Heaven and Earth

Zodiac

(YEAR 2018: YEAR OF THE DOG) 

 

All the zodiac dieties had gathered at the banquet for the celebration of a New Year. The "Loyal Dog" stood before them all and is about to recieve the Orb of Good Fortune. This was to be distributed among all mortals born in The Year of The Dog for prosperity all year round.

 

"He really looks like a dog waiting for his treat." The Monkey Deity whispered towards The snickering Snake Deity. 

 

"We should really get him a collar next time to complete the look." The two dieties snickered even more. 

 

The Dog Deity barked at them from his position, making the Snake Deity  let out a hiss. 

The Heavenly Emperor entered the venue with a ray of sunshine seeping from behind him, his mere presence making everyone stand still and settle down. He glared at the dieties present before him. 

 

"Do I need to send another Deity to the mortal world to teach them a lesson?"

 

Everyone was silent. 

 

"Another year has come and I see we have another conflict brewing among ourselves." The emperor eyed each Deity. Not one can look him in the eyes. 

 

"The Year of the Dog has come yet again." The emperor waved his sceptre and suddenly a cloud descended from above, holding the Orb of Good Fortune. 

 

"Distribute this among your people and they shall acquire good fortune all year round." The orb floated towards the Dog Deity who stood still in place. The orb enters his heart and overcomes him. Lights of purple fill the room and scatter into millions of streaks of light, distributing themselves towards the mortal world. 

 

 

Each streak of light enters each human born in the Year of the Dog. The Good Fortune chooses no gender, social class or belief. It guides them with the help of the Zodiac Dieties, watching over them from the Heavenly Palace. 

 

---

 

After the distribution of Good Fortune, the dieties return to their spirit forms, guiding each of their people on land. 

 

Kwon Jiyong, the Rat Deity, paced himself towards his home. 

 

"Hey, Rat!" The Rabbit Deity, Tokki, called out. 

 

Jiyong stopped in his tracks and sighed. 

 

"Where are you going in such a rush?!" Tokki was then behind him. "You have to help me pair one of my humans with yours. You know how our signs are a best match." 

 

Jiyong tried to force a smile as he turned to face her. 

 

"Ah, yes. I'll get back to you once I finish one of my projects. You're a best match with Won Soong-i (Monkey Deity) too. Try talking with him first.  Bye!" 

 

He turned quickly to make his escape but was halted once again by Tokki who had jumped in front of him before he could take another step. 

 

"WHAT?" The rat couldn't contain his annoyance any longer.

 

She eyed him as if reading his thoughts and crossed her arms across her chest. "You're up to something again." 

 

"I don't know what you're talking about. Now, move."  Jiyong pushed her aside and continued on his way. 

 

"I'm just warning you. You can't blame yourself  every time for what happened to Min Yang. It was her choice and fate." 

 

He froze in place again. His expression hardened at the memory of the ill-fate of one of his dearest friends, the Ram Deity. His gaze lowered towards the ground. 

 

"You've been following her family line for centuries already. Your people need your guidance as well."

 

"I know." He straightened himself and cleared his throat. "But my conscience will never rest until I break that curse. Until then, our system will always be in chaos." 

 

"This is their fate - "

 

"Stop already." Jiyong's glared at the Rabbit Deity, shutting her up. "Continue to guide your people and I'll guide mine as well."

 

With that, he left the silent Rabbit and continued on his way home. He locked his doors once he reached home and hurried towards The Fountain of Present Events. Right then, her face appeared. The heir to the Ram Deity. 

 

---

Jiyong had no idea why he was called to meet with the Heavenly Emperor. He was sure he wasn't violating anything. Was it because he knew who the heir to the Ram Deity was?

 

He reached the office of the Emperor who had his back towards him. He was watching each orb that was placed in order of the zodiac signs. Jiyong eyed the space between the Horse and the Monkey. 

