01

Paradise

 

"How's it going JiHae?" Ukwon and his friends sat next to you as you peered into the big screen, reading he information pluged in.
 
"There are going to be 20 deaths today," You said as you spinned your chair so that you'd be facing Ukwon and the rest, "It's twice as much as last week. We're going to be pretty busy this week." You sighed as you leaned back into your chair and stared up at the ceiling.
 
"Dang! How much is that going to be in a week? This is probably a world record!" PO exclaimed as his eyes bulged out looking at the screen, trying to see if he had read it wrong.
 
"And look here. This person has been on this list for the last 2 years, but all the people who tried to get him up here failed and died because they fell in... 'love' with him." You quoted with your hands and put a disgusted look on your face.
 
"Who would like that sleazy, alcoholic freak anyways? What's his name?" you looked around the screen to find his name, "Oh, DaeHyun." You went back to slouching and waited for the rest to reply or say something so it wouldn't be just you doing all he talking.
 
"Well... I guess they like the bad boy gangster aura around him? I don't know. But I can't see anything in him either." Zico said as he let his eyes roam around the dim lit room, checking to see if there was anyone coming because he heard footsteps. 
 
"So... When's the next death?" Ukwon glanced at the screen and back at you.
 
"Uhm... Its in about an hour. We should get going now." You got up and BlockB followed as you all got to the gate that led out of the so-called Paradise to Earth where the reckless humans struggle to fit in and survive but they always have one fate, death.
 
"Well, are you ready?" You said as you looked at each person and told them where and when the person they had to pick up was going to die and flew off into the atmosphere of the Earth. 
 
You always loved to fly because it made you feel all free and you can lose all of your worries and thoughts with the wind gliding past you as you zoomed across the sky. 
 
"Okay. We should spread out now. Meet you guys at the gate!" You yelled to the others as they started going their own ways. 
 
The person you had to pick up was a boy named L.Joe who lives in Seoul, South Korea. 18 years of age. 
 
He is suppose to die by getting hit by a bus after chasing a girl. *What an idiot* You thought as you looked at the beaming lights of the city. There wasn't much traffic today.
 
You tried to search for him because he was supposed to die in 30 minutes. Then, you spotted L.Joe with his blonde hair in front of this girl with his "crew". I can tell by the look on his face that he got rejected. 
 
You landed on the ground next to him and saw the girl that just rejected him. Your eyes nearly popped out of your eyes as you saw who the girl was. It was SoHyun.
 
She was your friend. Your only friend on Earth when you were alive. You risked your life for her. She just walked away as you just stood there with this L.Joe dude and his crew. 
 
When he started to move and run, that is when you started to get out of your trance. You wiped off your tears and followed L.Joe and SoHyun for about 25 minutes. 
 
She finally said yes. *Awww... Too bad he's going to die in 2 minutes.. I'm sorry SoHyun-ah. Two people you loved died beside you....* You slowly walked behind them as they crossed the crosswalk, laughing and hugging. 
 
You sighed as you made the final countdown. 5, 4, 3, 2, and 1. The drunk driver hit L.Joe wit his truck and he went flying. *Oh how I hate drunk drivers.* You growled and slowly made your way to L.Joe's body. 
 
You hated this part of being a Messenger. The blood. Oh how you hated drunk drivers. That's the reason you died so you hated them more. 
 
L.Joe's soul slowly stood up as if he had just woken up really early in the morning. 
 
"Hello. My name is Yoon JiHae. I am here to take you." 
 
"Wait... What? Where am I?" He franically looked around. He saw SoHyun but she was bawling over a similiar body, so he went to look at what she was crying about and he couldn't believe his eyes. 
 
It was him. "Come on. We should be going soon." 
 
"Am I... Dead?" He stared helplessly at you gave him a sorrowful smile. 
 
"Yes. I'm sorry. It might be hard to comprehend, but you'll get used to the fact your dead. I can tell you really loved her." 
 
All L.Joe did was stare at his girlfriend crying over his body, but it felt like if it wasn't even him anymore. 
 
"You have 2 choices. One, you go up to Heaven or Hell and live the rest of your life there. Second, you can go to school to learn how to become a Messenger like me, but if you fail the test, which most people do, you automatically have to choose choice one. Only 1 person can become a Messenger every year." You said as you stared at your watch on your wrist. It was almost time to meet the boys at the gate. 
 
"I'll give you time, but I can only give you 5 minutes which wold be the ride to the gate. Most people enjoy the ride and choose now." you said as you spread your wings outwards. 
 
"I'll choose the second one..." L.Joe said as he still looked at his weeping girlfriend. 
 
"Okay then. Let's go." You took his hand and flew off into the clouds enjoying the night air as you spinned and twirled until you got to the gate. 
 
Once L.Joe got on the floor in front of the gate, he had his hair was all messed up and you could tell he was surprised at the size of the gate that seemed to tower over him because it was really big and he was pretty short. 
 
Everyone arrived soon after and the gate slowly opened. To the humans, Paradise was so different and it was jaw dropping but you and BlockB just walked past, not giving them time to look at Paradise because they were late enough already. 
 
"Here is Mr. Kang, not the person you want to mess with. He is the head of Paradise and he is really scary, to me at least. He will teach you everything about becoming a Messenger. Good Luck." You said to all the 20 people and patted L.Joe's back. 
 
"Thanks...." L.Joe forced a smile and sulked into the room as the door closed behind them. 
 
"That was a long day!" Kyung exclaimed as we all collapsed onto the chairs in our office. 
 
"Tell me about it. I had to get 3 girls up there and they were all whining and crying telling me that they were staying there. Tell me about being stubborn." Taeil said as he nearly looked like he was sleeping on the chair. 
 
"Good job you guys..." You thoughts wandered off somewhere else as you found yourself lost in dreamland until Ukwon taped your shoulder. 
 
"Are you okay?" He asked and looked at me with worry as if he saw a wounded puppy on the street.
 
"Ya. Just a bit tired." You said as you straightened out your back and tried to focus on the conversation. 
 
"Okay guys, I think we should go to sleep now. I'm tired..." Zico yawned and crawled into one of the beds in the back of the room. 
 
After that everyone followed including you. It didn't take much effort to go to sleep and you found yourself in deep sleep as soon as you laid your head on the pillow. 
 
Ukwon looked at your face and smiled. He tucked in your blanket for you and studied your face. He did this every night and he always founded new scratches and brusies on your face that made him frown.
 
"Good night." he whispered and kissed your cheek before heading off to dreamland himself.
 
----
 
The next morning you woke up to sunshine beamig on your face and to find all the other already awake like always. 
 
"How was your sleep?" Ukwon asked as you slowly got out of bed and looked at your morning self in the mirror. 
 
You got ready and dressed and was about to head out the door when someone opened it for you. 
 
It was Mr. Kang's assistant. *Oh boy* you thought as you just stood there like an idiot staring at the guy.
 
"Mr. Kang wants to see you JiHae." The man said as he moved away from the threshold to make room for you to get out and follow him. 
 
You turned back and looked at the guys with a "help me" expression, but all they could did was stand there and tell you that it was going to be okay.
 
You hoped so and slowly followed the man to your worst nightmare.
--------
 
I hope you like the first chapter!
 
I tried to make it long....
 
Subscribing and comments are appreciated! :)