SEUNGHOON

Youth Over Flower

"I don't know what Madam Park sees in him. He looks ordinary." A woman in floor-length black satin dress with white fur shawl whispers to the woman on Jinwoo's right. He thinks she's trying so hard to show off her wealth with the amount of gold accessories she's wearing.

"We don't know what he hides under that suit." The woman next to Jinwoo whispers back with a giggle.

"I heard he is a pre-school teacher when Madam Park discovered him. He helped Madam Park's youngest daughter learn how to ride a bicycle." The girl on Jinwoo's left adds.

"I'm a bit hurt that you talk about another man while I'm here." Jinwoo teases the ladies, trying to sound hurt without meaning it.

The three of them give Jinwoo a guilty look.

"Ah, don't worry Jinwoo, he's nothing compared to you." The girl on his left says as she presses her hand lightly on his arm. Jinwoo doesn't miss the flirtatious look she's giving him.

"You know how it works, he's a newbie so everyone is talking about him." The woman with so much gold says, not sorry at all that they were called out gossiping about a guy who is a complete stranger to them.

It's weird how these people from prominent families feel threatened towards someone insignificant. But then again, those who are insignificant but completely ambitious are the scariest ones.

"Excuse me, ladies," Eric interrupts them.

Eric is one of the most charming people Jinwoo has known in this decade. He's eloquent, funny and charismatic. And ladies can never resist his bright smile.

"Madam Park is calling for Jinwoo. So, sorry I'm not sorry that you will be left with me tonight." This draws out a boisterous laugh from the three ladies accompanying Jinwoo. Eric winks at Jinwoo as he takes the ladies' undivided attention.

Jinwoo smiles politely and mouths his thanks. He feels relieved that Madam Park remembers him. She is someone he can't lose, her fondness of him has always been convenient to him.

He walks toward the direction where a lot more people are clustered together, circling the elegant Madam Park whose right arm hooked to the man people has been talking about. When they have passed through the crowd, Jinwoo gently takes Madam Park's free hand and tug her to him, twirling her in the process.

Madam Park is a widow on her late thirties, who has penchant for younger and handsome men. At first, Jinwoo thought she's predatory, but later on found out she just likes mentoring people to succeed at a young age. With head always held high, she is a symbol of a very capable and powerful woman.

Madam Park chuckles when she realizes it is Jinwoo that takes her away from her current . "Jinwoo!"

Jinwoo brings out his thousand-watt smile, "I almost sulk because I thought you forgot about me."

"You? Of all people?" She shakes her head and returns Jinwoo's smile.

Jinwoo has always wondered why Mino never added this woman to his collection. She is clearly another work of art, from her big eyes and plump lips to her amazing figure. Understandably though, Madam Park is already satisfied with her life. He doesn't think Mino has anything else to offer to her that she doesn't have yet. And the advanced technology has been doing amazing job at maintaining her youthful look for her.

"By the way, I want to introduce you to someone." She says and turns to the talk of the town. "Seunghoonie." she calls.

The man just stayed close even when Jinwoo stole Madam Park from him earlier. Just one step forward and he is now taking up Jinwoo's view and a bit of his personal space. He is tall and lean and his hair is bleached white. He's dressed in a red pinstripe suit with red trutleneck inside and a thin belt around his waist. His ensembles hug his body perfectly, giving emphasis to his broad shoulder, narrow hips and long slender legs. He smells nice, too.

The ladies were right, his facial features look ordinary except for his intense sharp eyes. But his body is definitely to die for. He wonders how many times he had used it to get where he is now.

"Jinwoo, this is Lee Seunghoon. He's Seoyeon's teacher in daycare. Seunghoon, this is Kim Jinwoo, my self-adopted baby brother." She smiles and Jinwoo senses something in the way she smiles but can't pinpoint.

Seunghoon and Jinwoo shakes hand but Jinwoo has to withdraw immediately due to the light electrical shock he feels. He stares at his hand in surprise.

"Oh, is that spark I see there?" Madam Park teases.

"It's static current," Seunghoon says matter-of-factly.

Madam Park stares at him blankly which causes him to hurriedly rake his brain for explanation. "You know, when an atom has an unbalanced number of electrons and protons, the electrons move quickly towards the protons."

"I don't understand it." Madam Park laughs, "But isn't he smart, Jinwoo?"

Seunghoon blushes but Jinwoo is unimpressed. He doesn't like encountering smart people, they easily catch up on Jinwoo's secrets and intentions. He likes them dumb and blind.

Seunghoon clears his throat. "It's very nice to meet you."

