

The shiba shrugs, “You’re Im Nayeon. You’ll always be the talk of town even when you’re an old hag.”

“Yah! Are you insinuating that I’m old?”

“Aren’t you?” Sana smiles teasingly, only to whip her head at the sight of blonde hair walking inside the room. “You seem to be in a good mood.”

Momo only responded by lifting her shoulder along with a wide grin, her eyes taking in the empty wall of Nayeon’s side. “I finally got a room to myself.”

“Aish, you two… I’m leaving today and this is the treatment I get for my last day here?”

“I doubt it. I can already imagine you popping out in the middle of the night to freeload on Momo’s food stock.”

“Just as she said.” Momo deadpans with a hand raised, getting a high five from her giggling bestfriend. Nayeon merely pouts before she gives them a hug and bidding goodbye, not before telling Momo that her payment is on the table. Raising an eyebrow, she approaches the table and picks up the yellow post-it paper scribbled with an address and a name of a restaurant belonging to Jeongyeon’s family. Below is a small PS: bring your plus one too and three hearts.

“Oh, free food? Bring me as your date!”

“In your dreams.” Momo flicks her forehead, earning a yelp and a deep pout from the squirrel. “You want Tzuyu to kill me in my sleep?”

“My Chewy is a baby, she wouldn’t even hurt a fly.” Sana proudly states with a smug smile. “By the way, we’re officially dating now.”

“Hmm.” The blonde nods absentmindedly, only to let out a deep and loud “EHHH?”

The grinning Sana suddenly turns mushy as she ducks her head low, palms covering her heated cheeks and the elated grin reaching her ears while trying to stop the squeal bubbling in from the overwhelming joy.

“No. Way.” Momo gasps loudly, still not believing that the reserved girl is finally accepting Sana’s advances. “When did this happen?”

“Well…” Sana sways her upper body left and right, trying to shake the flutters in her chest. “She kissed me yesterday.”

 

Sana had just finished her class and was about to leave for the next period when suddenly a group of guys circled her by the door. She recognized them, the football jocks lead by Jaebum who has persistently been asking her out since the semester start. The many times he tried his luck with her, were also the many times he was flatly rejected by the girl. Initially she played along, thinking it will be just a one time thing. Now, she’s starting to regret ever having contact with him because this guy is a blockhead with a sponge replacing his brain in that strong skull of his.

“Hey, Sana. For you.” Jaebum presents a single rose to her, his friends making annoying whistling sound. “You haven’t replied my message for the whole week. I miss you, you know?”

Sana merely stared at the flower, before closing her eyes with a sigh. “I’m really sorry, Jaebum. But I’m not interested.”

“Why?” His broad shoulders sagged, the flower too wilting at her respond. “Do you have someone you like?”

“Jaebum, I –“

“As a matter of fact, she does.”

Out of nowhere, a tall figure appeared on Sana’s peripheral view. She grabbed the latter’s hand and turned her body towards her, their body squished together. Sana’s eyes widen at the close proximity, loudly gulping at the strong stare she received from the tall junior.

“Sana-unnie?”

“Y-Yes?”

Tzuyu’s eyes fall on her lips, her voice as gentle as ever that it flicked Sana’s heart into beating a frenzy rhythm. “Please, be mine?”

“E-Eh…?”

Tzuyu touched her cheek, her face slowly getting nearer prompting Sana to flutter her eyes close, a hand clutching the younger’s shirt on her chest as an arm pulled her body closer. Her whole body melts when their lips met, the soft contact making her heart soar up to the sky before bursting in all sorts of colors. The hand clasping Tzuyu’s shirt loosen, the abnormal loud thudding of the younger’s heart can be felt through the fabric. She smiled into the kiss, knowing the aloof girl is feeling the same too, their hearts pounding a similar pattern. They parted when Jaebum cleared his throat, only to plain ignore him as they got lost in each other’s eyes.

“Thank you for waiting patiently for me, Sana-unnie.”

“Tzuyu…”

 

“Wow.” Momo attempts a whistle, which failed horribly. “She really did that?”

“Yeah, even I’m surprised my Chewy is able to do that.” Sana fondly sighs, only to let out the squeal she’s been holding in out of pure bliss.

“Yah! Why are you being like this?” Momo closed her ears from the screeching squeal, “You’re acting like that was your first kiss.”

“It is my first kiss.” Sana mumbled shyly, her ears becoming red too.

“What? But… your flings?”

She rolled her eyes, “They’re just flings. Who would kiss someone on a first date, anyway?”

Momo let the new information sinks in, clearly surprised with what she just find out from the usually flirty and touchy childhood friend of hers.

“Can I ask you something?”

“It’s not about the kiss, right? Cause I’m definitely not telling you, ert.” The squirrel received a smack on her head. “No! I just… how do you know you love Tzuyu and not those people you’ve dated before?”

Sana looks up to think of an answer. “Now that you asked about it, I’m not really sure either. I mean, the dates are fun and it’s nice to meet someone new and all. But with Tzuyu, there’s nothing as such.”

“Huh? Then how…?”

Sana giggles from the dumbfounded face of the blonde. “Tzuyu doesn’t treat me like how others did, she’s different. I am a social butterfly, and people are attracted to me naturally. However, Tzuyu made me chase for her instead. She made me crave for her attention, and the more I spend time with her, the more exciting it becomes because I get to unravel a part of her that not everyone has the privilege to know. She’s a special one, the only one who managed to capture my heart.”

There it is again. That one smile she always sees on Nayeon’s face, now painted on her bestfriend’s feature. All because of their significant others who managed to give them the different glint of someone being in love and being loved.

“But that’s just me. Everyone’s experience with love is different,” Sana smirks knowingly while wiggling her eyebrows. “Just like you and the penguin.”

The blonde avoids Sana’s attack of prodding her waist, “If you’re here just to tease me about Mina, the door is your destination.”

“Oh, that reminds me. I was actually here to fetch you since Mina –”

Momo jumps to her feet, “What happened to her?”

“Oh, geez… relax! We can’t reach you since you were so busy tending to Nayeon-unnie’s last wish.” She rolled her eyes as Momo rushes to reach for her phone charging under the table. “She ordered take-aways for lunch later, to repay you for taking care of her when she was sick.”

“She didn’t have to.” Momo murmured to herself while checking the missed calls and chat from the vice president.

“Too late. She’s already waiting in our room so get your moving now!”

As she follows Sana back to her room in the opposite building, her mind drifts to the many things currently occupying her head, mostly of a certain penguin. She knows she has a little crush on Mina… well, scratch that. She definitely feels something HUGE for Mina, and there’s probably a few out there who feels the same way as her.

She heard the juniors in her dance club talking about the president, that Johnny Johnny yes papa guy having a crush on Mina. Perhaps that was the reason why he’s been giving her the stinky eye whenever they came across each other in the hallway or being plain rude when she’s in the meeting room with Mina.

Well, one thing’s for sure is he’s never going to be on Mina’s good side.

But then… what about Mina, though?

“Do you like anyone?” Momo blurts out the question as she turns to the girl taking a sip of water, the content almost spurts out if not for her quick reflex to clamp shut. Sana muffles her laugh with a hand, the other handing Mina a tissue.

“Why?” Mina asked dubiously while patting the droplets of water on her lap, only for Sana to interrupt with a low “Isn’t it obvious?” while looking at her phone, the playful grin still plastered on her face.

She turns to Momo, finding the girl frozen with apparent blush on her face. Ducking her head low, she shoves a mouthful of fried rice. “I do.”

“Oh.” She can see Momo’s crestfallen face from the corner of her eyes. “That guy must be a cool person, huh?”

“Not really.” A smile grazes Mina’s lips. “That person is annoying and likes to tease me. Sometimes silly, but has a really kind heart, really selfless and compassionate about others with intense passion for their dream.”

The blonde bobs her head slowly, trying to shake off the uneasy feeling growing in her chest. She musters a smile, “I can tell that he’s a really great guy. He must have been doing a lot of great things for you to like him that much.”

“Well, those qualities weren’t really the main reason why I like that person.” Mina plays around with the rice in her bowl. “It’s… for a weird reason.”

“Tell me.”

Mina contemplates as she tries to arrange the words. “Have you heard of the saying that ‘the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach’?”

Momo laughs from the popular catchphrase she grows up with. “My grandmother is a fan of that, it’s one of the reasons why she forced me to take cooking in the first place. But in my honest opinion, I don’t think it will work that way. I mean, I’ve been cooking in the restaurant for months but no one has come up and say upfront they love me or something like that.” Momo laughs at the absurdity of it with a shake of her head, “Let’s be real here. You’ve been eating the food I made, but you don’t even feel anything for me, right?”

“What if –” Mina gulps, her fingers gripping the spoon a tad too tight. “What if I do?” Mina looks up, and the smile playing on Momo’s face slowly fallen at the sight, her heart thumping a beat she doesn’t know its capable of.

“Uh, you mean…” Momo points to herself before pointing to the blushing penguin who gives her an expectant look.

“Oh.”

Sana, who’s been silently listening to these two oblivious friends in frustration, shakes her head exasperatedly with a deep sigh. “I can’t believe I’m friends with these two dumdums.”

 

*

 

“I expect better from you, Miss Hirai. Not,” He shakes his head disapprovingly while tapping the paper on the table. “This.”

Momo keeps mum, ducking her head low to avoid the disappointed stare of the head of her department. She keeps her gaze on the paper, taking in the numbers for the result of her midterm papers. They barely made it as passable, except for one subject which expectedly, she excels the most. A small smile plays on her lips.

“If you think I’ll let you go because of that one paper you aced, you’re definitely wrong.” The smile immediately replaced with a frown, “It’s great that you have exceptional skills in cooking, but I need to remind you again that this is not a culinary school, Miss Hirai. You’re here for something better, greater even, and that’s what we’re expecting from our student.”

She gives a slight nod, like how someone getting reprimanded should do.

“I commend you participation as a volunteer in all sorts of activities but be aware that you are a graduating student this year.  Please start acting like one, Miss Hirai, unless you’re planning for an extended stay here, which I’m heavily against of.”

Momo heaves a deep breath after closing the door of the dean’s office, her shoulders sagging from the unwanted half an hour lecture. It’s her fault, she admits, for not putting as much effort in her studies. She is in the final year, damn it, it’s about time she start thinking of the future which is kind of bleak for her at the moment. She loves cooking, but that’s it. Learning about nutritional value, health awareness, diseases and sorts just give her one heck of a headache because at the end of it, she only thinks of opening a restaurant and working as a chef.

Maybe she did get into the wrong course, courtesy of her late grandmother’s wish.

“Do you like cooking, Momo?”

“Of course! I love eating as much as cooking, obaa-chan.”

“Good, because I don’t want you to take culinary after you graduated from high school.”

“Eh?”

“Apply for a nutrition course instead.”

“But, why?”

“Because the TV said so. Make sure you listen to me, okay Momo?”

 Momo sighs deeply at the memory, fully regretting her decision for blindly following the old woman’s advice. Just as she steps out of the staffs’ room, her bleak mood takes a sudden turn at the sight of a girl having difficulty with stacks of papers by the waiting chair outside.

“Penguin!”

“Momo? Oh, you don’t have to –” She quickly snatches a pile from the thick heap Mina’s holding. “But I want to.”

“Thank you.” The voice is small, but the blonde heard it nonetheless. Her hearing is already tuned to Mina’s gentle and soft voice from the countless time they spend together. “Were you in trouble? Is that why you’re here?”

“Eh? What makes you think that?”

“Because your appearance alone screams trouble.”

“Yah! I have an innocent, baby-like face, mind you.”

“A perfect face for a criminal.”

“Criminal – hey! I’m not a criminal!”

Mina apologizes in the midst of her laughing, causing the blonde to make a deep pout for being teased. The vice president continues interrogating Momo for her unanswered question.

“Starting to get interested in my life affairs, huh?”

Mina rolls her eyes, “Fine, don’t talk to me.”

She quickly catches up to the annoyed vice president quickening her pace. “It’s nothing really. Professor Kim wants to know the secret to my extraordinary cooking.” Momo makes a cool pose with her trademark smirk, earning a giggling fit from the penguin. Only for her to blush from Mina’s comment. “Because you got natural talent, that’s the secret.”

She silently clears , “So, what about you? Your face don’t sport that troublemaker air like I do.”

“I’m always here. That’s one of the advantages of being a vice president.” The blonde clicks her tongue, “Show off.”

Mina simply smiles, but it doesn’t reaches her eyes, Momo noticed. “I received a recommendation letter for an internship program.”

“Eh? Hey, that’s great news!”

“It’s nothing really.”

“What do you mean? It’s absolutely a thing to be proud of! You deserve it with all the hard work you’ve been doing, Mina.”

“Thank you. But really, it’s nothing to make a fuss of.”

“Ey, this calls for a celebration. We should do a small party for you! You at least deserve that, Miss Vice President.”

“But I don’t like the attention.”

