Soju

you make me a better person
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]Soju[/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2]4[/CONTENTID2]

[CONTENTID3]Shuhua entered her apartment. The apartment that she has been using for a little over a year now. She remembers when she first arrived in Korea. The walls blank, the cupboards empty, the rooms unfurnished. It was supposed to be her home, yet it resembled an austere prison cell. It was fitting. At the beginning of her stay in Korea, she did feel like a prisoner. She kept herself busy at CUBE for ninety percent of her day and the rest was either spent in her home or eating out. A prisoner out of her own free will, but a prisoner, nevertheless.

Now her apartment was worn in, homey even. There was a black line that blemished the white wall of the kitchen that served as a reminder of the one and only time she tried to cook and clumsily bumped her sautee pan on the wall beside her stovetop just as she was about to plate her dish. One might assume this caused her to spill all of the contents of the pan on the floor. That was a reasonable assumption, but a wrong assumption. The food in her pan was cooked to death and stuck on to the nonstick pan like glue. This fiasco was a testament to her nonexistent cooking skills. There were polaroids—many of her and Minnie, and one of her, Minnie, Soojin, and Soyeon (a recent addition to her collection)— that decorated her bedroom walls that she accompanied with string lights that added a warm hue to brighten up the atmosphere of her home. Moreover, her fridge now contained real food, not just water bottles and takeout boxes. Specifically, food packed into tupperwares that she has gotten from Soojin. 

Shuhua has been a constant figure in the dorm ever since she tasted Soojin's seaweed soup. Shuhua would argue that it might even beat her mother's cooking. Don't tell her mom she said that though. It would be one of the biggest betrayals a child could commit toward their mother: criticizing her cooking. At first, Shuhua felt guilty for coming over for food so often. Despite the fact that Minnie and Soojin would probably blackmail her to come if they had to, she felt like a thief. Whenever she arrived at their door, her head was hung low, a sheepish smile on her face. 

However, Soojin reassured the younger girl each time she voiced her doubts with a smile, "Don't worry, Shuhua." and would proceed to invite her in to wait as she prepared food for the foreign trainee to take home. Soojin was not what Shuhua was expecting. Her cold exterior contrasted the warmth of her personality. Her aura was intimidating, yet she seemed to always want to make Shuhua comfortable in her presence. Her eyes seemed cold, but when she smiled, Shuhua could feel the warmth radiated behind them. Soojin was a living paradox. Confusing, yet intriguing.

After the numerous reassurances from the dorm members, Shuhua finally felt comfortable coming over to the dorm because she knew she was wanted there. In fact, Shuhua came by so often that the three roommates would be surprised if she wasn't there. Her hyperactive personality was difficult not to notice and the three agreed that the dorm felt empty without her loud voice, playful banter, and dorky freestyle dancing. 

The four continued to grow closer to each other, as the temperatures in Korea began to steadily decline. The colder weather signaled the end of December was approaching which meant that the beginning of a new year was just around the corner. To celebrate, Minnie suggested the idea that the three roommates should throw a laid-back New Year's countdown party, with Shuhua invited of course. Shuhua offered to use her place for the party because it was more spacious than the others' dorm. And so, the plan was in place. The party would take place at Shuhua's apartment on the last day of the year.

On December 31st, Minnie, Soojin, and Soyeon arrived at Shuhua's apartment. Shuhua greeted her guests upon their arrival. The Taiwanese girl wasn't surprised that Soojin was holding boxes of fried chicken, because she had sent a message to the group chat beforehand saying that she would do so. However, she was surprised to see Minnie holding bottles of beer and soju upon their arrival. Minnie justified herself, seeing Shuhua gawking at the bottles, by saying, "Don't you guys know? Alcohol is the best way to stay warm." 

To which Shuhua countered, "My love isn't enough for you, Minnie-unnie?" in the most agonizing attempt to replicate a baby's voice. 

"Shut up, you don't even love me. You love Soojin now. Another reason why I need these," Minnie retorted, raising her arms, referring to the cases of glass bottles filled with alcohol.

Shuhua shrugged at Minnie's statement. She could not deny nor confirm these allegations. 

Soojin rolled her eyes playfully, her lips turned up forming a smug smirk at Shuhua's silence, "Minnie, you're so extra sometimes. Get inside so her favorite unnie and Soyeon can get in please. It's cold out here." Minnie entered the apartment begrudgingly, allowing the other two to enter the warm home. Soyeon went over to Minnie to pat her back, "It's okay Minnie. I'm sure there's someone else out there who loves you for who you are," teasing the older girl.

"You guys can sit over there," Shuhua said, gesturing at the long couch in the living room while she went to grab a few plastic cups, plates, and napkins. 

In the meantime, all the older girls picked their place on the couch. Soojin sat on the far right while Soyeon sat on the far left. Minnie sat closer to Soyeon, which Soojin assumed was a petty attempt to spite her after her not-so-kind remark at the doorway beforehand. So, that left a spot for Shuhua in between the two feuding girls. "You guys can stop pouting now. Make up with each other please." It was ironic that she, the youngest, was saying these words to the eldest girls of the room. Soyeon added, "Yeah, Soojin. I don't think Minnie's ever been this close to me," gesturing at the way Minnie's side was aggressively pressed against her (probably to try to maximize the distance between her and Soojin), "And I don't really enjoy being sandwiched between her and this couch arm."

Soojin started her apology, "Okay Minnie. Let's be nice to each other again. We should start 2017 on the right foot. I'm sorry..." 

Minnie finally glanced at her direction. Her eyes traveled back and forth between Soojin and Shuhua, "And?" Apparently, Minnie was expecting more than just an apology from Soojin.

"And what..?" Soojin asked the Thai girl in confusion. Minnie glared at Shuhua then back at Soojin. "I'm sorry Shuhua loves me more than you?" Soojin added, not quite sure what Minnie was referring to, but also not being able to resist such a good opportunity to tease the older girl.

"She's just kidding, Minnie. Don't mind her," Shuhua quickly interjected trying to salvage Soojin's apology, giving Soojin's knee a reprimanding smack. "You already know how much I love you," Shuhua continued turning to face Minnie, spreading her arms out wide childishly, "I love you this much!" 

"That much!" Soyeon added for emphasis. "Wow, Minnie she must love you a lot. Now please get off of me so I can breathe properly. My lungs were not meant to be compressed like this." 

"Nice teamwork guys. Good apology. Could've been better, but I'll let it slide," Minnie replied instantly getting off of Soyeon turning back to her usual, less-sensitive self quicker than anyone could say mood swing. "All I really needed was Shuhua's love after all." 

Of course, Minnie knew she blew this situation out of proportion. However, this was just part of a few trials she has been conducting recently. Minnie, the scientist, made interesting observations these past few weeks that led her to create a hypothesis that urgently needed to be tested. Minnie's hypothesis is as follows: Soojin shows signs of displeasure whenever Shuhua's attention was not on her. Therefore, Minnie, much to her enjoyment, has been running trials to test her hypothesis. Her trials were simple enough:

Step One: Getting Shuhua to pay attention to her.

Step Two: Take note of Soojin's reaction. 

Soojin's subtle wince after witnessing the current banter between Minnie and Shuhua was just another trial that further proved her hypothesis was correct. And there haven't been many—actually, zero—trials that proved Minn

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter