PROLOGUE: THE REVIEW

Lessons in Love

The anonymous author who goes by 'Kai' has recently released his debut novel, entitled What is Love, and unfortunately it leaves much to be desired. The plot is less than subpar and the chemistry between the two lead characters fell flat. At the very least, I can say that his writing skills are rich. His descriptions of settings, characters, and bits of dialogue are a breath of fresh air in this otherwise stale novel. I imagine if Kai tried his hand (or his pen, or his keyboard) at a different genre, one that perhaps doesn't make it glaringly obvious that he has never experienced romance firsthand, he might strike gold.

 

For now, it appears that his writing will continue to suffer due to his apparent lack of believability in this romance. Whether or not he's even been on so much as a date is up in the air. Let's hope that if he attempts to write a romance again, he will have a little more experience in order to make his novel less stilted and more credible.

 

How can readers fall in love with a story where we aren't even convinced that the characters themselves are in love?

 

I'd give What is Love 1 ½ stars, simply because all I could find enjoyable in this novel was the unique voice of his writing.

 

Did you read What is Love? If so, leave a comment down below and let me know what you thought!

 

Happy reading!

 

- D.O.