A Date Worth Taking

A Date Worth Taking

 

 

Yunho was trying, and failing, to keep his head calm.

At least, that was what he was doing as he was staring at himself in front of his bathroom mirror with nothing but sweatpants after taking a shower and being shoved inside as he picked out his clothes for him.

"Okay Yunho, you can do this. You've handled case after case after case in your law firm, fought your ex-in-laws, raised your son and survived his puberty, and regained the love of your life." he muttered to himself. "You've done a lot of things. This day shouldn't make you panic..."

As soon as he said that, the door swung open to reveal his son who was looking at him with an amused smile. "Dad. Stop doing that self-pep talk and get out. I laid out your clothes for you." he told him as he went back to the bedroom, knowing that his father was not far behind.

Yunho got out of the bathroom with a sigh and stared at his bed where Jaehyun's pick was laid out in full view: his black and white striped dress shirt and black pants. It seemed so simple at first, but Yunho had to slap himself back to reality. He didn't want to look flashy in the date while his date was wearing casual clothing.

"Simple and nothing grand, as you were planning." Jaehyun crossed his arms with a smile, looking at his father who was still assessing the clothes laid on the bed. "But I made it a point for you to at least look like you have appeal."

At his teasing, Yunho turned back at his son, "Yah, that's mean, Jaehyunnie."

The younger smiled teasingly, "Dad, you're acting like a teenager going on his first date." he told him.

The other man jabbed his son's side playfully. "Making fun of your father is mean."

"I know." Jaehyun admitted. "But I'm glad you're doing this again Dad, really."

Silence reigned over the room as the words Jaehyun had spoken sank in. Yunho, the big bear that he is, was trying not to coddle his son while he was half-dressed at his statement.

"I'm glad you approve." Yunho said.

Jaehyun shrugged, "In any case, I'm getting a lot out of this, from you acting like a lovesick teenager to anticipating what you will do when you get all romantic."

"Now you're just making fun of me."

Jaehyun laughed as he held his hands up in surrender, "Hey, I was trying to help. Now get dressed. I'll join Uncle Changmin downstairs for breakfast. Join us once you're ready, and no more going back to the bathroom unless you're going to style your hair." he said as he left his father to prepare himself.

When Jaehyun got down to the dining table, he saw that Changmin has just finished setting up the table with food. Upon hearing his approaching footsteps, Changmin smiled at him, "Is he ready?"

The younger sat down on his usual spot, and the older sat across from him. "He's changing his clothes now, if that's called preparation. He spent half an hour in the bathroom trying to calm himself down." Jaehyun shared.

“Really? He even showed that side to you?” Changmin mused.

“Well, he is going to do a grand gesture, so I can at least understand why he wants everything to be perfect today.” Jaehyun mused.

“It’s been a long time coming, if you ask me.” Changmin replied. “You can’t imagine how much he’s been looking forward to today. He kept on texting me a lot of scenarios that could go wrong, it was maddening.” Changmin snickered as the two of them started eating. "It's been years since I've seen him this worked up."

"About dating?" Jaehyun asked.

"Pretty much. You know that your parents didn't actually date and got married the normal way per se." Changmin pointed out with a small hint of venom.

Jaehyun understood. The marriage of his parents was not really something worth remembering, if he was being honest. His mother was never really the type to be motherly or being a good wife. Such is the life of a spoiled heiress who ruins lives to get what she wanted.

"I know." Jaehyun said as they continued to eat.

"But I'm glad that despite that, he found it in him to divorce her as soon as he noticed that she was doing more harm than good to you." the older man added with a smile. "Seeing you being raised by Yunho-hyung, you turned out to be a good young man, and you had paved the way for him to get laid again."

A flush of pink graced his cheeks at the thought. "Uncle Changmin, EW!" he said with a grossed out face, making his uncle laugh at his misery of mental images. "How am I going to face Taeyong's dad now?!"

Changmin, having fun in flustering his nephew, continued to add, "Come on, don't act like a . I was young once too. At your age I've already done it many times."

"Oh my God! TMI!"

"Changmin, stop traumatizing my son." Yunho chided as he appeared at the table. Jaehyun whistled and pat himself at the back for a good job. Aside from that, his dad had forgone the usual strained slicked back hair he uses in the office to a soft side-parted one.

"Wow, look at you." Changmin mused as he pointed at him with his chopsticks, "You must really be looking forward to this date."

"You know I am but..." Yunho started.

It instantly alerted the two who were eating.

"Oh no, none of that." Changmin said as he dragged him to the table to eat. "You will not be pessimistic again for this date. You have been looking forward to this for months. Don't spoil it."

"Okay, okay, I'll eat. Sheesh. I'm just saying." Yunho mumbled but it was loud enough for them to hear.

"Just eat your breakfast hyung, and we'll talk about what not to think about on a date before you pick him up." Changmin said as they continued breakfast.

Jaehyun hopes that the other side was doing better than them.

The other side was not doing better, apparently.

In the master's bedroom of a penthouse located in the center of Seoul, clothing after clothing were being thrown out of the closets haphazardly. The culprit doing so was a man who was panicking and trying to find the best matching outfit for the date.

"No, no, this is too much. Do I look desperate to look good if I wear this shirt?" as soon as he said it, he threw away the said shirt to grab another one, "Or is this better?" he then left that closet to go to another one where coats were hung. "What does this shirt go with for coats then?" he wondered. "No then..." he then threw the shirt again.

At the foot of the bed was a teenager that was clearly exasperated that clothes were being thrown his way by a panicking adult. He sighed and declared it the last straw once the shirt was thrown on his head. Tearing away the shirt from his face, he pouted at the man, "Appa, please, choose an outfit already!" he whined. "You freaking out with your outfit will just make you late, and you're making a mess!"

The man turned to look at him, "Kim Moonbin, I am a fashion designer. I have to look the part!"

"Appa, you're already looking the part. I bet even if you wear the ugliest ensemble, you would still look handsome." Moonbin tried to convince him. "Just pick one you wear every day and you'll be fine."

"It can't just be my everyday look, Binnie. This is an anniversary date."

"Then wear something you think will bring out your strongest features."

"That would just make me look desperate enough to get laid."

"Appa!"

A chuckle was heard as another person came in the room. Moonbin looked at the newcomer and whined, "Taeyong-hyung, help me! He's driving me nuts again!"

Taeyong shook his head with amusement, "Appa, stop freaking out. Yunho-sshi will still go out with you even if your clothes aren't that appealing. You always freak out about your clothes when the two of you go on big dates."

“It’s cute at first, but having this happen for two years now is getting tiring, Appa.” Moonbin supplied.

“You two know very well Yunho is not just any boyfriend,” Jaejoong tried to defend himself.

Moonbin sighed, "Yes, because he's the one you’ve been pining over for years and now him dating you is a miracle. Appa. You are Kim Jaejoong. Anyone, especially Yunho-sshi would be stupid to not date you anymore just because you dress ugly."

"Binnie, I'm flattered, but this is a matter of life and death from embarrassment!"

"No it's not, Appa." Taeyong said as he picked out clothes that were thrown on the bed but not before wrinkling his nose in disapproval of the mess that was made. "Aish, we'll have a lot of cleaning to do. Binnie, get out and wash the dishes from breakfast. I'll handle Appa's clothes."

Finally out of the woods, Moonbin made a beeline to the kitchen to do what he instructed. "Yunho-sshi better make this day worth it or else..." he mumbled as he wore his gloves and got started on the job.

Moonbin had to cut their father some slack though. Up until two years ago, it has been years since his father has been on a date, too busy raising two children and growing his fashion empire that he built from scratch, right after a messy divorce with his mom that involved a lot of issues he was not willing to look back at.

What matters now is for this particular date to go smoothly. He has never been more thankful that Jaehyun meeting the family with his dad happened when they announced that he was dating his older brother.

By some miracle, it only took the two five minutes for his father to finally emerged with an outfit that Taeyong had picked out.

"Finally!" Moonbin said as he admired Taeyong's work of art, mainly the clothes on their already perfect father. "I told you, even if you had the simplest ensemble for clothes, you look expensive either way."

Jaejoong laughed as he sat down on the couch, careful not to wrinkle his clothes. "What time will Yunho-sshi be picking you up?" Taeyong asked.

"He said an hour before lunch. He wants to take me somewhere that may take a while by driving." Jaejoong informed them.

"Somewhere romantic I bet." Taeyong . "Jaehyun was very careful in planning dates, so I bet his dad will as well."

Jaejoong laughed, "Believe me, I'm wishing it will be carefully planned. I remember when we used to plan outings with the others, he always does his best to do it and even pulls in Changmin for help once in a while." he told them.

"Uncle Junsu and Uncle Yoochun will be looking forward to knowing what will happen today. I don't really know if the timing of their anniversary vacation is convenient or not." Moonbin said as he joined his brother and father on the couch to wait for his date. Their two uncles were a bit too invested in Jaejoong's love life that they tried to set him up numerous times, only for it to end on the first date each and every time.

When they had learned that Yunho, a friend of ages ago, asked him out two months after re-connecting and he said yes, they were happy and at the same time worried. About what, Moonbin and Taeyong later learned, was something that will make them commit homicide in the name of their father.

But Moonbin and Taeyong had to banish the thought in their heads. What matters now is the happiness of their father, and if Jaehyun was raised as a fine young man by Jung Yunho who adores his own boyfriend (read: whipped), then it means he was a man worth dating.

"Tell me, do you have any hint where he's planning on taking you?" Moonbin wondered.

Jaejoong shook his head but looked thoughtful. "I can think of a few things, but nothing concrete yet." it has been years, and Yunho had always delivered when he is planning their dates that goes outside of eating out and family gatherings.

One needs to remember not to doubt Jung Yunho if it comes to dates that he had poured his attention to.

A few minutes before the allotted time, the doorbell rang. All the worry and panic in Jaejoong seemed to return the moment he heard the doorbell ring. He had to stop himself from slapping his own face for getting this kind of panic every time the two of them go out on their big dates out.

Moonbin decided to answer the door for them since Taeyong was better in calming down their father. "I'll get it." he said while running to the door.

When he looked at the security camera at the front door, he saw Yunho standing awkwardly at the door, trying to calm himself down by taking deep breaths. Amused, Moonbin opened the door for him. He was really tall, and he had to admit, he can tell why Jaehyun was handsome enough to attract Taeyong.

"Good morning Yunho-sshi." Moonbin greeted.

"Good morning too, Moonbin." Yunho greeted back. "Is Jaejoong ready?"

Moonbin nodded and made way for Yunho to get in the house to head to the living room. "Appa, your boyfriend is here." he announced.

Yunho had to take a step back as he gazed at Jaejoong who, in his eyes, looked breathtaking. In an instant, all he could see was Jaejoong standing slowly, his blond hair illuminated by the sunlight from the French doors to the balcony behind him, making him glow in his eyes.

Even after all these years, he was still so beautiful it was blinding.

"Yunho-yah..." he greeted shyly upon seeing Yunho looking as dashing as ever.

"Hello Joongie. Looking beautiful as ever." Yunho complimented the moment he got his wits about him.

Jaejoong blushed at the endearment, "T-Thank you. You don't look bad yourself."

Moonbin and Taeyong can immediately see flowers coming out of the two of them three seconds in exchanging words.

It was cute but it turned sickening the moment the realization came to that they were acting like blushing teenagers.

They had to get them out of the house.

"So, Yunho-sshi," Taeyong started, getting their attention, “Where do you plan on taking Appa this time?” he asked, not caring if he was being nosey.

Yunho laughed and placed his finger on his lips, “That’s a secret for today.”

“Romantic.” Moonbin mused with a hint of swooning.

Taeyong laughed and elbowed Moonbin. "You may go about your date today, but we need Appa back at least after dinner, unless..." he made a side eye at the two of them.

The two adults in the room plus Moonbin blushed at his implication.

"Taeyong!" Jaejoong hissed softly, asking him not to say any more embarrassing things.

"Anyways!" Moonbin said, trying to get rid of his own flushed face. "Call us if you two will be late getting back." he told them.

Yunho, now a bit relaxed and back to reality from staring at Jaejoong, smiled, "I'll have him back soon, don't worry." he assured the two. "Shall we go?"

Jaejoong nodded and looked back at his sons who were smiling, "We'll be going now." he said as he left with Yunho. The two noticed the back of their hands brushing and the two sharing a small smile.

When the door closed, the two waited for a whole two minutes before they looked at each other knowingly. Slumping back on the couch side by side, Taeyong took out his phone and video called Jaehyun.

It only took three rings before it was answered by Jaehyun who was in a moving car. From his side, his uncle Changmin was the one driving. "Yongie~!" Jaehyun greeted with a shy wave of his hand.

"Did they leave already?" Changmin asked.

Taeyong nodded. "They just did. Yunho-sshi said they'd be home soon, though we all know that’s not going to happen tonight."

The two on the other line sighed in relief. "I hope this date goes well..." Jaehyun muttered.

"In the event it doesn't, I'll blame Yunho-hyung for that." Changmin supplied. “Are you boys ready?”

Taeyong and Moonbin glanced at the corner of the living room, where two medium-sized suitcases were placed that went unnoticed by their father. The brothers smiled conspiratorially, “We’re ready when you are, Changmin-sshi.”

“Meet us at your parking in ten minutes.” Changmin said.

“Okay.” Taeyong agreed.

"Do you think today will be alright?" Moonbin wondered.

"The man has waited for almost thirty years. He won't mess this up, I promise." Changmin assured.

"Yunho, where are we going?" Jaejoong wondered as he sat on the passenger seat, one hand holding Yunho, looking at him curiously.

Yunho was driving with a small smile on his face, eyes never leaving the road. "You'll see. It's a bit far from here, that's why I had to pick you up for lunch at eleven. Don't worry, I think you'll like it."

The other man looked at him suspiciously. "You seem so secretive these days, huh?" he teased.

Once the traffic light had the red light, Yunho hit the brakes and kissed the hand he was holding, eyes looking directly at Jaejoong. His grin got wider when he saw a pink flush on his cheeks. "I've been planning this outing for weeks now, Joongie, let me romance you without being questioned." he pleaded.

Jaejoong took his hand back and averted his gaze to the car window, blush intensifying. “You already romanced me enough with your gestures, Yunho-yah. You always make me blush and smile oh so confidently when you succeed.”

Yunho laughed as he moved the car again when the lights went green. "Not all the time. I was certain when I asked you out two years ago, you would reject me..." he told him with a melancholic smile.

With widened eyes, Jaejoong looked back at Yunho again, "You're kidding? You? Attorney Jung Yunho, not confident in his decisions?"

"I may be a lawyer, but I am not immune to the fear of rejection. Especially when it comes to things that matter to me." he returned.

"And what are the things that matter to you?" Jaejoong inquired.

"A lot of things." Yunho looked at him at the corner of his eyes with a smirk, "And I guarantee you're one of them."

Jaejoong couldn't help but smile. "We'll see about that when I find out what you intend to do for our date."

"I'll hold you onto that."

Changmin had planned everything with Yunho for the past three months, which was why there was no way that this day will not end up happily for both sides. The two had been through so much, and there was no way that anything will stand in the way of this particular date.

Which was why, when the opportunity presented itself, Changmin did not hesitate to gather some much needed help from Jaehyun’s very large circle of friends (he has a LOT) and Moonbin’s own theater club.

“Uncle Changmin, where should we place this?”

Changmin was taken out of his thoughts when he turned to see Jeno holding up one of the several boxes of fairy lights with Jaemin.

He looked at the label and replied, “That set is for the bedroom. Leave it there with Johnny and Yuta.”

Not long after, Changmin saw Moonbin carrying a box labelled pink rose petals with his other theater members carrying the same only their labels were of different colored rose petals. MJ had white, Jinwoo had red, and Rocky had blue. Sanha was the only one carrying a different labeled box: Polaroid photos. At the end of the line was Dongmin, or Eunwoo, as most know him by, who was looking at the blueprint for what they intend to do at the back garden where they were now heading in a beeline.

“They got them prepared quickly, didn’t they?” Changmin commented as he approached Moonbin. He took a peek at the box and indeed, there were fresh roses in it. More than enough for what they were planning for tonight.

Moonbin nodded enthusiastically, “It helped that the florist we sought help with knows Appa, and she was more than happy to take part in the plans.”

“Good. Now, call everyone over. We need to sift through the photos and to make some captions on them.” Changmin said as he pointed at Sanha’s large box.

“Aye, aye!” Moonbin saluted and went off with his friends to do as Changmin says.

Jaejoong had to stop himself from gaping as he saw where they had stopped after an hour of driving. "I thought you were going to take me to a restaurant, not nature.” He mused as he saw Yunho retrieved a picnic basket and blanket from his trunk.

Yunho looked at Jaejoong with his ever-disarming smile. “You used to love going out to parks with me. Don’t you like it?”

Jaejoong rolled his eyes and smiled at him before grabbing the picnic basket from him so that he could take the cooler from the trunk. “I didn’t say that.” He assured

The man simply chuckled as he led the two of them uphill. It took them a good half hour before they got to the top, and the view blew Jaejoong away.

The top of the hill overlooked the entire city. The edge of the hill was fenced by old wood, and at the corner of the summit sat an old oak tree where Yunho went straight to and laid down their stuff. “It gets a bit windy in the morning and too sunny, so I figured lunch time would be the most bearable time with the weather.” Yunho said. “Don’t worry, I checked the forecast and confirmed there will be no rain this time.”

At his statement, Jaejoong had to stop and think. He knew exactly what was going on.

"Yunho, is this...?" he trailed off as he saw Yunho nod.

“It is. I figured the first time I realized I was in love with you is fitting for recreation, don’t you think?” Yunho asked him.

Jaejoong didn't know what got into him, but he felt so giddy that he had to chuckle in amusement as the two of them got down at the blanket. “I don’t mind at all.”

He remembered that day vividly. It was something that he had liked to reminisce sometimes, when he felt nostalgic and when he had last found the albums of his childhood when he did the cleaning with Taeyong and Moonbin.

Yunho was stood up by his date at the time, back when they were fourteen. When he received a call from Yunho saying that she stood him up at Han River, Jaejoong didn’t hesitate to ask his father to drop him off the said location and spent the rest of the day with Yunho just to cheer him up.

Though it was far from perfect, given that it had rained a few minutes after they were done eating, it was a memory that Jaejoong always thought of fondly, especially when he had managed to make Yunho smile and to just forget the girl who was evil enough to leave Yunho hanging. Yunho had apologized to him for being a bother. Obviously, he told him that it was fine and he enjoyed running with him to the car when they had tried getting out of the rain.

They were fourteen at the time.

With his silence, Yunho started to get bothered after he finished setting up the blanket and the food. “Joongie? Are you somehow not liking this date? Do you mind that this is what I had planned?” he asked him worriedly.

It was washed away soon after Jaejoong gave him a smile and giggled. "What do you mean I don't mind? It's perfect." Jaejoong stated as he went outside ahead of Yunho and took in the cool breeze of the location. He missed nature.

Yunho took it as a good sign that the plan was going well.

“I didn’t know that you liked me already at the time…” Jaejoong teased.

Yunho smiled back at him and shook his head in slight embarrassment, “Yeah. I guess that was when I realized that I might have feelings for you at the time, though it did take me a long time before I realized that it was a crush that I was feeling.”

“How long did that take you?” Jaejoong wondered.

Yunho frowned at the memory, “When you were being courted by that Japanese guy.”

“Shirota?” Jaejoong tilted his head with a teasing grin, which got wider when Yunho nodded. “Aw, I didn’t know jealousy will make it come out.”

“I know. And I’m glad I did though.” Yunho said. “Changmin spent years pulling his hair out in frustration in making me realize that I felt more than just friendship towards you.”

Jaejoong could only laugh at the mention of their ‘baby’ surrogate brother’s difficulties.

An hour into their date, their conversation was filled with reminiscing and recalling every stupid and reckless things they had done over the years.

“But in any case, the stupidest thing we’ve ever done was letting each other go without even giving it a try, or confessing…” Yunho muttered but it was loud enough for Jaejoong to hear.

He smiled sadly at the thought, “Yeah, it was…” he said with a sigh as he leaned on his shoulder to look at the view, a comforting silence in the air.

Yunho, trying to cheer him up, smiled as he huffed, “Taeyong-ah was a shock to me though. You two look alike so much I started to think bad things.”

Jaejoong laughed and looked at Yunho and booped his nose, “You thought I used his mom to forget my feelings for you and that I might be in denial and got her pregnant in the middle of university.” He mused, remembering the day Yunho tried to confront him about Taeyong a few weeks after meeting again. “Truly your imagination can run so wild sometimes.” He chuckled.

"I'm sorry if I implied it like that but...please, hear me out? I...Taeyong is already in his twenties, and I was still madly in love and pining over you, and you claimed that you had been feeling this way for years too so…”

Yunho stopped in his tirade in explaining himself the moment Jaejoong scoffed in amusement.

Taeyong wasn’t Jaejoong’s biologically, but had adopted him when he had married his ex-wife who had Taeyong from a previous relationship.

“Stop laughing at me!” Yunho pouted that the other man found it so adorable he couldn’t help but kiss him to get rid of it.

Yunho accepted the kiss and wrapped his arms around his hips, keeping him there until Jaejoong couldn’t do anything but to straddle him, food forgotten. Jaejoong pulled away from their kiss, but his teasing smile was still there when Yunho opened his eyes.

“You’re still laughing.”

“I’m not.” Jaejoong denied.

“Explain the grin you have right now then.” He mumbled.

“Okay, sorry for teasing you.” Jaejoong replied as he pressed their foreheads together.

But there was still something that was on Yunho’s mind that he needed to set free.

"Did you...did you love her though?"

Jaejoong raised a brow, silently asking him why he was asking him now, but Yunho looked adamant in knowing, so he relented with a small smile. "I think my devastation about the messy divorce story that I know Taeyong had shared with Jaehyun was enough of an indication that our marriage had a big impact on me. There was affection and understanding there for a time, but there was no love, which, of course, led to her having an affair behind my back while I was on business trips." he stated.

In fact, Yunho did hear that story from Jaehyun the day after Taeyong's birthday party. According to Jaehyun, Taeyong and Moonbin's mother was a normal nice woman, until she met and fell in love with her co-worker who convinced her that she deserved to be treated better and to divorce Jaejoong and swindle him for what he was worth.

It was as if their ten years of marriage meant so little to the woman that she was easily manipulated. It was only a miracle that Jaejoong caught on with her little plan when Moonbin saw her with that man and told Taeyong, who told Jaejoong soon after.

When the affair was found out, Jaejoong had enough proof to the divorce attorney and the court that she is not to get anything from him, and full custody of both Taeyong and Moonbin fell to him as he had legally adopted Taeyong despite keeping his biological father's name, Lee. Added to that, Jaejoong managed to file in a restraining order.

They have been living as a three-person family unit ever since.

"I...I'm sorry."

Jaejoong then took both of the man's hands, amused at his ashamed face, regretting having the thought of Jaejoong having an affair behind his back. "Jung Yunho, I have said this many times before, you have nothing to be sorry about." he told him. “If anything, it was my fault in not confessing to you back in college and allowed you to marry Jaehyun’s mom for your family business…”

"We promised that we will not look back on that again, Joongie." Yunho replied.

"We made a lot of promises to each other, didn't we?" Jaejoong muttered.

"Including promising to love your mysterious ways with stray cats and your special inclination to tattoos?" Yunho teased, remembering back in college, Jaejoong had gotten several tattoos to signify a lot of things that had happened in his life after getting influenced by rock stars.

"Leave my tattoos out of this!" Jaejoong whined.

Yunho laughed genuinely and connected their foreheads together, “Okay. Can we continue our romantic date now?”

Jaejoong gave him an eskimo kiss, “The romantic date never paused.”

Back with Changmin and his army of boys, he was now being assisted by them in sifting through numerous Polaroid photos that Sanha had brought in earlier.

The boys were more than eager to help him out, but five minutes in, they started to regret it.

“Oh my God, they’re shameless!” Yuta said as he looked into the pile of photos full of Yunho and Jaejoong. Most of them were old, but there were also new ones taken for the past two years, edited and printed out as Polaroid photos.

“And to think, they were still not together at this point, but the photos says otherwise.” MJ commented.

“Wow. Dense couple right there.” Kun commented.

“Imagine us, the photo crew, taking them.” Jaemin said with an approving nod with Johnny, Doyoung and Kun.

“The cringe is there, but they’re good in spreading the romantic air.” Kun said.

“It’s just…suffocating at times.” Johnny added.

“I think it’s cute though.” Jisung said.

“Ah Jisungie, you pure soul.” Chenle mused. “You always see the good things in this.”

Jisung huffed, “But it’s true! My parents are not even this lovey-dovey when they were dating, and they’re younger than them!” he stated. “Mom said that as a romance author, they’re her perfect specimen for ‘fluffy’ slow-burn romance, whatever that means.”

Taeil, the eldest of them all, agreed with their little maknae. “I agree. I have hundreds of love songs and they fit the cute romance category.”

“That says a lot. Yuta is not that romantic, and I’m dating him.” WinWin said and looked at Yuta, “So your opinion of them being shameless is your repressed emotion of being not romantic enough on beating them.” He said to Yuta, who feigned a heart attack upon hearing it.

“Mark isn’t romantic either.” Haechan added.

Mark looked offended, “Excuse me?! I practically give you full reign on romantic dates!”

“It doesn’t count since you never plan them.” Haechan returned.

Sensing that it was better to stop the fight before someone breaks up, Taeyong huffed, “Okay! Enough! Our parents have their own way of showing their love, and your significant others too, okay?” he said, trying to lessen the lover’s quarrel in their group. Seriously, handling all nineteen of them were tiring him out. He sometimes wonder how he ended up with a gaggle of kids as his friends, but he loves them anyways.

Ten, ever the insightful one, looked through the photos of the couple and couldn’t help himself but ask Jaehyun, “They all look so happy in their old photos. Why did they not confess though?” he wondered.

Taeyong, Jaehyun and Moonbin froze for a second before they all sighed, as if remembering the circumstances was something that they can’t really talk about freely.

Dongmin sighed and looked at Ten, “Don’t bother. The three won’t budge in telling, and I’m his boyfriend.” He said as he pointed at Moonbin who looked sheepish.

“Because it isn’t our business?” Jinwoo pointed out.

“Nah, not really.” Moonbin denied. “It’s just too much of a headache to listen to. You don’t want to know.”

Jaehyun sighed, wondering how he’s going to say it without going into details. “You all know how Dad was the heir to their family business before he built up his law firm, right?” Jaehyun asked his friends who nodded in response. “Well…”

"Yunho-hyung's family business was close to failing at the time, and the only company that was willing to save them was a family whose daughter wanted Yunho-hyung for herself. So she convinced her father to make them a deal."

Changmin spoke as he carried bags of food with Rocky, Sanha, Lucas, Jungwoo, Hendery, Yangyang and Xiaojun. They had ordered out and had met the delivery guy who had to ride a car to deliver a feast for twenty-eight people.

Jaehyun looked worriedly at Changmin, “Uncle Changmin, is it okay to tell?”

The older man shrugged. “They need to know the backstory anyways since they’re helping.” He reasoned.

“Then what happened?” Renjun wondered, all the teenagers were eager for Changmin to continue while the rest handed in the take-outs.

Changmin sat at the chair nearest to him and braced himself for a long story.

"The two were idiots in love, that's all I can say about how they adore each other. Yunho-hyung was planning on confessing after university." Changmin told them. "When the situation happened, things got complicated. They knew that Yunho-hyung's family business was all they had for the past four generations, and having it go bankrupt was something that they were not allowed at all."

"So grandmother and grandfather forced Dad?" Jaehyun wondered.

