Reunion

Shuffled hearts

 

 One year after.

 

Taemin stands in front of the café where he used to work. It was exactly the same as when he left. The place has a lot of happy memories he cherished and a few sad ones he wished to forget.

 

It’s been a year after Minho requested him to take barista certification and train in Italy. He accepted the offer soon as he was asked, thinking of it as a good chance to forget everything that happened to his relationship with Onew.

 

Though months had passed and he still remembers every details. From that night he left their apartment. How the older looked so desperate, crying and asking for forgiveness. It’s still clear in his mind like it just happened yesterday. And every time he remembers, he still feels the pain.

 

He said he just wanted some time to think and space to breathe. That was the original plan. He never wanted to leave and let Onew out of his life forever. But then he felt he needed more time. He was broken and he had nothing to hold on to, which made him realized that he devoted all his life to his partner and he never saved some for himself. He wanted to grow for his own good that’s why after a month and then 2 months that became a year he never returned neither he contacted Onew or any of his old friends aside from Minho who helped him survived. He was thankful for the guy being a good friend and staying on his side when he needed one the most.

 

“Busy?” He asked the taller guy when he entered the café. Minho is seating at the register and jotting something on the notes like a list of goods to buy. The latter was surprised when he heard Taemin’s voice.

 

“Hey, when did you arrive?” Minho gave him a big smile and then hugged him tightly showing him how he misses the younger.

 

“Just this morning.” He answered. “I went straight here to see you.” He smiled at his friend.

 

“Well you should.” Minho laughed. “After all, I'm still your boss.”

 

“Yeah I know.” The younger chuckled.

 

“So, when are you coming back?” Minho asked. “Do you have a place to stay?”

 

“That's the reason why I'm here. I need a place until I find a new apartment.” Taemin pouted acting cute.

 

“Don't think that cuteness will work on me.” Taemin rolled his eyes. The older giggled. “Okay, okay. You know you can stay at my place anytime.” The younger gave him a big smile, very thankful to have a friend like him.

 

The next day Taemin started to work at the café again. He has a lot of things to catch up since he left for so long. New employees that is younger than before, mostly students doing part time jobs. Being a superior he needs to work twice as harder to support the whole group. But he is happy. The feeling of not depending on someone but your own self is great. Those were the things he was grateful after leaving Onew. He began to cherish more himself and think about his own good first than the others. Though at some point he still wishes there is someone whom he can share all the success that he had for a very short time.

 

He sure misses the guy. It’s the sad truth. He never forgets him. All this time he still wonders what if he didn’t left. What if he stayed and returned to Onew? Will he be happy? There are many questions his heart needed an answer. But then again he thought back. He wasn't ready yet. Not ready to forgive. Not ready to love again.

 

“Hi.” A voice from the entrance door made Taemin turn his head to see a familiar face. “It's been so long since we last met.” He added.

 

“Jonghyun?” Taemin muttered surprised, staring at the older. He didn't change a bit aside from his hair which he dyed dark brown and a dark circles on his eyes.

 

“Sorry if I surprised you.” The older apologized. “I have so much to tell you I didn't got a chance because you left.”

 

“I was the one who called him.” Minho explained after he came out from the kitchen. “He's been looking for you ever since you left, he said he has something to say so I thought you both need to talk.”

 

Taemin didn't expect to see Jonghyun again. He never thought the guy is looking for him or even waiting for his return. There was a little guilt in his heart after seeing the guy. How he left and never told him about what happened to him and Key and Onew. Jonghyun might not yet aware of what had happened. The reason he feels uneasy looking straight into his eyes. Also, he was wondering what does the guy needs in him. Maybe he knows already, and he hates Taemin for hiding or not telling him what he discovers. He was a friend. He should’ve thought about his feelings too. But Taemin was busy thinking about himself at that time he never thought of what other people’s feelings. He was hurt, so much he couldn't care to think of others.

 

“It’s been a while, really.” Jonghyun started.

 

“Yeah.” Taemin answered out of words.

 

“How are you?” Jonghyun asked.

 

“I'm fine. Never been better.” He lied. “Now I can do whatever I want without thinking of what others might think.” He remembers he never told Jonghyun that he left Onew. But then maybe he knew already or someone told him already because the latter was not surprised after he heard Taemin's confession.

 

“Its good to know you're doing fine after what happened. I was really worried.” Taemin gave him a straight face.

 

“So you knew?” He asked Jonghyun. The latte nodded.

 

“That’s the reason why I wanted to see you.” He started. “After Key met you, that night he confessed everything to me. I couldn’t believe what I heard from him. He and Onew, it’s too painful to accept. Onew is my best friend, I never thought it would happen to us.”

 

Taemin listened carefully to every word that is coming out from Jonghyun’s mouth. He can feel the older is in pain. Same as what he had felt when he first found out about the two.

 

“Key left me the same day. I was still in the middle of sinking the realization that is happening in front me that time, I never got the chance to say how I felt about the two. He left soon after he apologized, not even asking for forgiveness. He said I don’t deserve him. That was too painful for me trying to overcome it all by myself.” Jonghyun paused a little thinking about what he would say after. “Then I remember you.” He looked at Taemin’s eyes with all sincerity.

 

The younger can see clearly what Jonghyun is feeling at the moment. The older was alone that time, it’s too painful than what he had felt. At least he had a friend who comforted him. There was Minho who helped him. But with Jonghyun, there was no one. He felt sorry for the man.

 

“I wondered if you feel the same pain as what I was feeling at that time.” Jonghyun continues. “I looked for you, but you were nowhere to be found. Then I realized you ran away. I was worried about you because I know how you feel.”

 

“Jonghyun, I’m sorry I didn’t make time to talk to you about the two.” Taemin uttered. “I was only thinking about myself. I was having a hard time staying here only to remember everything about Onew that’s why I left. I’m really sorry I forgot I was not the only one who was hurt.” His eyes teary and trying to suppress his argue to cry.

 

“It’s not your fault. It wasn’t our fault.” Jonghyun hushed him. The older held his hands and comforted him. “I was relieved to see you’re doing fine. I was really worried about how you handled the pain. You’re still young and I know how you love Onew so much.”

 

“I was surprised at myself too.” The younger confessed. “Being able to live my life without Onew was I thought the lease thing I could do, but here I am still alive and doing things on my on.” Taemin released a big sigh, making his chest relaxed.

 

“Taemin, I have a confession to make.” Jonghyun suddenly uttered. “Can you help me? Because I still can’t forget. It’s too painful.”

 

What can Taemin say? They are just the same. But Jonghyun is more broken. He can on how he look at him. Those eyes were not the same anymore. Its sad and in pain.

 

“I can be a friend. Like before. You don’t need to ask I know how you feel.” Taemin answered sincerely.

 

*****

 

Really sorry for updating so late but don't worry I'll be updating faster now that I have more time. I was just busy lately with other things. This chapter is JongTae. Lately, I was having thoughts about my ending. Of course Onew and Key will appear on the next chapters those 4 characters are the main after all. As much as I would like this to end up as ****** I am having second thought as the story continues. 

 

Thanks for commenting and for reading. This is my first ever chaptered fic and its really special :D

 

This will how JongTae comfort each other keke :D

And this is the cutest JongTae pic I've ever seen :D

And have you seen this one? Taekey were fighting while Jongyu was trying to stop them haha :D