Listen To My Heart

Attention
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

They listened as Mrs. Bae's footsteps recede farther away from the door. When they were sure that they were safe, Irene unceremoniously fell on the bed just right next to Seulgi's sitting form.


With uncertainty, monolid eyes travelled to the older's to study her expression. Irene's eyes were closed yet there was a small frown on her face.


"Hey," Seulgi murmured, poking the older on her arm. "Are you okay?"


Irene's eyes snapped open and looked at her, "Why are you asking me that?"


"Because clearly, you look distressed."


Running a hand on her face, Irene sat down and faced her again. The frown more was more evident as her brows furrowed more.


"I just didn't expect them to be here at this hour. I thought they were still-"


Seulgi shrugged to cut her off, her face shifting to one of indifference. "It's okay. We can wait them out or something. I don't mind hanging out here for a bit."


She tried to smile to assure her that it was really okay but upon seeing her reflective behavior, Irene's eyes shifted. 


"Are we not going out? Don't you want to meet them?"


Seulgi looked at her hands, unsure. "Should I...? Do you want me to?"


"Of course." Irene said, the pause a little too drawn out. The small frown on Irene's lips made Seulgi chew her own.


Oh.


The bitter taste that was starting to form on her tongue made her look away and on to the tiffany ring on her finger.


She knew where she was but why was she feeling lost?


Should she or should she not?


Does Irene want to or did she say something wrong?


From time to time, there are contradictions in actions and words from Irene that Seulgi couldn't decipher if she meant the other thing or not.


She means one thing but portrays another.


And Seulgi couldn't read them and she fear that she was about to choose the wrong option.


Sometimes, Seulgi couldn't help but dou-


No, she told herself. Stop it right there, Seulgi.


You're having a good time and the ring on your finger prove her sincerity to you. Why do you still think like that?


She was about to open when Irene held a hand up.


"Wait here." Irene was quick on her foot and reached for her phone. While the other was scrolling through her contacts, Seulgi started to space out.


What should she choose? To meet her parents or to stay inside until they leave?


Will they leave immediately or will they wait until nightfall which will force them to come out?


Come out?


Are they coming out???


Seulgi was about to ask that incase they come out, which of the two meanings will they do when when Irene said a name she never thought she'd hear from the older.


"Hey, Chu?"


She snapped her eyes towards Irene's back and listened attentively. Her ears strained to hear every word.


"Yes, I know. I know, don't worry about it. They won't know. Anyway, I need another favor to ask- Yes. Goddamn. Don't you have your own-"


"Rene?" Seulgi only whispered her name yet Irene seemed to hear her despite her continuous rambling on her phone.


With one hand to cover the mic, Irene mouthed, "Yes?"


"If it is who I think it is, can you put it on loudspeaker?"


It was all an assumption but she knew of no one who uses the name Chu than her Turle Rabbit Kim friend.


Irene seemed to think about it for a moment before she shrugged. "Yah Kim, I'm putting you on loudspeaker. Behave!"


There was a loud snicker and Jisoo's voice rang out. "What do you want, Hyunnie?! I'm in the middle of a game!"


Kim?


Hyunnie?

 

Irene rolled her eyes. "Screw that game, Loser! As I've said, I need-"


There was a loud bang on the other line, making both of them wince. It was like something heavy fell from a high place... Or maybe someone.


"Fuuuuu-" Jisoo hissed and with more shuffling came her low and deep voice. "You killed me!"


"Excuse me?!"


"My winning streak! Yah, Bae Irene if this isn't worth it, I'm telling everyone about that umbrella-"


"Shut up and listen to me!" Irene barked while pacing back and forth.


Seulgi could only tilt her head in confusion.


When did they become so close?


And despite the slightly hostile tones and words, why do they sound... okay?


Biting her lips, she decided to keep mum and listen. She still couldn't grasp the idea of the two bickering light-heartedly as she watch them whisper and mutter incoherently with each other.


Kim Jisoo and Bae Irene?


What's happening?


"Kim Jisoo!"


"Oh, jeez oldie! You didn't need to shout." There were more whispers until the other line went silent. Irene finally stopped pacing and breathed deep.


"As I was saying, I need a favor."


"Huh. It'll cost-"


"I don't care. Message me whatever that is but listen to me first. I don't have much time."


"Why? Are you dying?"


"For the love of your chicken obsession shut the up!"


Jisoo snorted and let out a deep laugh. "Seulgi really did you good, huh?"


Then Kim Jisoo hollered, "WHIPPED!"


Even without being able to see Jisoo, Seulgi knew that her friend was sporting that weird eating grin. She could picture it inside her head so vividly but she hopes that Jisoo will stop annoying Irene. If she'll continue, she fears that Irene's eyeballs might get literally stuck at the back of her head since Seulgi has already lost count on how many times she rolled her eyes in the span of 10 minutes.


Seriously, what's up with these two? What did she miss? 


What happened between calling names and the hostility towards both of them everytime they see each other?


Did Joy miss any gossip and did she forget to share this important detail to Seulgi?


"For the last time, Kim Jisoo!"


"Jeez, oldie! I'm listening! I'm listening."


Releasing a sigh of relief, Irene muttered finally! "Can you tell uncle Kim to call mom or dad? Tell them they're needed somewhere or something."


"Why? Are you home?"


"Yeah, they're here and I'm with Seulgi-"


"Oh?"


There was a slight cough on the other line before it went silent. Then without a warning, Jisoo guffawed on the other line.

 

"Oh! Did they suddenly barge in? Are they there while you're doing-?"


Seulgi watched as the colors on Irene's face drain t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter