not a Bae

maybe it’s not our fault

It’s the next morning and Seungwan still can’t believe she received a smile from her step sister last night.  It shouldn’t be such a big deal since she’s swore to herself not to really care about the older girl but that expression, she has never seen and it kind of haunted her all through the night.  Just, kind of.

She wonders what it would be like to see Joohyun’s smile once more.

“What am I even thinking?” she asks herself in the mirror, “You don’t want to see her smile again,” she convinces herself, tightening her school necktie.

She takes a last look at herself in the mirror before grabbing her school bag.

“Bubbles, come on,” Seungwan calls for her dog. They both go out of her room and go downstairs.

“Mom, I’m off,” Seungwan shouts, waving goodbye to her mother, almost running towards the door, “Please take care of Bubbles—”

“Don’t you think it’s too early for school?” her mother asks as she prepares breakfast, stopping Seungwan from her tracks.

Seungwan groans. She has planned to just wave goodbye, walk out of the house, get to her bike, and ride off. She is trying to avoid questions.

“I know,” she faces her mother from afar, scratching her head.

“And?” her mother gives her a look, now serving breakfast to her step sister.

Joohyun was looking at her but quickly averts her eyes when they meet Seungwan’s.

Seungwan sighs, “I have to meet with coach Ahn before start of class.”

“Didn’t you meet with him yesterday? After classes?” her mother completely stops from preparing the breakfast, turning to Seungwan, hands on the hips.

“I—, I met the team, yes,” she lies, looking at her step sister who was with her in detention yesterday, after classes, “There are just some stuff that needs to be discussed now,” she reasons out. It’s the truth anyway, since she didn’t get to meet her coach due to detention, she has to meet him today before classes.

“I don’t like that, he shouldn’t be taking most of your time, or anyone’s time,” her mother utters tsk, expressing disapproval, “I will talk to him about this,” she says, shaking her head, and continues to prepare food.

“No need, Mom,” Seungwan almost shouts, she clears and continues, “Fall tournament is coming so we need so much time, I’ll still talk to him about it though, don’t worry… Can I go now?”

“Have breakfast first?”

“Mom,” she whines, “I’ll have breakfast at school.”                              

“Fine, just be careful on your way.”

“Yes, ma’am,” she smiles sheepishly at her mother, saluting like a soldier, “See ya, bubbles.”

Bubbles barks in response.

“Just tell Mr Bae, I went out already,” Seungwan advises her mother and then looks one more time at Joohyun who is eating her breakfast quietly, “Bye,” Seungwan whispers to herself.

Seungwan lets out a deep sigh when she exits the house, she is afraid her mother would find out about the detention. Although she knew her mother will understand because it wasn’t like she had actually done anything to get into detention, she just doesn’t want any issues to start between her mother and the school. 

 

-

 

It was her father who made her into golf. Seungwan will always remember the times when her father would bring her with him whenever he played with his friends or business partners, she was always fascinated by him. People can call her biased but her father was the best at the sport. He was no pro but he loved the sport and played it real good.

Time eventually came for middle school and Seungwan asked her father she’d like to go to a school where there’s a varsity golf team. Middle and High school golf isn’t big in South Korea, most schools that join a national school tournament are only the most prestigious ones and there are only few.

Her parents then enrolled her to ReVe Middle School. Her father personally trained her ever since she was a child but that lasted until his passing, she was in first year of middle school. Seungwan remembers how her father was not entirely himself in the last few months of his life, he didn’t play anymore and was just training her.

When that time her father passed, Seungwan’s life crumbled. She loved him dearly. He was what people calls an “idol” to her. He was her role model. Because of that loss, she stopped playing golf, quit the varsity team, and entirely focused on her studies.

Until she met Coach Ahn in high school. He turned out to be a personal friend of her father. Coach Ahn knew her and convinced her to join his team. It took a lot of time and effort for her coach until she finally agreed and he became like a second father to her.

Seungwan spots her coach as she walks into the school’s golf course. The school has their very own golf course, it isn’t big but an enough space to practice in. It was a vacant lot in the school’s premises and was just later designed to be a course.

“How’s detention?” coach Ahn asks teasingly as she approaches him.

Seungwan rolls her eyes, “Come on, Coach,” she whines.

“What?” he asks innocently.

“You gonna punish me?”

“I’m actually proud of you, this is your first detention.”

“There shouldn’t be a first time,” she sighs, getting in the golf cart, “I wasn’t part of the fight.”

“Well, did you tell Moon?” he asks while inspecting the golf club in his hands.

“I did, but he’s…” a grown man who wouldn’t listen to a student, she groans at her thought, “Never mind.”

Coach Ahn turns to her, now standing with the golf club, “Do I need to talk to him?” he asks, furrowing his brows, showing concern.

“No need,” Seungwan shakes her head, “Didn’t affect any of my records.”

“You sure?”

“Yeah, anyway, what did I miss yesterday?”

“Well, I discussed to the team that we will have a weekly plan in place for practices, meaning, we will be focusing in one same thing in a week.”

“That’s better than doing different things every day.”

“You got it,” he smiles, pointing at her, “so for this week, starting later today, we will be doing the classic 3—club challenge.”

They went on the discussion and in the middle of it, Seungwan looks around and realizes another thing she loves about high school golf.  In this big enough course that is surrounded by big trees, it was just her and coach Ahn. Few, if not, no students are interested enough to actually watch golf practice probably because they don’t understand the sport and most of them think it is uncool. Unlike soccer or basketball, most boys understands and loves those sports so they watch, most girls may not understand but they still watch because they find those sweating varsity players hot. Boys watch cheerleading practices too because you know why, girls do watch too, because you know why.

Seungwan honestly loves it because she can practice in peace, plus, she doesn’t like attention at all.

 

-

 

The first thing Joohyun always does before start of class is making her way to the golf course, well, except yesterday. Im Nayeon was getting on her nerves the whole summer break so she just wanted to get over with it.

She walks underneath the huge tree and sits down on the grass. This is her and her friends’ favourite spot in the campus because the tree is a little out of vision as there are some trees covering it, hiding them from basically everyone and also no one really goes to the course expect for the golf players and coaches. School guards would normally check the golf course from time to time but Joohyun and her friends have memorized the schedule so they know when to and when not to go to their spot.

Joohyun pulls out an already rolled up joint from her blazer pocket and places it between her lips as she pulls a lighter out and lights it up. She takes a hit from the joint and blows smoke out.

She sees Seungwan talking to her coach. She always sees Seungwan in this very spot ever since first year of high school back when she didn’t know her name, then she knew her name, then she discovered their parents were dating, and then now that their parents are married.

 “Yo,” someone’s voice says, making Joohyun jumps slightly at the voice and looks up. She gives the girl an annoyed expression.

“Geez, Seul, stop doing that,” she shakes her head, looking back to her step sister’s direction.

“You stop being jumpy,” Seulgi states, sitting down beside her.

Joohyun rolls her eyes, “How can you stop someone from—” she stops when she noticed that Seungwan and her coach are now walking. “Seul,” She calls for her friend.

“Yes?”

“Can you like give this to her?” She asks, handing a lunchbox over to Seulgi as she nods her head towards her step sister’s direction.

“Is this a ing lunchbox?” Seulgi takes the thing, laughing, “Aww you taking good care of your little sister, huh.”

“Her mom made it, just ing give it to her.”

“Hmm, I’d like to taste what her mother made,” Seulgi smirks, and Joohyun knows exactly that her friend’s statement has a double meaning because she knew for sure Seulgi has thing for Seungwan.

Joohyun squints her eyes to take clearer view, Seungwan is walking back to the golf cart, it seems like she left something. Now her step sister is alone.

“Cut it out, Seul,” she says in an annoyed way, grabbing the lunchbox, “Let me do it,” Joohyun stands up, taking one more hit off the joint before holding it down to Seulgi.

Seulgi takes the joint from Joohyun, “I’m kidding, let me hand the ing lunchbox to her.”

Joohyun rolls her eyes but doesn’t comment, making her way to Seungwan who is already looking at her direction.

Seungwan is looking at her suspiciously when she handed the lunchbox over to her.

“Your breakfast,” Joohyun states and explains, “Your mom was sure you won’t have breakfast so she told me to bring you that.”

The shorter girl nods but still has the suspicious look in her face.

“What?”

“Did you just smoke there?” Seungwan asks in a whisper as if someone else will hear her.

“Yes,” Joohyun answers nonchalantly making the younger girl gasps.

“What if coach Ahn sees you? Or anyone?”

Joohyun shrugs with a bored expression, “Well, he didn’t see me. No one has seen me.”

Seungwan moves closer to Joohyun, scrunches her nose and sniffs the older girl.

Joohyun stiffens at the sudden action and the proximity between them but is trying her best to avoid Seungwan’s face, “What are you doing?”

“I thought you’d smell bad,” Seungwan mumbles.

Joohyun scoffs.                                 

Seungwan moves away, making Joohyun breathes easier. “Thank you for this,” the shorter girl then says, holding up the lunch box and is about to walk away but Joohyun stops her.

“You didn’t tell them?”

“Tell what who?” Seungwan frowns.

“Detention, my dad, your mom,” Joohyun answers simply.

“I don’t want mom to worry.”