Jinwoo flashes him his signature yet practiced smile, showing off his dimple. "Likewise."

"I remember I promised Yedam I will introduce him to a girl he's secretly harboring a crush on. I will leave Seunghoon to you, Jinwoo." Madam Park says which surprises Jinwoo.

She reaches for Seunghoon's right cheek and Jinwoo's left and taps it lightly. "Please, enjoy the party and get along well. I'll see you later."

Just like that he has been dismissed. It doesn't sit well with Jinwoo. He doesn't like being set aside.

Jinwoo sighs when Madam Park walks away. He doesn't think he has anymore role to play tonight.

He thinks the room is getting too crowded and he's no longer in the mood to entertain people's interest in him so he decides to go to a secluded veranda. He grabs a glass of champagne while on his way. If not for the reflection he sees on the window, he won't be aware that Seunghoon is actually following him.

Jinwoo turns to Seunghoon. "Are you following me?"

Seunghoon blinks. "Uhm... Madam Park--"

Jinwoo cuts him off. "You will really do as she said? Or is it really Madam Park?" Jinwoo challenges, trying to catch Seunghoon if he's planning to flirt with him.

"I don't know anyone here." Seunghoon grins sheepishly.

"You do realize Madam Park spent two hours introducing you to everyone." Jinwoo counters. "Is that pointless after all?"

"She seems to only trust you though." Seunghoon scratches his nape.

He isn't sure why Madam Park tasked him to babysit this grown up man but, okay, he can play this game.

Jinwoo his lips. He hands his glass of champagne to Seunghoon then reaches to Seunghoon's left shoulder and right waist, he feels the man stiffen. "Can you please stand straighter? Chin up." Jinwoo then lifts his chin. "You're ruining your expensive tailored suit with that demeanor of yours. Looking shy and awkward doesn't suit you."

Jinwoo turns around and starts walking again. He grabs another glass of champagne from a server and heads to the veranda, Seunghoon still on his trail.

"What suits me then?" Seunghoon asks all of a sudden when they got out of the ball room and into the veranda. The cold and fresh breeze of air welcomes them.

Jinwoo gives him a puzzled look.

"You said looking shy and awkward doesn't suit me." He repeats. "What suits me then?" There's a small smile on his lips. Seunghoon lifts the glass to his lip and takes one sip, his adam's apple bobbing in the process.

Jinwoo thinks Seunghoon is a confident man behind his unsure stance earlier. And in Jinwoo's standard, he is gorgeous. Those dark eyes have the same intensity as Mino's but while Mino's eyes you in and strip you off of everything, Seunghoon's draw you in and show you the multi-faceted universe of human's emotion.

But Jinwoo doesn't say that. He senses Seunghoon will start flirting with him if he does, so he decides to use his business tone to draw a line. He is not interested to a parasite leeching off from another parasite. The latter parasite being Jinwoo.

"Madam Park brought you here because she probably saw something in you." Jinwoo shrugs and changes the topic. "If you aren't aware yet, she likes working on charity cases. She probably thinks you can do better than taking care of children in a daycare."

"Ah, yeah... she mentioned about modelling or something." He says as he lowers his head and scratches his nape. He doesn't sound boastful though. He sounds like he just remembered a conversation he had.

His attitude on the topic bewilders Jinwoo. It's like he's not interested at all.

Seunghoon leans forward on the balustrade and Jinwoo's eyes follow him. They are silent for a moment, Seunghoon is deep in his thoughts.

"Do you think she will be offended if I decline?" Seunghoon asks to break the silence.

His question surprises Jinwoo. "You will what?"

"Honestly, I became a pre-school teacher because I like it." Seunghoon gazes at the sky.

"I like playing with kids. I like making them laugh. I like it when they learn to do something new with my help. I enjoy being surrounded by their mischievousness." He chuckles lightly.

"And most importantly, I like learning lessons from their innocent minds and hearts.” Jinwoo isn't sure if Seunghoon's eyes are reflecting the stars or he has his own stars in his eyes as it glitters weakly.

Seunghoon turns and continues, “I majored in children behavior and psychology, by the way."

He leans backward with his elbows perched on the balustrade. Eyes pointedly looking at the party inside. "I feel out of place here. Or rather, I know my place and it isn't here."

Jinwoo wants to laugh at the incredulity of what Seunghoon is saying. 'Is he for real?' He thinks.

Madam Park granted Seunghoon an access to this society that many people covet. He is introduced to prominent people with powerful connections. But Seunghoon doesn't seem to like it.

"You're only saying that now. But once you got a taste of fame and money, you'll change your mind." Jinwoo says then takes a sip of his own champagne.

