SEUNGYOON

Youth Over Flower

He was only supposed to mourn for his lost love. He didn't mean to end up like this.

How long has it been? Days? Weeks? Months? It's hard to tell since he hasn't left the house ever since he returned. Afraid that he might go running crazily back to Seunghoon once he steps outside and all his efforts until now will be rendered useless.

He still cries himself to sleep. He still has no appetite. And he just wants to drink his sadness and pain away. Like right now. He just came from his wine cellar and was about to go to his outdoor lounge when he clumsily and stupidly tripped over his own legs. The wine bottle and glass on his hands shattered, broken pieces under him pricking every skin from his torso to his arms and neck. Jinwoo knows he's bleeding and he can't seem to move his body due to lack of energy.

Jinwoo notices movements just outside the floor to ceiling window of the living room. In the corner of his eyes, he makes out a figure of a man. He likes to cry for help but he's just too pathetic at the moment that he can't even make a sound. It's not like he's dying. Funny but not really funny.

And suddenly, he hears a rush of feet. "Oh ."

In just a few seconds, he feels warm hands raising him from his mess. "Oh . Oh . Hang in there, man. You can't die. Oh , what am I gonna do there's just so much blood?"

Jinwoo can clearly see the boy's feature now that he is facing him, cradled on the boy's arms. "Sunflower." He whispers.

"Oh my, you're delirious now!"

Jinwoo beckons him to come closer and the boy follows, "I'm not really dying. And it's red wine, not my blood."

The boy pulls away with an even more horrified look on his face. Jinwoo smiles weekly and put a hand peppered with small cuts on the boy's fluffy cheek. "Sunflower."

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


 

The boy is helping Jinwoo attend to his wounds. Nothing really serious, but it's a shame to ruin such porcelain skin.

"What a dramatic way to meet you, hyung." The boy says while haphazardly putting a band aid on Jinwoo's right-side jaw.

"Thank you for saving me." Jinwoo smiles at the boy who is as warm as the sun.

He's tall and skinny with blond hair, foxy eyes, plump cheeks and full lips. He's beautiful and dazzling. Jinwoo knew from the moment he laid eyes on him that he's the owner of the sunflower painting. The boy is glowing with energy.

Jinwoo is putting back the betadine cream inside the first-aid kit when he asks, "By the way, what urgent business made you trespass on my property?"

"Oh, you're the owner of this place?" The boy has the most excessive facial expression and body language. If Jinwoo's going to use a pop-culture term, he'll use meme-worthy.

Jinwoo nods.

"Please, don't call the police." The boy presses his hands together in front of Jinwoo, begging. "I don't want to get in trouble. I'm already in my last year in college, I don't want to blow up my future."

"You should have thought of that before you broke in." Jinwoo responds.

"Let's just say I was fated to do this so I could help you earlier."

"Fair enough." This response from Jinwoo seems to brighten up the boy. "So, going back. What are you doing here? This place is really far and hidden. How did you even know this place exists?"

The boy bites on his plump lower lip then scratch his head. "I was hoping to see Mino. I may or may not stalk him once when he came here."

"Oh, right." Jinwoo bobs his head, recalling the boy's reason for selling his soul. He looks like an intelligent kid, he wonders how Mino managed to sweep him off his feet. "I'm sorry to disappoint you but he's not here. We may or may not got into a huge fight and I may and may not told him to get lost forever."

The boy gasps. "Are you also...?"

"Yep."

"What did you wish for?"

"Just petty things like youth and beauty but Mino gave me a bonus second life."

The boy gasps again, this time exaggeratedly loud. "How old are you?"

"24."

The boy gives him a blank expression. "Is this where I'll ask, 'How long have you been 24?'"

Jinwoo laughs as he ruffles his hair. "I've been around even before the second world war."

"That long?!" He's eyes wide with shock.

"I'm 123 years old now."

"Hal-abeoji!"

Jinwoo tackles the boy playfully. "How dare you call me that?! Do I look like a gramps to you?"

The boy is laughing, his husky voice sounds like music. "Anyway if you're physically 24, then I'm older than you. I'm 26 now. I should be the one you're calling hyung."

"Hyung your face, sunflower. Presently, I'm 29."

"Why do you keep calling me, Sunflower?" The boy, no, the man asks indignantly. "My name is Seungyoon."

"Seung... yoon?" Jinwoo is taken aback. Suddenly, all the pain comes rushing into him. Tears pooling his eyes.

"Yes, hyung?" Seungyoon is suddenly alarmed. "Are you hurt? Where?"

Jinwoo just points at his heart.

"Eh?"

"The love of my life who is now my ex, his name is Seunghoon!" Jinwoo wails. "Why are your names almost the same? Just one ing letter!"

Seungyoon is at a loss for words. At first, he finds it comical that Jinwoo is suddenly balling his eyes out at the mention of his ex-lover. But Seungyoon can actually feel Jinwoo's grief from the sound he makes, pain, regret and longing. Seungyoon can't do anything but to pat sympathetically on the shoulder of a beautiful angel ugly crying in front of him.

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


 

"I can't call you by your name or else I'll be crying every damn time."

"But stop calling me sunflower. At least call me Yoon. That's better." Seungyoon complains as he rummages Jinwoo's refrigerator and cupboards. "Gosh! How did you survive without food?"

"But you are sunflower." Jinwoo shrugs as he watches Seungyoon moves around.

Jinwoo has no choice but to warm up right away to Seungyoon. Aside from the fact that they are both part of Mino's collection, Seunghoon had changed him. He taught Jinwoo to let people in. Jinwoo fights back his tears as he remembers Seunghoon again.

"Wait. Don't tell me Mino hasn't shown you the painting?" Jinwoo asks curiously.

"What painting?" Seungyoon inquires.

"Your painting."

"I don't paint. I only take pictures." He says as he return to the living room with a pack of potato chips and a bottle of coke.

Jinwoo quickly grabs Seungyoon's hand once he is seated. He pulls him to his feet and tugs him to the direction of the stairs.

"Hyung, my food. I'm really hungry." He protests.

"Forget it, they are already expired anyway." Jinwoo drags him upstairs to the second floor. "So you mean to say Mino didn't orient you about this whole I'mma-grant-your-wish-in-exhange-of-your-soul-thing?"

"Eh? I thought the was the standard initiation rites? Is there more?"

"There's no standard initiation rites actually. It's up to Mino how he likes to seal the deal. And it seems to me that he just wanted to get into your pants right away." Jinwoo leads Seungyoon to his bedroom then make Seungyoon kneel on the upholstered bench at the feet of his bed.

"Wait, hyung." Seungyoon panicks. "I'm strictly monogamous!"

"Shut up and just look ahead, silly."

Seungyoon does as he's told and he sees a beautiful painting of a sunflower in front of him. He can't help his, "Wow!"

Jinwoo sits down next to where Seungyoon is kneeling. "Mino creates an artwork to house the soul that he takes from us. He makes sure that he captures your identity in the painting. Mino only collects the most beautiful people because he likes creating beautiful artworks. Just like you." Jinwoo smiles earnestly on the man beside him. Seungyoon's eyes are twinkling with unshed tears.

"But since his artworks reflect our soul, it becomes ugly every time we do something bad. And it looks like you've been a good boy for the last 5 years. And I commend you for that. Yours is still as beautiful as when he painted it."

"I can't believe this is how I look like in Mino's eyes. I always thought I'm not good enough because he keeps on disappearing." Seungyoon's smile is bittersweet.

"You must understand that Mino is not from this world. He likes his freedom and he easily gives in to his greed and needs." Jinwoo reaches to Seungyoon and rubs his back. "But I've known him for so long and I just know you're special to him."

Jinwoo suddenly remembers the last night he saw Mino. He thought he knows him. But is he wrong all along? That was the first time he saw that side of Mino. Jinwoo shakes his head.

"How long has he been missing this time?" Jinwoo inquires.

Seungyoon sighs. "Four months. It's the longest so far. And I'm about to lose my mind." He flops down on the bench beside Jinwoo.

"The longest he can be MIA is four years. Just so you know." Jinwoo bumps his shoulder to Seungyoon. "But the fact that he frequently visits you in the last five years means something, don't you think?"

Seungyoon rubs his eyes and sighs. "How did you managed all these years?"