“Good,” Joohyun nods, turning around to walk back to Seulgi. She is always in trouble but still worries about her father finding out all the crazy stuff she’s been doing because he knows what a punishment is.

Then Seungwan is suddenly standing in front of her, stopping her from tracks.

“I didn’t tell them because I don’t want to get in trouble and I don’t want mom to worry about something I didn’t do.”

“Okay?” Joohyun raises an eyebrow, confused as to where this is going.

“So, if ever you’re in trouble and in detention again and I’m made aware of that. I’m sorry, I may have to tell them. Please understand that we live under the same roof, whether we both like it or not, we’re step sisters, basically, you are my responsibility as I am your responsibility. If something bad happens to you or to me and our parents didn’t know about it and later find out about it, it’s going to be no one but our fault.”

Seungwan didn’t even breathe when she said that. Joohyun is just staring at her step sister, mouth agape before letting out a chuckle, “I’m always in trouble,” she states.

“Then, you might want to lessen that,” Seungwan says with a smile, patting Joohyun’s shoulder before turning to walk away.

Joohyuns looks over to Seulgi’s direction to see their other friends are now with the latter. They are all glancing between her and Seungwan who is walking away from her. Of course, Seulgi isn’t bothered because she knows what was up, while the others are clueless and have their eyes narrowed, looking intrigued.

Joohyun shoves hers hands in her blazer pockets before walking over to her friends, ignoring the looks their giving, and, just gives them all bored expressions.

Byulyi holds Joohyun’s arm, “What the hell was that?” she asks in a whisper but it sounds yelling to Joohyun.

Joohyun rolls her eyes and sighs, “None of your ing business.”

 

-

 

“How’s detention?”

It’s the second time she heard that question. Worse is that it came from her best friend who is looking at her with a stupid grin that Seungwan wants to slap off her face.

Instead, she ignores Sooyoung as she lowers herself onto the seat and sets her tray on the table, catching a sight of Chanyeol who is busy with his food. 

It is lunch time, the usual chaos in cafeteria is present.

“Stop,” Seungwan says, sensing her best friend was just staring at her, waiting for an answer.  She is sure she told everything to Sooyoung via text message, her best friend won’t just let it go. She looks up, catching eyes with the annoying tall girl.

“It’s just so funny you were in detention, right?” the tall girl giggles, nudging her twin in the side.

Chanyeol nods, unable to laugh fully because his mouth is full.

Before Seungwan can even react, someone calls her best friends in a sing-song voice.

“Twin towers!” It was Seulgi, she is approaching their table.

“Seulgi,” Sooyoung greets flatly, eyes looking at the girl questioningly.

Her best friend’s mood obviously changed instantly.

“What a warm greeting,” Seulgi says sarcastically, chuckling.

Sooyung rolls her eyes, “What is it?”

“I’m inviting you twins to my party at my place this coming Friday,” Seulgi says, smiling at Sooyoung only for the latter to quirk an eyebrow in question.

“It’s a back to school party,” Seulgi adds, smirking, “Come on.”

“Is Joohyun going to be there?” Chanyeol interjects as he leans on the table.

“What’s a Seul party without her best friend?”

“Count me in,” the guy Park confirms, turning his attention back to food.

With a roll of her eyes, Sooyoung leans back and turns her gaze to her twin, “Really?” she asks with an exasperated voice. 

Chanyeol just shrugs, not even looking at his twin.

“Well, I’m expecting you two then,” Seulgi says, looking smugly at Sooyoung.

Seulgi then tears her gaze away from Sooyoung and turns to Seungwan, “How about you, Son Seungwan?” she asks, smiling sweetly.

Seungwan blinks in surprise before pointing at herself, looking at the girl curiously.

Seulgi nods, “Can you go to the party?” she asks hopefully, almost shyly. 

Seungwan looks down awkwardly and shakes her head. She actually feels bad for saying no to Seulgi, but she really can’t go to a party. She isn’t used to be in such crowd and she’s got more important things to do that day and the next day and probably, the next day.

“Okay,” Seulgi can only say, a little disappointed. 

Seungwan looks back at Seulgi and sees the disappointment in her eyes, “I’m really sorry but I have so much stuff to do, I—I don’t have time for a party,” she explains, looking apologetic.

Seulgi shakes her head, giving Seungwan a small reassuring smile, “I understand,” she then turns to the twins, “but you two will be there, okay?”

“Of course,” Chanyeol simply smiles and nods.

“Great!” Seulgi exclaims and turns to Seungwan, “my invitation is still open,” she says with a grin before stepping away.

“So,” Sooyoung says slowly, leaning forward to rest her elbows on the table, eyes narrowed as she looks at Seungwan, thinking, “Why don’t you actually attend the party? I mean, you’ve been to detention,” the tall girl snorts making Seungwan rolls her eyes, “Try a party this time, you know, an actual high school party.”

