For Your Eyes Only (NakoTomi)

365 with ZOZI [HIATUS]

I’m sorry, ma’am. Her condition is worsening. I advise to give her up.


Nako never thought she would hear those words. She was in the hospital room, watching a friend in comatose due to an accident. With her hearing the words she never wanted to her, Nako couldn’t help but cry.


“Nako-chan.” Another friend got inside. “Any news about Hiichan? I saw the doctor just now. Will she be well?”


Nako had to stop her sorrow. It would’ve been natural to feel hurt when a friend will lose her chances of survival but Nako doesn’t want to spread the sorrow like wildfire.


“Just the usual check-up. Hiichan's wake is inevitable.”


Yuri wouldn’t be fazed with the announcement but the sadness was evident on her pouting face. In fact, they’d hope for their friend’s wake because she had been away from the casualties before it would get worse. And yet, here she was in the ICU with a cannula on her nose, needles of IV drips on her little body, and the sound of the monitor indicating her signs of life. The inevitable time of waking would make her closest friends cry. 


For Nako, she shared her tears. Who wouldn’t cry when the one she loves was at harm?


Honda Hitomi was a joyful soul; a reason to why Yabuki Nako's heartstrings tugged, producing a lovely tune. They shared a childhood, friendship, and feelings. Despite being the smaller one in the pair, Nako was the man. She would talk sweet nothings to Hitomi, give her gifts, and always did the initiative for their relationship. Hitomi would love everything Nako had done and it made me her love the smaller more.


They were doing it for quite some time. They were doing it because they love each other. They were doing it, even if arguments came and went. And they were doing it because they won’t give up on each other.


Even if the doctor said so, Nako didn’t give up on Hitomi because she loved her.


It was then Nako couldn’t bear her tears and was crying again. Yuri got worried and comforted her, even tried to make funny faces so that she would laugh.


“Hey! I got some bread and – “


The voice's owner became quiet and joined the duo. Like Yuri, she patted Nako's head and whispered words of comfort to calm her down.


Nako wanted to thank them.and calm doen but how can she? He can’t even speak because she was hurting too much.


“Nako-ya...don’t cry too much...” Yuri whispered. “Yena-unnie’s right. Hiichan be okay. She’ll wake up and you’ll be together again. She won’t go to paradise because it’s here – you are her paradise. She will always be by your side. She promised that to us and to you.”


Nako was still crying. It was the only thing she could do. Despite the pain and sadness, she knew that she had to be happy and strong for her friends...


For Hitomi...


+++


Hitomi was happy as she applauded, watching Nako perform in a busking event with Yena. Nako looked cool with her shades as she was beating the beatbox and singing with her pure voice. The sight made Hitomi cry and shut her eyes, putting a hand by the pair.


She was reminded of what happened in the past. She was reminded of that argument with Nako about meeting their best friends, sharing jealousy and releasing their frustrations. She was reminded how she stormed off Nako's apartment and drove recklessly on the streets, earning an accident. She was reminded that her accident cost her sight and consciousness. But most of all, she was reminded how she got her vision and how Nako lost her own.


Hitomi was shocked as Nako got up, pointing her stick out as the crowd made way for her and Hitomi. Nako drew closer to Hitomi and pulled her for a hug while singing. For the peach, it was a little embarrassing plus fans would feel a bit jealous but she just chuckled and hugged her back. 


It really pays to be loved by a passionate woman as Nako.


+++


Nako and Hitomi's love went on for quite sometime but with the reality of hostility, it wasn’t forever.


“I can’t do it, Hiichan.” 


“Love, I know that you don’t want it but  – “


“But what, Hiichan?” Nako asked. “I’ll be cornered in an empty room, tapping a mysterious object and for what? To be ridiculed with my disability?”


“Love, I want you to see again. You want it too, right?” Hitomi spoke. “I never forgot the moment I knew that you donated your eyes for me. I felt blessed and burdened at the same time. I am blessed that you did it for me and I’m burdened that you had the bad end of the stick.” She cupped Nako's face. “This therapy our friends proposed will help you become a better candidate for donated eyes.”