Changmin shook his head. "No. Auntie and Uncle adores Jaejoong-hyung. I'm even willing to bet that they love him more than Yunho-hyung most of the time. They would never force their only son to do that, knowing that Yunho-hyung was also pining for him. They were all for not taking the deal, but…"

To Taeyong and Moonbin at the time, that would explain why the family gathering at the Jung residence with Jaehyun’s grandparents had gone smoothly. The moment the Jung couple had met Taeyong and Moonbin, they were instantly seen as their extra grandchildren they had never gotten to see. There was even a funny video call with Jaejoong’s parents in Japan with them saying that they were hiding their grandchildren from them. It made sense why they were instantly accepted.

At that, realization kicked in to the teenagers. "So you mean..." Jeno trailed off.

"Yep." Changmin replied with a popping sound at the end. "Yunho-hyung chose family duty over confessing, and married Woojae’s mom to save the family business from going under." he confirmed. "Your mom knew the two of them from the classes they had shared so they at least know her to a point. What they didn't know was that she was just looking for an opportunity to strike to get to your dad."

"She's the criminal." Jaehyun scowled. "She only wanted Dad because he was handsome and on the road to richness with his incoming law degree and numerous job offers."

The younger ones, especially the Dreamies, as they called them, were a bit scared at Jaehyun’s angry voice. They’ve never seen Jaehyun so genuinely angry at the guts of the woman who birthed him, but from his background, it was obvious why.

"And Appa somehow knew this?" Moonbin wondered.

Changmin shook his head, "At the time, we didn't know that she was the one who planted the thought to her parents, only until after they were married and had Jaehyun." he corrected. "He filed for divorce with full custody of you afterwards. That was when you were three." he told Jaehyun who seemed to have pieced the timeline together.

"So they didn’t confess because they were forced to, but because of the circumstances at the time?" Taeyong summarized.

Changmin nodded. "The five of us, meaning your dads, Yoochun-hyung, Junsu-hyung and I, had been tied to the hip since our middle school days because we were in the same dance classes. Our parents treated us like their own and vice versa, so there was no shortage of love from all five families. That is why the option of letting each other go to save the family business was on the table."

"But why did they cut connections to each other?" Jaehyun wondered.

A frustrated sigh came out of Changmin, indicating that he did not like remembering that incident at all. "Jaejoong-hyung's parents got a job offer in Japan, so they had to move out. He was supposed to stay until he graduated university, but when Yunho-hyung got engaged, Jaejoong decided to transfer out and followed them, not wanting to ruin the marriage or to slip in making his feelings known. He preferred to leave rather than watch him be married to someone else. Yoochun-hyung and Junsu-hyung followed soon after graduation and receiving job offers outside of our hometown, until all Yunho-hyung had was me."

"No wonder we only knew Uncles Yoochun and Junsu when I was seven. They didn't expect to see each other again." Taeyong stated.

"That's a good thing too, you know, since Uncle Junsu helped Appa be more recognized when he modeled for Moldir." Moonbin supplied. "Appa used to bring us everywhere during summer to his workplace and even brought us overseas if needed."

"Oh, so that's why you two are good in Japanese." Jaehyun commented.

"And a bit of French, but Appa gave up teaching it to us." Taeyong added.

A smile graced Changmin's face for the first time since he started telling them the story. "And now because Woojae here started dating Taeyong, the two saw each other again."

"They could have started dating earlier if Jaehyun-hyung hadn't waited three years to man up and asked him out already." Moonbin spilled. "Really, Jaehyun-hyung, I had to listen to Taeyong-hyung on how he was always frustrated that you didn't want to tell hi-umph!"

Before Moonbin got any embarrassing details out of his mouth, Taeyong immediately grabbed him and covered his mouth to silence him the best he could.

“The two are idiots. Imagine us looking at them with frustration during school and work. Their pining is sickening.” Doyoung pointed out.

“Ugh, don’t remind me of their mutual woes. I didn’t sign up to be a relationship advisor.” Ten agreed.

Ears started turning red for the couple in the process. Changmin laughed, "Like father like son. At least you didn’t pine for him for more than twenty years."

"Uncle Changmin!" Jaehyun whined.

"Well, enough about the past. What matters now is what will happen tonight. You boys are essential in making things happen." Changmin told them as he handed the take-outs.

"And Yunho-sshi has been planning this for how long?" Eunwoo wondered.

"Three months." Jaehyun replied.

The others whistled in wonder.

"Now then boys, eat up and we'll get back to work. Chop, chop!"

After their picnic, which really included less food and more cuddles and chaste kisses, the two packed up and treaded down the mountain, now off to the next destination on Yunho’s elaborate date plan.

Hand in hand the two of them took their time in descending the mountain path, enjoying the fresh air that they would never have in the bustling city. They hadn’t had this much alone time in nature for a while, as most of their dates consisted of dinner out on the restaurant or a weekend with the boys, and sometimes, with Changmin.

This was the kind of dating bliss the two of them has been longing for.

Which reminds him of his second purpose…

Taking out his phone, he waved it slightly in front of Jaejoong when they stopped on the steps. “Joongie, look, aren’t the flowers here beautiful?” he asked as he pointed at an alternate path that led to a flower garden that was tended to by the rangers situated in the mountain.

When the other man laid his eyes on it, his eyes immediately brightened, and Yunho felt his heart skip a beat upon seeing it. Almost immediately, Jaejoong turned to Yunho, “Can we stay here for a while? I want to take photos!”

At his cuteness, Yunho couldn’t help but to steal a peck to his lips and motioned him to go ahead, “Take as many as you want.”

Yunho marveled at the embarrassed face of his boyfriend as his cheeks started to have pink tints. Jaejoong didn’t let him see more of the blush progress before he ran towards the flower garden and took out his own phone and started taking landscape photos and close-up photos of flowers. Yunho was certain that flowers will be the main inspiration for his next collection.

The next fifteen minutes were spent with Yunho staring lovingly at Jaejoong who was shutter-happy at all of the things he could see in the vicinity.

‘Ah, I really love this man, don’t I?’ Yunho thought to himself before approaching Jaejoong who was at the rosebushes sporting pink roses in full bloom. When Jaejoong noticed that someone was approaching, he turned his back to see Yunho towering over him who was crutched down.

“Joongie, let’s take a photo together here.” Yunho offered.

Jaejoong only chuckled, “I thought you don’t like taking photos?”

“I don’t like being taken photos of me without my permission, but I do want to take a photo with you and of you.” He clarified, remembering the times when Jaejoong would grab a hold of his precious camera and take numerous candid photos of him, Changmin, Yoochun and Junsu. Most of the time, he was his target for candid photos that tend to come out as embarrassing, from eating food to sneezing. Jaejoong had all of them in film. He can bet that he still had the negatives too.

There was even one time when he broke his camera, Jaejoong chased him down with a rake in his rage, intent of hitting him. If it wasn’t for the other three who were there at the time, Yunho would have been dead instead of replacing it with his own money. Even his parents lectured him on breaking his prized possession.

Jaejoong only forgave him when it turned out that Yunho replaced his camera with an even better brand and version. Yunho sometimes thought that Jaejoong only lives for his cameras.

His statement got the desired effect and Jaejoong motioned him to stand to his right as he extended his arm holding the phone, front lens directed at the two of them. “Smile!” Jaejoong said and posed for the picture.

In the middle of it all, Yunho decided to be sneaky and kissed Jaejoong on the cheek the moment his hand pressed the capture button. The photo turned out to show Yunho kissing him while Jaejoong sported a shocked and scandalized look. Jaejoong never liked to be surprised with intimate gestures, that was his job, and Yunho never really acted on his urges to broadcast his love until they started dating, which sent the said man off at times, since he has never shown this side of him, or never had it before.

When the two viewed the photo, Yunho could only laugh while Jaejoong hit him on the arm a bit hard that the taller man had to wince slightly.

“You sneaky sneak!” Jaejoong exclaimed as he turned around to leave the garden.

Yunho was still laughing when he ran after him and hugged him from behind. Laying his chin on his right shoulder, he mumbled an apology, “Sorry, Jae, you’ve been looking so adorable for the past few minutes while taking photos of the garden. I couldn’t help myself but to snag a peck.” He said with amusement, restraining Jaejoong from hitting him from behind due to annoyance and thinly veiled embarrassment.

“I hate your surprise affection sometimes!” Jaejoong mumbled.

Yunho, feeling that he has had enough embarrassment for a while, tore away from him and held his hand firmly in his. “Come on then, let’s head down. I still have a lot planned for today.”

“Fine…” Jaejoong mumbled.

The two descended the mountain and went back into the car, now on their way to their next destination.

During the drive, Jaejoong decided to check up on the boys. It only took three rings for Taeyong to pick up the phone and put it on speaker.

“Appa? Are you done with the date?” was his son’s greeting the moment he picked up.

“Bold of you to assume this will only be a morning date.” Jaejoong stated. “Just want to check if you two are doing okay at home.”

Jaejoong repressed a laugh when he heard Taeyong groan on the other line. “Okay, TMI. Binnie and I left the house about a few minutes apart after you left. Moonbin got pulled by the ear by Dongmin for attempting to ditch his theater rehearsal, and I’m currently with Jaehyun with the rest of our NCT dance class.”

Jaejoong raised a brow, “Today? I thought you two said you had nothing to do for today?” Jaejoong wondered, “And you told me you were going to cook dinner tonight.”

Taeyong simply laughed sheepishly, “Well, Binnie was trying to ditch, which angered Dongmin, and Jisung and the rest of the younger dancers decided to call me for an emergency practice because they were nervous for the upcoming performance they will have next month.” He explained. “Which means you have more time to spend with Yunho-sshi! You can even be back by lunch tomorrow and we won’t say a thing.” He added teasingly.

