Chapter 2

One Rainy Day
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Finally!”

Mi Joo was packing her bag when Ji Soo came to her desk, bouncing with excitement.

“It is the end of our first year! Can you believe that? We survive the first year of high school!” Ji Soo continued chattering away while Mi Joo was doing a final check that she had all her belongings.

Hearing Ji Soo’s words, Mi Joo could not believe it as well. She had finished her first year as a high school student. Two more years to go and she would be moving on to the next chapter in her life.

Mi Joo could not help but also wondered about Mark. Had he completed his first year too?

Now that Mi Joo thought about it, it had also been a year since Mark moved out of town. Even after all this time, he still had a place in her heart.

“So, I was thinking we should head to a rice cake place. Or do you want to eat something else?” Mi Joo snapped back to reality upon catching her best friend’s question. This kind of occurrence happened frequently with her suddenly having thoughts about Mark and diving too deep into it. She just could not seem to get him out of her head.

“Um… Sure,” Mi Joo replied with a small smile. She really needed to sort out her mind.

The two were walking down the stairs, chatting about their plans for the holiday when someone accidentally knocked into Mi Joo’s shoulder.

“Myung Eun! Are you coming to our class’s gathering later?”

The girl who bumped into Mi Joo, turned around with an expressionless face and answered in a flat tone, “No.”

Mi Joo followed where the girl was looking at and was surprised to see who it was. She should have known by the familiar loud voice.

Young Jae was also startled to spot his two middle school friends but kept his composure as he continued speaking to this Myung Eun girl. “Today is the last day of class. At least make it to the final event.”

“I do not have any good memories with the class anyways. Bye Young Jae.” Before leaving the scene, Myung Eun said a quick apology to Mi Joo and resumed her way.

With hands in the pocket, Young Jae frowned at the sight. He sighed in disappointment despite knowing what the outcome would be. The upset feeling was soon replaced by an untroubled one when he laid his eyes at the two bystanders, both showed a hint of curiosity.

“Yo,” Young Jae greeted casually.

“What was that?” Ji Soo was the first to start the questioning. She spoke in a teasing manner in which Young Jae returned with a playful eyeroll. The three friends have known each other since middle school so a little joke was harmless.

“Myung Eun is just a friend. Nothing to gossip about.”

“And denial is not just a river in Egypt,” Mi Joo joined in the fun.

Young Jae pretended not to hear and changed the subject immediately. “Anyways, what are you guys doing?”

“Eating some rice cakes. Want to follow us?” Ji Soo offered.

“Thanks but I have a choir meeting soon.” Young Jae bided them goodbyes before leaving in a hurry.

The two proceeded their way out of the school. As they went past the principal’s office, Mi Joo noticed Mr Im Jae Bum, the most popular teacher due to his striking features, talking to the head. Sitting beside him was an unknown figure. She slowed down her pace, trying to catch what the adults were discussing.

“I believe Mark would excel here regardless in studies or co-curriculum activities.”

Mi Joo halted her step at once, causing Ji Soo to stop as well.

“I just remembered I forgot my math textbook. You can go ahead first.” Ji Soo eyed at her best friend suspiciously. She knew something was amiss since she recalled Mi Joo doing a last thorough check. Despite it, she played dumb and left as instructed.

Mi Joo initially thought her ears were playing a trick on her. However, as she eavesdropped the conversation inside the room, she was certain she heard it right. Yet, she did not pin her hopes up because how was she so sure it was that Mark? It was too good to be true.

Making out the sounds of chairs pulling and feet moving, Mi Joo swiftly took out her phone and pretended to be in a call. She tried to act nonchalant while waiting nervously, her heart now beating ten times faster.

A ‘click’ of the door and the three came out but Mi Joo was already nowhere to be seen. She was too terrified and scared of the possibility in meeting Mark. She had no clue on how she would react if she saw him, be it crying or at a loss of words.

Fear got the better of her.

“I wonder who will be in my new class. Hopefully, we will be in the same one again,” Ji Soo said, clasping both hands together to make a prayer.

Since the day the two met,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter