Coward

Under our Hopeful Gaze
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

A click, two clicks.

 

Gunshots.

 

Footsteps.



 

Don’t get yourself into trouble.

 

It’s fine.



 

She crossed it.


 

She shouldn't be there.


 

 

 

 

 

You need to breathe.





 





 

Minju and Chaewon had a short night stroll along the river. 

 

They talked about their past, continuing their conversation from the cafe. From talks during her past fanmeet experience to the little things like their favourite animals or foods. 

 

Chaewon likes chocolate mint, Minju was aware of that of course, her profile page says so. It was different for animals, she said she likes foxes now. It was baby cheetahs before after her fans pointed out her resemblance to the small animal. 

 

When asked, she simply said 'Minju is a fox' without any hesitation.

 

Chaewon has gotten bolder in the short period of time they spent together. Although there were times where the older would catch herself and she would return to being the adorable shy coward she is. And Minju loves teasing her when she does. 

 

“Then my favourite is a baby cheetah!”

 

Minju grinned to herself, thinking of the other’s reaction.

 

They kept their conversation going back and forth in such manner with lesser awkwardness overtime. It was strangely pleasant. Rather than... girlfriends, they talked more like two good friends.

 

Minju loves Chaewon. She can't deny the warmth she felt whenever the older held her in her eyes. But at the same time, she's hesitant. 

 

The line still exists. Minju doesn't know how or if she even wants to erase it.

 

 She knows she needs to. She shouldn’t, she’s safer inside.

 

It’s fine.

 

They're starting to know each other, it's fine. Just like how Chaewon mentioned, Minju should take it easy, at her own pace. 

 

"At my own pace..." Minju echoed, thinking to herself as she quietly closed the door behind her.

 

At her own pace.

 

She slowly walked away from the main entrance of her apartment with careful steps, and into the living area. It wasn't late by any means. While the moon outside gleams high amongst the darkened skies, it was still early enough for a uni student such as herself. But being late is the least of Minju's concerns. 

 

Memories came flooding in from today's evening, bringing back the emotions she would rather try to avoid.

 

She bit her lips, frowning. She kept her arms folded close near her pounding heart, in an attempt to ease her shaky breathing. 

 

The magic Chaewon casted on her slowly disappearing.

 

"Minju?" A familiar voice called, carrying a hint of both alarm and worry.

 

Minju halted, mentally preparing herself before moving forward.

 

Her sister was there, sitting on the couch. Slight TV noises filled the background a lot more as Minju went nearer, which Eunbi immediately closed once she saw her sister walking in. The static noises weren't noisy, it was barely audible in fact. Eunbi must have opened it as a distraction. It makes the apartment less lonely, she once said.

 

Eunbi kept her silence, patiently waiting for Minju to address the heavy atmosphere.

 

"Sorry... that I ran away..." Minju said, looking down. She felt like she has been apologizing nearly every day now. 

 

Oh, how she hates herself. But really, what else can she say?

 

"It's fine, as long as you're okay," Eunbi assured as she released her tensed shoulders, leaning against the couch. "Have you eaten?"

 

"I did." 

 

She and Chaewon ate before the older walked Minju home, but Eunbi doesn't need to know that.

 

"That's good." 

 

It's quiet again.

 

"Listen, I'm not angry okay? Maybe a bit sad, but I'm not angry, okay?" Eunbi said, looking at Minju from where she sat. "Sakura's a good person... I really hope you can give her a chance."

 

Minju knows that. She has no grudge against her. From what she has seen, Sakura has been nothing but good to her sister. Compared to... last year, her appearance undeniably made her sister a lot brighter, she smiles a lot more. 

 

And Minju dislikes that she's not the reason for that smile, when she knows she's closer to her than anyone else. 

 

She shouldn't be selfish, after all, she did nothing to earn her love.

 

Eunbi sighed before standing up, walking closer after noticing Minju won't be moving anytime soon. She then hugs her around her shoulders. 

 

A familiar warmth. 

 

Minju buries her head into the corner of her sister's neck, inhaling her calming scent. 

 

"There there," Eunbi said, as she rhythmically patted the younger’s head.

 

She needs to stop being nice to her. She needs to be as far away as possible. 

 

It hurts every time she holds her, whispering comfort when her heart is yearning for her undivided attention. She hates that she's taking advantage of her kindness. 

 

She wanted more.

 

“I’m sorry.” 

 

Her caring words, her soft gaze, her touches, her warmth. 

 

“It’s okay.”

 

Minju wanted everything.

 

She hates it.

 

“I’m sorry...”

 

She hates this so much.

 

She wishes Eunbi can just leave her-

 

No.

 

No.

 

Don't leave me.

 

Please don't leave me.

 

I don't want you to leave me too.

 

It's getting darker.

 

It's getting harder to breathe.

 

It's suffocating. 

 

You need to breathe.

 

"M-Minju, calm down," Eunbi hurriedly gripped her wrist, rubbing circles with her thumb. Her other hand cupped around the younger's cheek as she stared deep into her eyes, desperately searching any form of consciousness. 

 

"I won't go anywhere okay? Look at me... please... breathe..."

 

Tears muddled her sight. 

 

Again.

 

Minju can't tell the difference. 

 

She can feel her consciousness fading.







 






 

"KWANGBAE PLEASE."

 

"I heard you the first time-"

 

"DON'T LEAVE ME."

 

"I'm not- I literally can't move," Hyewon deadpanned, lazily swinging her arm around which was firmly gripped by her duck-like friend.

 

The two are standing in front of this cafe for minutes now. She's sure the staffs inside are debating whether to call the authorities or not. Not to mention her friend is obnoxiously loud. It was starting to annoy her.

 

"Ju

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter