REGRETS

REGRETS
 

 

Water droplets could be seen sliding down her car window. The skies were grey and the streets were wet and slippery. The weather would perfectly fit someone with a gloomy mood, but that was not the case for Lina. Even though the weather was upsetting, a growing smile was on her face.

She arrived outside a tall building. Humming a tune, she walked inside. “Excuse me. Is Mr. Park Yoochun around?” she asked the lady. “Yes. Do you have an appointment with him?” the lady asked her. She shook her head “No. Could you please tell him that Choi Lina is looking for him?” The lady nodded and asked her to wait at the lobby.

“Lina,” a voice called out to her. A smile lit up her face at the sight of the person. “Chunnie!” She hugged him. He hugged her back. “So… what can I do for you?” “Well…” she told him what she needed. “Sure! I would love to.” He smiled at her.

 

“Lina, I’m home!” Her husband’s voice could be heard throughout the mansion. She carefully came down the stairs. “Hi! How was work?” She greeted him. “It was good.” He wrapped his arms around her waist. “I missed you though.” She smiled. “Hey, do you know what’s coming up?” He asked her. “Of course!” She answered. No further discussion was made.

It’s been a year since this couple was married and in 2 weeks, it’s going to be their second year anniversary.

She laid on the bed next to him. “Junnie, what would be the best thing you could ever get?” she asked him. He snuggled closer to her and said, “You.” She let out a giggle. “Aside from that…” He pondered for a while then a wide grin appeared on his face. “A little you,” he told her and kissed her temple. She smiled as well.

It was a sunny Saturday afternoon. Junsu(the husband) wasn’t home. Lina, on the other hand, was preparing to go meet up with Yoochun. While she was brushing her hair, her phone rang. “Yoboseyo?” she answered. She grinned from ear to ear hearing the person’s voice. “Chunnie. Where are you right now?” Yoochun responded, “Actually, I just got off work. You want me to pick you up?” “Sure, Thanks.”

After a while, Yoochun was already in front of the mansion.

“Does Junsu know that you’re with me, Lina?” He asked her when they were already in the car. She shook her head “No, he doesn’t. He doesn’t need to know.” Yoochun glanced at her. “But, he’s your husband. Don’t you remember? When we were younger he used to threaten me for being even just a foot near you.” She laughed. “Well, that’s because he was jealous of you back then.” A smirk was on his face. “Isn’t he still jealous of me now?” She slapped his arm lightly. “Stop fooling around.”

They drove to Chunggyecheon. “What do you want to do here anyway?” He asked her. “I just wanted to breathe. Seoul is too full of buildings. Chunggyecheon is the perfect place to run off to. “What a beautiful couple,” some old ladies murmured amongst themselves, but loud enough for the two to hear. Yoochun coughed awkwardly and Lina just let out a giggle.

It was already 9 in the evening and Lina still wasn’t home. Junsu arrived home at 7 and he calling her phone, but she wouldn’t pick up. He kept walking back and forth. He could stay in one place. This was the first time she wasn’t home when he got there and to add to that, she wasn’t picking her phone and it’s 9 in the evening.  Different thoughts passed through his mind *What if she got into trouble?* *What if she got kidnapped?* He was ready to take his keys and head out to find her when the door opened and Lina got in. He attacked her with a hug. “Bwo-ya? What’s wrong?” She asked. He held onto both her shoulders and shook her lightly, a bit stronger than he wanted it to be, but still. “Promise not to make me worry like that ever again!” “Okay, I promise!” He hugged her tight.

“You know I love you very much, right?” He asked her when they were about to fall asleep. “Of course. “Then, you have to promise me something.” “What is it?” “Promise me that you’ll never be with another man. Ever.” “Ne…” “How will I know that you won’t break your promise?” She got up, got out of the room, went to the kitchen, took an egg from the fridge, cracked the top open placed the contents into  bowl, washed the shell properly and then went back into the room. Junsu got up into a sitting position. He raised a brow questioningly at her. “What is that for?” She didn’t answer his question and just took a marker out of the drawer and wrote ‘PROMISE’ on the center of the eggshell. She took a sticky note and wrote on the portion with the adhesive and then she rolled it and inserted it into the eggshell. “This eggshell symbolizes a promise. Since an eggshell is very breakable, it is similar to a promise. I will do my best to keep it in tact. Every promise I tell you goes into an eggshell and then into this box.” She told him. He looked at her amused. “Why are you looking at me like that?” She asked him. “Because, you have another idea. You have the paper stars and now, this?” She just smiled at him. She remembered giving him a paper star on their 5th date. It meant “The only one”. And then on the day she gave him her sweet yes, she gave him the second star. She promised herself that she’d make 1314 paper stars and fill jars with it. “You’re so weird, do you know that?” He asked her as she climbed on the bed. “Wae?” She blinked at him. “You come up with so many crazy ideas. That’s one of the reasons I love you.” He told her and kissed her.

It was a Tuesday. Lina was with Yoochun again. This time, they went to Namsan tower and got locks. They also went to the Han River. This has been continuing for days. Lina was always out with Yoochun and she always comes back home late.