Momo smiles warmly at the hesitant response from the timid girl. It makes her want to pamper Mina a lot, considering how selfless she is with everyone. The girl likes to work in the background, not getting enough recognition for her effort and sacrifices. Momo doesn’t know about others, but she definitely wants to show Mina the appreciation she deserves.

“If that is so,” She makes a pondering face, “Then tell me what you like.”

Mina frowns at the question. “Momo, you don’t have to give me anything.”

“I didn’t say about anything, just asking what you like.”

She narrows her eyes, “I know that look.”

“Fine, no need to tell me.” She mirrored Mina’s gesture from earlier to appease the girl, but it’s not getting the reaction she expected from the latter.

Momo watches as the quiet girl plays with her left ear, her fingers rubbing on the lobe. She sees the black earring Mina always wear, wondering if she only has this pair or it means something to her. She must have treasured it a lot.

“I like your food.”

“Huh?” The blonde blinks a few times, her head still floating around the black earring. “Wait, can you say that again?”

“Nope.”

“Ehhh? But I didn’t catch it!”

“Nuh uh.”

“Noo, penguinnnn!!! My cute peng – ACK!”

Out of nowhere, something soft smashed her body. She turns her head to the clinging thing, only to be met with a giant yoda cowering on her back.

“Tzuyu?”

“Save me, unnie!” The girl pleads with desperation as she looks back to the corner she emerged from.

“Uh, save you from what?”

“The kissing monster!”

“The kissing – what?!”

Just in cue, the kissing monster appeared from the corner of the hallway. “CHOU TZUYUUU!!!”

“Eeep! If Sana-unnie asks, tell her I went the other way!”

Before they can respond to the poor girl, Tzuyu has already hid herself in between the tall fake plants by the notice board while an angry Shiba is stomping her way towards them.

“Tell me that wasn’t Tzuyu you just spoke to.”

“Tzuyu? Oh, she was here?”

“Grrr, you’re never good at lying, Momo.”

The vice president steps forward with a hand holding her roommate’s shoulder, “Sana, calm down. What’s up anyway? Why are you looking for Tzuyu like a maniac?”

The scowl on her face disappears into a dejected pout, “Ever since the confession, my Chewy is avoiding all sorts of contact with me like I’m plagued with disease! I just want my cuddle...” Mina raised an eyebrow, “and my kisses too. She never kiss me again after that day!”

Both of them heave a deep breath while shaking their heads. Knowing how persistent Sana is with her ways, no wonder Tzuyu ran away like a scared puppy.

“Maybe you should, I don’t know, tone it down a bit on the skinship thing?”

“What?! That’s my life motto, Mina!”

“But have you considered how Tzuyu felt about this?”

The kissing monster begins to slowly falter at the thought of the younger girl who seems distant at first, but she managed to gradually peels off the layer of her coldness, hiding the adorable but shy Tzuyu she comes to love. She can’t believe how patient she is with the aloof girl, now that she thinks about it.

“Take things slow,” Mina flashes a comforting smile. “Tzuyu is trying her best to warm up to you.”

“You’re right. I should consider her feelings too.” Sana inhales, her lips turning into a straight line. “I guess I’ll try to behave and stop being clingy for a while.”

“No! Y-You don’t have to, unnie!” A wild yoda suddenly jumps out from her hideout, “Not to that extent, I mean.”

“Yah!” Sana yells in shock at the sudden appearance of her lover, clearly unaware of the obvious out-of-place presence of a human standing tall in between the plastic leaves. “What in the name of love are you doing there, Tzuyu?”

“Hiding from you, of course.” Momo snickered, only to shrink from Mina’s glare.

Tzuyu takes her partner’s hands, gently grasping them with assurance. “It’s not that I’m uncomfortable with the skinship, I’m fine with it. It’s just…” She averts her gaze to the floor, “I’m not used with PDA, unnie.”

Sana would have combust and let out a loud squeal from Tzuyu’s adorable tomato face, if not for the serious conversation they’re having. Instead, she hugs the tall girl and buries her face on her shoulder. Mina and Momo watches as the two whispers among themselves, before both ends up in a tight hug with contented grins plastered on their face.

“They’re cute.” Mina comments as she motioned to Momo to leave the two lovebirds alone with a tilt of her head.

“Oh, you want to be cute too?” The blonde raises her eyebrows teasingly, “With me?”

Mina ignores her as she looked left and right, “Did you hear something?” before striding off, leaving Momo without sparing her a glance.

“What? Hold on, yah Mina! Miss Penguin!!!”

