Chapter 35 - Calamity

Star Illusion | ATEEZ Pirate AU

 

[Trigger warning gore]

 

“The Devil’s Triangle.”

Only a name of the region is able to send chills down every sailors’ spine. The deadly area has been infamous as a graveyard of many vessels and its crews. The folklore, told by scarcely any survivors, widespreads among seafarers of its bizarre phenomenon; violent sea storms, sea monsters and unknown creatures that lurk in the dark.

“Wonderland is in the center of the Devil’s triangle.” The navigator announces.

Ateez calmly listens to Yunho as they have already learnt the news. Instead, they focus on the 2 ladies’ reaction. They bet it would scare the wit out of them, however, the ladies are in composure.

“Devil’s triangle,” The rose gold haired girl mumbles, frowning and losing in her thoughts.

While the seer only stretches her neck to see the map laying on the table. Ateez exchange glances among themselves when they don’t see the expecting reaction.

“You don’t seem surprised.” The stoic quartermaster speaks to the seer. She blankly blinks at Seonghwa and turns her head to look at Aurora and back at him. Seeing his dark eyes still piercing at her, she points at herself. “Me?”

Seonghwa doesn’t repeat his sentence but rolls eyes in annoyance.

Suddenly Mingi claps his hand, his mouth and eyes wide in realization, “Shooting Star, don’t tell me you already knew the location of Wonderland.”

Ateez turn their attention to Star upon hearing Mingi’s comment.

 

I scan the room and see the members squint their eyes at me in suspicion.

I let out dry chuckles because I’m literally exposed by Mingi. Surely, I know Wondeland’s location from the fiction but I couldn’t tell them right away since the map is still needed. Plus, they wouldn’t believe me easily.

“Uhh…” If I act surprised now, will it be too late?

“I think it’s not important anymore whether she knew or not. We still need the map to navigate.” Yunho speaks up, saving me from trouble. The others nod in understanding.

“Do you foresee any events in the devil’s triangle?” Yunho asks me.

“Just-” I’m about to answer but stop myself from doing so. Because the timeline already changed, what happened in the fiction might not occur anymore.

“I didn’t see any.” I answer him, feeling a bit wary.

In the story, Ateez faces several obstacles inside the area. But the real obstacle isn’t supernatural phenomena, it’s their archenemies. Nevertheless, we haven't encountered those enemies yet in this timeline. I just hope that they won’t appear in the future.

They didn't ask me more questions which is good because I’m terrible at lying.

As soon as the meeting ends, I bolt outside of the room before Ateez has a chance to take revenge on me.

 

---

 

Peaceful.

This is the most peaceful moment I ever felt after transmigrating into the fictional world.

Leaning against the rail, Aurora and I are looking seaward at the forecastle. The ship rides over wave after wave. And my worries slip away with every wave we sail past.

When Aurora agrees to go to Wonderland, my journey to Wonderland is secured which also means that I’m going home.

Ateez announced that it might take a week to two to reach the island. I can’t believe we are heading to Wonderland in less than one month. According to the original story, it takes them an entire 2 months to reach Wonderland.

 

I glance at Aurora and can’t help but admire her beauty. Her curly locks sway softly in the morning wind while her rose gold hair glittering in sunlight. Her small lovely face brightens at the view and her sparkling eyes stare at the water.

I wonder what thoughts she has in her mind. Sometimes she acts like the familiar sweet protagonist but other times she behaves out of character. Anyway as long as she doesn't cause any ruckus, I won’t take any action.

Looking at her from my place, she’s like the muse of the sea that captures all the hearts of the sailors.

Too bad, there wasn't really a progress between her and Ateez. They still act like a stranger to each other. I guess I have no hope to witness a love story with my real eyes.

As Aurora standing like a sea goddess, on the contrary, I busily swat my hair that flies all over my face.

Ouch! It gets into my eyes.

 

“Mate, her hair suddenly reminds me of one of your stories.” A chirping voice that belongs to the first mate says from behind me.

For some reason, I know right away that he means my hair.

Perhaps it’s my wishful thinking to think that I’ll have a peaceful time because some members still hold grudges against me because I offended them. And those members are annoyingly nagging me right now.

“Which one?” A deep voice asks him back.

“The one about the legendary creature,” Wooyoung answers the master gunner.

My face twists, knowing that the creature isn’t something good if it comes out of the first mate’s mouth.

“It lurks under the sea, preying on sailors. The size can compare to 10 ships. Its tentacles can destroy a ship with a single slap and drag her to the bottom of the ocean.” As he describes the creature, he saunters toward the rail and stops to stand next to me. I’m trying my best to ignore his taunt and stare at the beautiful scenery to calm my nerves.

“Oh! Kraken!!!” Mingji shouts the answer making Wooyoung hollers in laughter.

I snap my head toward them. How could they compare my gorgeous hair to a sea monster?

Mingi laughs along but as he feels my piercing gaze, he stops and coughs awkwardly.

“Shooting Star, if you admit that I’m the cutest one. I’ll teach this guy an unforgettable lesson.” Mingi shouts while locking Wooyoung's neck with his arms.

Wooyoung stops laughing and hits Mingi’s arm. “You dare?”

“Who am I?! The greatest master gunner of the seven seas! And who are you again!?” Mingi yells, provoking Wooyoung.

“Tsk! Do you want to taste my wrath!?” Wooyoung yells back.

Then they proceed into a brawl. They exchange blows of punches and kicks but I know they don’t really mean to harm each other.

“Seonghwa, these two slack off. Shall we cut off their loot division?” The boatswain walks past and spots his crewmates engaging in a nonsense fight.

Mingi and Wooyoung immediately stop and scan around the area but see no Seonghwa.

“Jongho, how could you trick me?” Mingi whines with a betrayal look at his beloved friend.

But Jongho coldly shrugs at him.“It’s rude to compare a lady’s hair to kraken.”

I smile at Jongho gratefully. I know I could count on him.

“But seaweed may do.” He finishes the sentence and smirks at me.

My smile turns into a scowl. I take my word back.

Jongho-ah, you changed because I called you cute? You made noona’s heart hurts so bad.

 

The 3 men roar in laughter, louder than earlier. They seem way too happy teasing me.

“Kraken..” Sweet voice whispers from beside me. Wooyoung can hear Aurora as he instantly stops laughing and clears his throat. “Are you interested in the monster? Just so you know, I can personally tell you anytime.” He wiggles his eyebrows suggestively at her.

But Aurora doesn’t even bash eyelash at him. She continues staring at the sea. A corner of tug upward.

I roll my eyes at Wooyoung and mouth lame at him while he mouths seaweed kraken back at me.

I huff and ignore him. He chuckles at my frustration.

Returning my gaze to the seaward, I notice bubbles rising and fishes swimming on the water surface.

“Why are there so many fishes here?” Jongho mumbles. He also stops laughing. He elbows Mingi, who almost dies of laughter, to stop too.

We all stare at the water. Then black liquid appears near the hull.

“What was that?” Mingi says, squinting his eyes at the black water.

 

At that moment, I feel like thunder strikes my head.

Kraken...

Oh my god! Kraken!!!

My mud brain literally forgot an important scene.

 

“Where’s captain!?” I shout, asking them frantically.

“At the bridge, why?” Wooyoung answers leisurely although he is surprised at the girl’s panic expression.

Not wasting time explaining, I sprint toward the bridge.

The others look after Star.

“Is she going to report us for mocking her?” Mingi asks his mates. He regrets mocking his new friend although he’s the one that laughed the loudest.

“I don’t think so.” Jongho answers, watching as Star runs like a mad woman.

 

 

“Captain!!” I shout as loud as I can, running from forecastle toward the stern. The working crews look at me weirdly but they part way for me.

When I step on a stair to the quarterdeck, the ship suddenly jerks violently. I lose balance, falling backward. My crashes onto the ground as I cry in pain. I pat my poor while standing up. However, the ship continues to shake which makes me fall down again.

The door of the bridge abruptly opens. Hongjoong and Seonghwa storm out of the room.

“What’s the matter?” Hongjoong asks the helmsman but instead of answering Hongjoong, he stares wide eyes at Starboard side.

Hongjoong follows his crew gaze and stuns at the scene.

A giant black tentacle rises from the sea. The notorious Revenge’s crew are all stupefied by the its appearance.

“Monster!!!” Someone screams, causing the crews to snap out of their trance to face harsh reality.

But it’s not just some monster.

It’s the legendary creature, Kraken.

 

In a brief second, the tentacle smashes onto the ship. The wooden floor of Starboard was immediately wrecked by the strong force. Splinters fly in all directions. After the kraken lifts its tentacle away. Trail of blood from lifeless bodies could be seen as some unfortunate crews couldn’t escape in time.

Hongjoong curses and instantly takes over the wheel while Seonghwa barks out orders.

The crews begin to pass over weapons from the lower deck to fight the beast. Gunner mates fire bullets toward other tentacles that also rise above water to attack their ship. 

Alas, bullets don’t do too much harm to its thick skin.

One tentacles rise up to warp around the mainmast. The sound of wood creaking echoes in pirates’ ears. The crews watch in terror. If the mainmast break, their fates are surely sealed under the sea today.

 

I, who roll from side to side, finally stand up by hugging a stair rail. The ship sway dangerously as if it will overturn any moment. Since I haven’t developed sea legs, I can’t take a single step without falling down. So I pathetically hug a rail for dear life.

“Star!!!” A loud shout enters my ears. I look up and see a serious expression Hongjoong steering the wheel.

“Star, get back to your cabin!!” He shouts while his fierce eyes focus forward.

I want to shout back that I want to go back into my room too but I can’t walk. But I know that the longer I linger here, the more possibility that I may end up as Kraken’s next victim.

However before I leave, a massive head suddenly emerges from the sea level which creates big waves thrashing onto the ship. Its yellow eyes sweep through the board. Its nostril spews out water. Its hollow mouth, full of sharp teeth, let out an ear-splitting roar. 

I collapse on the floor as my body runs cold. The raw fear of the beast creeps into my heart.

