A Little Too Much

OMW 2: Fallin All In

YOOA. 

 

"But mom.. I already told you I'll stay at the apartment. Why do you keep siding with dad?" 

 

"You left the house without telling your parents, how am I going to defend you? You're being irresponsible, Shiah. Go back home tomorrow after your class. We'll talk about this." And her mom ended the call. Frustrated, Yooa grabbed her coat from her bed, planning to go out and get some fresh air. 

 

She didn't mean to run away, or maybe she did. She wanted to run away from pressure. She's already in college and she wants to do what she wants now. But that isn't the case, judging by how her parents want her to stay at home. Why did Shiah want to live alone? 

 

Because she hates being controlled by her parents, especially her dad. She spent her whole life being unable to do things according to her will.

 

People might say that she's being rebellious but it's different than that. Shiah knows her dad was always serious and obsessed with pressuring her. She isn't an idiot, she knows it and she feels it. 

 

They wanted her to take medicine and here she is, wandering around the streets near the university of the school that her parents picked for her.

 

As she walked, she saw a few couples passing by. She always wondered what would it feel like to have a companion. She never had even just flings.. it's not like no one tried hanging out with her, it's her choice to ignore them. She knows her parents wouldn't like it. All of her choices depend on her parents, and although she hated it so much, she still obeyed them. She was never confused because she had her parents decide for her.

 

That night was the first time Yooa felt that something will be confusing her for a long time. That moment when she was resting on a bench and a girl, with a very bad taste in fashion, stopped just near her. At first, Yooa thought that the girl just happened to stop but she didn't, Yooa could tell that the girl was staring at her. Interested, Yooa paused the song playing on her phone and sighed before she looked at the girl and she was right, that girl was watching her. 

 

"Why are you staring at me?" Yooa says, making sure her voice was enough to be heard by the other girl. She wanted to chuckle when she saw that girl looking behind her. She looks like a fool, what is she doing?

 

Yooa removed her cap, she wanted to talk to her but the girl just ran away and that was what confused Yooa for the following nights. 

 

That was her first encounter with Mihyun and Yooa knew she's in trouble when she couldn't stop thinking about the girl. She was contemplating whatever this is that she's feeling. She wants to see her again but she knows it will be hard. How would you even find a girl in the big city? So she brushed her off, and she tried. But they happened to meet again, and for whatever reason it is, Mihyun kept appearing every time she's having a hard time, whether it's the school or her family. 

 

"It's Yoo Shi-ah. You can call me Shiah."

 

Those were the words that welcomed Mihyun into Yooa's life. Even if Mihyun doesn't know it, Yooa knows what she did is a big step for her as she clearly sensed that Mihyun would play a big role in her college life. And she really did. During their freshman years, Yooa continued with her life being held by her parents from time to time but she's slowly adjusting and her father soon let her stay in her apartment, as long as she'll join their family's business meetings. Yooa didn't meet Mihyun a lot throughout the year, she thinks it's better.. The girl makes her feel in danger every time her heart flutters when Mihyun smiles at her, especially that moment when Mihyun gave her a coat and comforted her. It wasn't even about 5 times that they met and Yooa is already feeling this way, what more if they kept meeting? So all she did was continue studying. Just before their second year in college started, Kei, an acquaintance, told Yooa that Mihyun asked for her number. She really didn't know what she should feel first, heart-fluttering or nervousness? She tried to ignore it as Mihyun never really texted her. I'll just let the fate decide for us. 

 

Maybe it was really fate.. or it was just the right time. Yooa met Mihyun again in their second year. The hallway scene with Hyejin was the most embarrassing moment for Yooa. She didn't even greet Mihyun.. because she didn't expect to meet her; not to mention that Mihyun had cut her hair short but Yooa still recognized her.. she really looks good in short hair. 

 

Still, Yooa tried her best to stay low about these feelings. She has many things to focus at. This wouldn't do any good for her.

 

But, when Mihyun entered the room where Hyejin dragged her to, she knew that's the sign. She could've just ditched the group, she could've just stayed alone at lunch. But she didn't. She continued hanging out with them knowing Mihyun was going to be closer to her. They grew closer as she expected. Mihyun really showed interest at her and Yooa can feel it. She isn't an idiot and she really finds it cute whenever she learns new things about Mihyun. Sometimes, she feels bad because she couldn't express herself more, and she doesn't want to talk about herself; afraid that Mihyun might find her unlikable.

 

She immediately rejected Mihyun when the girl first asked her if she could court Yooa. It's gonna cause them trouble. Yooa knows she can't handle being Mihyun's girlfriend, she might just hurt her. She has many responsibilities, plus the fact that her parents are strict, she doesn't even know if they'll be okay with Yooa having a girlfriend. But the girl was persistent, and Yooa let Mihyun be.. because she likes her, which is why she's scared the more she's getting attached to Mihyun. I lost. You win, Mihyun. In the end, Yooa's heart belonged to Mihyun. So she decided to let her heart enjoy Mihyun's affection. She became Mihyun's girlfriend. Even when she sometimes ignores her messages, and even her calls -- because she's with her parents -- Mihyun still welcomes her back. As if nothing happened, Mihyun always waited for Yooa.

 

She knew Mihyun really loves her truly, but she's still scared, that people could change. That's inevitable. 

 

Her mom found out about Mihyun. Not exactly Mihyun but her mom knew she's interested in someone. She was always busy with her phone when she's at home and she can't help it when Mihyun texts her. She had to talk to her mom about that because her mom said that once her dad finds out about Mihyun, she might never see her again. 

 

Her parents started checking on her much more often now, after her mom found out about her and Mihyun, her mom became more strict. They had a deal, Yooa will have to stay in the house for at least two to three weeks every month and she'll have to obey her dad's order no matter what; letting Yooa date Mihyun. But she was told to be careful, 

 

"Your future isn't in your hands, it depends on your father and you should know it."

 

Which made Yooa feel as if she was stabbed in her heart. 

 

She continued dating Mihyun. Every day, she's busy thinking of her plans on how she could stay with Mihyun, how she wouldn't break up with Mihyun, how she'd ask the girl to stay with her no matter what. Yooa was in complete anxiety and she couldn't tell anyone about it. With Mihyun, she feels the most comfortable, she felt loved, she felt appreciated, and she felt free. She can't lose the girl.

 

Among all the people who came into Yooa's life, Mihyun was the most considerate. There was one time when she had ignored Mihyun for a week, and when she arrived at the university, there was Jiho and Arin standing by the gate, Yooa wonders if the two are planning to ditch their classes but they aren't. Yooa often see these two together, although Jiho's class is so not-aligned with Arin's, the two still find a way to be together in their free time. When Yooa came to approach them--because they look like they want her to come to them, Yooa saw Arin holding a bar of chocolate while there was an envelope in Jiho's hands. 

 

Ignoring the stuff their holding, Yooa smiled at the two. "Good morning to you two, not planning to skip classes right?" Yooa checks her phone, there's still 45 minutes before Arin's class starts. Yooa knows her friends' schedules because she somehow just ends up memorizing them whenever they talk about schedules. 

 

"Nope! We're actually here to give you these." Jiho took Yooa's right hand and places the envelope on her palm.

 

"Make sure to read all of it, okay? I wanna see you smiling today." Jiho says, which makes Yooa confused. It was just a white envelope. Yooa hopes there's no death threat inside this, knowing Jiho's a prankster.

 

"Ya! Why do you sound like you're the one confessing to her?" Yooa glanced at Arin who lightly hit Jiho's shoulder. this little cute scene between the two younger girls made her laugh.

 

"I'm not! She's just down these days so I wanna see her smile!" 

 

"She isn't, don't worry about that Arin," Yooa assures the youngest, contemplating whether to tease the younger one about Jiho but Arin spoke again.

 

"This is for you too, unnie." Arin gave her the chocolate. "Eat these while reading. hehe.." 

 

Yooa nodded and big them a goodbye, telling them they'll meet later at lunch but they said it was okay if she doesn't join them. Weird. That's what she thought at first until she realized that these were from Mihyun. 

 

'Hello pretty, I know you've been stressed lately. Meet me at the rooftop if you want, this is a one-time coupon.' - MH. is what the letter says. Yooa really did smile just like what Jiho said. She can't help it if it's for Mihyun. So after her class, she immediately ran to the rooftop, a little too excited but that excitement didn't fail her. Mihyun was waiting for her there on their usual spot. 

 

"I know I shouldn't have become pissed the last time we talked.. I promise I won't be pissed again-" Yooa cut her off and just.. hugged her. That's all she wants right now. She missed the girl, it isn't easy to ignore her. But she has to.

 

Their relationship is what motivates Yooa every day. Looking forward to being with Mihyun. Hoping that Mihyun feels the same. Anyway, aside from her parents being strict, there was nothing else to worry about, until she noticed how their batchmate, Kei, had been following Mihyun around. 

 

Mihyun was so oblivious, Yooa knew the first time she met Kei when she's with Mihyun that the girl is interested in Mihyun. 

 

She didn't want to make a fuss about it but the other girl's presence just happened to annoy her when she met her one day on the rooftop, where she should be meeting Mihyun. 

 

"Why are you here?" Yooa asks, walking towards the other girl who was leaning on the railings, her arms were crossed. 

 

"I'm waiting for Mihyun. I borrowed some of her notes and I'm giving it back today." Kei plainly answers, Yooa looks at the notebooks, about three, on the chair. 

 

"I'll give them to her." She says, walking over to take the notebooks, hoping the girl would just leave.

 

"Aww, that's nice of you." The girl smiled at her, "Then I'll go now.. Oh! Can you ask Mihyun if she received my text last night?" Kei added, walking back until she reached the metal door. She looked back once again at Yooa to get her response. 

 

"She did. Kei, you know that she's taken. If what my guts tell me about you were right, you better hope I don't catch you flirting her. She might be nice but you can't take advantage of that." Yooa says, even shocked by what she said. She didn't know why but the thought really frustrated her. 

 

The girl just looked at her, seems like she wanted to say something but instead left. Yooa saw Kei giving her a look- glaring at her before leaving. 

 

Anyway, 

 

She's done with Kei.

 

With hopes that nothing else would go between her and Mihyun, Yooa tries her best to get a good shot to her parents. She did her best to be a good daughter to them. This became their set-up. Yooa had to be busy with family duties, and Mihyun will wait for her. Until one day, Mihyun texted her, saying she'll go to her house. Yooa felt excited, this might be the right time for her parents to meet Mihyun.. and for Yooa to be brave.

 

"What are you doing? I'm hungry, let's go inside." Her brother, Junsun -- who just came home from States last week -- pulled her into their house. Yooa was looking for Mihyun but the girl wasn't there. You said you're waiting, where are you? 

 

Yooa checked her phone, but there wasn't any message from Mihyun. Was she pranking me? 

 

"Just in time! I want you to meet my children, this is Junsun." Yooa heard her dad, introducing her brother to the two adults, a couple maybe, another business partner.

 

Yooa waited for her turn and smiled at the couple. The woman even stared at her when they shook hands, which is really weird. Yooa blinked when she saw the woman smile, I remember Mihyun's. She bit her lip, she remembers Mihyun every time.

 

"I see." That's what the couple said as they met Yooa. What?

 

"I already told them about our partnership before. Do you recall Junsun? The Kim's." Yooa heard them continue their talk. She remembers it, her dad always told her that they'll be meeting soon and it's going to be one of their business milestones if they successfully became partners. 

 

Uninterested, Yooa planned on walking upstairs to her room and study for the next week's class but her mom stopped her. "Come with us. We have to talk." 

 

It felt like there was a celebration as Yooa scanned all the food prepared on the dining table. She really isn't hungry but her brother told her to just go along and eat, and not say anything. 

 

"It's really a shame that we couldn't meet your son today, our Shiah here is just 2 years younger than him." What? Yooa coughed, couldn't help it. Is dad seriously doing this? The woman across her worriedly looked at her, it looked like she wanted to give her some water.

 

Junsun, being a naughty brother, patted Yooa's back and gave her a glass of water before speaking. "It's okay, ma'am. Don't worry about her, she's too excited and hungry." He even chuckled. Yooa, after drinking, pinched his brother's arm, hard. You know, siblings.

 

The man, Mr. Kim, laughed along with Junsun. "Yes, she reminds me of my daughter." He says. 

 

The father Yoo cleared before speaking again, "As I was saying.. it would be nice if our children meet each other, isn't it?" Yooa sighed silently, he's really pushing them and their partner's children to meet. Again, she isn't an idiot. She knows what he's doing. 

 

"Yes, I'd want to meet your daughter, Mr. and Mrs. Kim," Junsun speaks, supporting his father like he always does. 

 

"Actually.. our son isn't interested in dating." Mr. Kim started, Yooa noticed how Mrs. Kim looked surprise. Why though? I mean.. I'm also not interested in dating but why was her wife surprised? Interesting. 

 

"Ah.. I thought he was, we had an agreement before with him that he will meet our Shiah." Yooa's mom spoke, there was disappointment in her tone. Yooa didn't know what to say in this situation so she remained quiet, happy that her dad's plan failed for the first time. Not that it would pull down their company though, but she really doesn't want to date anyone else, just Mihyun. 

 

"Oh, we're really sorry about that. But we could introduce our daughter to your child if you'd like it." Mr. Kim suggested, Yooa saw his father's excitement. So, it's her brother now. She chuckled, her brother looked nervous. Now that Yooa is relaxed, she can finally start eating.

 

"Of course! Our Junsun-" 

 

"No, your daughter." Yooa, who was chewing on the meat, widened her eyes at the stranger's insistence on rejecting her father's initial arrangements. What again? She coughed once again, swallowing the food as she looked at her parents who looked confused. 

 

"Ah, we're sorry but I would only let my daughter marry a guy." ty. 

 

"It will be ridiculous for our family to have my daughter marrying some other girl." Yooa bit her lip, her hands were sweating as she listened to them. 

 

"Then we're sorry too. Our partnership wouldn't need to include our children then." Mr. Kim firmly says, Yooa can sense a tension here. 

 

"We have to go now, we'll just send you the documents soon. And please," The couple stood up, then bowed at them. "My daughter is not just some other girl." He added before leaving, Yooa's father followed them, she can hear him trying to talk to them as they disappeared into the dining room. 

 

Wow. I like the Kims. She smiled, even remembering Mihyun at this scene, Mihyun's surname is Kim. 

 

"Why didn't you speak earlier, Shiah?" Her mother started asking her, Yooa sighed, she knew her mom would say this.

 

Her brother patted her shoulder before speaking, "Ehh, mom, what would Shiah say, right? Things could be worse if she spoke." It might sound like a degradation but Yooa knows that her brother was saving her. She's thankful that her brother is here to save her, he happens to be confident enough to talk to their parents.

 

That night, she waited for Mihyun's text. She shouldn't be, but Mihyun said she'd be at her house. Where was she? Plus, tomorrow would be the day she'll meet Mihyun's parents. Thus, Yooa decided to text her.

 

Mii , 5:56 PM: I'll be waiting in front of your house.

Yooa : 6:00 PM, I'll be there soon~

Yooa : Mihyun? Where were you?

sent.

 

After a few minutes, Mihyun replied.

 

Mii : My parents are busy tomorrow. Can't meet. 

 

That was unusual -- Yooa knows she shouldn't be overthinking but Mihyun's reply was too plain. She didn't even answer her question. Worried, she called Mihyun but the girl wasn't answering. What is this about? Yooa started feeling anxious, she can't help but feel more anxious as Mihyun ignored her call. She couldn't be sleeping, she used to always take my calls. Why is she like this now?

 

For the next few days, Mihyun was absent. She sent a message in their group chat that she went home and her parents fetched her. She missed three days, she also wasn't replying to Yooa. Which worries Yooa so much, but still she kept sending messages to Mihyun. She would come back. That's what she always tells herself. 

 

Friday came and they would be meeting at Hyejin's place. Yooa's last class for that day ended early so she went straight to Hyejin's.

 

Jiho mentioned about the guy in the mall, it was Junsun. But Yooa didn't explain, it wasn't really a big deal though. Mihyun came a bit later, what scared Yooa was that the girl didn't even look at her, nor greeted her. What's going on Mihyun? Or is this about my brother? Did Jiho tell her? Why wouldn't you talk to me.

 

Felt like a big punch on her stomach as the girl was so quiet even when Jiho pushed the girl to sit next to her. Yooa wants to talk to Mihyun and ask her why she's so gloomy but the group was too busy. After a few hours of Mihyun's silent treatment and the group's talk with mini games, that Yooa couldn't judge if they're really fun to play because her mind was busy thinking about what was going on in Mihyun's mind -- when the group finally got tired, they decided to go home. Surprisingly, Mihyun held her hand when they're finally alone, while walking back to their apartments. 

 

Yooa's heart felt a little lighter now, at least she knows that Mihyun is still affectionate towards her. But her sudden quiet attitude still worries Yooa.

 

"Did something happen back at home?" Yooa asks, looking at Mihyun who's looking down on the ground instead. 

 

Mihyun shook her head, stopping from walking as she finally looks at Yooa. Finally.. Yooa can see Mihyun's eyes, they were sad-- broken, lonely, why? 

 

"What's going on, Mihyun?" She asks, she knows something is off and it bothers her so much. Yooa was scared. 

 

"Shiah.." Mihyun's voice was low, Yooa felt Mihyun letting go of her hand. She's got something to say and Yooa wants her to continue, so she could understand why Mihyun is acting this way.

 

"Let's break up."  

 

With that, Yooa regretted wanting to hear more from Mihyun. She felt a slash of pain in her chest, head trying to wrap around the phrase Mihyun just blurted out. Her legs wanted to fall to the ground. She couldn't speak, what would she say? She was not ready. All this time, she thought Mihyun would stay. Mihyun might be joking.

 

"Why?" is all Yooa could say. She still can't believe it. It's too impossible that Mihyun felt out of love in just a few days. She remembers the last time she was with Mihyun, she knew the girl loves her. Now, why? 

 

"Just.. I'm tired." and so it really happened. Yooa's fears really did happen. She stared at Mihyun's eyes, hoping she'd take it back.

 

But she didn't.


"I thought I'm the only one you want.. why? Why are you breaking up with me?" Yooa says as she takes Mihyun's hand on hers again, the girl wouldn't look at her now, she's avoiding Yooa's eyes.Yooa hates it. She hates how Mihyun pulled away from her and said,

 

"I changed my mind, sorry." Just like that, Mihyun left. She didn't just leave Yooa on the streets, she left her alone with a broken heart.