 

"Jiyong," the eerily deep and intriguing voice of the emperor echoed through out the cave, sending shivers down the Rat Deity's spine. "how have your people been doing?"

 

Jiyong hesitated a bit as he thought of a good response. "You're highness, they have been well under my guidance. You have nothing to worry about." 

 

He hears the emperor chuckle in response. "Really? That's not what I've been seeing."

 

The Rat Deity lifted his head in curiousity. He couldn't read what the Emperor was thinking. 

 

"What did you see?"

The emperor pointed towards the empty space between the Horse and Monkey Orbs. "You know quite well why this spot is empty. But... have you ever wondered if the Ram's Orb still existed?"

 

Having no response from the Rat Deity, the Emperor continued. "For many years after that dreadful event, every human born under the Year of the Ram have never received Good Fortune. That was because their Guardian decided to abandon them. She thought living among them would remove that guilt inside of her but you see...it just made things worse. We were fated to be their Dieties so there would be order in this system. One change can already affect the destiny of one person."

 

"Why are you telling me this?" Jiyong clenched his fists subtly. 

 

The emperor's eyes narrowed. "Because I know what you're up to. I also see what you see." 

 

Jiyong stiffened but tried to keep his composure. 

 

"Ever since that child was born, her fate was already decided. You cannot change it. She will follow the same fate as Min Yang and you know it."

 

"What if I interfere?" 

 

"And for how long will you keep interfering? You cannot protect her forever just like all the heirs before her." 

 

Jiyong expression darkened as he recalled each of the heirs he had tried to protect but had  all eventually failed. The Emperor started walking slowly towards the Deity with full seriousness. He stopped just in front of him so they were face to face. 

 

"You are not her guardian." 

 

"Then who is?!" The heart of the Rat Deity did not waver. At that point, he didn't care if he had just raised his voice at the Heavenly Emperor. He cleared his throat. "Someone has to do it."

 

They stared down eachother until the Emperor finally broke their gaze and let out a heavy sigh. He walked back towards the colorful orbs.

"There is another way." 

 

Jiyong eyed the Emperor skeptically as he walked over to stand beside him. 

 

"I always knew you were protecting that family but I've always looked the other way because I know you mean well. Every daughter of Min Yang's family line born on the Year of the Ram is automatically a potential heir to being the Ram Deity. You've seen them struggle. If only we can restore the Ram Deity's Orb of Good Fortune, we could be able to restore the order in our Zodiac system and of course..." The Emperor faced the Deity who was trying to understand the intent of his Emperor. "... free Min Yang's descendants of the curse."

 

"What do you want me to do?" Jiyong knew there was something more to what the Emperor was telling him. 

 

The Emperor chuckled aloud. "You're really smart, Rat." His expression slowly became serious as he gestured towards the space between the Monkey and Horse Orbs. "Find it and we'll all come towards peace."

 

Jiyong still could not comprehend. He eyed the empty slot. He had so many questions and finally he brought himself to speak. "Why now? All these years you could have searched for it but why now?"

 

Calmy, the Emperor answered. "Our Zodiac is dying, Jiyong. We need the Ram's Orb for us to continue existing or else... we disappear and our purpose becomes meaningless. That's why I called you here today. Only you can save us."

 

"Why me?" The Rat Deity was still confused to it all.

 

"Only you have the heart to be their guardian. Isn't that what you said?" He placed both of his hands on the Deity's shoulders and stared down at him. "Someone has to do it." 

 

---

 

The magnified scenery of the night sky glowed prettily above her. Gazing up at the stars have always calmed her down. Dara adjusted herself comfortably on the floor of her apartment's rooftop. She had specifically requested the room of the rooftop so she could have the roof all to herself. 

She was a university student, Major in Literature. She sometimes visits her mother and grandmother who live in Busan as well. Her father had married her mother for money and eventually left them. It turned out, her father had another family before them. 

