Guilt

Shuffled hearts

“Why?” Onew asked Key.

“Why what?” Key uttered.
“You know what I’m talking about.” Onew returned looking straight to the blonde who sight are on the street outside the window glass from the restaurant.

“It was just an accident.” He replied.

“I told you about me and Taemin’s plan tonight. The reason why I can’t go out with you.” Key still not looking at the guy.

“Okay okay.” He raised his hand in defeat. “I was jealous because you chose to go with him not me. I asked you to watch the movie together but you refused.”

“You know we’ve planned it earlier.” Onew explained. “And I’m not spending too much time with Taemin lately.”

“It’s not my problem!” His voice a little higher. “You’re the one who started it, not me so why am I feeling that I am the one who’s needing your time?” He said angrily.

“It’s not like that.”

“It’s like that!” Key shouted.

“What’s the matter?” Taemin asked confused after he returned from the toilet.

“Uhm...nothing, he was just pissed because our order is taking longer time.” He lied.

“Oh,” Taemin saw the waiter coming on their table. “I think it’s coming.” He told Key, the latter didn’t say anything.

A few minutes after Jonghyun returned to their table. Another silence. The night ended just like that.

*****

Back to their apartment.

“It seems like everybody’s a little tired today.” Taemin says while putting on his pajamas to sleep. Onew is already on the bed reading a book.

“Yeah, I think so too.” He answered.

“I think Key have a problem, he’s not like himself today.” And so is he, Taemin thought.

“Um...maybe.” Onew acted like he’s not interested. “Let’s go sleep.”

“Yeah, very tiring day.” A lot of things happened, Taemin gasped.

*****

It’s the same room they usually check inn. Key and Onew are not in the mood today. They remained silent on their way to the hotel. The room is a little dark and so as their facial expressions. As if both have something to say but they don’t know how to start.

Key sat on the edge of the bed while Onew sat on the couch near the glass window.

“Let’s end this.” Key started, eyes looking straight at Onew’s. The latter remained silent.

“Let’s end this while we still can. We both know we’ll have to separate. We shouldn’t have entered this relationship in the first place.” His voice still in calm mode.

“My conscience is killing me everytime I see Jonghyun and every time I remember Taemin. They did not do wrong to deserve this.”

“Aren’t you gonna say something?” Key’s voice are now higher a little irritated at the silence he’s receiving from Onew.

“I...just don’t know what to say.” He started.

“Well you should at least have something to say, don’t make me feel that it’s me who’s at fault of everything.” Key’s tears started to fall. His voice trembled. All the feelings he is trying to suppressed now he can’t hide it.

“I’m sorry, Key.” Is just what he said.

Onew don’t know how to handle the situation. The fact that he knows he started it all and now he’s making the latter feel more guilty of himself when he should be the one who’s at fault. He hated himself for making Key cry, for lying to Taemin and Jonghyun. But he wanted it. Key is not a mistake, but a choice he took.

“Yes you should be sorry.” Key answered. “But I know I’m at fault too.”

The older came closer to the blonde. They both stood and gave each other a hug. Both were in tears saying their goodbyes.

“I love you, Key.” Onew kissed him for the last time.

“I love you too.” Key kissed back.

“I asked Jonghyun to return to New York.” Key confessed. “Maybe it would be better if we won’t see each other for a while.” Onew hugged him tighter.

“I know. I’m sorry for everything I did. I know I can’t say sorry personally to Jonghyun and I know I’ve been a bad friend to him but I still hope to see you both one day with a pure smile in each faces.” He whispered.

“You’re lucky you have Taemin, don’t let him go again.” Key advised.

“I know.”

*****

Everything is slowly returning back to normal. Aside from few times of spacing out, Onew’s schedule has returned to usual and Taemin is happy about them spending more time together. Both have secrets they don’t want to reveal struggling hard to overcome the problems they have inside. A peaceful sunday morning with a hot coffee is making both in a peaceful mode.

“Want to go somewhere next time?” Onew offered. “Like beach or let’s go travel.”

“Why the sudden invitation?” Taemin asked curious.

“Nothing. It’s just, a lot of things happened lately so fast. And I want to rest for a while.Since work is getting smoother lately.” He explained.

“Yeah, a lot of things happened.” Taemin whispered.

“Uhm?” Onew asked didn’t get what the younger said.

“Um. Nothing. It’s just that we’ve been busy we need to unwind.” He answered. “ Let’s go to the beach.”

*****

That weekend, they decided to go to the beach. Taemin packed a lot of snacks and Onew prepared their fishing rods after they both agreed to go fishing. They prepared their tent too, they are planning to stay for the night.

“It’s good that the weather is fine today. We can enjoy the sunshine and the sea.” Taemin said happily when they arrived at the beach.

“Yeah.” Onew agreed. “First, let’s prepare the tent and the food then let’s go swimming.” He smiled.

He was never felt peaceful like this lately. Though seeing Taemin smiling innocently at him is hurting himself feeling guilty of the secret he can’t tell the younger, he thought it’s better rather than to see him cry in pain of knowing he cheated on him.

After they eat lunch, they swam all day until the sun started to set when they decided to take a rest. They lie down under the sand admiring the beauty of the sunset.

“Taemin...” Onew started.

“Uhm?” Taemin answered.

“I’m sorry. For everything.” He confessed.

“You don’t have to say sorry. It’s not your fault that your work is busy lately.” Taemin thought about Onew feeling sorry about not spending much time with him but the latter mean the other reason. Onew didn’t tell it straight to the younger he just let his tears fell silently.

“I’m sorry too.” Taemin uttered.

“For what?” Onew asked.

“For not thinking about your feelings.” He answered.

“Wrong.” Onew said. “You’ve been so good to me I feel I don’t deserve you.”

“I should be the one who’s saying that.” Taemin said, silent tears also falling from his eyes.

They stayed there looking as the sun was out and darkness covered the sky.

 

*****

 

Yeah I updated twice today. Why do I feel so sad about writing this story? But I know this is what I wanted the story to be, it's just so painful even for me huhu ;(