iii Chapter 3: (2016)

No Longer a Coward

… 10.29.2016

Any thoughts on Goyang Orions head coach, Jung Woohyun saying that playing against you is unfair?”

Daniel chuckled at the question as Jungsuk slapped him proudly on the back. They had just won their game 100-64. Daniel had scored 36 points. 

“Well… to that question I’d say he should correct himself. Our team is unfair. I don’t know how they let all of my teammates on the same team. We haven’t lost a game yet and 100 points were scored and everyone on our team was involved.”

They were 14-0 in their record and didn’t look to be slowing down with their dominance. The press conferences on the other hand... were slower than ever. Over 50 cameras were constantly snapping photos and he could never see exactly who was asking which question in the crowd of reporters. 

What are your thoughts on Korea Herald labeling you as the most wanted CF model over actors and idols?”

Another non related basketball question. Daniel had given up trying to avoid them and just decided on giving witty answers instead. 

“Well, I am extremely thankful for the compliment, but I think the nation’s first love might be a little ahead of me. Suzy sunbae is a much better actress than me... and maybe even a better basketball player.”

Several reporters began to chuckle at his joke. 

You’re famous for being loved and the ideal type of many current idols, are there any idols who if they asked you out you would date?”

Daniel nodded as he pondered his response.

“There definitely are, but I am currently quite young and approaching the prime of my career. I am quite happy with my current situation as of the moment. But…”

 Daniel then wrapped his arm around Eric. 

“My hyung here is very much single and approaching a good marriage age.”

Everyone laughed as Eric nodded in agreement.

“I can confirm that I am very much single.” He joked along. 

The team finally ended the press conference to Daniel's joy and his manager showed him the 2 articles that had already been written about his dating life. 

He sighed. He figured out he should just continue to deny rumors.

He knew that now was not a good type to reveal anything. Jiyeon was slowly rebuilding her career and another scandal would deny any possibility. 

The last thing Daniel wanted to do was hurt her. For now he would be her boyfriend in secret, that was enough for him.

Though it did mean they had been forced to start making a sort of schedule.

On days he had a game where they knew he’d be watched closely he found it extremely hard to meet up with her, unless she sneaked into his apartment before reporters showed up. On days he had no games or schedules he’d try to meet with her for a date.

But that didn't even factor in her schedule too. 

With the amount of practicing she had it was hard to find time. Recently nights she had to do shoots or practice late into the night. Then when she finally had her comeback she’d have to start filming music shows for 10 hours straight. Staying at her entertainment agency for 12 hours most days. 

There were unfortunately many days he would sleep alone in his apartment or stay at a hotel if the games were at a different stadium. 

It tormented him trying to sleep those days, he would have to settle for video chatting her and often not realizing that the call was still going as they both fell asleep. 

Dates would be either be in one of their apartments or they would have to drive separately to a remote location. It wasn’t the ideal situation, but Daniel didn’t complain. On the bright side he could still be beside her. 

This was something he often reminded himself. That was enough. This was what he had signed up for when he had fallen in love with an idol.

He checked his phone as he finished his shower, it was 10 pm. There were several messages from different people, but he only cared about one person's. 

JIYEON 4 new messages

    JIYEON: oppa I just saw your game 

    JIYEON: good job!

    JIYEON: I had a late practice but me and my members watched the ending

    JIYEON: Eunjung unnie still has a crush on you

    DAEHAN: she’s pretty, give me her number

She responded instantly. 

    JIYEON: …

    DAEHAN: I'm kidding, not as pretty as you

He could almost imagine her change of facial expressions. 

    JIYEON: are you going home now?

    DAEHAN: yes, are you busy?

    DAEHAN: can I call you?

    JIYEON: I’m still practicing with Hyomin unnie. But I can call for a little

    DAEHAN: I’ll call you soon

Daniel exited the arena with his managers and fans were cheering as hundreds of flashes attacked his eyes. Daniel ducked his head and continued into the black van, the manager slamming the door behind. The cheers of hundreds of fans echoed from outside, his manager leaped in with different fan gifts once again.

“Where to?” His driver asked him.

“Just to the car park I’ll drive from there.” Daniel responded. 

Because Anyang was only about an hour drive from Seoul he would drive to the game himself and park nearby.

“Yes sir.” The driver responded. 

As the van pulled up to the small carpark Daniel exited and placed his dark green hoodie over his face. He walked to the familiar silver Tesla and climbed into the drivers seat. He dialed Jiyeon immediately.

oppa?”

“Hey I just got to my car, I’m driving home right now.” 

“ok, be safe. We’re taking another break after rehearsing again.”

“I thought you said this comeback wasn’t a dance single?”

“it’s not as much dancing. But we’re having performances still so we need to practice.”

“Ahh, I see.” Daniel nodded as his car pulled into the dark streets of Anyang. A very much mountain based city in Korea.

“It’s Christmas based. We’re going to shoot our MV in two days. We’re filming at Jeju Island.”

“I thought we were going on a date that day, I didn't have a game.” Daniel sighed. 

“Sorry oppa.” 

“It’s fine… should I come to Jeju to see you?” He inquired. 

Oppa… you know you cant.” 

The frustrations of having a secret relationship. 

“I know. Tomorrow are you free?”

No, were doing a profile shoot.” 

He knew, that with their upcoming Comeback they would be busy. Still it was disappointing when he really wanted to see her.

“When will you be free then?”

The 31st?” 

Daniel remembered he had a fan meeting that day with his team. 

“I can’t do that day.” He kicked the floor of the car with his other foot in frustration. 

But immediately regretted it, hoping that Jiyeon wouldn't hear. 

“oppa. I’m sorry. It’s just with the comeback.”

“I know. I know. I’m not mad at you. It’s just frustrating when I really want to see your face.” He assured her.

“Then come see me. I’m free after this practice and I don’t have to wake up until a later time tomorrow.”

“I’ll be there in an hour.” Daniel stepped on the gas as he exited the city of Anyang and cruised onto the highway leading to Seoul.

“Ok oppa see you soon.”

Daniel his radio and began listening to the top hits. To be honest this was one of the only ways to keep up with the trending artists listening as he drove, between practices, games, events, and dating he had no time to watch the various shows he had watched before.

Thank you for listening to 92.4 KBS trending, up next is Twice’s new hit song ‘TT’.”

Daniel remembered that since their debut they had shown their support for him several times and he was thankful for that. However, they also were going to definitely be in competition with T-ara’s new comeback as well.

Their songs were catchy he couldn’t lie. They were all very upbeat and it was easy to want to dance along. They were the new big girl group. He had already been given several commercials that wanted him to star next to them. 

He was tired of doing so many commercials to be honest. But his agent kept scheduling them in telling him, that with all the guaranteed money he had given up playing in the NBA it was through this he could earn it back. He was sure they had made that up and more.

He continued driving as he couldn’t wait to see his girlfriend again.

Jiyeon was sweating as she and Hyomin sat on the practice floor gasping for breath. The choreography wasn’t that hard for their new single ‘TIAMO’ but she and Hyomin had touched up on their choreography for their old songs. 

“Wow, I forgot how much we had to move for Roly Poly.” Hyomin sighed as she finally got up from the floor.

“Yes, almost as much as idols do these days.” Jiyeon agreed.

Many of the top artists seemed to be even more focused on choreography than singing these days. It was just a new era. 

“I’m exhausted, I’m gonna go home now.” Hyomin told her as she slung a towel over her face. 

“Ok unnie, I’m gonna take a shower and change.” Jiyeon leaped onto her feet as she headed for her locker. 

“You never change after practice, you always just go home. What’s up?” Hyomin suddenly interrogated suspiciously.

Slightly flustered Jiyeon scrambled to think of an excuse.

“Nothing, I just feel sweaty.” Jiyeon lied. 

She knew she wasn't the best liar. But this would have to do. 

“Really? You’ve been in a lot better mood recently.” Hyomin claimed. “I know with everything that happened in Japan was a lot. I’m just worried.”

Jiyeon slowly nodded understand where her Unnie was coming from.

To be honest Jiyeon felt some guilt not telling her members about her relationship. But she had felt it best to tell as few people just to be safe. Even the member she was closest to didn't know.

“I’m doing a lot better now.” Jiyeon insisted. “I’m just excited for the comeback.”

“Ok. If you say so.” Hyomin responded with some assurance.

Jiyeon rushed to shower as she saw that Daniel was only 15 minutes away. She needed to shower, change, and put on makeup. 

Within 25 minutes she felt like she was feasible for Daniel to see. She exited the changing room in a white t-shirt and denim jeans and plopped on one of his black hoodies that she had stolen from his apartment. The oversized hoodie draping over her slim figure. She was greeted by a few trainees and cheered for them quickly before leaving to meet Hyomin in the lobby. 

She waived goodbye to Hyomin who was leaving with her manager before exiting the MBK Entertainment building and bounding down the stairs in the darkness of Seoul. 

She checked her messages and quickly rushed to the carpark about a minute away and entered inside, scanning around the garage before narrowing on a silver Tesla located in the largely empty parking lot.

A smile found itself onto her lips as she spotted him.

There was a tall figure in a green hoodie and black jeans leaning against the door. 

She glanced one last time in the reflection of one of the cars sideview mirrors and called out for him.

“oppa!" She ran towards him.

Seeing his handsome grin inviting her, she jumped into his arms.

He held her tightly as she wrapped her legs around him, steadying herself completely in his grasp.

These were her favorite moments.

Him carrying her with his strong arms as she let her arms drap around his neck. 

He gazed lovingly into her eyes as she planted her lips on his. 

“Daniel I missed you.” She purred as her teeth scraped against his lips on their way out. 

“Me too Jiyeon.” He held her and was about to plant his own kiss on her lips when a voice rang out.

“Jiyeon?” 

Jiyeon froze, Daniel almost dropped her in surprise.

The voice... Jiyeon turned around to see her unnie.

was gaped open. Shock wasn’t a word that could’ve described the amount of surprise that was on Hyomin’s eyes. She looked like she had just seen a ghost.

“Unnie.” Jiyeon responded nervously.

What would she say?

“Daniel?” Hyomin’s mouth was still agape. “Choi?”

“uh… yes.” He quickly bowed to his senior. 

“You guys are… dating?” 

“Yes. Unnie.” Jiyeon nodded hesitantly.

“Daniel Choi… you’re dating Daniel Choi?” Disbelief was painted over Hyomin’s face.

“Yes. She’s my girlfriend.” Daniel placed his arm around Jiyeon and a wave of assurance blew over her.

If they faced it together. She didn't feel so scared.

“Wow. I mean… so sudden?” 

“Actually, we’ve known each other for a while. You may not remember but I met you as well-” Daniel tried to recount the past. 

“In Las Vegas… how could I have been so stupid?” Hyomin suddenly began to connect all the dots. “You’re the Vegas guy. The American friend.”

“Yes.” Daniel scratched his head sheepishly. 

There was an awkward silence as both Jiyeon and Daniel wondered how she would respond. 

“Wow, I’m so happy.” Hyomin congratulated them. 

“Please take good care of our Jiyeon, she’s been through a lot.”

“I know. I promise I will take good care of her.” Daniel assured Hyomin.

Hearing him talk Jiyeon wondered how anyone could ever doubt him. The way he communicated his thoughts so confidently. It could make anyone feel at ease around him.

“uh… yes.” Hyomin nodded. “Well I’ll let you two get on with things." 

Jiyeon chuckled nervously.

“Please don’t tell the others… especially Eunjung unnie… I’ll tell them soon I promise” Jiyeon requested. 

“of course. Just be more careful, it’s so obvious you were going on a date that’s why I followed you.” Hyomin advised. 

Jiyeon knew that she had been obvious, she would have to be more careful in the future.

“You should’ve seen how much she grinned as she stared at her phone during the whole night." Hyomin . 

Daniel chuckled hearing it.

“Unnie. Stop.” Jiyeon tried to stop her, but Daniel quickly came to her defense.

“I know I was just as excited.” Daniel comforted her.

“Ok, have a good time then.” Hyomin waived goodbye as Jiyeon turned back to Daniel. 

He was chuckling now. She jumped into the passengers seat as Daniel the car.

“Where to oppa?”

“Just trust me.” He responded. They took off and Jiyeon watched as they navigated through the streets of Seoul.

“Oppa. I just realized, you’re pretty good at driving considering you just got your license this summer.” She had noticed that Daniel didn’t seem to even need a GPS anymore as he drove around the Gangnam area.

“I used to love driving, I’d drive a lot for dates and even drove my friends when we went on long trips.” Daniel explained. 

Jiyeon wondered what kind of dates he had gone on, she knew that he had done a lot of things with his first ex. Hannah Tran. Jiyeon had seen pictures of her, she was pretty, she had much darker skin and one look at her she never could’ve imagined him dating her. But Jiyeon knew that beauty was different in California.

“What kind of trips did you go on? With your ex-girlfriend.” Jiyeon found herself asking aloud.

Daniel sighed.

She knew she had ruined the mood, but she couldn’t help it. She was the jealous type and he had made her promise to always tell him when she felt a certain way.

“Well, let’s see. I drove up to San Francisco once my… let’s see in Korea that would be my 2nd year of High School with her.” Jiyeon nodded, she had heard of San Francisco many times it was pretty far from LA where he lived. 

“Did you guys…”

“Yes, that was my first time, I ran away from home with her and that was my first time. She wanted to see the Big Bridge there, it was her bucket list.” He responded she appreciated how matter of fact he was being.

There was no emotion in his voice, he was just telling her the facts.

“Ahh… I see.” Jiyeon nodded as she could imagine two teenagers driving to a far away place. 

It seemed like straight out of an American romance movie. In someways she felt regret that with her being an idol she had never experienced those kind of things. Sure she had received countless confessions, but she wasn’t allowed to accept any. Nor was she allowed to think about dating because of her company image.

“I promised i’d tell you the truth about me.” Daniel continued. “But that was the past Jiyeon. I love you more than I ever loved her.” 

“I know oppa. I know.” Jiyeon knew how much he cared about her.

He never failed to express his feelings, it made it easier for her. Made it easier for her to express her feelings for him. 

She grabbed onto his right hand with her hand. He clutched it tightly.

“So, tell me. What are some of the things, you never got to do that you want to do?” He suddenly inquired.

Jiyeon smiled, there were somethings...

“Hmm… kiss… in the car?” 

Daniel chuckled at her comment almost scoffing at her statement.

“What?” She questioned embarrassed when he didn’t respond.

“No we can do way more than that.”

The car pulled up to a stop light and without warning, Daniel tugged onto her hand and pulled her close as he leaned over and kissed her. 

He slowly pulled away his eyes gazing at her causing butterflies in her stomach. 

“Ya! Pay attention to the road.” She spluttered. Her face warm with satisfaction. 

“I’m just that good at driving.” He boasted as she noticed that they were now cruising along the Han River. He pulled over into a parking lot nearby the park and they both exited.

He walked over and took her hands in his as they both put on their hoods. Hand in hand they walked along the mostly empty riverwalk save for a few other couples out at night.

Jiyeon was terrified at first, glancing around them nervously. Waiting for some random person to appear and start photographing them. But, for some reason. She felt safe. 

She pondered for a little why it was, but came to the realization that she should've had immediately. It was his hand. The way he tightly held it, his large fingers completely encircling hers. 

She felt protected. He wasn't going to let anything happen to them.

The city glowed as beautiful as it usually did. The tall buildings lit up with lights of corporate offices and commercial billboards. It made one realize just how small you were in such a large city.

"Oppa." There was still something that weighed heavily on her mind.

"Yes?" 

"How did you find me?" Jiyeon had never really heard the story of how he had found her.

All she knew was she was on the brink of death and Daniel like her guardian angel had appeared and brought her to the hospital.

"Huh?" 

"I mean when you saved me." Jiyeon felt timid talking about it. It had been only a little over two weeks, yet somehow it had felt like years ago. "You never told me."

"Ahh. That." Daniel remarked. 

They had stopped moving now, both staring into the water. The large bridge connecting both sides of Seoul running above them.

"I guess I should apologize then." He suddenly revealed. "We were still sharing locations with each other on my old phone."

"Really?" Jiyeon was in disbeleif. She could somewhat remember still the time she had recommended he share his location with her when they first met. Afraid that he might become lost in such a large city.