 

Before he left, her parents were in a heated argument and usually he always vent out his anger towards her and her mother. She hid in the closet like always but she could still hear her parents arguing. She remembered this one night her father had found her which frightened her even more and made time stood still. She knew she would get a beating to release his anger. As always she begged for help. Anyone. Anyone who can help her. After a while, she heard her father screaming. To her surprise, she saw her father running out of the house with a swarm of rats running after him. What she had saw next was still clear in her memory yet it seemed like a dream. She saw one rat slowed down and transformed into a human. Though his face wasn't clear due to the bright light nearly blinding her, she still recalled him wearing a long grey coat and his hair styled neatly. He looked human yet didn't seem like it. Before she could say anything, she watched him disappear, leaving a trail of blue smoke. 

 

From then on, her mother was able to file a divorce. They lived comfortably ever since then but her grandmother's stories of the legends of the Zodiac had always entertained her. She had once asked if there did exist a rat who took the form of a human. Her grandmother had never given her a clear answer. She would always say, "Our guardians never abandoned us." She didn't understand what that was supposed to mean. Her mother would tell her to just go along with her stories since her grandmother is getting older. Somehow though, they didn't seem like just stories but they felt like true events by the way her grandmother would tell them to her. 

 

"Hello." A voice of a man suddenly called out, breaking her train of thought.

 

She quickly turned towards where the voice had came from. On the roof top of the building across from her, stood a man probably around her age. He wore a buttoned shirt tucked neatly and his sleeves rolled midway, showing off his manly arms, black jeans and his hair gelled up. He was smiling at her, waving. 

 

He seemed familiar. Dara hadn't realized she was just staring at him until he spoke again. 

 

“The stars looks so far from this point of view.” He had this boyish grin as he stared up at the night sky full of stars. 

 

Who was he? Has he been there all this time? 

 

"Uh..." She stared questioningly at him.

 

He made himself comfortable on the floor and kept his gaze on her. "I'm Kwon Jiyong. I just moved in." 

 

"Ahh... I’m new here too."  She smiled awkwardly. She really found him familiar.

 

She always knew the apartment next door was abandoned. How was it possible for  someone to move in so quickly? She eyed the strange man questioningly. Before she could ask, he answered.

 

"I bought the place. It was sad to see it go to waste." 

 

He bought the whole building??

 

"Are you some Chaebol running away from home?" 

 

He let out a light laugh. "I guess you can say that." 

 

The cool breeze blew against his hair as he smiled up to the sky. How can anyone look so perfect?

 

Wait. What?? Dara shooed her ridiculous thoughts away and smoothly recovered. 

 

"Well anyway... nice to meet you. I'm going to bed." She bowed and quickly paced back to her room. 

 

The man stood from his spot and watched as Dara scurry back to her room. He sighed as he brought his gaze back to the night sky. "Everything will be back in order, Min Yang. I promise." 

 

The orders of the Heavenly Emperor echoed in his head. "Find the Ram Deity's Orb and peace and order shall come upon us again." It's possibly in her home but where? He couldn't sense it at all. 

 

Right then, it started to rain. 

 

----

 

"This kid isn't up yet?" From all those years he had watched her as a guardian, he always knew she wasn’t a morning person. The perks of being a Deity really can be useful. He shook his head in disbelief towards Dara's apartment. "What would you do without me?" 

 

He breathes in heavily and did some stretches before moving his fingers in a circular motion. Glitters of blue trailed towards Dara's apartment, through her door, then towards the sleeping girl. He motions his hand and the glitters of blue form a feather, tickling her awake but Dara doesn't budge. 

 

He clicked his tongue in disbelief. “Really??” 

 

After several attempts, he thinks of another way. He then motioned the glitters towards the kitchen, picking up a glass of water and guiding it above the girl's head. 

 

"3...2...1" He snapped his fingers with a smirk and then a shriek was heard. 

 

---

 

(Dara's POV)

 

"YAAAHHHHH!!!" Dara woke instantly from the cold water that was poured on her face. She looked around her apartment but there was no one around. "How??" 

 

"Omo..." Her eyes widened as she then realized the time. "I'm late!!!" 

 

She hurriedly got out of bed and grabbed her bag. She jumped towards the front of her mirror and scrutinized her face and sniffed her shirt. "Hmm... still good." And she ran out the door. 

 

The train was already crowded! I managed to squeeze myself in just in time. I check the time and just 5 minutes left before my first class! The train was so packed, I was too close to one man behind me.

 

Ewwwwww... why?? Okay, it's just a 5 minute ride, Dara. Just ignore...

 

But wait... I feel a hand on my bottom?? My blood boiled then. "YAAA!!!" 

 

Before I could say anything else, the ert behind me starts yelling in pain. His hand looked as if it were being twisted. 

 

Omo. He must be crazy.

 

Just in time, we reach my stop and I ran out as quickly as possible. I could still hear the ert yelling in pain. I shrug it off and continue running to class. 

 

Aisssh... I already promised Mr. Lee I wouldn't be late anymore but here I am again, as if running a marathon. I ran down the hallway, nearly bumping each person in my way, to which I received several cusses. I finally reach our lecture room and... 

 

MR. LEE HASN'T ARRIVED YET!!! YESSSS!

 

I smoothly take my seat next to Hayi. 

 

"Dara! This is a first!" Hayi exclaimed. We high-fived each other. 

 

"I feel like I'm a changed woman starting today. I can feel it." I grinned widely.

 

I guess today is my lucky day. Hehehe. 

 

----

 

"I really have a hard time recalling the faces of my past students. I'm sorry." The professor bowed. 

 

"Oh. It's alright." Jiyong smoothly replied as he watched Dara running her way into the lecture room from his peripheral view. "But anyway, it was nice to see you again, Mr. Lee." He gave the professor a warm smile. 

 

"Nice meeting you too. I'll try my best to get back to you after my lecture." They both bowed to each other and by the time Mr. Lee had reached the room, Jiyong let out a sigh of relief. 

 

"This girl is a handful." He shook his head and peeked though the glass window. He spots her busy on her phone. "Aishh... that dating app again." 

 

He was about to disrupt her messaging until someone had tapped him. 

 

"Excuse me, are you looking for someone? I go to this class, maybe I can help you." A thin girl with long dark hair greeted him. 

 

"Uh.." He planned his visit to the mortal world to be discrete but here he was interacting with mortals. He straightened himself up as he thought of an excuse.  “No. I was just passing by." He smiled politley and turned to leave. 

 

"I've never seen you around campus before."

 

Jiyong stiffens but maintains his composure as he turned back to the girl. 

 

"My name is Jooyeon." She was smiling shyly at him. "Which department are you from?" 

 

“I’m… an alumni." Great. Now what? 

 

-------

 

She hid her phone and rested her head on her hands. 

 

"Psst..." 

 

Her head turned towards Hayi, who was looking at her judgingly.

 

"What?"

 

"You're still on that dating app?" 

 

"Yes I am. So what? I'm bored." Dara faced forward and ignored her best friend. 

 

"Aahhh.. you are really stubborn."  

 

"Sssshh." Dara placed her finger against her lips as if telling her friend to shut up to which her best friend rolls her eyes in defeat.

 

"Ooooh. Who's that??"

 

Hayi was pointing towards the glass window. It was that new neighbor of hers talking to their department's Honor student. Dara's eyes widen in surprise. Why was he here?

 

"Is he Jooyeon's boyfriend? He's handsome!" 

 

 So he's taken huh? Pshh… as if I was interested anyway. Tchh wait why am I even thinking about this??

 

Dara adjusted herself in her seat, looking uninterested. "He just moved in next door. I forgot his name."

 

"He's your neighbor??" Her friend's eyes sparkled but Dara was indifferent. "Can I come over??"

 

"Aisssh... you're so noisy." Dara pointed towards Mr. Lee who was completely unaware of the inattention of the students and continued to lecture on ancient literature. 