At that point, Yunho couldn’t help it but burst into laughter at his implication. “Hey, Taeyong-ah, don’t tease your father too much.” He chided.

The eldest Kim son replied with a snicker, “I knew I was on speaker. You better make the most of today, Yunho-sshi. You have Appa all to yourself now.”

Instead of getting embarrassed like Jaejoong is right now, Yunho only scoffed. “Careful there, he might not come back at all.”

“I’ll believe that when there’s a rock on his finger. Until then, you’re bringing Appa back unless you notify us beforehand.” Taeyong replied.

“I’ll take that as a challenge.” Yunho declared.

“What are you two talking about?! I am not a daughter to be married off!” Jaejoong complained.

“I’ll head back to the practice room now. I’ll tell Binnie we have the house to ourselves tonight. Bye~!” Taeyong said as he abruptly ended the call.

Jaejoong did not look happy at all. “That boy, I swear…” the fact that he mentioned having a rock on his finger worried Jaejoong. Knowing Yunho for years, he knew that when something fails or ends, he will not really pursue it in the foreseeable future. Getting married again, much less to him, is something that he did not want to discuss with Yunho so soon, knowing that his failed marriage might still affect him. Jaejoong wanted that commitment, but he wanted to confirm that Yunho wanted the same as well. And from his stance on marriage when they had last discussed it, it seemed that he was not ready to take that step, something that Jaejoong was willing to wait for, that was why he never brought it up.

What he didn’t know was that Yunho was a very good actor, a skill that he had picked up in his career as a lawyer. There were times when Yunho had to fib and act when it came to difficult clients and to bait someone into slipping. He’d say he nailed it every time the subject of marriage came up with Jaejoong in the vicinity, or anyone that is not Changmin or Jaehyun.

There was no way in hell the day will not end without Jaejoong being secured in his arms.

“By the way, where are you taking me next?” Jaejoong wondered.

“Well, the next part of the trip may be a bit different. I arranged for the rest of our day to be spent somewhere we both know.” Yunho hinted. “You can sleep if you want. We may take a while.”

The other man nodded and in a matter of minutes, the sound of the car engine and the road view lulled him to sleep. Yunho couldn’t help but glance at him every now and then in adoration.

He was going to do it.

Jaejoong dreamed of a white wedding in a massive flower garden surrounded by friends and family.

He knew that this was not his wedding with his ex-wife, because they only had a civil ceremony, but judging from the venue and a gaggle of teenagers hoarding one side of the guest seats, he knew that this might be a wedding that he had been craving for.

And he was right, for on his vision, he can see himself walking down the red carpet, his parents by his side, walking down towards a man’s back that he knows all too well.

When the man turned around, Jaejoong knew he was right. Standing right there was Yunho, smiling at him with adoration as he held out his hand for him to take.

Jaejoong could only do one thing, he reached out for the hand and…

RING RING RING RING!

Jaejoong opened his eyes slowly and was met with the afternoon sun setting.

‘Why am I having this dream? It’s not like Yunho will do it with me. We’re already in our forties for goodness sakes!’ he thought to himself.

RING RING RING RING!

His eyes moved at the offending object that interrupted his nap. He looked at it and noticed that it was his phone, with the alarm setting off.

Strange, he remembered having it on his pocket before getting in the car to drive to the next…

Soon he realized that he was alone in the car, and Yunho can’t even be seen outside of the said vehicle. Panicking, and a bit mad that Yunho left him sleeping, he picked up his phone and ended the alarm, only to see that a text message from Yunho had been sent just a few seconds ago.

Sorry, you looked adorable when you sleep. When you read this, come out and follow the trail.

“What is he up to?” Jaejoong muttered as he got out of the car with his phone in hand. It was getting dark wherever Yunho had parked the car, but when he looked down, he noticed that there were fairy lights on his feet. His eyes followed the trail which led to a port.

It was a port for private yachts docked at Han River. The last time he checked, Yunho never liked spending his money on luxury items unless it’s clothing and accessories. Unless it was Changmin’s, but he was pretty sure his money was saved for his food trips. But then, some of the boys did mention in passing that the family owned one, it’s just that it wasn’t really used much.

He tried calling Yunho to get his back to the car, but the calls were unanswered. He didn’t want to bother his sons who were out on their own, so he did the only thing he can. He followed the path of fairy lights to the port.

As he was doing so, he tried to squint his eyes to the end of the path, and it led him to one of the larger yachts, painted in pearl red, gold and black, Cassiopeia.

Now that name he recognized and can tell who the owner was.

Now assured that he will be safe, he followed the path at his own pace. As he did, he began to see a man impatiently waiting for him at the dock along with two very familiar teenagers. He must have felt his eyes on him, as he stopped tapping his hands on his crossed arms and looked him in the eye.

“Well finally, you’re here!” The voice of Kim Heechul exclaimed as he smiled at him. Now having a clear view of the others, he realized that it was Taeil, Johnny and Jinwoo waiting with Heechul.

Jaejoong looked around the deck, the floor he is walking on still has a fairy lights path that goes behind Heechul, and there is almost no people on board. “What is going on?”

“Your boyfriend is what is going on. I was waiting for you before the yacht leaves port to go about Han River. He’s waiting for you at the end of this fairy lights road, but to get there, you need to follow them, starting at the cockpit and head straight to the starboard side.” He said as he motioned to stern.

Taeil motioned Jaejoong to get to the stern, “If you would follow us, Jaejoong-sshi, we’ll be leaving port as soon as you board.”

“We have been asked to assist you tonight.” Jinwoo added.

“So please follow us.” Johnny said as the three extended their arms up to the gangway in sync, Jaejoong almost found it cute.

“Good luck.” Heechul said with a wink as he left him on his own again.

As he did board the yacht, the boys immediately retracted the gangway and the next thing Jaejoong knew, the yacht has sailed off with Heechul waving at him before getting on his phone and leaving.

After a few minutes, he asked the boys, “Tell me. What is he planning tonight?”

Johnny shook his head and the three made a motion to zip their lips. “You’ll have to follow the fairy lights for that, Jaejoong-sshi.”

Not knowing what was happening right now, he decided to just follow the path that was laid out on him. He noticed as he got up the cockpit, the Salon was closed off. The fairy lights seem to steer him to the Starboard Side, as Heechul instructed him. As soon as he got to the first few steps forward, he noticed that the fairy lights path had now gone from the floor to the left side of the tinted windows only, with some interesting additions.

There were notes and Polaroid photos pinned with them.

The one nearest to him was a green stationery with a recent photo of Yunho, whose hands were clapped together in a sign of apology. Taking it out of the clip it was attached to, he decided to read it to better understand what Yunho was up to this time.

Hi Joongie!

Sorry about leaving you in the car alone.

I wanted to make today special for you, so I had this arranged with Heechul and the boys. Yes, the picnic date was a stall.

Just follow the fairy lights and the photos, and they will lead you to me, like what the boys had done two years ago.

I will wait at the end of the path for you!

-Love, Yunho

This was too cheesy, and Yunho was someone who was very good in making him giggle like a teenager experiencing first love.

And giggle he did as he followed the path. A minute into walking, he saw another photo and a note attached to it. This time, it was a very old photo of him and Yunho along Han River, the day when Yunho was ghosted.

The bro-date at Han River, Junior Middle School.

You were mad at the girl that was supposed to be my date at Han River, and you even helped me prepare some dishes for our picnic that day. When I called you saying that she didn’t show up (only to find out she was seeing another guy from another school), you didn’t hesitate to cancel your plans with Junsu to see a musical and spent the entire day and the food with me.

I told you that maybe I wasn’t good enough for anyone, and you told me that I was perfect the way I am, and if the girl decided to ghost me, then she was not worth my time. You told me that I deserved to have someone who would be with me at my beck and call, and would always have my back, not just for romantic stuff, but as a close friend.

That day, I realized that maybe, the right person was just beside me all along.

Back then, I couldn’t tell what made me like you. I could have all of time and I will still not have enough time to list down all the things that I can think of about you, how you are so mysterious and special that I lose all the words I want to think and say.

I haven’t realized I love you then, but that was the beginning.

Jaejoong couldn’t help but smile at the thought. That was one of the days that Jaejoong held close to his heart. He once thought that the bro-date at Han River was the only glimpse that he could have in being Yunho’s boyfriend. Now, that was a thing of the past. Right now, he had Yunho’s heart.

Wondering what other cheesy memories Yunho has brought up over the years, he proceeded to follow the fairy lights, seeing numerous photos of his time growing up with Yunho and the others. There were little notes on each photos, ranging from their memories of graduations, festivals, even the times when they had to dress in animal costumes for a charity event at a children’s hospital instigated by Yoochun’s parents. With them were several kids in hospital gowns, all brandishing the brightest smiles they had ever given in front of the camera while hugging them.

The Embarrassing Balloons number

Even now, I still don’t remember what got us agreeing with Yoochun’s mom to have us dressed in animal costumes and to sing a song for the kids at the children’s hospital.

I guess Yoochun’s mom has that much of a hold on us all, and Yoochun can’t really refuse her. But on that day, I also realized how you loved coddling kids and was a natural kid magnet. I remember how you got close to one of the children in the neonatal care, and how you cooed at every single baby and made them smile. I was the one who hugged you when you cried when you found out that some of the long-term patients were terminally ill, and you told me how sad you were that the kids were too young to experience such hardship, that children their age should just be healthy and happy, because they only get to have one childhood.

I realized that you ahd the biggest heart that I could ever imagine, having enough space for the children you barely know. I realized I fell in love with you even more.

And I guess it carried over to when you had Taeyong and Moonbin, and for that, I am glad your love of children had only grown stronger as time passed, because it is also big enough to fit Jaehyun in your life as well.

He was close to tearing up, he knew. The fact that Yunho remembered this was endearing. It happened the summer after their high school graduation, when Yoochun’s mom had all but convinced them to go the hospital for charity work, and they were glad they did. Because it made Yunho fell more into him.

Wondering what else was in store for him, he decided to follow along the fairy lights, only to see a montage of photos over the years, from photos of just the two of them to photos with their friends, until he got to the main corridor’s door. A note and a photo of a melancholic Yunho on the couch was seen on the door handle with another note, but this time, the words within were something that Jaejoong’s heart sunk to when he read it. This is where we walked on parallel lines.

As he read it, he noticed that the fairy lights had split up, one went to the main corridor, and the other went to where the Bow Lounge was located, but there was a sticky note that says, ‘Our paths had become parallel. Head to the path that you chose. The Galley.’

The Galley.

Jaejoong tilted his head to the side in curiosity, but followed it nonetheless. As he did, he noticed that the way to the Salon and the dining area was closed off with a makeshift wall, but it only took him three seconds to not mind it the moment he saw two familiar people who were supposed to be somewhere else other than drinking tea in the dinette.

“Taeyong? Moonbin?” Jaejoong let out in wonder, catching the attention of his sons who only smiled at him.

“Hey Appa!” the two said in unison.

“What are the two of you doing here?” he wondered as he looked around the galley and the dinette, where the room was littered with photos. Photos that he remembered were sitting at their house in photo albums, not as Polaroid photos either sticking or standing to random nook and cranny of the room.

They were Jaejoong’s photos with Taeyong and Moonbin, from their childhood days until Taeyong’s recent university graduation.

Moonbin was giddy at the question, “Well, we lied to you earlier.” He admitted. “We were helping Yunho-sshi prepare this!” he said as he and Taeyong made a grand gesture to show that they littered the room with their photos that only radiated happiness.

Jaejoong took one of them in his hands to see that at the center was the largest one, their latest family photo from his and Moonbin’s birthday this year. There were three of them in sophisticated outfits designed by Jaejoong for their annual family picture. He felt bad that Yunho and Jaehyun were not part of the photo, but Yunho understood that it was a family tradition for the three of them, to hallmark their growth year after year, signifying that one needs to look back on what they have always in order not to lose themselves moving forward.

“And Yunho-sshi wanted for us to give this to you.” Taeyong said as he handed Jaejoong a red envelope. “You might want to take a seat first.” He said as he motioned to the couch at the dinette.

Jaejoong could only chuckle as he sat down, both Taeyong and Moonbin at his side, somewhat bracing themselves for something.

Not paying any more attention to their rigidness, Jaejoong proceeded to open the envelope to read a long letter with Yunho’s handwriting.

Jaejoong,

By the time you are reading this, you’ve already seen Taeyong and Moonbin with you in the galley full of your family pictures.

Remember when I told you that our paths had become parallel?

This was the time when we spent more than twenty years apart, because of a love that I never confessed earlier. The photos in the room represents all that you have done in your life while I was not there. While I regret not bearing witness to all of your achievements in life, I am very proud of you.

These were the years that I always thought of ‘what ifs’ and ‘what might have beens’ had I acted on my feelings earlier than what happened now. If only fate did not play with us to separate us, we might have skipped all of the lingering loneliness and had been happy together.

Even then, I am glad that you had gotten where you are now, even without me. You had grown into a man that even I did not recognize when we met again—but in a good way!

You had matured, learned how to be more independent than you already are when we were still young. You were always so confident in your plans for your future, and had encouraged me not to give up my goal of becoming a lawyer.

You had become a successful person that only you alone had done from scratch. Even if your personal life did not go the way it should, your career is a testament on what you had gotten through to make it to where you are today. The fashion world, as you and Junsu had often pointed out, is a very cutthroat world, and with the eyes of the public on your every move, one wrong scandal could be your ruin.

You as a father, well…where do I begin?

You always have a special place in your heart for children. It only became bigger when you had seen Taeyong, as you told me. He was but a year old when you adopted him as your own, but respected his decision to keep his father’s family name. Even then, your love for Taeyong never lessened, even with the arrival of your actual biological son, Moonbin.

You raised them with discipline, and properly educated them on the consequences of freedom, you never restrained them to become something that they do not want, and you had raised them to be the people who will be true to themselves and to stick to the morals that you have taught them. You raised them with love and adoration that many others will envy them for, but not to the point of raising spoiled children.

No. You are better than that. You taught them what was right and wrong in a proper way, praising them when they did something they are proud of, and telling them off when they did something stupid due to puberty (don’t deny it, we’ve done worse ;)). When your divorce came along, you never showed them your pain, only love and reassurance that you will never leave them behind, especially Taeyong, now that you and your ex-wife were no longer together. And you delivered in the most amazing way possible.

Taeyong and Moonbin grew up as good boys with good upbringing. That is something that you should be proud of, and never think anything less about your ability to be a parent.

The only regret that I have in knowing this now, was that I was not by your side through it all.

And for that, I am sorry.

-Yunho

Jaejoong almost cried entirely when he read the last page of the letter, but he held it in. To think that Yunho felt guilty that he never got to see what he had done for the past two decades was heartbreakingly sad. The man never showed it, as he always did have a poker face most of the time, especially when the topic of past marriages was brought up. Jaejoong never really expected for Yunho to open up about his thoughts of him being someone else’s husband.

“Appa. Are you okay?” Moonbin asked worriedly as he looked at his father who was close to crying.

His voice took Jaejoong out of his reverie and shook his head, banishing the tears back. “Yes, I’m fine.” Jaejoong said as he took both of his sons in his arms in a group hug while humming.

“You sure?” Taeyong asked, worried that their father might start crying now that he had them under his chin. He and Moonbin exchanged looks without Jaejoong noticing, too caught up in the warmth of his sons.

“I’ll be okay.” Jaejoong said and ended the hug, much to the boys’ slight disappointment. “So, what’s next to follow after this letter?” he asked them, promptly changing the subject.

Taeyong and Moonbin nodded to each other and motioned their father to head to the door going to the portside.

“The fairy lights resume on the portside. Follow them, and you’ll get another encounter.” Taeyong assured him.

“Still not letting me in on what you boys are up to?” Jaejoong tried.

The boys shook their head, “Nope.” They said while adding a pop sound on the last two letters.

Shaking his head at their ridiculousness, he decided to just follow the new set of fairy lights at the Portside. The fairy lights were now directing him to the bow lounge.

As he did, he noticed that the lights were now showing an attachment of photos of Jaejoong alone over the years, as a model, and some photos of him from magazine articles as the owner of his fashion house, Moldir.

On the stairs that lead to the Bow Lounge, he noticed a shadow in the lighting. Someone else was waiting for him.

He ascended the stairs to the lounge, and just like the galley, he saw Polaroid photos sticking, pinned or standing on different surfaces of the lounge, but this time, they were not photos of him. They were photos of Yunho, and the boy who was seated in one of the couches, looking at him with a smile that was so like his father, he felt like he was staring at his younger self.

Just in front of the table where Jaehyun sat, was the largest photo in the lounge, a photo of Jaehyun and Yunho from his most recent birthday party-slash-Valentine’s Day, looking happy and content of being side by side.

“Jaehyun-ah.” Jaejoong greeted him as he sat down beside him when Jaehyun motioned him on the side. “Let me guess, you can’t tell me what your dad is planning for tonight?”

Jaehyun nodded with a chuckle. “Sorry Jaejoong-sshi, but Dad wants this to be surprise.” He explained. “Speaking of, he wanted me to give you this.” He said as he handed him a green envelope with a rose. “You might want to look around while you read,” he advised.

Jaejoong nodded and did just that.

Jaejoong,

Look around, and you will see several photos of Jaehyun and I (plus Changmin) as we walked through life with just the two of us.

You might want to know the reason why I regret not being there for you for the past twenty years.

I guess it was because I was a little bit envious about what you have done to endure what happened to you. Or maybe I compared what happened to me with what happened to you. I don’t really remember anymore.

But there was a question that lingered: would I be happy with my life now if Jaejoong was by my side throughout everything?

Before I start, I would like to let you know that you should not be sorry about what happened. You should not blame yourself of the choices I had made, because in the end, I got to have you back in my arms, okay?

Life after you left was despair. I would not say hell, because that would mean that I hated everything that had happened to me.

After university graduation, as you know, I got married.

It was not a happy marriage for me than it was for her. She got what she wanted: a husband who had secured a good job at a law firm, and her basking in the fortune that the said husband is making.

I made it clear that she was never going to earn my love, or to receive the same affection as I have given to you. She seems to accept it reluctantly, because, well, we were married.

In the months that followed, she had gotten pregnant with our child, Jaehyunnie.

Out of all this, the best thing that happened in my life was the arrival of Jaehyun.

The light of my life. When I first held Jaehyun in my arms, I knew then and there that I would do anything to make him happy, to raise him properly as I was raised, to the point that I would even accept to be at least on friendly terms with his mother just for his sake.