Seunghoon shakes his head. "That's why I don't want to get use to this." He shifts to face Jinwoo and stares directly to his eyes. "I know once I achieve something, just like everybody else, I will start to ask for more. I will become greedy. I don't want to turn myself into someone I won't be able to recognize as myself later on. I don't want to end up a monster."

It stops Jinwoo from drinking, holding his glass tighter.

Seunghoon's words irk Jinwoo. It resonates inside him and twists in an offending way. Seunghoon speaks and acts like he is a saint and Jinwoo realizes he dislike him. He detests his good intention. He despises his untarnish soul. He hates it that Seunghoon proves all of Jinwoo's prejudices wrong.

Kim Jinwoo decides he hates everything about Lee Seunghoon because he envies him. Seunghoon reminds him of his past self that he failed to protect and lost. But Seunghoon is a better version because he is firm and he has conviction.

"I think I know now why Madam Park left you to me. But if you're really decided about declining, I won't try to change your mind." Jinwoo says in a stern tone. "I will tell her for you."

Jinwoo starts to walk away but Seunghoon grabs his wrist. His hands warm and clammy.

"No," he says. "I'll tell her myself." He looks nervous. "I just want to confirm that I will not gain her wrath if I decline. I... I don't want to end up floating in the river just because----"

Jinwoo shakes off his hand forcefully, "Stop stereotyping that all rich people are evil, Lee Seunghoon. Not all of us are murderers. People like Madam Park doesn't deserve this."

Seunghoon whispers, "I’m sorry, I was only kidding at that last part."

"What?"

"I thought I hit a nerve," Seunghoon says defensively. "So I tried to joke but I guess I'm not funny tonight."

"Yeah, you're not funny." Jinwoo says. "I hope not to cross path with you again, Mr. Lee."

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


 

"Such a waste." Madam Park says sullenly besides Jinwoo on the back seat of her car as she looks at Seunghoon playing tag with kids. "Look at those biceps when he's lifting those kids! Ugh!" She's shaking her head. "That body should be grazing magazines all over the world and dominating catwalks." Madam Park does an exaggerated fake weep.

"But he says that world isn't for him." Jinwoo reminds her without looking at the subject of their conversation.

"I know, but still." Madam Park sighs, pretending to wipe tears with her handkerchief.

Jinwoo can clearly see how hard it is for Madam Park to let go of Seunghoon and the golden opportunities she has for him. But this only heightened his annoyance towards the man. She has been talking about Seunghoon whenever they meet. He thinks his ears will fall off anytime now. She has been talking about his excellent body proportions a lot that he even dreamed about him one night.

"Jinwoo-ya, can you get Seoyeonie for me?"

Jinwoo is caught off guard by her request.

"She's expecting you since I told her we're going to have dinner together. She will be very delighted to see you." Madam Park says.

Madam Park can easily afford private nannies and private education for her children, she's a doting adoptive mother. But she still prefers to enroll them on daycare as she believes it helps them be considerate of others at a young age, teach them meaning of authority and rules through the teachers, and expose them to experiences that can't be encountered within the four corners of their home.

"Sure, noona." Jinwoo nods. He tries to hide his annoyance, he can't bring himself to tell the woman how much he is irritated by that man because he doesn't want to disappoint her. He isn’t ready to show his true color to her.

Jinwoo gets out of the car, dusts off his light blue blazer and fix his jet black hair into his typical slightly messy style. He starts walking with his usual graceful manner. The people he passes by and walks along with can't help but to automatically turn their heads and gawk at him.

Jinwoo is very much aware of his effect on people. One smile from him and he can make them say yes to whatever he asks for. Just one meeting behind closed doors can make them offer the world to him.

Jinwoo stands at the gate of the daycare, at the back of all the parents waiting for their children. He sees Seunghoon along with another teacher sending the children off. He is wearing a plain white tee with sleeves rolled up, a pair of faded jeans and black sneakers, a green apron strapped on his lean waist and a pink hat on his head hiding his bleached hair. His eyes are almost closing as he smiles to the children, his voice a pitch higher to deliver his cheerful goodbyes.

He is smiling when he talks to a parent about a child's progress in their class. He is smiling when he reports to another parent that he had done all the things on the checklist they had left. He is still smiling when he bows to apologize to another parent about an unfortunate incident which is clearly the child's fault.

Seoyeon goes out of the door and immediately spots Jinwoo. "Oppa!" She shrills.

She runs pass Seunghoon without looking at him and Jinwoo has to crouch down so he can catch her when she jumps into his arms. The little girl hugs him tight.