 

She tried her best to listen to the lecture but she had that sudden urge to peek if he was still there. She side-eyed the window but then he was already gone. 

 

What was his name again?

 

----

 

(Jiyong's POV)

 

Finally I managed to escape that girl! I need to be able to follow the heir while being less obvious. Heavenly Emperor didn’t say I wasn’t allowed to use my powers. A smirk crawls on my face. I made myself invisible to the mortal world and made my way back to her classroom. Being a deity does really have its perks.

 

Just in time, their classes were over. I watched as she and her friend leave the room and I followed closely behind. I was already in close proximity with the girl but I couldn't sense any sign of the orb around her. 

 

"Introduce me to your new neighbor, okay??" Her friend was clinging on to her. She was probably talking about me. "Maybe he's still around here." 

 

Analyzing this girl's background, she's a descendant of the Dog. Pushy and needy. 

 

"Aren't you seeing someone right now?" 

 

"He doesn't even seem interested." The girl frowned. "But according to my horoscope this year, I'll finally be meeting my true match. It says the best match for me is either those born under the Year of the Horse or Tiger. He was born under the year of the Rat so I guess that explains why we don't match." 

 

The girl suddenly grabbed Dara by the arms. "That's why you need to introduce me to your neighbor. I need to know his zodiac sign." 

 

Nope. We are no match, my dear. 

 

"I thought you don't believe in those horoscopes? And besides, he's not even that handsome." 

 

Wait. What? Is this girl really talking about me? Not even that handsome??  I let out a laugh in disbelief. 

 

Suddenly I hear a gasp. 

 

"Neighbor?" 

 

I look back to see a surprised expression on her face. I stared back in surprise. She could see me? How??

 

"Uh..." I'm sure I made myself unseen to the mortal world. How was it possible that she could see me??  "Are you talking to me?” Pointing at myself. 

 

She folded her arms across her chest. "I'm sure it's you. You're  the one who just moved into the building next door, right?"

 

She could really see me! 

 

“Do you go to this university too?”

 

I was too surprised to answer.

 

"Unnie... sorry but... who are you talking to?" Her friend gave her a weird look.

 

I waved my hand in front of her friend's face but it seemed like she couldn't see me. 

 

"My neighbor. The one you wanted to meet. He's right here." Dara pushed her friend, who was now looking horrified. "This is my friend, Lee Hayi and this is..." 

 

She hesitates then looks back at me. "Ah... I'm sorry. What was your name again?"

 

"Kwon Jiyong." 

 

“There.” She slings her arm around her friend’s shoulder. “His name is Kwon Jiyong. Now  let’s get it over with and ask for his zodiac sign."

 

The poor girl looked so scared as she stared back at Dara. "U-unnie..." She pointed her finger towards my direction. "There's no one there..." 

 

Dara gave the girl a puzzled look. "What are you talking about??” The heir started to laugh while her friend continued to stare at her like she was mad. "He's right here! See!" Suddenly, I felt my cheeks being poked. 

 

Her friend looked even more horrified as she shook her head. "Dara... you're scaring me."

 

She looks back at her friend questioningly then back towards me. “You’re not kidding…” She backs away slowly. 

 

I breathe out sharply. It has only been a day in the mortal world and I was already worn out but I can't be discovered just like this. I was busy thinking of a way out of the situation until I felt someone grab my hand and the next thing I knew I was being dragged by Dara. 

 

"Hey! Dara! Where are you going???" Her friend called out but this girl ignored her. She looked mad? Is she mad? I never knew a thin girl like her could have such great strength. She continued to pull me with her towards the back of a building that looked secluded. There weren't much students around.

 

"Excuse me, Miss, but where are we going?” I asked her calmly. 

 

She stopped in her tracks and looked back at me with a scowl. This girl definitely has anger issues. She pulled me into an empty alley behind the building and I hit my back against the brick wall of the building. I swear if I had not promised to be this girl's guardian, I would have taught her a lesson by now!