“I know that, Hiichan. Kkura fussed that I must check my eyes up in her clinic.” I huffed. “But I don’t want it. I’m okay living the blind life plus my other senses are still intact. I’ll live well for our friends and for you.”


Hitomi understood Nako's will but she was sad that Nako didn’t acknowledge her help. Nako's pride was betraying Hitomi's wish to repay the love Nako gave to her. Nako had done so much for Hitomi and as her lover, Hitomi wanted to do something to ease her suffering.


They were lovers. Both are imperfect beings that were bound to love in order to become a perfect whole.


+++


With all the time, persuasions and commitments, Hitomi managed to convince Nako to be part of the therapy. Nako went to her check-ups religiously and their friend Miyawaki Sakura – Kkura, as she was known – became her ophthalmologist from start until then. Hitomi was always by her side, even Yena and Yuri helped in providing a portion of their earnings for Nako's medicine.


Within a year, there were eyes ready for donation and Nako was evaluated. Thank the Almighty because Nako matched.


“You’re tensed...” Hitomi kissed Nako's forehead. “It’s okay, love. Kkura and Kwangbae will make sure that it’ll be successful.”


“I feel a bit threatened.” Their surgeon friend Kang Hyewon spoke. “I’ll do my best with Kkura.”


“It’s time, Kinako.” Sakura spoke. “We’ll be back in a few hours, Hiichan.”


Hitomi bowed her thanks. Sh was more than blessed because the Nako was finally at that point of regaining her vision and their closest friends would be doing that for her. As the three went inside the OR, Hitomi sat and prayed for Nako and the operation’s success.


+++


Darkness was something Nako had to get used to. The once wonderful world she used to see was no more, only left with nothing but black. It became a struggle in her daily life as it became the disability that held her back from everything she used to do. Then again, it was her choice. She made that leap of faith for the one she loved. 


But now, she gets to earn her leap of faith from the one she loved.


“Love, don’t scratch the bandage off.” Hitomi got her hand off gently. “Kkura will take them off in just a moment.”


Nako nodded and placed her hand down. She felt the bandages around her eyes and with six months of healing, she couldn’t contain her excitement of getting them off. Nonetheless, Sakura did the procedure, cutting an end of the bandage by Nako's left ear and slowly unwrapping from there until they see the large cotton balls for each eye. 


What started of as a peaceful procedure became one full of screams. The tape around Nako's eyes stung her skin that every pull felt like hell. Sakura dabbed alcohol on the tape's edges to smoothen the removal and to avoid contamination but it worsened Nako's pain. Hitomi had to step in and comfort her, pecking her head and whispering sweet nothings.


Although seeing Nako cry hurt her heart, Hitomi knew it was for the best.


“Kinako...” Sakura soothed her aching face. “It’s okay now. The bandages are off.”


Nako's cries died down to sniffles and Hitomi continued to comfort her. Nako's eyes were still shut and Sakura dabbed a solution-soaked cloth on her lids and wiped the eye lines gently, prying Nako to open her eyes. Nako's eyes slowly open and adjust to the light, leaving Hitomi and Sakurs to feel excited and nervous.


“Okay, Kinako. How many fingers do you see?” Sakura probed her hand in front of the smaller.


“Two.”


“Right! How many are my fingers now?” She probed both hands.


“Ten.”


“Oh, my God...” Hitomi reacted as her tears became visible and she drew closer to Nako. “Love...can you see me?”


“Yes...” Nako grinned as her own tears dropped. “I see the most beautiful woman in the world.”


The lovers hugged each other, leaving Sakura to cry on the side and watching them like a maternal figure. Both broke, shared a cute kiss, and hugged each other again.


Both had their share of losing their sight. With their new eyes, they hope to see a better view of the world and each for those eyes only.