[Press 2] Wrong Number

Just Dial 143 [2020]

Dara’s POV

“Why life is so unfair? People with good hearts need to suffer to be happy while easy-going people have anything happy to live with. I hope I will not suffer anything like that to be happy. It will be too hard again for me.”

Jane suddenly break my thoughts.

“Hey Dara! I’m ok there’s nothing to worry, I will still have my wedding but not for now” my friend interrupted.

“No, that’s not what I’m thinking … It’s…

I paused thinking that it will only confuse Jane for me being in deep thought because let’s be honest I’m not like that in front of people.

nothing aiiiissshhh… don’t mind me” as I begin again to sip my coffee.

The phone in my station rang but I was too busy sipping my coffee.

“Dara, you should go back to your job, See you later?” Jane reminded me.

“Ah.. Ye-yeah same place” I answered.

Holding the handphone I hope that it is not the customer before or else it will put me in to trouble. As I tried to gather my thoughts, the phone rang again that it startled my whole body. I begin the call with my usual introduction.

“Hello! This is Sunshine Hotel’s Customer Ser---”

But a deep calm voice interrupts my warm greeting.

“Hello?”

It was not the customer before. I was trying to listen again to his voice.

“Hello?” the man on the other line says again.

It was too familiar that I forgot I am on duty.

The man on the other line speaks again.

“Umm… Hello? I think you should greet me, right?”

I panicked. 

“Oh yes… yes… Sir!”

I cleared my throat and started again the warm greeting. But the man on other line burst with laughter. The deep calm voice became the voice of an evil villain from the underworld. I was really annoyed.

“Hey Ajusshi… I mean Sir What do you think you’re doin’? Why did you suddenly laughed at me?” I protested.

The man on the other line calms himself from laughing before he answered me.

“Sorry I think I’ve got a wrong number. I thought it was a number for a pizza delivery. I think I have changed the last number, Or the first number? Sorry I’m weak in memorizing numbers and --“

I felt really annoyed. I was going to hang up, but I thought it will not be a good behaviour for an employee like me working in a high-class hotel.

“Sir, if you don’t have any business or reservations then we should end this call, Thank –”

“No Miss, don’t hang up… What’s your name?”

I was surprised but I am on duty and personal calls are not allowed during work.

“Sorry Sir but I think this should not be a personal call” I refused.

“Well, if you think it will be unfair then I will introduce myself first” the man on the other line replied.

“Sir, its not like that” I tried to explain but he insists introducing himself.

“My name is Jiyong so what’s yours?”

---

I have no choice but to hang up the call.

“Why do some people like playing around? I thought my day will be great because I have heard an angelic voice but aigoo… Please Dara be calm!” I complained to myself.

The phone rang again.

I cleared my thoughts so I can focus again with my work.

“Dara let’s do this again. I know this call will be fine, fighting!” I cheered myself.

Before I start my warm greeting to the new call, a guy on the other line takes the first response. He tries to sound like a girl and imitates my greeting.

I was surprised and I try to clean the phone with a blow like it was infected.

“What the hell?” I answered with great annoyance.

“I can’t imitate how you greet your customer sorry. Your voice compared to me is so… cute” a deep calm voice replied.

It was the voice of the man who called and annoyed me earlier. 

“Sir, I’m really sorry but I already said earlier that if you don’t have any business or any reservations then we should end this call” I said once again to him with a clear loud voice.

---

---

The other line was silent for almost five seconds but before I thought that I already won the call wars the mysterious man suddenly response with a mocking tone.

“Wow! You can hit the high notes… Are you a singer? You must ---”

I drop the phone declaring defeat.

“Jiyong? Who is he? What does he want?” I asked myself.

The phone rang again and I am convinced that the man with a deep calm voice was again the caller.

“PLEASE DON’T CA—”

I never thought that I was already shouting angrily on the phone. I was caught on act by the general manager of the hotel where at that moment was roaming quietly in our office.

I need to save myself from that unacceptable act.

“MISS SANDARA PARK!! What do you think you are doing’? Is that what you call customer service?” the general manager asked.

“Ma’am, Good Morning! I’m sorry ma’am , I didn’t know that I was singing too loud. I’m really sorry”

I repeatedly bowed to apologize but the general manager was not convinced.

“Miss Sandara Park! I don’t care if you like singing, You’re on duty! If I caught you doing nonsense again you already know what happens next, right? she threatened me.

“Yes, Ma’am” I said and bowed again to apologize.

---

The call was still on the line so I suddenly go back to the call.

“So your is name is Sandara Park huh , nice meeting … I mean calling you!”

The man with the deep calm voice, Jiyong , already knows my name.