 

She crossed her arms and looked at me from top to bottom as if trying to solve a puzzle. "What are you? Why can't my friend see you?"

 

I straighten myself and stared down at her. "I'm your neighbour. Are you sure she can’t see me?” 

 

“Just answer my question!" 

 

How is this girl a descendant of the sweet, tender, and loving, Ram Deity??

 

“Dara!” We hear a familiar voice shout. We both turn our heads simultaneously towards her friend who was running to our direction.

 

I inwardly sigh in defeat. Things are getting out of hand. With a snap, I was able to make myself visible again just in time before her friend had reached us. 

 

“There you are! What’s happening with — “ The girl stopped mid sentence in surprise once she saw us. She gasped as she ran towards Dara and pulled her close to her. “Is he that neighbour you’re talking about?” I heard her whisper.

 

I smiled and waved at the girl then my eyes met Dara's who looked completely lost I wanted to burst out laughing  at how confused she was!

 

“You can see him???” 

 

The girl nodded. 

 

“But —” 

 

Right then, I accidentally snorted. I couldn’t help it! She looked so confused! 

 

“DO YOU FIND THIS FUNNY?!?” Her glares felt like I was being stabbed. 

 

I tried to suppress my laughter and cleared my throat. “I’m sorry. I think we just had a misunderstanding.” I extend my hand towards her. “Why don’t we start over? I’m Kwon Jiyong.” I give her the most genuine smile. 

 

She still had a scowl on her face as she looked at my hand then at me then back at my out stretched hand. Slowly, she took my hand then shook it briefly. “Dara Park.” She folded her arms. She still looked uneasy. My eyes caught her eyes and I couldn’t help but realise she resembles so much of the past Ram Deity, Min Yang. Her front may seem stubborn but her inner being is kind and pure.

 

I realise then I’d been staring at her for too long when I felt her friend clung onto my arm. 

 

“And I’m her friend, Lee Hayi.” She squeezed my arm tighter and smiled at me like I was come kind of treat. 

 

I loosen off from her grip with a polite smile. “Nice to meet you.” 

 

From my peripheral vision, I could see Dara eyeing me. 

 

There’s still something wrong here. I don’t trust this guy at all. 

 

I hear her thoughts. 

 

Since my plan of watching over her and finding that orb while being unnoticed was now ruined, I guess I needed to try a different approach by getting close with the girl. 

 

“Why don’t we go home together since we’re neighbors?” 

 

——

 

(Dara’s POV)

Our eyes met. There was definitely something off. I just couldn’t place my finger on it. He looked normal though. The way he looked at me seemed different too; like he wasn’t just some stranger I just happened to have met. Somehow, my heart fluttered or maybe I just thought it did. Am I this lonely??

 

“And I’m her friend, Lee Hayi.”

 

Hayi’s voice brought me back to my senses and I immediately divert my eyes away from his. 

 

There’s still something wrong here. I don’t trust this guy at all.

 

“Why don’t we go home together since we’re neighbors?” I hear him offer. 

 

Home? Are we all of a sudden best friends?? Psshhh… who does this guy think he is?

 

“Actually, Hayi and I have plans today.” I pull Hayi along with me. “You can go by yourself.” 

 

I ignored Hayi’s protests and pulled her along with me, leaving the strange man. When we were already far from him, I look back to make sure he wasn’t following. He just stood in place watching us with a small smile on is lips. 

 

“Why did you turn down his offer?? That could have  been a great opportunity to get to know him.” 

 

“Don’t you find him a bit strange?” I then recalled Hayi saying he couldn’t see him a while back. “You really couldn’t see him before you found us behind the building?”

 

Her friend thought for a bit then shook her head. “Hmm… maybe I’m the one going crazy. I can’t remember.” She shrugged. 

 

He looked familiar though. “Ah, forget it.” I tried to dismiss the idea and shooed the thoughts away. I think I need to pay grandma a visit.