 

*

 

Momo had just finished washing the van owned by Shindong as punishment for conquering the kitchen all by herself, the other workers ending up lazing around at the back jobless. Just as she’s about to take a breather, her two favorite juniors arrive with drinks to share and dumb smile on their faces. The face of two excited beggars hoping for free food from their one and only generous unnie.

“Unnie.”

“Yes?”

“You’re close with Sana-unnie, right?”

“Unfortunately.” Momo deadpanned, taking a sip of her soda. “Why?”

“Do you know what she likes?”

“You, obviously.”

“Unnie!” The girl whines, earning a chortle from the blonde.

“There’s really nothing specific. She received a lot of gifts back then, but the ones she keeps were mostly the useful things.” She notices the down casted face of the younger. “I think Sana is not that fussy. What’s important is the thought, right here.” Momo pats her chest.

“That’s the problem.” Tzuyu laments with a serious expression. “I don’t think she deserves even the most expensive gift.”

“Eh?”

“She deserves the world, unnie.”

Momo almost spurt out the soda while Chaeyoung silently laugh at the side, not taking her eyes off the plate of free jajangmyeon.

“So you want to give her the world?” The blonde suggests jokingly.

“You know that’s impossible, unnie.” Tzuyu stated the obvious with an incredulous look directed to the older girl. “I’ll just give her my world.”

Cackles escape Chaeyoung’s lips, not even caring to cover her noodle-filled mouth while Momo chokes on her soda. She receives slaps by the laughing tiny cub, indirectly aiding Momo with her choking.

“You should stop hanging out with Chaeyoung.”

“What? What did I do?”

“You’re corrupting her innocent mind with those cheesy lines in your small doodling book.”

“Yah! That’s my artwork you’re dissing!”

Momo ignores her and turn to the sad looking girl. “What’s up, really? Did you have a fight?”

“Not really. I saw this necklace on display at the mall yesterday and I thought it would look nice with Sana-unnie.”

“Ah…” The blonde puts a finger on her chin, “But you don’t have the money.”

The girl nods, before flashing a small smile. “It’s not like I’m thinking of buying it, unnie. The necklace caught my eyes, that’s all.”

Momo remembers the small packet of cash in the back pocket of her jeans, wanting to deposit it in the bank later for safekeeping. Maybe the savings of her three months pay would enable the giant baby to buy that gift for her Sana-unnie. Momo is in love too, she knows how it feels to be in Tzuyu’s shoes. She takes a deep breath, fingers already slipping inside the pocket.

“Here.” She slams an envelope on the table, gaining a confused look from the Yoda. “What’s this, unnie?”

“My extra allowance. I got enough savings to buy a two-way ticket to Japan, honestly.” Momo nonchalantly said while stuffing with more noodles she stole from Chaeyoung’s plate.

“What? No, unnie – I can’t accept this.”

“Take it.” Momo glances up from her bowl, “Just pay me back in installments starting next month.”

Chaeyoung who’s silently watching the transaction, snorts amusedly. “Are you a loan shark now, unnie?”

“There’s no interest involve in our agreement, mind you.”

Tzuyu hesitantly takes the envelope, holding it close to her chest. “Are you sure, unnie?”

“Tzuyu-yah, you’re gonna drop a spot on my favourite dongsaeng list if you keep asking that question.”

“Wait, there’s a list? Am I included?”

“Of course, I’m not that heartless. You’re the first,” The cub’s face brightens, “From the bottom.” Only for it to fallen.

“That’s cruel!” She whines, loudly munching the remains in . “I’m gonna get to the top of that list one day and make you buy me expensive things, unnie! Mark my word!”

“You can try.” Momo snickers with a shrug, “Tzuyu and I go long way back so good luck.”

“What about Mina-unnie? How long back did you two got together, eh?” Chaeyoung smirks, her plate exchanging place with Tzuyu’s fried rice. The blonde noisily slurps her soda, purposefully ignoring the playful grin of the small cub. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Hah! You can’t fool me, unnie. I know what’s going on with you two.”

“Oh, goodness… we’re just friends! That’s it!”

“Just two friends who seems too chummy and ready to mingle. Right, Tzu?”

The girl exhales with a frown despite the glint of playfulness in her eyes, “It’s annoying how easy it is for you to gravitate towards each other, Momo-unnie. Like, magnets, you know? At first you push one another, but after finding the correct pole, you got stuck like perfectly well, it’s almost hard to separate you two.”

