One

Trial and Error

Thank you so much for subscribing already! owo I hope I won't disappoint c: 

--

 

Discarded in a corner of his room, lies Chanyeol’s suit jacket. The dark gray button down shirt that just now casually hung over his shoulders, is dropped to the floor next to his bed. With a groan, Chanyeol lies down on his back. He runs his fingers through his hair, eyes closed because he’s tired. It’s not the first time mistakes happen and Chanyeol needs to figure out a way to stop them from happening in the future. This one is particularly big and he just figured out a way to solve an old problem…

His brows are drawn together in a frustrated frown, but he at least tries to relax this time. The arm that rests next to his head, though, is still flexing, his muscles restless. His chest heaves when he sighs, trying to calm his agitated heart. The light in his room catches on his trained chest, showing the dip beneath his navel and casting shades around his defined abdomen.

Chanyeol notices his door opening, his ears easily picking up on the subtle sound in the otherwise silent room. He doesn’t open his eyes, waits for the maid to tell him what’s on her mind, but nothing happens. So when the silence lasts, Chanyeol props himself up on his elbow, raising a brow at the intruder.

His eyes scan the young man standing in his doorway. He looks flustered, shorter than Chanyeol, eyes raking over his bare torso. Chanyeol recognizes the young man from somewhere, but isn’t entirely sure who he is. The way he is clad in a hoodie and ripped jeans, though, tells Chanyeol he’s not one of the businessmen he so regularly has meetings with. The man’s hair looks soft and is dyed a light color. A smirk tugs at Chanyeol’s tired lips when he calls out exactly that which he is reminded of when looking at the man.

“Honey,” he says, deep voice resounding in his bedroom for the first time in a good while. Chanyeol doesn’t invite people here, nobody has business here. The man’s droopy eyes snap up to Chanyeol’s, looking like he’s caught in some illegal act. And, well, he is inside the house of someone who hasn’t exactly invited him there. However, Chanyeol can’t possibly wipe the smirk off his face when he takes note of the soft pink cheeks, the man obviously embarrassed to be in this situation. The distraction from his problems is welcome and Chanyeol embraces it. “What are you doing here?” he eventually asks, taking in the way the stranger has trouble not to let his eyes wander down every two seconds or so.

“I… I – well the sheets,” the other man eventually answers in a stutter. Chanyeol notes that not only does his appearance look like honey, his voice sounds like it as well. He raises a brow when he sees the man recompose himself. “I’m here to change the sheets, you’re not supposed to be here,” he blurts. Chanyeol’s poker face slips on. Had he not been so good at that, his jaw would be visibly clenched by now.

“Excuse me?”

 

--

 

Mr. Park rises from his bed in an all too smooth and alluring – but intimidating – fashion. Baekhyun swallows when the tall man nears him, stands close enough that Baekhyun would have to look up to meet his eyes. And he doesn’t because Baekhyun is terrified. Not because he doesn’t know what Mr. Park is capable of, nor because he thinks he’s some mafia lord, but because Baekhyun has always been the failure. He has always been on this side of the argument, always been the one to receive punishment or harsh words.

“If anyone is not supposed to be here, it’s you, honey,” the man says and Baekhyun doesn’t get it. He’s not anyone’s honey, especially not this man’s. Hard abs are right in front of him and Baekhyun can impossibly ignore the warm scent coming off him. A linger of cologne finishes it and it’s difficult to not waver.

“I meant to say you’re early,” he replies in a soft voice, then tries to swallow away the unease building in his throat. Mr. Park steps away a little and Baekhyun meets his eyes briefly, fearing what will come. Because people have yelled at him so many times that he comes to expect it and it hurts, so much.

“Well,” Mr. Park starts, “I don’t know why you decided to wear these unprofessional clothes when you’re on the job, but go right on ahead then.” Baekhyun can’t read him, he doesn’t know if this is annoyance or amusement. Nevertheless, Baekhyun is nervous. He doesn’t know where to start – he should have had this place to himself for now, he should have had the time to figure out where he keeps his bedlinen. He realizes he’s fiddling with his fingers for too long and that it would make it more than obvious that he has no clue what he’s supposed to do, so he smiles when he looks up.

“So, where do you keep your things?” he asks, happy at the space created between the two now that Mr. Park has retreated to sit on a comfortable recliner in the corner near a large window. A smile – brought entirely by surprise – opens up Mr. Park’s face and his eyebrows draw up.

“I notice you’re well prepared for this,” he says and Baekhyun looks down. His face has fallen again because he’s being mocked and he shouldn’t have expected anything else, but for a moment, he thought he could give this man a chance. “Go ahead and look around, surely you’ll be able to find something you can use.”

But Mr. Park’s room is empty, save for the bed, a nightstand and a rug. Oh and of course the recliner the man sits on. That’s easy to overlook though, with the presence of Park Chanyeol covering it. Shirtless. Because that shirt lies on the floor.

Baekhyun turns around, giving nobody any more time to reprimand him, but at the same time, not having any clue where to go next. Simply opening up any door would seem rude to him, but Mr. Park hasn’t said anything about rooms he’s not supposed to go inside. He only knew the way to his bedroom because his father, Mr. Park’s head butler, had told him. And now, he’s left to figure it out on his own, knowing that the owner of the house is waiting for him to return. Waiting for him to change the sheets on his bed while Baekhyun has never changed any bed larger than his own one-person mattress. Well it’s not like he’s afraid he won’t be able to do it, because come on, but someone watching him doing it is an entirely different story.

