Another Time, Another Place

In Time.

 

It was just another scorching hot summer day in Sydney and just her luck, Sandy, Kim's Mini Coop had a flat tyre. She parked Sandy by the curb and threw on a loose shirt over her dress as she opened up the trunk. Gathering the things she needed Kim was having trouble lifting the spare tyre. It was dirty, heavy and the metal had consummated the burning heat inside the trunk. She rolled the loose sleeves as sweat beads formed on her forehead. Of all days, this could have happened to her, it was today. Kim cursed under her breathe as she began to attach the jack on Sandy.

 

"Goodness gracious Sands, why today! I'm going to be to be so late!" Exasperated, she sighed with disbelief.

 

Another sweat bead trickled down her face. She could feel her make-up dissolving into the heat. Every inch of her body stung from it and she cursed even more. She was in a dress, heels and everything was fixed up. Today was supposed to be her best friend's engagement party. She had no time calling for service as she knew it would take even more time. This needed to be done as soon as possible.

 

"Need any help with that?"

 

Oh God, who was that? It was man. That, Kim was sure of. His voice was soft, warm, husky, se- wait. She doesn't even know who it is. Slowly Kim turned her head, the sun tore through her sun glasses and pierced right into her eyes. Making her squint, scarcely seeing the tall, masculine figure that stood before her. From the mere silhouette she can make out of him, he was tall, lean and well dressed. His hair was somewhat neat and messy at the same time. It took another couple of seconds to realise that Kim was just staring at this man like he was a piece of meat. Shaking herself to reality, she gathered her composure and managed to come up of words.

 

"Oh. Uh, I um had a flat tyre. I'm just trying to get this fixed as quick as I can I've got to be somewhere." She blabbed.

 

"Well it looks like you could use another hand. Here let me."

 

The man moved forward and began to give Kim a helping hand. He seemed familiar, someone she knew but she couldn't quite get her head around it. She wiped the thought aside thinking he was simply just a good samaritan who was helping out from pure kindness. She didn't speak. She couldn't. Somehow, the heat had vacuumed all the words she knew of and became verbally challenged. Kim took a step back as he tried to fit the tyre in place.

 

"This should last the day, make sure you air it at a nearby gas station. Just to be sure."

 

"Thank you, I will" There she had found it.

 

Kim walked around the other side to fetch a packet of wipes in the compartment. Walking over to him, she smiled and offered him a piece. As he finished off tightening the final screw, he got up and turned around. Taking the wipes from Kim, their hands softly touched which caused Kim to flinch. She didn't know what came over her. He wasn't going to prowl nor bite her. To break the awkwardness, Kim moved around to grab her purse and walked back to the man.

 

"Thank you so much for your help. I'm so sorry about this, it's a terrible heat." Kim reached for her purse to hand him some cash.

 

"Please, don't. It would very much offend me if you were to pay."

 

"Oh, no. Absolutely not. I could have done it myself, you were too kind to lend a helping hand. This is just to show my gratitude" She insisted.

 

He shook his head and softly pushed her hand back, rejecting the payment.

 

"You are too polite. Besides, a woman should not be doing such things. I'm surprised you knew your way around it. Predictably, I'd imagine you to stress and cry over it."

 

He laughed. It was deep and soft.

 

"Oh, yes well, I've found interest with cars. I wouldn't want to always rely on others to do such things for me. Calling for assistance would take too much time so I decided I would do it myself. Thank heavens you came along"

 

Thank heavens. He didn't want to put much meaning to it but it sounded nice.

 

"If you won't take this, how can I repay you?" She regretfully said, thinking he might ask for something else.

 

"Oh, you don't need to. But if you insist an ice cream would be much needed. Today's heat has been excruciating." He smiled.

 

Kim gulped. Great! She thought. She was going to be late and he had suggested her repayment.

 

"I am so sorry, I really have to be somewhere right now. I can't afford to spare another second. I'm already late..." She sighed.

 

"Oh, never mind then." He was dismayed.

 

"But if it would suffice, take this and you can grab some for yourself." Again, she offered cash.

 

"Ice cream alone is pointless. Plus that's besides the point. How about another time?" Now he smiling.

 

What? Kim didn't understand what he had just proposed. Was he insinuating to meet up another time?

 

"What do you suppose?"

 

"Another time, another place. One preferably indoors. Outside is much too hot."

 

He needs to stop smiling or else Kim might melt. The extreme heat wasn't helping either.

 

"Look I don't mean to be rude, I really need to go. I'm sorry."

 

Just as she was about to get into her car. She felt his hand touch her arm. Suddenly she felt all jittery and flinched once again. She looked up. He was far too close. Now, she can really see his face. It was, well any girl would have described it as perfect. She couldn't see his eyes though. His sunglasses were far too dark to see through but she assumed that his eyes were just as perfect as the rest of him was. Kim could smell his scent. It wasn't strong. It wasn't even the smell that a hot summer day gives you. It was perfect too. Now, she began to breathe heavily, unknown to her, he was feeling the same way.

 

"Here, take this. Then you can let me know when you're free. No rush, just simply whenever you can."

 

He smiled. Walked away and disappeared into the street. Kim stood there. Speechless, hot. It took her a little while until she composed herself. She looked at what he had handed to her. It was a business card. The man's name, and contact details were on it.

 

4one9 Industries

Mr. Gerald Anderson - President (CEO)

 

It rung a bell, she didn't know why. Thinking too deep into his name, Kim concluded that  it was simply common name. Nothing special. No fond memory of it. Just a name.

 

Gerald Anderson.