Jinwoo shrugs. "I just stopped expecting. Mino made it clear from the very start that I'm just a masterpiece and that I'm all on my own in this second life he gave me. He never interfered with my business, though I'm glad he was always there when I felt like self-destructing. Looking back now, I think I might actually have done some pretty bad things in the past just so he would come to me."

"Were you in love with him?" Seungyoon whispers anxiously.

"At some point I thought I was." Jinwoo admits. "I had a terrible past which led to trust issues. When I craved for companionship in the past, I always sought Mino. The silly me thought my dependency to Mino was love. Until I finally found out how love really feels like."

Jinwoo gives Seungyoon a sympathetic look. "I've come to realize a long time ago that it's impossible for Mino to fall for someone. He's just too tough and void. Though there are rare times he tries to be emphatic and considerate."

"I don't like to believe that just because Mino is a demon, it also means he doesn't have a heart." Seungyoon sighs as he sits on the bench beside Jinwoo. "Whenever I look into his eyes, I can feel something humane buried deep inside him."

'Bless Seungyoon for his pure and non-judgemental heart.' Jinwoo thinks. He leans Seungyoon's head on his shoulder.

"He must really care about you a lot for you to see that."

"Aren't you going to scold me and tell me that I'm just being blinded by my love for him?"

"I admit Mino is an but he won't lead you on and make you feel special if you aren't really that special to him." Jinwoo plays with Seungyoon's fringes. "He rarely takes care of his masterpieces once he claimed them. But he kept coming back for you all this time."

"But why is he nowhere to be found now? Where is he? Do you think he suddenly realized that he doesn't want me anymore?" Seungyoon's voice sounds so uncertain and insecure.

It hurts Jinwoo's heart. He wonders if this is also the same thoughts Seunghoon is having in the last four months. Tears start to pool around his eyes.

"Maybe he's doing this for the better. I'm sure he has his reasons. Have faith in him, okay?"

He feels Seungyoon nods. They were both silent at the moment. Two soulless people with broken hearts, longing for their lovers. They are sharing the same fate and pain.

"Can I stick with you until Mino comes around? I'm just really lonely lately." Seungyoon asks quietly as he pulls away.

"Staying here can't guarantee he will come around anytime soon." Jinwoo warns.

"That's fine. I have you here." He grins like a puppy. "I feel like I instantly gain an older brother."

"Okay. You're very much welcome." Jinwoo ruffles Seungyoon's hair. "I have a spare room next door. And I haven't really met someone like me for ages. I can use a company."

Seungyoon gives him a hug.

"I have to warn you though. I can be very insufferable."

"I'll manage." Seungyoon says confidently. "But hyung, please, just call me Yoon."

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


 

Jinwoo had never been an older brother before. But he thinks he's doing a great job caring for and doting Seungyoon.

"Are you seriously letting me drive this car, hyung?" Seungyoon's voice is high-pitched with disbelief as he stares at a gray two-door Maserati Spyder in front of him. Seungyoon knows it's an old model, but still, it's an expensive car he never thought he will ever be able to drive for the rest of his challenging life.

"Yeah, I think I'll stick with the SUV. Besides, it will be hard for you to go back and forth to the university if you don't have a car."

"Hyung!" Seungyoon hugs him tight then tugs at Jinwoo's arm. "Let's go for a test drive! I've never drove a luxury car before. I need you to guide me."

"Wait, Yoon, no! I'm not going anywhere!" Jinwoo hugs on a foundation column of the garage

"Come on! I promise I won't drive to the city."

"Yoon!"

Seungyoon shoves his puppy dog eyes in front of Jinwoo's face. "Pretty please?"

Jinwoo can't resist that look so he sighs in resignation. "Okay, okay. I need you to chain me to the passenger seat though. So I won't run off."

Seungyoon just laughs at him. "Let's do some grocery shopping as well while we're at it. We need to stock up your kitchen."

They both get in the car, Seungyoon is scrutinizing the dashboard to familiarize himself.

"Maybe we should shop for your clothes as well." Jinwoo offers.

"Nah, that's too much, hyung."

"It's okay." Jinwoo takes out his black card. "It's been a long time since I last used this. Let's fill up your closet."

"Hyung!" It's Seungyoon's turn to complain.

"I'm not taking no for an answer." Jinwoo just shrugs him off. "This is your punishment from dragging me along."

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


 

Jinwoo's breakdowns become a little bearable for him ever since Seungyoon starts living with him in the house. The boy is basically a bouncing ball of sunshine. He lightens up the house with just his presence and laughter. And Jinwoo feels secured now that he has someone to lean on during his worst days.

True to his words though, Jinwoo can be super duper mega ultra insufferable and Seungyoon is getting tired of it already.

"I really want to go to him right now and beg him to take me back." Jinwoo whimpers after gulping down his nth glass of whisky.

"How many times have you said that? But you never did anyway." Seungyoon drinks his beer. He has heard the same words from Jinwoo too often he thinks he has it memorized already.

"Seungyoon, look at me." Seungyoon obeys nonchalantly.

"Promise me that when I got drunk, you will stop me from going, okay?" Jinwoo slurs then drops his head on the center table with a thud.

"Yes, hyung."

1. 2. 3. 4.

Jinwoo springs to his feet like a mad man. Well, he is mad.

"I love him so much. I want to see him right now!" And Jinwoo exits the living room to the hallway. A few steps left between him and the front door yet he still hasn't heard any movement from Seungyoon.

"Seungyoon!"

"Yes?"

"I said I want to see him!"

"Okay. Drive safely."

Jinwoo shuffles back to the living room. "I told you to stop me!"

"Stop being a drama queen, hyung. If you have the courage to see him, you would've gone a long time ago."

"Seungyoon, do you want to get kicked out?" Jinwoo warns.

"Fine." Seungyoon stands and come closer to Jinwoo. He raises Jinwoo's right arm and places it in both his hands. "Don't go, hyung." He acts like how you see in dramas Jinwoo likes to watch. "Kajima. Ka.ji.maaaa!"

Jinwoo collapses and cry some serious tears once more. And Seungyoon, being a loyal puppy that he is, just hugs Jinwoo and listens to his guttural cry.

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


 

Seungyoon looks at the guy named Seunghoon from the passenger seat of Jinwoo's car. He can see that the guy is really attractive, no wonder Jinwoo is having a hard time forgetting him.

And unlike the man beside him who always looks tired, whose cheeks are sunken and eyes surrounded by dark circles, the other man looks great and is functioning well.

Seungyoon sighs. "Jinwoo-hyung, why are we here?"

"Is it a crime to check up on him?" Jinwoo asks defensively as he wraps his hands tightly around the steering wheel.

"No. But are you a masochist?" Seungyoon retorts.

Jinwoo looks at him, sunglasses hiding his red-rimmed eyes. "I just want to make sure he's doing well."

"And what if he isn't, theoretically?"

Jinwoo withdraws his hands and entwines it on his lap. His eyes following it. "I--- I don't know."

"I don't understand why you have to make yourself suffer like this when you still love him this much." Seungyoon says, a little irritated.

"Because I'm not good for him." Jinwoo whispers. "If only we met under different circumstances..."

Jinwoo had told Seungyoon his love and break up story. And he can't really say he understands Jinwoo. He thinks he has a point but he also thinks Jinwoo just complicated things.

"You're not making sense to me." Seungyoon snaps. "You think your paths would have still crossed if you didn't sell your soul and live long enough? You should have just it all up and didn't leave him."

"But I don't want to expose him in our world! Besides, he looks great now. I know I made the right decision."

"Hyung, this is stupid. Okay, let's say he has moved on. What now? How about you? Have you seen yourself in the mirror lately? Just because you're beauty is guaranteed doesn't mean you won't look bad. Because frankly, you look awful."

Jinwoo sighs in resignation. "I'm tired. Let's go home."

"Right. Run away again."

"Damn it, Seungyoon." Jinwoo punches the steering wheel which causes its horn to blare. "What do you want me to do? Show up at his front door and throw his life into a disarray again? I've done enough damage!"

This is the first time Jinwoo lashes out like this to Seungyoon and the first time he calls him in his full first name. Seungyoon is gaping in surprise.

"Move on? It's easier said than done." Jinwoo throws his sunglasses somewhere in the backseat so he can harshly brush his tears away. "He is the best thing that ever happened to me! It was an unforgettable love, or at least for me. I can't let it go so easily. Not when I can still feel it in my heart how it feels like to be loved by that wonderful man, the happiness he gave is still lingering warmly in my chest. Not when I feel like I'm dying when I think about how he's doing so well forgetting about me now." He chokes.

Jinwoo's eyes are livid. He's very angry, but not to Seungyoon or to Seunghoon. He's angry towards himself. He's furious that it was his choice but it's him who is still holding on, standing stranded on the same ground. He's enraged that he keeps lurking around Seunghoon like a ghost when he is supposed to let him go on with his life. The way he contradicts himself and his decisions reminds him of what Seunghoon loves about him the most and it chokes him to death.

Jinwoo quickly wills himself to stop crying and recover. The sobs stopped but his tears are still continuously streaming down his lovely face. He starts the engine and drives away.

Seungyoon sees on the side mirror how Seunghoon's head turns as his eyes follow Jinwoo's car when it moves past the daycare. Seungyoon thinks this is plain and utterly stupid but there are tears forming in his eyes.

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


 

It's late afternoon and it's Seungyoon's turn to have a major breakdown. Apparently, it has been exactly a year since he last saw Mino.

Seungyoon has always been optimistic and emotionally strong. He thinks that Mino's absence led him to Jinwoo, to whom he so easily formed brotherly ties with. And instead of moping, unlike Jinwoo, he redirected his longing for Mino to completing his degree that was way overdue.

Seungyoon just misses Mino so much today and without any distraction, he can't seem to hold it all inside anymore.

He comes barging in to Jinwoo's room, not minding that Jinwoo is having a moment of his own, soaking a dress shirt that used to be Seunghoon's with his tears, and just buries his face in Jinwoo's abdomen. He lets out his uncontrallable cry which makes Jinwoo panic as he sets aside his own pain to comfort Seungyoon, brushing his hair. Offering only his warmth and presence, no promises that it's going to be okay or crying will make him feel better. Because he knows it won't. Nothing can mend their brokenness but the persons they love the most.

After a while, Seungyoon eventually stops and feels very tired.

They are silent. Eyes lifeless and lost in their own individual pain.

"Hyung," Seungyoon's hoarse voice breaks the silence. Jinwoo looks down on him. "I got a job offer to travel all over the world so I can take pictures of landscapes."

Jinwoo's hand stops brushing Seungyoon's hair. "Is that so? I guess the house will be silent again." Jinwoo smiles sadly.

Seungyoon tucks the strands of Jinwoo's hair that is blocking his eyes. "I want you to come with me."

Jinwoo's eyes softens. "Yoonie---"

"We have to go on with our lives."

"I am going on with my life."

"This isn't life. You're imprisoning yourself." Seungyoon traces the dark circle under Jinwoo's left eye. "Come with me and let's leave it all behind."

"I don't want to forget him." Jinwoo bites his lip as he fights back his tears. "I'm scared that if I forget about him and the love we shared, it will all feel like just a sad beautiful dream. Like it never happened and it was just me imagining things."

Seungyoon gets up to sit in front of Jinwoo. "I'm not asking you to forget about him or stop loving him. I don't think I can also do the same to Mino. But we have to put ourselves back together."

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


 

Seungyoon's project only lasted a year but they've gone to a lot of places that were new to them. The trip was exhausting yet satisfying. They experienced camping in the middle of nowhere, under the stars or crying dark clouds. They had close encounters with wild animals, both ferocious and tame ones.

And Jinwoo tended to always wander on his own absentmindedly and end up lost that Seungyoon almost had heart attacks multiple times. Strangely though, Jinwoo would just smile at Seungyoon tenderly and apologetically and all Seungyoon's worries would fade, even though his face and body sustained few scratches from his misadventures. With Seungyoon, Jinwoo felt like he could be a child again. Ignorant, innocent and carefree. Because Seungyoon was there to take care of him, even though in reality he is older.

While in America, Seungyoon met a group of zoologists and botanists who tried to recruit him as a photographer for their research. He liked the challenge and change of pace but he was worried about Jinwoo.

Jinwoo, not wanting to hold back Seungyoon, suggested for them to part for a while and broaden their horizon separately. It was saddening for Jinwoo as he grew accustomed to Seungyoon's permanent presence in his life, but he also didn't want to be a burden to Seungyoon if he joins them. Despite Seungyoon's reluctance, Jinwoo headed to the Artic coast of Alaska and took interest in living with eskimos while Seungyoon flew to Southeast Asia and explore its rainforests.

They adapted well and they enjoyed what they were doing. But it only took them six months before they ran back to each other like their lives depended on one another. It was true that absence makes the heart grow fonder because when they finally met again, they crossed a line they couldn't turn back from.

They both have people they would always love and hold dearly for the rest of their lives, names that they would still utter silently when they woke up in the middle of the night from a wonderful yet sad dream. But the other would always kiss the longing away, providing peace and comfort. It would have been a miserable sad life if they hadn't met but they naturally co-exist now as if to give each other purpose, nothing to hide and everything to give.

They travelled more, settling in one country for 2-3 years then move again. Forged their documents to change their identities a few times to avoid suspicion about their timeless appearance. But they are happy caring for each other. They are happy living this life together.

Until they no longer notice how many years have passed. Until they finally feel at peace in returning to where they started. After 64 years.

"Wow! It doesn't look like it was unoccupied for a very long time." Seungyoon marvels as he skim his fingers on the furnitures of Jinwoo's old house.

Back then, Jinwoo's house is considered state of the art, modern and ecologically sustainable. But now, it looks ancient. Jinwoo notices some slight changes, probably renovated to strengthen the whole structure, but the design and layout remains the same.

The house is just covered by thin layers of dust with no signs of decay and the plants outside didn't overgrow much. "It looks like Mino has been staying here and maintaining the place."

Jinwoo looks at Seungyoon, waiting for his reaction on his words. But Seungyoon just shrugs and jokes, "He probably thought he's the king of this place when you were gone, hyung."

Jinwoo just pecks on the tip of Seungyoon's nose and smiles warmly to him. Seungyoon smiles back appreciating the thought Jinwoo's eyes are conveying.

After settling down, Jinwoo sits on his bed next to Seungyoon, the painting above their heads glowing warmly as ever.

Seungyoon is typing on his laptop. "Hyung, I've received a reply from the nursing home. They said they are glad to accept my proposal on featuring the elders on my upcoming exhibit."

After lying low on the photography field for a few decades, Seungyoon decided to make a name for himself in this era. He is confident with the experience he has accumulated and techniques he has learned that his images won't be compared to this past works at all. And he is quite famous nowadays, people are praising and patronizing his exhibits.

"Really? That's a wonderful news." Jinwoo gives Seungyoon a one-armed hug and plants a kiss on his temple.

"They said the elders unanimously gave their consent and are excited to share their stories through their portraits." Seungyoon beams proudly.

"I really think your concept is a great idea. Growing old until you're all wrinkled and forgetful is something that everyone fears yet not everyone achieves." Jinwoo says thoughtfully.

Jinwoo stopped imagining himself growing old when Mino granted his wish. But there was a delusional part of him that gave in to imagining about it when he was with Seunghoon. But of course, all those imagining was useless. All he should be focusing now is spending the eternity with Seungyoon.

 

The next day, they travel for 6 six hours by land to reach the nursing home located on a mountainside in a province.

The place is surrounded by trees which helps to keep out the pollution. The facility itself looks like a very big vacation house, wooden and homey.

They are welcomed by a staff. Jinwoo helps Seungyoon carry his equipment inside the facility.

"I'm Son Yebin. Thank you so much for choosing us. It's great to have a new activity for the elders once in a while." The woman dressed in patterned scrub says, long hair in ponytail and a pair of prescription glasses perched on her nose. She looks like she's on her early thirties.

"The pleasure is ours. I'm Kang Seungyoon, I am the photographer. And this is Kim Jinwoo, my partner.  He'll conduct short interviews so we will know how to convey their stories in their portraits."

They shake hands as they exchange pleasantries.

"I won't set up a particular studio, I'd like their backgrounds to be the place where they normally stay." Seungyoon informs the staff. "I want to capture them on their natural state."

Yebin nods. "We can make it look like they are just having their afternoon teas. But I'm warning you, they are really excited to see new and young faces so they will be very noisy and full of energy."

Seungyoon and Jinwoo finds the group of seniors in the garden, huddling happily and looking their best. Both of them introduce themselves and bow to them. Then they start on their work as they interact with them.

"Ah, it must be great to be so young." A male elder expresses.

"Wow! You two are so breathtakingly beautiful!" An elderly lady exclaims. "You should be in front of the lens, not behind."

All the other elders seem to agree and Jinwoo and Seungyoon just exchange looks and laughs at each other.

"Are you still single? Do you mind if I arrange you to meet with my granddaughter?"

"I'm sorry, Ma'am. I'm very much taken." Jinwoo politely declines.

"My gosh! Your eyesight has really gone bad now, Su-im! Can't you see that they are together?"

A camera flash.

"Perfect!" Seungyoon compliments as he takes shot after shot of everyone, sneaking a few shots of Jinwoo showing his dimpled bright smile.

Seungyoon and Jinwoo is almost done. All the elders are cheerful and still full of life despite having difficulty in moving and walking. The two of them are having a lot of fun interacting with them and knowing their stories.

"The elders here have different varying stories, of struggles, happiness and learning lessons." Jinwoo confides to Seungyoon as they browse through the pictures Seungyoon had taken. "They are spending their old age here because either their family can't or don't want to take care of them, they outlived their loved ones, or they don't want to be a burden to their remaining family members. But they find solace in each other and they became a source of strength for each other.

"Funny how they are just like us but unlike them, we can't see the end of this." Jinwoo adds quietly.

Seungyoon intertwines their hands. "Are you tired already?"

Jinwoo understands that Seungyoon's question isn't just referring to his physical state at the moment. But he shakes his head and leans on Seungyoon's shoulder. "You're still here with me. You give me strength."

Jinwoo has already lost a lot, family, friends and a lover. But as long as he has Seungyoon, he knows he still has a reason to live.

Yebin approaches them and asks "How was it?"

"Amazing!" Seungyoon interjects. He has no other words to express how delighted he is towards the elders.

"Uhm... Yebin?" Jinwoo calls and asks out of curiosity, "Who among them is the oldest one here?"

"Oh, if you mean from the ones who participated, it's Lady Su-im. She's 85. But the eldest of them all is old Lee, he's 92 and quite frail now. He has just woken up from his afternoon nap that's why he couldn't participate."

Jinwoo doesn't know why but his heart suddenly constricts and his breathing quickens at the mention of 'old Lee'.

"I don't think he'll mind if you will also include him." Yebin continues.

"Are you sure? You said he's already quite frail." Seungyoon worries.

"Actually, he was one of those who felt really excited about this project so I think he's going to be sad if he learns he was excluded."

Jinwoo breaks in cold sweat. He's having a hard time gulping the lump in his throat.

"I can guarantee you that he's sweet and charming, the gentlest and most cheerful elder here." Yebin declares as she leads them to a quieter part of the garden.

Jinwoo's hand tightly wraps itself on Seungyoon’s which makes Seungyoon give Jinwoo a puzzled look.

"He outlived his wife and had no children to take care of him, so one day he just showed up here and admitted himself." Yebin smiles sadly. "The doctors kept saying he doesn't have much time left for the last four years but he just kept exceeding their expectation. He said he can't leave yet because he's still waiting for someone."

Jinwoo doesn’t know why his heart is thumping hard and painfully in his chest.

They stop walking several steps from an elder who is on a wheelchair. With how much his body is hunched, it's evident that he is tall during his prime years.

"I'm going to leave you here with him. Please, do this for him." She pleads then walks away.

"Hyung..." Seungyoon whispers as he tries to support Jinwoo's shaking body. He understands what's happening and it pains him to see Jinwoo again acting like this. "You don't have to."

But Jinwoo takes a dragging step toward the elder. One slow and heavy step after another until he's in front of him.

The elder looks up to him with squinted eyes. And Jinwoo just wants to die right there and then. Despite the lines and some blothches caused by aging, Jinwoo will never forget the face he kept looking for in the crowd in the last 64 years, especially his eyes.

Jinwoo's legs give away. He falls down to his knees looking at the only man he ever loved with his whole being. "Seunghoon."

Seunghoon smiles, the same affectionate smile he gives to Jinwoo before. "Jinwoo, love."