It was getting really late. Lina was still not home. Junsu kept peeking out their gigantic window for any sign of her. He sat down and let out a sigh. Suddenly, there was a knock on the door. He rushed towards the door and hugged the person there. “Woah! I didn’t know you missed me that much, Su.” He released the person once he heard the voice. “Why are you here, Ye-ri?” She chuckled. “One moment you’re giving me a death hug, the next, you’re so bitter. I didn’t know you were bipolar.” A scowl was visible on his face. In front of him was the reason why he almost lost Lina. “Is Lina home already?” She asked him. “Why? So you could insult her again?” She smirked. “No, I was just wondering if she got home from her date with Yoochun already. I saw her at Myeongdong with him earlier. I wanted to give her an item from mom.” He stopped listening to her after ‘date with Yoochun’ . He didn’t care whether he hurt the girl in front of him or not. He pushed her away from the doorstep and slammed the door shut. He dialed her phone number again. This time, she picked up. “Where are you?” He asked her. “I’m entering our front gate already. Why?” He opened the door and rushed to her. She was shocked and just stared at him. “Where were you?” He asked her, eyeing her skeptically. “Out,” she answered vaguely. “Who were you with?” “Someone” “Whe---“ She kissed him and he asked no further.

One day, Lina and Yoochun were coming out from an Italian restaurant. It was heavy traffic outside of the restaurant. Inside one of those cars was none other than Kim Junsu. He was glaring at the two people on the sidewalk. Too bad, neither of them noticed him. The moment Junsu got home, Lina was already there. She went up to him and gave him a hug, but he pushed her off harshly. She tried to hold back the tears, but still, one drop fell down. He ignored her on the following days as well. He even took her box of promises and left the house. She was getting depressed, but she carried on with what she was doing with Yoochun.

 

It was the day of their 2nd wedding anniversary. Junsu had no plans whatsoever. Lina, on the other hand, had. It was already late in the afternoon. The sky was getting really dark and it started to rain hard. Lina was driving home. Suddenly a bright light was in front of her and she could not see what was ahead. There was a crash and she was unconscious.

 

Junsu received a phone call. “Yoboseyo?” He answered. “Mr. Kim, we could not contact you on your home phone so we decided to call you through mobile. We just want to inform you that your wife Choi Lina is in Seoul Medical right now. She was involved in a car accident and she is in a very bad condition.”

He hung up right away and went to Seoul Medical. When he got there, Lina’s friends were already there. The doctor came out. “I’m sorry. We couldn’t do anything.” Her friends started crying. One of them said, “It’s so sad that we lost two lives today.” *Two lives? She was probably with Yoochun. Serves them right for having a relationship behind my back!*He left the hospital. While he was in the car, he took notice of the box. He crushed each and every one of the eggshells and headed to the direction of their house. When he got there, he did not expect what he saw. In their living room area was a big banner saying “Happy Anniversary” He noticed two jars of paper stars on the table. *She probably thought I would not find out about her and Yoochun.* He pushed the jars of the table. All the stars spilled onto the floor. Among the stars was an iPhone. He unlocked the phone and it showed a video. He sat down the sofa and watched the video thinking ‘Let’s see what she has to say.’

“Hey Junnie! Happy Anniversary!!!” She blew on a trumpet and threw confetti. “You’re probably mad at me for always going out of the house and coming home late at night. Mianhae~ I was preparing for this day… Do you know how much fun I had preparing for today? I’m very excited for it. I know you’ll be very happy. Didn’t I promise you that I’d never be with another guy? I kept that promise. I promised you to never leave your side, too. I also kept that. I even promised you that I would gain weight. Guess what! I’m already 52kg now! I hope you didn’t crush those eggshells, I worked hard to keep those in tact! Oh, look at the left wall. Do you see that thing covered in paper? Rip that open…” Junsu did as was told. His eyes widened and a gasp escaped his lips. “Do you like it? If you don’t remember, that picture was from our first wedding anniversary. I used my free time to paint that portrait for us.”  It was a picture of Junsu and Lina about to kiss. “That kiss was a promise to love each other forever and to spend more wonderful years as a part of each others’ lives. I wanted us to see that promise everyday in our home. I hope you don’t mind me hanging it up there.” Junsu’s tears were b in his eyes.“You do know that I love you very much, right? I have a surprise for you!” She pulled out a black and white photo and Junsu’s tears fell from his eyes and he was crying hard now. “I’m pregnant! You’d get your wish of getting a baby granted! Dr. Chan said that I was a month pregnant already. Don’t get mad at me for not telling you earlier.  I wanted you to be surprised. SURPRISE! Are you happy? Let’s take of the baby together and we’ll make it grow up into a good person. I already bought materials to decorate the baby’s room! We can do it together on your free time…”  Junsu was sobbing uncontrollably now. His tears would not stop following out. “Oh! And do you know? Those jars were filled with 999 stars? I promise to give you the remaining 315 when I come down. After this video is finished, scream ‘Lina come down’ and I will~ Happy Anniversary again Junnie~ Saranghae~”

“Lina, Come down!” Junsu screamed. “Lina!! COME DOWN!” He was crying so much. “LINA!” He clutched onto the phone. “Lina, I’m sorry. Please… I’m so sorry… I should have never doubted you…” He murmured in between sobs. “I just can’t live without you. Now I know why they said that two lives were lost. You said that we’d take care of the baby right? I’m willing to take care of the baby… just… Lina…”

“I regret a lot of things. I regret not paying more attention to you. I regret not being there to take care of you always. I regret not having enough time for you. Most of all, I regret ever doubting your love for me.”

 

 

*999 stars means endless love

*1314 stars means eternal love