Seoyeon pulls away suddenly and tugs Jinwoo's hand. "Teacher Seunghoon!" she calls as she leads Jinwoo to Seunghoon.

Jinwoo's and Seunghoon's eyes meet and Seunghoon's smile grows wider.

"I told you, my prince will be coming for me." Seoyeon says. "I'm going to marry him when I grow up."

Seunghoon breaks his eye contact with Jinwoo to look at Seoyeon. He reaches for her hair and tousles it. "Yeah, yeah. I never said I didn't believe you."

Seoyeon smiles proudly to her teacher. "Isn't he handsome?"

"Yes, he is."

"He also has a beautiful voice!"

"Really?" Seunghoon looks back at Jinwoo.

Jinwoo just maintains his straight face.

"He's always kind to me. He gives me lots of gifts." Seoyeon adds.

"Wow! He is a great catch, Seoyeon."

Jinwoo doesn't know what to make out of this conversation between the two.

"That's why my dream is to be a princess and marry him." Seoyeon continues.

Seunghoon chuckles. "That's really cute of you."

"Seoyeon," Jinwoo steals the littel girl's attention. "Your mother is waiting for us in the car. We have to go now." Jinwoo lifts her in his arms.

"Okay." She answers and bids Seunghoon goodbye. Jinwoo turns to leave.

"It's nice to see you again, Mr. Kim. Have a great night." He hears Seunghoon says a little bit too energetically.

'Is he making fun of me?' Jinwoo doesn't look back.

Seoyeon rests her chin on Jinwoo's shoulder as he starts walking away. She is waving to Seunghoon behind Jinwoo's back.

"You know, teacher Seunghoon is my favorite because he taught me how to ride bicycle, he likes playing with us, he braids my hair, he feeds me apple and he always makes us laugh. Do you not like him?" Seoyeon sounds sad. "Do I have to stop liking him, too?"

"No, baby girl." Jinwoo answers back, brushing his finger on her cheek. "You can like him. Who knows? Maybe you change your mind later on and decides you want to marry him instead of me."

"No!" Seoyeon pulls back and looks at Jinwoo. "You're mine."

Jinwoo chuckles at the absurdity of a little girl's heart. But if there is someone who will take care of Seoyeon once she becomes a full-grown woman, maybe someone husband-material like Lee Seunghoon isn't bad at all.

Oh, scratch that.

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


 

Jinwoo is having his makeup done when Madam Park sits on the chair next to his.

"Jinwoo-ya, thank you for doing this." She smiles gratefully. "I really want that BLNK clothing line to shut down because they insulted me. I know I'm old but I want to prove them I still know what's in and out when it comes to fashion."

Madam Park is a good-natured person but she doesn't like being insulted. When people say she can't do it, she will prove them she can. And Jinwoo really admires her for that. That is the kind of power he wishes he had when he was younger.

She decided to create her own clothing line and asked Jinwoo and another man to be its very first promotional model. A couple of pictures won't do harm to his secret as he just recently re-introduced himself in this society after staying overseas for 30 years.

"Don't worry, Jinwoo, I will compensate you well." Madam Park continues. "Do you want me to get rid of the problematic corns? I heard you're allergic to it."

Jinwoo chortles. "No, that isn't necessary, noona."

It isn't really an allergy. During his first life, due to poverty, his family only had corns from their farm to eat every day. Jinwoo doesn't want to remember that part of his life, so he started avoiding it when he started his second life.

Besides, he can't really tell Madam Park that the one he is after is a commander in the army. The only son of Kim Gura, one of the men who violated him. Jinwoo wasn't able to exact his revenge to Gura, so he'd like to do it on his son who mainly benefitted from his father's influence and wrongdoings.

The door to the dressing room opens and a handful of people enters making the room a little noisy. One person openly stares at Jinwoo through the mirror.

Jinwoo feels a pinprick on his nape so he meets Seunghoon's eyes. Neither Jinwoo nor Seunghoon smiles to acknowledge the presence of each other. Jinwoo maintains the neutral expression on his face while Seunghoon looks like he has seen an angel.

Madam Park stands to welcome Seunghoon, which causes Seunghoon to break their eye contact. She hugs him as she thanks him for doing this favor. Seunghoon smiles at her warmly while scratching his nape. "I just want to repay your kindness, noona."

Jinwoo's mood suddenly turns sour. He wants to get rid of that smile.

Madam Park leaves them afterwards so they can prepare properly and she can greet the other staffs.

Silence settles inside the dressing room as the makeup artists and hairstylists work their wonders on them. It seems like the rest of the people feels the tension between two men.