"You still had your old phone?" Jiyeon inquired, she knew he had changed numbers since then, and assumed he would've tossed his old phone.

He nodded his head, his eyes glued to a boat passing by. She wondered what was going on in his head. 

"The photos." It came out as a mumble more than anything. 

"The photos?" Jiyeon was now the one confused.

"All the photos we had together were saved onto that phone." He expanded upon it. His voice was calm. 

But Jiyeon was anything but calm. She could remember the photos. The photos they had taken together during their dates. The photos she knew he had secretly snapped while he thought she was sleeping. The photos she took of him without him knowing.

The memories refreshing in her mind in real time.

"I didn't want to lose them." He admitted as if revealing a guilty secret.

Jiyeon didn't even know what to say. So touched by his confession.

"Why? Why did you come even after I pushed you away?" Jiyeon found herself questioning.

Daniel drew her into his arms, her head resting against his chest.

"Why?" She wondered again. 

There was still no response.

"I can't answer that question." 

Jiyeon looked up confused by his reply. Daniel had a suprisingly serious expression. 

"That's like asking why all those years ago I fell in love with you at first sight." Daniel answered. "I just know now, now I love you."

Jiyeon hid her grin as she ducked her head into his jacket. As usual. Daniel was smooth. 

Yet it was genuine at the sametime. 

Jiyeon finding yet another reason to fall so deeply in love with the handsome boy in front of her.

The darkness surrounded them as they locked gazes. 

Jiyeon felt tiny drums knocking against her chests, her heart accelerating  at the sincerity in his eyes. 

"Me too... I can't really explain it. But I love you a lot Daniel. I've always wanted the best for you.”

With the perfect atmosphere, she leaned in and kissed him as their hoods clashed against each other.

Jiyeon knew that this was one position that no one could see their faces in. A position that they were largely unidentifiable in. 

Kissing him was just... right. It was more right than any of her other decisions. 

Being with him felt right. Everything about it. 

… 11.11.2016

SOOMPI: T-ara’s tender new Christmas concept is Visually beautiful plus adorable 

November 11th, 2016

With their new comeback ‘Tiamo’ T-ara brings a much different concept then their many previous hit songs. With a music video that has already reached 2 million views in a span of two days of it’s release, their performance on M countdown was truly beautiful. The more tender music gives off a friendly Christmas vibe which is only accented by it’s two visual stunners. 

T-ara’s Jiyeon and Eunjung stole the show simple as that. T-ara’s Eunjung who with her longer black hair which she is rarely seen in, and simple dress is just cute and beautiful. T-ara’s Jiyeon who for the first time had thin bangs covering her forehead was just as stunning. Both members took the center for much of the performance and fans couldn’t keep their eyes off of them, or at least BTOB couldn’t. During certain cuts of the broadcast BTOB’s Changsub and Minhyuk’s adorable eyes were glued to the two visuals, their large grins apparent as the song continued.

The highlight for me at least was the end. Young girls who could’ve passed as models with their cuteness and flawless skin joined each girl and began to sing with them. A funny picture of Jiyeon’s girl blushing at her Unnie’s pretty face had my heart touched as well. 

The comeback however good in my eyes, was unfortunately just not at a good time. Twice arguably the biggest group in Kpop right now took the first place as T-ara placed 2nd. 

Despite a strong performance, the group was simply just overshadowed by a now standing powerhouse from JYP. Many have actually drawn comparisons between the ier performances of T-ara and bubbly performances of SNSD to what Twice was based off. 

Did you like seeing these old and new groups compete? 

//////////////

Top Comments:

“I’m not going to lie I was jealous to see the pictures of our BTOB oppas staring at the two T-ara girls. But after rewatching the performance how could you not? T-ara’s Jiyeon and Eunjung will forever top my most beautiful Kpop girls and I don’t care what others say. That being said, the fact is Twice is just too popular to drop a single loss in their performances. Still T-ara fighting!”

“I came after wanting to see who placed second after Twice at the end. I was quite amazed by the performance of a group I thought was just an old scandal. The two visuals are indeed stunning and I can’t quite get over the uniqueness of Jiyeon’s look. Tzuyu and her seem to exude a similar aura, but I’m now a fan.