“Did you just explain my love life through a philosophical point of view?”

Tzuyu proudly nods, “I’m a genius, am I?”

Momo coos as she pulls the younger in a hug, the cub rolling her eyes from the older’s attempt to change the topic.

“Stop deflecting the question, unnie. Just admit it.” Chaeyoung points her chopstick to Momo, “You like her, right?”

She plainly shrugs, still on the defense with this prodding little girl. “What if I am?”

“I gotta tell you, unnie. You got a lot of competition when it comes to Mina-unnie because believe it or not, the VP is really popular with the seniors despite her cold front.” Chaeyoung said gravely like it’s the most serious thing she ever said, “You need to move fast before someone else cut in.”

 “You mean someone that rhymes with ‘yes, papa?’”

“Ugh, don’t get me started with that .”

Momo ignores the gossiping maknaes, her mind already thinking about the penguin. She never tells any of her close friends about her plan, but she’s actually already one step ahead of them. Based on the hint Mina had left here and there, it’s possible that she shares the same feeling. The question is, are they ready for it? She thought things are getting too fast for them but what Sana said last night begins to make sense once she put her head into it.

“You only live once, Momo. It’s either you jump now, or die.”

“Won’t you die either way…?”

“At least you won’t regret of jumping to the unknown and experiencing it once, rather than dying without knowing what’s in it for you.”

That night before going to sleep, Momo taps on the Amazon app on her phone, going straight to the cart symbol. Her thumb hovers over the trash icon, staring sadly at the item she’s been eyeing for the past few days. It’s part of her confession-plan-now-gone-to-the-gutter; a star-shaped stud decorated with scarlet colored Swarovski stones. She thinks Mina suits every color available in the universe, but red seems to bring out the best in her.

Perhaps, this is just another wishful thought because she just sacrificed her savings in the name of love, of two lovebirds sailing the sinking SaTzu ship. Maybe she should steal some of Sana’s candy stock for interest charge instead. The cogs in her head start spinning to come up with another plan for her confession, something that doesn’t need to involve a lot of cash and a lot of effort to waste. Something that she does best.

Letting out a loud sigh, Momo press the delete button.

 

*

 

 “Okay, that’s a wrap! You guys did well today but make sure to remember the new steps we go through for the next session, got it?”

A chorus of yes fills the dance studio as the leader dismissed them for the day. Momo raises her hands up in the air for a silent cheer, glad that the practice is finally over before trudging to her bag at the corner.

“What do you think, Momo? Any new candidate for the regional dance competition team?” The leader appears by her side, chugging a bottle of water.

“I’ve been eyeing a few of them, but they are mostly freshmen.” She hangs the small towel on her neck, before grabbing both ends of it.  “Maybe we need to observe a bit more. I’ll tell you my picks on our next meeting.”

“Fine by me.”

Just as they end the conversation, a junior pokes her head inside. “Sunbae, the President is here!”

“Huh? What does he wants?”

“Well, he’s not looking for you, Irene-sunbae.” She tilts her head to the other senior. “She wants to meet Momo-sunbae.”

“Eh, me?”

The leader lets out a deep sigh while shaking her head. “Why are you always in trouble, Momo?”

The blonde makes a face before jabbing the snickering Irene on her waist. Grabbing her things while wearing her hoodie, she walks out of the door to be met with the face she came to dislike. Momo merely raises her brow in question when their eyes met, not in the mood to start the greetings because one thing’s for sure; she already hates his guts at the sight of his so-called ‘charming’ smile.

“Took you a while.”

“Make it quick, I need to run for my shift now.”

His smile slightly falters at the harmless but spite tone of the blonde. Clearing his throat, he hands out a bag filled with all sorts of Momo’s favorite candies. She wears a confused look.

“It’s a peace offering.”

“For?”

“Well…” He rubs his nape while avoiding Momo’s sharp eyes. “I realized I’ve been such a jerk to you and it’s kind of unfair that you get treated like that when you did absolutely nothing. So instead of resuming this hostility between us, why not we start fresh and be friends instead? We’re already seniors, anyway. We should set a good example for the young ones.”

The blonde eyes him suspiciously, hands crossing across her chest. “You want something, don’t you?”

He laughs innocently, “What are you –”

“Spill it. I don’t have time for your shenanigans.”

He raised both hands before exhaling in defeat. “Okay, fine. I’ll be direct to the point. Look, I need some help and someone said that you’re the best in regards to this person.”

“Which person?”