Jinwoo is the first one to stand to change his clothes. He is listening to the stylist's instruction when Seunghoon stands beside him, announcing he's also ready to change clothes.

Jinwoo is very confident about his body. When Mino granted his wish, he was very thorough about it. He made sure Jinwoo has no flaw from the top of his head to the tip of his toenails.

So confident that he doesn't mind taking off his shirt in front of these people so he can wear his outfit. He sees Seunghoon blushes and looks away from him.

The stylist helps Jinwoo tie the elaborate cord on the shirt's design, making it hug his thin waist.

Beside him, Seunghoon also starts taking off his tee, revealing well-defined muscles. Jinwoo isn't faze at all and openly checks him out as the stylist decides whether a belt or a sash will go well with his pants.

Their eyes meet and Jinwoo feels like declaring a war. 'God, I hate you so much!' Jinwoo screams internally.

"Okay, you're all set." The stylist declares after Jinwoo puts on a blazer one-size bigger for him. He looks at himself in the mirror, aware about Seunghoon's eyes on him.

"Thank you for your excellent work." Jinwoo smiles sweetly to the staffs and bows. "I'll go ahead."

Jinwoo exits the room, feet slightly stomping. Something feels funny in his stomach.

The director informed Jinwoo that it's a joint photoshoot. A detail that Madam Park failed to mention to him.

Jinwoo tries to calm himself. And he wants to kick himself because this is the first time he has difficulty in doing so. He knows. He exactly knows the reason but he just can't wrap his head around it.

"Sir, this is my first time doing this." Seunghoon says politely to the photographer and director as he shakes their hands. "Please feel free to point out if I'm lacking or doing something wrong."

Jinwoo's annoyance boils again as he hears Seunghoon's voice. 'I thought you're not interested in this world, why did you agree to do this all of a sudden?' He rolls his eyes then sighs heavily before he walks towards Seunghoon, who is now standing awkwardly in front of the camera.

"Okay, we're starting." The director announces.

"I thought I told you looking shy and awkward doesn't suit you." Jinwoo whispers as he stands next to Seunghoon.

"Ah... yeah." Seunghoon straightens his back and offers a small smile to Jinwoo. "Help me, please."

"I'm not an expert as well." Jinwoo says as he looks at the camera. "Just look as confident as you are when you're in front of your students."

The camera flashes. One. Two. Three.

The director instructed them to stand closer when Seunghoon whispers, "Have you been... observing me?"

Jinwoo wants to laugh right there and then.

Has he been observing him?! It's not like he wanted to. Madam Park kept asking Jinwoo to pick up Seoyeon from the daycare recently. And Seunghoon was always persistent to start a conversation every time, smiles never wavering. Persistent but not entirely intrusive.

He usually arrive on time the first few times. But once, he was 10 minutes early. That 10 minutes turned to 20. Then to 30 minutes. And he just became aware of it when he was one-hour early and looking forward to that brief interaction as he watched Seunghoon happily doing his job from inside his car.

Jinwoo rests his forearm on Seunghoon's shoulder which makes Seunghoon glance at him with some sort of surprised expression. Jinwoo looks at him straight in the eyes.

'What's so good about you?’

The camera flashes again. One. Two. Three.

Jinwoo places his pointed forefinger on his bottom lip. Seunghoon's eyes zero in on the tip of Jinwoo's finger. Jinwoo looks at the camera.

'Why are you appearing in my dreams?'

Flash.

Jinwoo turns his back to Seunghoon's side and slightly leans on his arm. Jinwoo feels Seunghoon's arm move as if to support him but Jinwoo says, "Don't."

'Why are you occupying my thoughts?'

Flash.

Seunghoon slightly shifts so Jinwoo is slightly leaning on his left chest.

'Why do I think of you when I look at that sunflower painting?'

Flash.

Then Seunghoon hangs his arms on Jinwoo's shoulder.

"Why did you agree to do this?" Jinwoo murmurs while looking straight to the camera.

Flash.

Jinwoo rests his head.

"For a chance to see you more."

Kim Jinwoo has a lot of reasons for hating Lee Seunghoon and one of them is for pestering his mind like a bug.

Later that night, Jinwoo gathers all his provocative confidence to seduce Seunghoon into sleeping with him. He needs to know the answers to his questions. He's desperate to get a taste of him.

But the night ends with Jinwoo alone in his room. Frustrated and humiliated. Seunghoon's words haunting him.

"I don't sleep with just anyone, Jinwoo. You're very delectable right now but it's your heart that I want. Let's date instead."