I decided to be the best father in the world in the eyes of my son, and no amount of resentment will ever be present on me when I spend time with him. Everything I do will be done for him, and him alone. He became the anchor that I needed to go through with life, the one thing that kept me from breaking down from the stress of my job and my marriage.

Jaehyun is the best thing that has ever happened to me aside from meeting and loving you.

The photos that are around you now are the ones that I have taken with Jaehyun from his birth to his growth as a pre-school kid, his teenage years (puberty was hell) and his university years.

I was content with Jaehyun taking over my life and distancing myself from my wife just to hide the tension we have in front of him. Then the divorce happened because of something I had found out happened before our marriage.

I was so mad that his own mother would refuse to co-parent Jaehyun with me and preferred only infrequent visitations, like he was a coat or an accessory that she can just keep in a box and use it as she pleased.

In all honesty, Jaehyun and I were more than glad to see her off. She was never motherly to Jaehyun, even on times when he was alone with her. I don’t know much from the gossips of the maids that we had in the house, but I know from Jaehyun’s actions that the two never bonded.

But we learned together that life must go on, and should never really restrain someone who wanted to let go, even if it was one’s own wife and mother.

There was no love lost there.

But it also took me almost forever to find my love again.

To find you again.

I never expected that Jaehyun’s boyfriend, Taeyong, would be your son, and I sure as hell did not expect to see you introduce yourself as Taeyong’s father when we met during his birthday party.

Seeing you again reignited the love I had hidden, the love that I had thought was lost forever due to circumstances.

It took Jaehyun and Taeyong assuring me that you were definitely single and to ask you out for me to realize that I still want you with me.

Two wonderful years later, here you are now, at the Bow Lounge, full of photos of Jaehyun and I, reading this letter.

That day two years ago, on July 1st, we found a path to be together. While we were clumsy and awkward at first in reconnecting as friends, it only took us a few weeks to enter into a relationship that we should have had all those years ago.

My question earlier had now been answered: Yes, I would have been happy had we confessed earlier, but I wouldn’t trade this timeline for the world if it meant it would bring me to you like this, no matter how much time has passed.

I love you, and I always will.

Yunho

Jaejoong didn’t notice that he was crying until he folded the letter and Jaehyun came to him with a tissue box with a worried look on his face.

In order to assure the boy that he was fine, he gladly took the tissue box and dried his tears.

“I guess that Dad was too passionate with his letter, huh?” Jaehyun asked jokingly, trying to lighten up the mood.

“When is he ever not passionate? He took to parenting with much enthusiasm that he raised a good boy like you.” Jaejoong commented as he grasped one of his shoulder gently.

Jaehyun returned his smile, “I was happy when I found out that Dad has been in love with you for a long time, and was even happier when I found out you felt the same. I will do anything to see Dad happy, not just content, with what he has.” He explained. “I’m glad you two found each other again.”

At his declaration, Jaejoong’s heart swelled with joy. Even before he had met Jaehyun when he still knew him as Taeyong’s boyfriend, from his son’s stories, he had already accepted him into the family. When they met formally, he knew that he will be a good partner for his son, judging from the way they treated each other with love and care. The fact that he also helped Taeyong manage his college ‘children’ was also a big plus in his books.

In the years that he had known the boy, he was already his son in his heart.

“And I’m glad you accept me, Jaehyun-ah.” Jaejoong said as he pulled the boy in his arms briefly.

“Now then, what has your father in store for me next?” he wondered honestly.

Jaehyun laughed and pointed at the starboard stairs of the lounge, “You’re going back to the main corridor and up to the pilothouse.” Jaehyun started as he led the two of them back to the starboard corridor, with the fairy lights still continuing on. They made it back to the main corridor, only to see that the galley was now missing Taeyong and Moonbin. Where they went, Jaehyun said they were somewhere else to be, including him.

Not long after, Jaehyun shoved him to the stairs going up to the pilothouse. As he did, the captain greeted him with a slight bow and instructed him to follow the fairly lights as well, leading to the fly bridge lounge.

What he saw made his brow rise.

At the lounge were the eldest ones in their large circle of friends, including Taeil, Johnny, Ten, Doyoung, Jinwoo, MJ, and the rest who were manning the stove, grill and prepping some food, though he did notice that some of them are missing. On the center of it all was Changmin, overseeing the kids in cooking.

It didn’t take long for Changmin to notice Jaejoong descending from the pilothouse and greeted him with a smile, “Hey Hyung!”

The kids greeted him all at once before returning to their tasks at hand, making Jaejoong wonder why they were prepping for food that can feed an army when the yacht had a staff to do that for them.

“Changmin, what is going on?” Jaejoong asked again. In all honesty, he lost count how many times he had asked that since he went onboard.

“Dinner preparations. We lessened the crew count to just the captain and the ones who takes care of the engine below to accommodate the kids. They live in a single house anyways, so they know how to prep food and clean up after themselves.” He replied, knowing that it was not the answer that Jaejoong was looking for.

As expected, Jaejoong shook his head, “No, I mean, what is Yunho up to this time?”

“You can ask him at the salon downstairs then.” Changmin motioned to the stairs that led to the cockpit, the stairs that he saw before he was ushered by Johnny and the others earlier to the starboard corridor.

Huffing, he pouted, kind of upset that no one was telling him anything. “I’ve been walking all over this yacht all day and no one tells me anything.” He mumbled.

The younger man only laughed and motioned him to head down to the cockpit, which would lead him to the salon.

When he had gotten the view of the cockpit, however, he was surprised to see that the salon was slightly open, but the rest of his sons’ friends were there, gearing up for a performance and were eyeing the stairs he is coming down to. Right there with them were Taeyong, Jaehyun and Moonbin setting up the mic stands, preparing to perform.

The moment they heard the footsteps, their heads all went to his direction, making him feel like he was backed into a corner.

Not a second later, the boys started playing their held instruments and the three with the mics started snapping their fingers.

“This song is dedicated to the man who is his everything.” Moonbin started with a scheming smile.

Taeyong was next to speak, “He has waited for a long time for this.”

“So he hopes you will forgive him for giving you the run-around.” Jaehyun continued and they started to sing.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

(Love Line English Translation)

[Moonbin]

When I think about you

I think about how

All day, I think

But I can’t figure you out

[Taeyong]

You’re so mysterious

You’re so special

Several times a day

You test me

[Jaehyun]

Woo woohoo we’re so different

But why am I so attracted to you?

Woo woohoo I can understand with my head

But I can’t explain with words

[All three]

We’re walking separately on parallel lines

But at the end, we find a path to be together

Right now, you and me, it’s a bit awkward

But come closer to me

I’ll go closer to you

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

While the boys were signing, those with free hands were handing him roses as he walked down the staircase. He watched the three sing together, something that he had always loved seeing when they got together as a family unit. Moonbin and Jaehyun got along so well that it looked like they had known each other for a long time already.

When the two realized that they had the same taste in music and their penchant for performing, albeit on different ways with Jaehyun and Taeyong diving into signing and dancing on the stage, Moonbin preferred theater acting along with it.

Yunho seemed to think that they would make a great trio, and their singing right now is a good example of it.

Speaking of his boyfriend, he was very flattered that he had prepared all this, but for what purpose? He was thinking that as he was led by Sanha and Jaemin to follow the fairy lights that now turned to flower petals on his feet the moment he went down the staircase.

The three boys continued to sing as the boys had also finished giving him roses, twelve white roses, to be exact.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

[Jaehyun]

Several times a day

You ask me every day

Trying to confirm

What about you I like

[Moonbin]

So several times a day

I answer you

When I’m attracted to you

Do I need a reason?

[Taeyong]

Woo woohoo we’re so similar

But why are we so different?

Woo woohoo no matter how much I think about it

I can’t understand

[All three]

We’re walking separately on parallel lines

But at the end, we find a path to be together

Right now, you and me, it’s a bit awkward

But come closer to me

Look far ahead to the endless parallel

At the end, we’ll meet eyes

Yes, you and I, we’re going a bit slowly

But come closer to me

I’ll go closer to you

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The rose petal path led him now to the door to the salon, where Jeno and Renjun were on both sides and opened it to see Yunho, waiting for him in the middle of the room in a flower circle. All around him were their favorite photos for the past two years, all enlarged and framed. Their first photo on Taeyong’s birthday at his café, their first date, birthday parties at home, small weekend vacations and more. He also saw that their photo earlier at the garden was the largest one and was just right behind Yunho in a beautiful golden frame.

Yunho was right there in the middle, smiling at him with all the love and adoration that he can project to him that Jaejoong stopped in his tracks briefly and almost forgot to breathe. He could not believe that he had fallen in love with this man all those years ago, and had it reciprocated at around the same time without him noticing.

He was very fortunate that fate had made them meet each other again.

As he continued to approach him, Yunho suddenly took out a mic from behind him, the boys were now shifting as backup singers as Yunho let out his beautiful voice for him to hear.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

[Yunho]

We’re so similar but why is there so much we don’t know?

We’re so different but why are we so attracted to each other?

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Jaejoong looked at Yunho as he approached him and met him halfway in walking to the middle of the rose path, hands outstretched.

