Cosmos: Mina

5cm/s

Tochigi - 2005

 

 

Five years passed since Mina last saw Momo.

 

Spring arrived and the cherry blossoms have bloomed.

 

Mina didn't remember the last time she wrote and sent a letter, but she was always mentally writing messages to Momo in her mind.

 

 

Dear Hirai Momo,

 

You're not here. You haven't been here for a long time. When I pass by Iwafune Station, I remember standing on the platform with you that winter morning to see you off. You didn't say it but I remember sensing the feelings you had for me. That made me so happy, yet equally just as sad when I watched the train take you away from me.

 

I can still sense your feelings but they're not as vivid and strong as before. With each passing day, those feelings fade.

 

It's painful.

 

 

Mina made her way to the large cherry blossom tree. It was fully bloomed, with thousands of cherry blossom petals gently raining down on her. It was a stark contrast to the cold winter night when she shared her first kiss with Momo. She remembered the warmth Momo gave her when their lips touched, savoring every second their shared.

 

But Mina could no longer feel that warmth.

 

She couldn't even picture Momo in her clearly mind anymore.

 

Mina stood underneath the tree and pressed her forehead to the trunk, squeezing her eyes shut.

 

 

 

What are you thinking about, Momo? What are you thinking about in a place so far away?

 

Do you remember our days in Tokyo under the cherry blossoms?

 

I can't help but wonder…

 

Is there someone you like?

 

 

 

Mina's heart was aching. She pulled out a semi-crumpled envelope that a contained a handwritten letter. It was a letter that contained Mina's true feelings, a love letter meant for Momo. She wanted to give it to Momo that day on the platform, but she couldn't do it.

 

Mina couldn't bear to burden Momo with her love when they were destined to be apart. She knew the distance would have hurt them both so much more.

 

To think love would bring so much sadness.

 

 

 

Momo…

 

Are we just a memory now?

 

 

 

A single tear fell and seeped into the envelope.

 

 

Mina whispered out loud.

 

 

"Do you still remember me?"