Recollection

TILL OUR NEXT LIVES

One night during their week-long honeymoon in Jeju, Jiyong decided to do stargazing with Dara. He prepared the blanket, and placed it on one of the large wooden platforms outside the house.

They lay down, Jiyong trapping Dara in his hug. Instead of looking at the stars like what he planned, he closed his eyes and started singing his song for her. Dara looked up at him, staring at him affectionately, tracing his nose and jaw lines, feeling his little stubbles.

Suddenly Jiyong chuckled, opening his eyes. “Weird. Why do I feel like I’ve experienced this before? Like a déjà vu.”

Dara had her eyes wide opened when she remembered the diary.

 

    April 7, 1910

Under the night sky where the moonlight casts its brightness above us. I glanced at you. Your eyes were closed as you hummed again that song. Those small smiles you were giving is glistening among the darkness. It was enchanting. The way your arms are tightly secured on my waist. The way your body is giving me warmth from the coldness of the wind’s blowing. I can spend all my nights like this. This is where I belong. You’ve become my home.

 

Again, her heart started pounding so fast. It was too much for her to handle already, she decided to tell her husband everything.

While Dara was telling Jiyong all the similarities in their memories, he remembered those times he would catch his wife reading it, and in those times, he always wonders what made Dara react that way. She always looked surprised and in dazed. 

 

 

When they arrived back home in Seoul, Dara busied herself in the kitchen, preparing some lunch while Jiyong decided to unpack their things in the bedroom. He was putting some things back in the drawer when he saw the blue notebook, Dara was always holding.

“It must be the diary.” Jiyong started reading it, wanting to understand Dara

 

   January 21, 1910

Our hands were intertwined as we find our way in the midst of singing and dancing happening in the streets. We always celebrate our town’s festival together but today it was different. We’re now a couple. I was very excited when all of a sudden, I lost my grip from your hand, as someone grabbed my other hand and started swirling me around. I was having fun with them but when I turned to look at you, you were clearly in your own world of madness, shoving everyone till you find me. And when you did, you immediately engulfed me with your strong arms. After that your hold onto me is tighter. Can I really have that effect on you? I wonder what will you do if I was really lost. But I’m certain that won’t happen. Your grip onto me is so strong, I can’t imagine my life not feeling it.

 

“Seungri’s party. The club. It was the same. Not only that but always. Whenever I don’t see her or hear from her, I’m always scared. I don’t want to lose her even for a brief moment.”

 

    March 18, 1910

We were the only ones left in the auditorium but you insisted on staying longer. You hold my hand and guide me on one of the front seats. I was scared when you suddenly let go, and walk away. But I told myself, you would never leave me alone. Then, you ascended onto the stage, grabbing the guitar lying among the other instruments. You positioned yourself in the center, and started strumming those tiny strings. A soft melody resonated the whole room. I closed my eyes, savoring each note as it dances through my ears then a voice suddenly joined in. It was you. You were singing. I’ve always knew that you sing well but at that moment it was different. There’s something with the lyrics, the melody, and your voice that tugged my heart. After your performance, I remembered how I clapped my hands excitedly as I ran to you up on that stage. I was hugging you tight when your breath tickled my ear. You whispered at me. I clearly remember those words.

                 “The title is Butterfly. I made that song for you, my butterfly.”

                  True to your words, I felt millions of butterflies inside me. It will be my favorite song, my lullaby.

 

“My confession. Our anniversary in Han River. My song for her. My butterfly.”

 

     March 31, 1910

The blue swirly clouds were passing by, hiding the glare of the sun in the process. Different kinds of chirpings can be heard as those little creatures flew from one branch to another. Flowers were blooming at their ripest cycle. Our surrounding was painted with rich and vivid colors. We were laying on the grass with your arm as my pillow. It was indeed a beautiful afternoon just being with you. We were bathed in comfortable silence as if we didn’t sneak out from our usual band practice. After some time, you closed your eyes. I shifted my position so I could clearly marvel at how peaceful you looked. I’ve already said that it was beautiful afternoon but that vanished in an instant, I pondered on myself, and I thought you are indeed more beautiful.

 

“Our escape back in college. The rooftop. Our first kiss.”