“It’s,” He hesitates, directing his eyes to the floor. “Mina.”

Momo hardens her gaze at the mention of the penguin’s name. “What do you want with her?”

“I just want to get closer to her. You guys are always together and it seems like she’s a lot more comfortable with you than the others so I was thinking if you could, you know, let me hang out with you guys or something.”

She feels her chest swelling at the thought that someone did acknowledge their closeness but it quickly subsides from the clear intention of this .

“What makes you think that I’ll agree with this?”

“Just trying my luck.”

Momo shakes her head with clear disappointment shown on her face, before turning on her heel to leave.

“H-Hey, wait! You haven’t listened to my offer yet!” She maintains her speed towards the staircase. “My father’s restaurant has an opening for a commis chef.”

Her feet stop, her back facing him. He sneers to himself, before talking in a sympathetic way. “I heard that you’re working at that run down place because you want to get recommendation from the owner’s relative to work as a junior chef.”

“And?”

“If you help me, you can have that spot in our restaurant.”

Momo clenches her fists as anger thrums through her veins. It’s really low of him to think that she would agree blindly with this plan. She has more pride than what his has to offer.

“I can manage well so no, thank you.” She saunters away, leaving the poor guy flaring in frustration.

Momo tosses around in her bed that night, her mind seems to be wide awake despite her fatigued body. She can’t stop thinking about the unpleasant encounter with Johnny earlier. Somewhere deep in her heart, lies an uneasiness of seeing Mina together with someone else that is not her. She’s been having a well-rested sleep for the past few weeks because the only dream she has is of Mina.

The cute laughter showing her gummy smile, her eyes disappearing into crescent from happiness, the pout unconsciously forming when she’s tired, or the annoyed look she gave when she’s being teased endlessly. Momo loves it all, and Momo wants it all for her.

 

Momoringdingdong: What does Mina like?

Ahihihii: Uh, wrong number. Who’s this?

Momoringdingdong: Just answer it, Sana!

Ahihihii: How would I know? I’m not Mina

Momoringdingdong: You’re her roommate

Ahihihii: And you suppose I stalk her for trivial things? I’m not you

Momoringdingdong: You stalk Tzuyu on every day basis

Ahihihii: It’s called life dedication   

Ahihihii: Why tho?

Momoringdingdong: For research purpose

Ahihihii: You know there’s a Google app on your phone, right?

Momoringdingdong: You’re telling me to google Mina?

Momoringdingdong: That’s… not a bad idea

Ahihihii: Good luck on that, mate

Momoringdingdong: I can’t believe you make me fall for that

Ahihihii: That’s for disturbing my sweet time with Chewy

Momoringdingdong: Come on, Sana! I’ll make your favorite jokbal

Ahihihii: That’s your favorite, not mine

Momoringdingdong: Sharing is caring

Ahihihii: What did I do in my past life to deserve such a hopeless friend

Ahihihii: Seriously, if you want to confess, just cook or bake something

Ahihihii: Mina likes your food better than she likes you

Momoringdingdong: Yah! What’s that supposed to mean?!

Ahihihii: This number is out of reach at the moment… tututuuut

 

Momo stares at the screen in disbelief. She heaves out a sigh, her eyes falling on a sentence Sana wrote. Her forehead scrunches as she thinks deeply, an idea popping into her head. She quickly types a message with a wide grin on her face.

 

Hey, Miss Penguin

Are you free this weekend?

 

 

*

 

“Are you sure this is okay?”

“You’re talking to the sole manager of this place.”

“More like the personal cleaner of this room.”

Momo dramatically gasped with a hand on her chest, “I am deeply offended, your honor.” Resulting in a giggling fit from the penguin. “Don’t worry, I’ve already fill the booking form. I just need to be the “cleaner” and make sure the place is sparkly clean after we’re done.”

She places the bag filled with ingredients on top of the table top before taking out everything. She sneaks a peek on Mina who’s observing the cooking lab in awe. Her heart twitches when her stare fell on Mina’s eyes, sparkling with excitement and amazement of a simple measuring cup with different sizes hanging on the cupboard.

“Why does it look like as if you’re in a zoo instead of a kitchen?”

Mina frowns as she rounds a corner, “I’ve never been to any kitchen other than the one back in my house.”

“Do you cook often?”

“Sometimes.” Her shoulder raised, “I’m mostly the sous chef, is that what they call it?”

“Is that so? But you’re more suitable to be a porter, though.” Momo smirks teasingly, earning a confused look from the vice president.

