The Unlucky Ram

Zodiac

The 12 zodiac signs were represented by dieties of royal blood. The Goddess of the Year of the Ram was a kind-hearted Deity who had always witnessed the struggles of the mortal world due to hunger. She would once in a while visit the mortal world during her allowed visiting hours between 1pm - 3pm (Time of the Sheep) and secretly share some grains from the Heavenly Palace despite knowing it was forbidden.  During her visits to the mortal world, she had met a noble man who was born under one of her destined enemies, the Year of the Rat, Prince So. They had known the consequences of their love but had thought that the greatest power in the world was love. The Deity had loved him so much that she promised him anything his heart desired and so the Prince proposed to her. As soon as she decided to marry, she discovers the Prince did not truly love her in return but had used her love to acquire the throne thru her godly powers. Heartbroken, the sheep Deity returned to the Heavenly Palace where she was locked out by the Heavenly Emperor due to her disobedience. She was sent back to the mortal world to live as a mortal.

Despite her broken heart she never thought of revenge because in her heart, her love for the Prince who had become King was still true. She lived her life as a mortal but due to her generosity and popularity with the farmers, they have all requested she remain in the Zodiac Calendar. She  spent her days in the grasslands of the mortal world and there she helped the people plant and farm. King So had learned of her status as a mere mortal and had felt relieved that no harm could possibly come his way. He one day visits the farmer's land where she was living so he can confirm the rumors of the Sheep Deity. Upon seeing him, her heart was filled with delight and love that she paced towards him only to be pushed back by the royal guards. The King's eyes showed no hint of concern or love for the Deity. Seeing the grasslands, he then announced that he will be seizing the grasslands from the farmers. The people protested as this was their only source of living. King So ignored their pleas and the pain on the people's faces had suddenly sparked the anger and hatred in the Deity's heart. She stood up and took her stand against the King's royal decree. The King then ordered death to anyone who stands in his way but the people had gone in chaos to protect their land. The royal guards had started attacking those who attempted to go against the King. The Deity could no longer stand seeing the people suffer and thus told the King to take her life instead and she'll promise him anything he desired. The King had scoffed at her plea, thinking she was powerless and was just a mortal but played along to her request. 

 

"The mortal world has made you bolder, my Deity." He laughed mockingly at her. "You are even making promises you have no power of keeping." 

 

"I promise." Her eyes were cold. No hint of kindness left in them. "I always keep my promises. You know that."

 

The King froze in place then slowly smirked as he drew out his sword pointing towards her. "You swear even if it will cost your life?"

 

The Deity remained calm, her eyes never leaving his. "I promise." She said firmly. "Now what is your wish?"

 

King So dropped his sword and stared down at her. "The stories of your generosity towards the people have been touching. I think it would be more fair if they have reached me as well."

 

He walked towards the crops. "Grant me a life that will never go hungry. Supply us through the years with abundant grains of the Heavenly Palace. If not..." He turned back towards her and smiled. "You die here and left forgotten."

 

Tears rolled down her face as she nodded in agreement to his terms. Her heart broken by the words of the man she had once loved. 

 

"I'll give you until sunrise to fill these lands with grains or prepare for your death."

 

The King left with his men, leaving a broken Deity. The people all questioned her how will it be possible to fulfill the King's request with her powers stripped away? She stared up at the night sky and called out help to the Animal Dieties as well as Heavenly Emperor only to be given no response. 

 

Sunrise had came and the Deity was still seen in the middle of the meadows staring up at the heavenly sky. The people had already packed and prepared their things knowing there was no hope left for them. King So arrives by sunrise and sees no change in the number of crops on the fields. He then ordered her death where she then died on the soil that produced the fruits of the people's hard work. The people mourned of her death but then a ray of light suddenly seeped thru the sky and covered the fields with abundant crops of grain. All of the fields were filled which brought shock to the people, including King So. The Deity's body had disappeared along with the ray of light that had shined down on them. 

 

The greed of the King had increased and so he ordered all the crops of grain to be distributed only within the royal family and starving the poor. The King had organised a feast for all the royal family that night. They were celebrating using the grains from the Heavenly Palace but what they did not expect was that these grains were poison, killing every single royal blood line. 

 

Watching above them was the Sheep Deity. She couldn't find herself to smile despite acquiring her revenge. It wasn't her nature to seek vengeance. The rest of the Animal Zodiacs and the Heavenly Emperor tried to reassure and remind her of the cruel nature of the mortals. She was filled with so much guilt that she firmly decided that she wanted to live among the mortals who had always warmly accepted her. With a heavy heart, the Heavenly Emperor agreed to her request and stripped away her powers. 

 

The Rat Deity who had stayed mum throughout the events that had occurred and filled with guilt, wanted to restore the order in the system of the zodiac. He and the rest of the animal zodiacs vowed to guide every mortal towards their destined fate and that no "Unlucky Ram" shall fall for a "Trickster Rat". 

 

As for the Sheep Deity, she eventually married another Year of the Rat with whom she experienced the pain of betrayal again which will continue throughout her future family line who are born under the Year of the Ram. Despite this, she continued to pass her stories of the Heavenly Palace from generation to generation.