 

     April 7, 1910

Under the night sky where the moonlight casts its brightness above us. I glanced at you. Your eyes were closed as you hummed again that song. Those small smiles you were giving is glistening among the darkness. It was enchanting. The way your arms are tightly secured on my waist. The way your body is giving me warmth from the coldness of the wind’s blowing. I can spend all my nights like this. This is where I belong. You’ve become my home.

 

“Our honeymoon in Jeju.”

 

     May 13, 1910

I have so many questions. I’m trying my best to seek for answers because I know this is not how it’s supposed to be. We are so much in love. But why should it be us? Can’t they see how happy and contented we are? I’m confused. What did we do wrong? Is it wrong to fall in love with the right man? Perhaps, it’s not the right time? But, that should be out of context. If it wasn’t you I’m going to be with, I’d rather be alone, live alone, and die alone. What’s the reason for me to live if you weren’t there anymore? It’s killing me. I miss you so much.

We may not be destined together in this life, but I know in the next lives we have, we will. Let’s meet again. I love you always.

 

“The time Dara cried.” Now, he knew why Dara was begging him. She was afraid he will leave her too.

He felt a tingling pain in his heart. Like he was the one to be blamed from the suffering in her last entry. He kept on assuring himself that the man never wanted to be away from her. He felt their love, he knew for sure that whatever it was that happened, they didn’t choose it.  

Many things were running on his mind, same with how his wife felt. His heart was beating too fast as he recalled his memories with Dara. It was almost the same with those in the diary. He was sure of it, this is not a coincidence. Excluding the last part, it’s just too same to be coincidence.

“It’s like reading my own story.” Jiyong whispered, still on dazed.

He was staring at the diary, turning its pages when he noticed a small pocket at the back. He opened it, and found a brown paper.

“How could this be?” He gasped for some air after seeing the words written.

 

Park Sandara and Kwon Jiyong

 

His name and his wife’s name.

There were no names mentioned in the diary. Dara didn’t tell him anything about the paper, and he clearly remembered their conversation with Dara’s grandmother from their wedding, the old woman didn’t mention the name of her mother’s first love.

When he thought he has already received all surprises in life, he was wrong. He flipped the paper, and what he saw paled him.

Sensing some things going on in the bedroom, Dara went her way to Jiyong. “Babe?” She saw him, holding his chest, staring at nothingness. She quickly caressed his back, worried on what’s happening. “Are you okay?” But he just closed his eyes tight.

“Do you believe in past life?” Jiyong looked at her when his breaths even out. She just stared at him, wondering where his question was coming from. He handed the piece of paper. Then, Dara felt like a bucket of cold water was thrown at her.

She saw their names, and on the other side was a black and white photo, its color attesting the many years that passed since it was taken. It was a photo of her and Jiyong, donned in highschool uniforms, its style was those from the past. A photo which they don’t remember taking but it was exactly them.

“This is not coincidence babe. It’s us. Our past lives. It’s our memories.” Jiyong whispered.

She won’t deny it anymore. He was right. Her great grandmother, she was her. Her first love, he was Jiyong.

Jiyong suddenly remembered Dara’s grandmother’s words.

 

 “You really did something young man.”

Look closer Dara, you might have missed something.”

“Mom was right. You’re indeed a fine-looking man. No wonder she falls in love with you.”

“Thank you for finding Dara. Thank you that you meet again. Take care of her.”

 

“Dara, call your grandmother.” She realized what he was trying to point out, and immediately called.

“We saw it.”

“You looked exactly the same right. Even the name, Kwon Jiyong and Sandara Park. I wonder how much more.” The voice on the other line chuckled. Dara wanted to tell her just how much everything was the same, even their memories. She wanted to understand things.

“Can we meet? We can fly to Japan.”

“No dear. Is your husband with you? Put in on a loudspeaker.”

“Dara, Jiyong. The things I’ve said, the diary. It’s the only thing I knew. I’m sure you have many questions, I have too but it’s not mine to pry about. You’re on your own now. I’m just happy that your love story finally continues.”

“Do you want to go back to Dara’s hometown, the past Dara?” Jiyong asked his wife after they ended the call.