The first door he opens, shows an elaborate bathroom, beautifully tiled in crisp white, the utilities slick and minimalist. Baekhyun should have expected no less in a house like this, but from the front door to the bedroom, he hadn’t taken the time to look at anything. Feeling guilty about wandering around in a house that isn’t his, but his father’s client…

That’s when he realizes Mr. Park hasn’t asked him how he got in. In no way does the house owner seem uncomfortable at a stranger in his home, wandering around, telling him he wishes to change the bed sheets. How does that not bother him? Did he know Baekhyun would be here? It didn’t particularly seem like it… He did say on the job, though – his father must have said at least something.

He notices he’s spacing out and figures it would be best to get on with the task at hand instead of wondering.

Another door is opened, seems much like a walk-in closet and Baekhyun will not allow himself a single second longer to look inside it. Just that short glance gave away too much, suits, shoes, those large sliding dresser drawers – it’s intimidating. The entire house is intimidating, to be fair. Baekhyun didn’t have much of a choice though, living without a job and at his father’s mercy – it’s best to comply to the old man’s wishes.

“Excuse me, can I help you with something?” a female voice calls out and Baekhyun stills in his tracks. She’s going to yell at him to get out, he’s not supposed to be here. She’s going to call Mr. Park over and make sure Baekhyun never sets foot in this house again – why did his father not introduce him to any of the maids or butlers? “Oh don’t worry,” she says, a blinding smile gracing her petite face. “I’m merely Mr. Park’s maid, I’m not here to slaughter you.” She laughs. She must think Baekhyun’s Mr. Park’s guest or something…

“I… was looking for the bedlinen,” he guiltily tells her. “I know you must not recognize me and I don’t wear the proper attire yet but I’m here to work and nobody told me anything and I’m lost,” he rambles.

 

--

 

Chanyeol picks his dress shirt back up, sighing deeply because even though he doesn’t want to, he has a little bit of work left to do for the day. He’d much rather watch the new guy struggle here – a bit of comedy to relieve his mind of all the stress he dealt with all day, is more than welcome.

He buttons up his shirt, knows it’s silly because nobody is going to see him, then whips his phone out of his pocket. He merely raises his eyes at the sound of Yoona, one of his maids, speaking to the honey boy. It doesn’t really surprise him that he needs help, nor does he mind. He knows the struggle of being new at something – but that doesn’t mean that he has no high expectations for him in the long run. Because if this is who Baekho sent as his replacement, then the old man must think of him highly.

So is he fired yet?

Chanyeol sends the text to Jongdae, his right-hand man. And it doesn’t surprise him that he doesn’t reply right away. Jongdae doesn’t like to fire anyone, not even if they stuff up. So when a few minutes pass, Chanyeol just calls him. At the same time, the new guy returns with the sheets. Looking a little lost, if Chanyeol is to judge him. Nevertheless, he doesn’t say anything, just watches him struggle as he waits for Jongdae to pick up his phone.

You would fire him after one mistake?” Jongdae asks as soon as he picks up. Nobody else can start a conversation with the CEO like that, but Jongdae is well aware of his privileged position. Chanyeol sits up straighter, crosses his legs and sighs. He doesn’t need to hide his emotions from a mere butler, but he still wishes to keep to himself. It’s difficult in this particular situation though.

“As soon as I got back, I laid out the plan for you. The board agreed – everything was ready. And then this head ruins everything in one meeting. That’s not just a mistake, Jongdae.” During his conversation, with rising emotions, he keeps his gaze trained on the man who seems to try his hardest to not glance over at Chanyeol. His pillows are, without any form of respect, thrown to the ground, he struggles with the duvet cover and stumbles multiple times. All this while, Jongdae stays silent, coming up with a good response.

He was trying to gain Zhang’s trust by–

“By what? Portraying me as a player? Showing my vulnerable side so he will show his? What bull, Jongdae. He had absolutely no right.” When the honey boy snaps his head up to look at Chanyeol’s outburst, he bites his lip. He has to keep his cool.

We have nobody else to take his position. Firing him now will only make us weaker,” Jongdae reasons and Chanyeol has to do everything in his power to see things from the other man’s perspective.

“One last chance, one. And not only will Zhang cooperate with us, he will like me, do you understand? We planned for this in the first place, so see to it that it happens this time.”

Jongdae talks to him, but Chanyeol isn’t listening anymore. Uncharacteristically so, because Chanyeol always listens, always looks to understand the situation to the best of his capabilities to make the most of it. But Chanyeol frowns deeply when he sees the man, clad in a loose hoodie and ripped jeans, balance on the edge of his bed to wriggle the duvet inside the fresh sheets. Appalled, he’s on his way to push himself from his chair, tell this guy off – but then the stranger looks at him.

And loses his poor balance because he’s startled at the sudden movement. A little too harshly, Chanyeol grabs his upper arm, stilling him mid-fall and pushing him to fall on the bed instead. The stress he’s been holding in from the scandal created by a buffoon who he doesn’t even like in the first place, then being confronted with the fact that his beloved head butler will retire and assign a new employee – to this guy. Goofing around in his bedroom like he has any business there. Chanyeol, for the first time in years, snaps.

“What the hell do you think you’re doing?”

 

--

So let me just clarify one little thing, I just used random names I heard here or there, outside of EXO, I don't  know anyone x) so they don't have a specific person they're referring to, they're just my characters with .. names c: 

Thank you so much for reading the first chapter! I hope you like it c: it's all still a bit of a mess, but hopefully, that will get better ^^ also please keep in mind that it's been about a year and a half since I last wrote fanfiction, so I'm a bit rusty x3