He took it instinctively and the other man grasped it gently, his eyes never leaving his as he pulled him slowly back to the center of the room, his voice still stable as he continued to sing the rest of the lines with a bit more enthusiasm in them.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

[Yunho]

We’re walking separately on parallel lines

But at the end, we find a path to be together

Right now, you and me, it’s a bit awkward

But come closer to me

Look far ahead to the endless parallel

At the end, we’ll meet eyes

Yes, you and I, we’re going a bit slowly

But come closer to me

I’ll go closer to you

Woo hoo hoo

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Once the last notes of the song ended, Jaejoong could only stare at Yunho with a large smile on his face, clearly flattered at his gesture and his effort in arranging all of this for their anniversary. The boys behind them were all silent and anticipating the outcome of their surprise.

“Yunho-yah,” Jaejoong squeaked as soon as he regained the knowledge of speech in him. “What is all this?” he asked as he looked around at their photos while one hand was grasping the twelve white roses and the other hand held Yunho’s still.

The man only smiled as he still spoke over the mic, clearly letting everyone in the yacht know his every word.

“Kim Jaejoong…” he started, and Jaejoong could tell that he was getting red in the face at his bright smile and the way he said his name with affection. “Since we were eighteen, you have always been the love of my life, and that had never changed.” he started to fidget, “Everything you have seen from our date, to your tour of the Cassiopeia, my words and the photos that came with it all represents my feelings towards you, and how it developed from a mere affection into love.”

“Yunho-yah, you do realize that I feel the same, right?” he dared ask him with a bit of teasing in his voice.

Yunho laughed and nodded, “I do.” He replied. “Which is why knowing that gave me the strength and the courage to do something like this.”

“What else are you planning for today?” he wondered.

Yunho stared at him for a moment and burst in to a small chuckle, as if laughing at a joke that only he knew the context of. “Joongie, the reason for all of this is for one purpose only for tonight. For you to become mine. Forever.” Yunho revealed.

Jaejoong’s breath hitched, and before he can keep up with his head, he watched as Yunho let go of the hand that held him and took a familiar red box out of his pocket. He didn’t catch much of what was happening in his background as his eyes and attention were all focused on Yunho, who knelt down on one knee, mic in hand and the box opened to reveal a yellow gold love ring with screw motifs and three diamonds.

“Kim Jaejoong, we’ve been torn apart by circumstances for over twenty years, and all I have felt about you the entire time is longing to have you love me as much as I love you. You came back into my life, different and even more lovable than the last time I had seen you. You had brought back the genuine happiness in me in loving a person, and I want that love with me for the rest of my life.” He said with confidence that Jaejoong could do nothing but to silently cry at his declaration.

“That is why, right now, I am asking you, sailing in the river where I fell in love with you, Kim Jaejoong…will you marry me?”

That phrase.

It has been the phrase that he has been waiting for him to say for a while now.

How stupid could he be, thinking that Yunho was not that keen on getting married again because of the trauma of his previous marriage?

He loved this man so much that he was willing to set aside his own desire of marriage if it was a way for him to keep him within his reach, to not scare him away from another chain of commitment that might end up in shambles.

But now he realized that he was overthinking things. Again.

Looking at Yunho’s expectant and nervous eyes, the waterworks of his eyes started to overflow and he was now crying as he nodded eagerly, eyes getting blurry as he uttered the words that made Yunho’s smile brighter than the city lights outside.

“Yes!” he replied while sobbing, his eyes were now full of tears that Yunho became a blur in front of him.

But that didn’t stop Yunho from abandoning the mic on the ground, standing up, placing the ring on his finger, and kissed him fully on the lips, swallowing the sob that Jaejoong was letting out.

He didn’t know how long they stood there kissing, but it was long enough for the boys outside the cockpit and the fly bridge lounge from shouting in celebration and happiness, knowing that their months of preparation was worth it.

When they pulled away, Yunho laughed as he wiped the tears away from his eyes and looked at his eyes lovingly. “I love you.” He whispered.

Jaejoong didn’t stop crying at all, instead, his declaration made it worse. “…I…I l-love you t-too!” he let out.

“Aw come on, don’t cry…” Yunho pressed their foreheads together, hoping that he would stop.

Jaejoong only nodded and tried to put himself together, which he eventually did.

The moment he had gotten his wits about him, their sons decided to approach them in the middle of the room and embraced them with congratulations.

“Congratulations Appa!” Moonbin and Taeyong said as they attacked their father with a double hug. Jaejoong tightened their trio hug and swayed them for a bit, making the two of them laugh.

Jaehyun simply gave his father a brief one, “Good going Dad.”

“I tried my best.” Yunho replied to him.

“Alright boys! Now that the two are engaged, let’s celebrate!” Changmin’s voice behind them was heard.

The rest of the boys cheered with happiness as they went behind the family and took off the curtain that separated the salon from the dining room where the ones above had snuck in the cooked food they were doing at the fly bridge lounge earlier.

Jaejoong was swimming in happiness as he and his fiancé (that had a really nice ring to it) joined Changmin and the boys to eat the prepared food as they continued to sail through the Han River.

His giddiness lasted until the end of dinner, where the boys wore their life vests to change yachts. Apparently, the much larger Cosmic Star was following the path of Cassiopeia awaiting the boys who will be staying there overnight to give the newly engaged couple some alone time in the yacht. Changmin will be supervising them as he was the one whom Heechul will be chasing down should there be a scratch on his yacht by the time it was returned to him.

He embraced his boys with a goodbye for the night (including his future son Jaehyun) as him and Yunho decided to lounge around the salon to reminisce their time together supplied with the photos that littered the place.

When nightfall came, all Jaejoong and Yunho could prioritize was to make each other feel as much love as they could. From their touches to their kisses all through the night, they showed to each other just how much they are in love, and how much they were willing to give to the other.

This was the promise that they had made when they had started this relationship, and this was the same promise that they will keep for the rest of their lives.

When morning came, Yunho was the first to wake. It was already ten in the morning, three hours later than he usually rose on normal days. He smiled as he saw the love of his life, snuggled in his arms, marks littering his neck down, showing what they had done the night before.

At times like this, Jaejoong tended to sleep like a log. He can tell that he wouldn’t be awake for at least an hour or two more.

Not being able to resist, Yunho trailed his hands along his eyelids, his cheekbones to his lips. He couldn’t believe that after all these years, he has finally gotten the chance to call Jaejoong his fiancé, and in the near future, his husband.

Years ago, people had told him early in his life that he was a lucky man to have a great career, parents, upbringing, and a beautiful son. All that was missing was a partner he could spend the rest of his life with, seeing as his first marriage ended in shambles. He would always reply to these people that he was content with what he has, and would not ask for more if fate will not allow him to.

When he had found Jaejoong again two years ago, he took it as a sign that his love story is not over yet, he was not going to die as a single old man. Instead, he was given the chance to pursue the love of his life, and from then on, he had no intention of letting go. Not anymore.

He had decided from the moment he met him again two years ago that this time, he intended to make this relationship a permanent one with the goal of marriage.

Yes, call him a romantic or possessive, he had every intention of marrying Jaejoong since two years ago, and he was more than happy to make it so.

Last night, Jaejoong had told him that he was worried that he had no intention of marrying again after his failed first marriage. He actually feared that bringing up the subject of marriage might scare Yunho away from him. Yunho had to assure him that there was no way in hell that he was going to be scared away by the prospect of marriage with him. He would be stupid to even think of doing it. Fate gave him a chance to be with him, and Yunho was not going to waste this opportunity. Not in his life.

“Yunho-yah…there are other ways to wake me up…” Jaejoong muttered as he opened one eye slowly to look at him with a smile on his face.

Yunho chuckled as he swooped in and pecked him on the lips. “You looked so beautiful, I couldn’t resist.”

“That’s what you always say, but we both know I look terrible in the morning.”

“To me, any look you have is always beautiful because it’s you.” Yunho replied and kissed him on the forehead.

Jaejoong whacked him on the arm lightly but smiled at him either way. “Good morning, fiancé.” He greeted.

Yunho felt pride swell as he held Jaejoong’s hand that had the ring on it. He kissed the said hand and greeted back, “Good morning to you too, fiancé.”

The other man marveled at the ring as it was hit by the light above them. The ring was beautiful, but not as beautiful as the man who had given him the ring. “I’m not dreaming, am I?”

The taller man chuckled and kissed him again, “Nope. You will be stuck with me for the rest of eternity in a few months.”

At his statement, Jaejoong pouted, “Not even twenty-four hours since we got engaged, you’re already planning the wedding date without me.”

“You can set the date for the wedding. I’m more than prepared to marry you anytime, any day, even tomorrow, if it means I could have you for the rest of my life.”

“Jung Yunho. I will have you know that the only cheese I want for this morning should be on my omelet and toast.” Jaejoong returned as he smacked him and sat up from the bed, ignoring the slight twinge of pain in his lower half and his sore muscles. From the marks that were left on him, it seems that they may have overdone it last night, and they were visible enough to scar their sons.

Yunho didn’t take offense at his response, instead, he shook his head in amusement and got up from the bed. “As you wish. Our sons will be coming over in a while for brunch using the speedboat from Heechul. It seems they too overslept because of his game room and didn’t get to bed until early in the morning.”

“They deserve it seeing as they did a lot of work in helping you with last night.” Jaejoong commented. “I’m going to take a shower. Join me?”

There was no way in hell that Yunho was saying no to that.

As the day moved on, they spent the entire morning together, and the afternoon with their sons who were more than happy not to ask what happened after they left the yacht.

This was their first day as fiancés, and this was their first day to forever.

And if the crowd will see the two of them crying on their wedding day in sheer happiness, no one was going to fault them for it.

They found a path to be together, and they promise that they will no longer have to walk on parallel lines.

 

 

end.