“What’s a porter?”

“The cleaner, basically.” She barely avoids a rug thrown her away.

They managed to set up the utensils and ingredients needed for their next activity, which excites the penguin as she claps her hands eagerly. The blonde remembers Mina’s wish last time when she asked if she ever wanted to try to cook something.

“Cookies!”

“Cookies?”

“Yeah, I’ve been watching on Youtube about these cute animal-shaped cookies they made. They look delicious!”

“Ah, you just want to eat them rather than make them. These cheeks will get chubbier, you know?”

She received a glare and a frown, “I want to make them for you.”

“E-Eh?”

“But I guess I don’t have to, since it will make your cheeks chubbier.”

“W-What? Wait, Mina! I was just kidding!”

She rubs her nape at the memory, praying to herself that Mina wouldn’t remember about it. She turns to the girl who’s currently in deep concentration of scooping flour into the weighing scale. Momo giggles silently from the sheer concentration of a simple task. She’s already finished mixing up everything when Mina successfully finishes her task of measuring the floor accurately according to the recipe. The blonde decides to let Mina pour the ingredients into the mixture, only for the girl to squeal from the white grains blowing all over the place. The blonde guffawed at her flour-covered face, before running away from the furious penguin with a spatula in her hand, laughing and running around the lab in a game of tag.

They decided to compete who can decorate their cookies better, so Momo quickly takes a freshly baked batch and runs to a corner. She grins to herself, her plan going accordingly as she wished for. Satisfied with her work, Momo covers the cookies with a clean towel before carrying the plate to the vice president.

“Are you done yet?”

“Juuuust a bit more…” Her tongue protrudes out as she makes the final touch to her dog-shaped cookie. “There! Wah, I really did it!”

Momo proudly claps as she studies the decorated cookies, not expecting the adorable icing of drawings full of colors from the meticulous and studious vice president.

“Eh? What’s this?” Her voice raised an octave as she corners a separate batch, each written with a hiragana character that makes out “thank you” in Japanese.

“For everything you’ve done for me.” Mina turns to her with both hands on her back, a warm smile adorning her face with red hues on her cheeks. The blonde is stunned by the sight, her twitching heart making a pounding sound so loud, she feared if she’s going to have a heart attack soon.

“It’s… It’s nothing, really.” Momo scratches her nape sheepishly, averting her gaze to another cookie with a weird character drawn. A square face with large heart-shaped ears and whiskers. Mina appears by her side, “That’s a Moguri.”

“A what?”

“Moguri, since you look like a raccoon most of the time.”

“Is that supposed to be a compliment?” She pouts, but it morphs into a smile as she fondly watches the girl she likes happily laughing at her.

“Now let’s see your cookies.”

At the mention of that, the blonde got frozen on her spot as she anxiously watches Mina pull the covers away. The grin on the latter’s face slowly falters while Momo counts the seconds in her head with thumping chest and sweaty hands. In the middle of the penguin cookies making a big circle, is three round cookies decorated with “I U” on each of them. She thought it was a perfect plan, but now, Momo isn’t sure anymore as Mina keeps still without any movement, eyes still on the cookies.

“Uh, I guess you win this round, eh?” She forced a laugh, but it quickly dissipates when she sees Mina ducking her head lower. She can almost feel her heart clenching in disappointment, knowing she had failed. However, the cookie with heart icing appeared before her eyes.

Momo looks up, meeting eyes with a blushing Mina holding out the cookie.

 “W-What?”

“Take it.” She mumbles. “It’s my heart.”

Her heart throbs with joy from the hint of acceptance from Mina, a grin so wide etches on her face. She takes the hand holding the cookie, clasping their hands together. “It was supposed to be my heart,” She giggles softly. “I’ll definitely treasure it.”

“You mean it?” Mina looks at her expectantly, the blonde can see the orbs shining a bright color of brown. But Momo is being the usual Momo she is, with mirth playing on her lips as she responds.

“What, the cookie?” She lifts their hands holding the sweet treat. “Of course! I’ll keep it in an air-tight container and keep it hidden inside the fridge so it won’t rot –“

“Yah! I wasn’t talking about the cookie!”

Mina slaps Momo with a pout, which the blonde grab ahold of before pulling her closer, placing the pouting girl’s hand on top of her left chest. She stares deeply into Mina’s eyes, as if to convey the deepest desire of her heart.

“You already own a place in my heart, Mina.”