 

“Hold your position!!”

“Fire!!!”

The fearless Revenge’s crew, for the first time, confronted such a powerful opponent. Fear is visible in their eyes but they tighten their grip on their weapons. The outcome only has 2 ways; to fight or die.

Cannonball and bullets continue to rain on the monster.

 

Suddenly, the beast’s arm shoot out to coil around a gunner mate’s body. He screams and squirms helplessly as the arm lifts him up in the air. The others try to help him out of the devil’s grasp but the effort is useless. The monster tosses the poor man into its gaping maw.

Blood drained from the crews’ faces. The kraken just ate one of them.

Bile rising within my throat, I gag at the horrifying scene.

Blood curdling screams get louder from all directions as its many tentacles begin to target the crews and feed on them.

“Star! Run!” The urgence voice of Hongjoong snaps me out of my terror. I try to get up but my legs don’t listen to me. Now I understand what real fear feels like.

When the ship shook again, my head accidentally hit the rail and I somehow remember another crucial scene. The kraken comes out to wreck the ship. But the main point is a heroic scene where a member saves the female lead from kraken. And most importantly, that member is gonna get hurt.

I begin to panic. What should I do? I can’t let that happen. I must stop the scene!

With determination, strength returns to my body. I get up from the floor. Even though I shake like a scaredy cat, I sprint toward the forecastle, inside the bloodbath zone.

“Star!!!!” Hongjoong shouts after me. Anger drips in his tone. But I can’t be selfish to save myself  when a member is in danger.

Pushing past a crowd of pirates and swaying ship, I fall down many times. And sometimes I have to crawl in order to move forward and avoid deadly tentacles at all cost. At the same time I curse at the book, my romantic fiction has turned into a gruesome horror genre.

 

In my ultimate turmoil state, I spot Aurora running toward my way. Relieve floods me as she’s still doing fine.

When I’m a few meters away from her, the ship tilts, making her drop down on the floor.

To my horror, one tentacle reaches toward her. She screams in fright and covers her head.

Jongho dash from behind her and swiftly slashes the tentacle. After the threat disappears, he quickly checks on Aurora and supports her to get up. But in that moment another tentacle ready to smash him when his back is facing it.

The scene is as described in the book.

“Jongho!!!” I scream, shuffle my legs faster. But he doesn’t hear me because of the chaotic surroundings.

My right hands brush on a cold metal at my waist and a wild idea pops in my head.

Clenching San’s dagger, I hope this will work out.

With my full force, I throw it at the tentacle. 

The dagger flies across the board and slightly slits the tentacle. Fortunately, the contact is enough to stop its motion. The kraken pulls back its tentacle.

Once I see that both Jongho and Aurora are saved, my energy vanishes into thin air.

However, when I don’t pay attention to my surroundings, another tentacle sweeps through the crowd heading toward me. I watch in terror but it's too late to move.

The tentacle slams into my stomach with inhuman strength. Air knocks off my lungs. The impact sends me flying backward and plummet on the ground.

Immense pain shot through my body but I can only let out a soundless scream. Salty tears escape my eyes as I lie motionless on the ground. My heavy body refuses to move. My surroundings gradually turn dim as I start to lose consciousness.

But I don’t forget to curse at that freaking kraken.

How dare you hit me, you ugly squid. You’re just a minor character like me!

As if it heard me, it roars and gets wilder as I feel the ship rock more violently.

Then, my eyes catch sight of a tentacle above me ready to crash down, right where I lie down.

I’m sorry Kraken. You’re an important minor character. Please spare my life.

But of course, Kraken can’t hear my plea. I watch helplessly as the black tentacle swings closer.

This is sad but I’m about to either turn into kraken food or be smashed into smitten.

I divert my blurry eyes to the blue sky above me, it contrasts with the black sails. 

How beautiful. This may be the last thing I see in this life.

I slowly close my eyes to accept my cruel fate.

However, a shadow casts on me and I feel something hover above me. I re-open my eyes and see a pair of fierce glowing red eyes.

The tentacle directly slams into his back. He let out a low growl at the strike. However, his cold expression never faded away. And a slight chilly smirk appears on his lips.

“You...” I whisper weakly. His eyes meet mine for milliseconds and he rises to his feet.

His two hands hold onto two long swords. He dash toward the tentacle and sends a powerful cut. A black meat of the tentacle fell into the ship. Blue blood splash from its wound. More arms reach to get rid of him but that doesn't hindrance his momentum as he fearlessly lunges forward. Silver arch reflecting from fast sword maneuver. He fights as if he’s a monster himself.

The last thing I ponder is how silly of me to think that he’s the scariest person on the ship when he saved me many times.

He’s my life savior.

 

 

 

// Sorry for slow update. I took quite a long time to write this chapter. It's the hardest one cause I'm not good at writing action stuff TT But I hope you enjoy it.

 

OHH AND ATEEZ COMEBACK!!! Inception gonna bring them trophy. After watching MV, I almost didn't make it out alive to update the book. They sure love to attack fragile heart of Atiny. 

 

Well, see you next chapter ^^ Have a great day!