“Yeah,” Chanyeol agrees, picking a piece of bread from his twin’s tray, “We’ll be there anyway, it’s not like we’re going to leave you on your own or anything.”

It’s the truth, the twins have never forsake her and Seungwan knows that they will always have her back. She simply smiles at Chanyeol, “I know but I can’t.”

“Why?” he asks.

“Studies—”

Sooyoung groans, interrupting Seungwan, “Stop that hobby of yours, studying on Friday nights? You have the weekends.”

Seungwan sighs, while it’s true that she should use the weekends for her studies, she simply just can’t as there are others stuff to do, “I have golf practice, Saturday morning, after that, I’ll drop off at Yerim’s. I need full energy for those.”

“Oh right,” Sooyoung nods in understanding, “That Yerim girl you babysit.”

“You still babysit her?” Chanyeol asks.

“I don’t babysit her,” Seungwan hisses, leaning forward to playfully punch the twins on the arm, she almost didn’t reach them, “Tutor, I tutor her,” she corrects.

Sooyoung cackles evilly, rubbing the arm where Seungwan punched her, “What’s your deal with that young girl, anyway?

“I’m helping her,” Seungwan replies.

 “You know you can do that not for free, right?”

Seungwan doesn’t comment. Her best friend has a valid point, like, who tutor for free? Just her. Probably, there’s someone else but she personally doesn’t know anyone who does that for free. Actually, Seungwan isn’t in need of money. Her family have never had any problems with money, even now that her mother is married to another man, she’s not seeing money as a future problem for them.

She tutors Yerim, whom she met a year ago, because the young girl simply needs it.

“Wait, Seungwan, you’re still a Son?” Chanyeol suddenly asks, changing the subject unintentionally.

“Uh yes?” Seungwan eyes Chanyeol curiously.

The tall guy’s eyes widen and he leans on the table, “What?” He asks in shock. “Why are you not a Bae?”

Seungwan mirrors the guy Park, her eyes are wide, “Why would you ask that here?” she grits her teeth.

“Oh my God, Chanyeol, you can’t just ask people why they’re not a Bae!”

Chanyeol bursts out of laughing, “I know that reference.”

“Yeah?”

“Yeah.”

“Where?”

“Mean girls.”

Seungwan glances between the twins, seems like Sooyoung purposely diverts Chanyeol’s attention to something else so they can’t continue to talk about her not being a “Bae”.

She is indeed not a Bae. She refused to be adopted by Mr Bae, that’s the only thing she asked from her mother before the elder got married to him.  She told her mother that she wants to carry her father’s last name for as long as she can.

 

-

 

It’s Friday night and Seungwan is sure it’s late. She has finished all of her homework in just a night, a volume of homework that a normal student would normally finish during weekends. Tomorrow morning, she will go to the campus for her golf practice, she will have her lunch together with her team, and they will probably overall finish their practice in the afternoon. After practice, she will go straight to Yerim’s house for tutoring, this will be the first time she will see the young girl again since summer break.

On Sunday, it will be Bubbles’ day. She will bring her dog to her vet clinic for her regular check-ups and will then bring her to the park to meet her dog friends.  Bubbles, like any other dog, doesn’t quite like going to the vet so this is also to make up to the dog for bringing her to the clinic.

Seungwan stretches, her back hurts a little for staying too long at her desk to finish her homework. She smiles at her little planner, feeling satisfied on how she organized her schedules for the upcoming weekend.

Now that Seungwan is all done, she stands up and climbs into her bed. She glances to Bubbles who is sleeping peacefully in her own little bed, smiling on how lovely her dog looks. She then picks up her phone from the nightstand to check the time and is surprise to see that it is 01:31 AM, Oh, it’s now Saturday.  The short haired girl can’t believe she stays up this late.

She is about to put her phone back to the nightstand when it went off. It’s Sooyoung, she is calling her.

Without thinking twice, she answers the phone, “It’s almost 2 AM, what do you need?”

“It’s Joohyun,” she hears her best friend mutters from the other line.

“What?” Seungwan narrows her eyes, confused as to why Sooyoung will call about Joohyun.

“I think she’s very drunk…” Sooyoung trails off.

Oh, they are at the party, she remembers but doesn’t comment, waiting for her best friend to continue.

“Or is very high.”

 

-

 

a/n: our wannie was online earlier on lysn, thanks to her, i'm still up and was able to finish this chapter. sorry if there's not much wenrene on this chap, I just had to introduce more characters. i'll make it up to you seekers, next chap ;)

always, always, appreciate all the subs, the comments and upvotes <3