Chapter 4

One Rainy Day
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Yo!”

As promised, Ms Lee dismissed the class for lunch break after settling the admin matters. Students were rushing out of the classroom as if they had not eaten for days. The calmer ones were those who had brought their own lunch from home, some stayed in the classroom while some went to the canteen.

Young Jae, one of the few who brought his own food, greeted the new student with a bone-crushing hug. “I thought I would not see you again!”

The two ended the greeting with a bro handshake, both beaming widely. “Ah! I see you brought your own packed lunch. We can eat here then!” Young Jae commented, noticing a Tupperware on Mark’s table.

“We should join them too!” Young Jae suggested as he spotted Mi Joo and Ji Soo arranging their tables. “Hey! Can we eat together?”

“Sure,” Ji Soo replied in which Mi Joo cursed silently at her best friend’s agreement. She should have suggested heading to the canteen if she had known this would occur. But it was too late. Now she was stuck eating lunch with the last person she wanted to be with.

Mi Joo shifted her table silently, joining hers with Mark’s while the other two connected theirs in front. She could not help but feel awkward around him. She ignored the brushing of his arm as she settled in her seat.

“Hey, Young Jae. Thought you will eat with Myung Eun?” Ji Soo questioned, nudging his elbow.

“I want to but that girl usually vanishes in thin air before I could ask,” Young Jae answered, picking up a slice of kimchi.

“Aw, it is okay to cry. You have my shoulder to lean on,” Ji Soo continued her teasing as she patted on her shoulder.

“What… I am not even upset,” Young Jae stated, shoving more kimchi into his mouth. By the looks of it, it seemed as though he was using the fermented vegetables as a way to console his broken heart.

“Sure, buddy. Sure.”

“So, what is the deal? You like her or something?” Mark, who was silently listening to the conversation, chimed in.

“Yes! He is just ‘denying’ it.” Ji Soo air-quoted, speaking for Young Jae.

“Like I mention before, Myung Eun is just a friend. End of story.” Young Jae put on a lot of emphasis on that specific term, trying to get his message across. It was of no use though since Ji Soo would not stop her endless poking. He knew it and hoped she would have mercy on him during the weekend camp.

“Anyways.” Young Jae quickly changed the topic, eyeing on Mark now. “What happen? You suddenly disappeared out of nowhere.”

Ji Soo elbowed on Young Jae’s side at once upon hearing his insensitive remark, causing him to exclaim an outcry. He grimaced at the unexpected hit but not for long when he realised what he had said. “Uh… I mean if you are comfortable to share, of course.”

“Yeah, it is fine.” Mark was picking on his food, not looking at either of them as he quietly uttered, “My parents got a divorce so I followed my mom.”

Silence filled the air, each of them not knowing how to respond. Mi Joo, who had not once spoken a word, commented, “I am sorry to hear about that.”

Mark lifted his head, looking at the girl who now held an empathetic expression. “Um… Yeah. I am alright now. It has been some time since their split-up.” He smiled and anyone could tell that it was forced.

The atmosphere, from bright and joyous suddenly changed to a dark and serious one. Everyone sensed the heaviness, each silently eating their lunch.

“Uh… What luck I have huh. Not only the same school but the same class as you guys,” Mark mentioned in order to lighten up the tense mood. He felt kind of guilty for ruining the happy vibe.

Ji Soo and Young Jae immediately agree, both acting as per normal as they reminisced about their middle school life. On the other hand, Mi Joo was still distracted at Mark’s words. She was absentmindedly moving her food around, in a deep thought about how there seemed to be another meaning to his statement.

Mi Joo’s train of thoughts were interrupted when she sensed something soft grazing against her face. Her eyes widened in surprise the moment she turned. Mark was at least a few inches away, his fingers appeared to be brushing on her pink lips. Any closer would there be some unnecessary contacts.

“W-What are you doing?” Mi Joo stammered, her heart pounding faster at the unexpected intimacy. She was in too much of a shock to do anything about Mark’s gentle touch.

“Oh, sorry about that. There was something on your lips.”

With such close proximity, Mi Joo could clearly see the sparkle on Mark’s brown eyes. Not only that, there was a distinct smell of citrus mixed with spices that she was instantly addicted to. Her cheeks flushed red, the burning sensation going all the way to her ears.

“T-Thanks,” Mi Joo said, averting her eyes. She took a deep calming breath, steadying her thudding heart once Mark was no longer within such closeness.

Ji Soo and Young Jae, who witnessed the entire occurrence, gave each other a knowing look. The two realised something was going on upon noticing Mi Joo’s strange reaction

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter