Chapter 20

The Perfect Match

The Perfect Match Chapter 20

 

Author

Jan Di and Jun Pyo were out of the classroom as soon as the bell rang.

Ga Eul stared after the two, practically rooted to her seat.

Exactly what was going on between them? She had the weirdest feeling niggling at the back of her mind, as if something bad was about to happen.

Then again, it was possible that that feeling had nothing to do with neither Jan Di nor Jun Pyo. This school was just so full of strange happenings and even stranger people.

“You guys go ahead.” She told the others in the room: “I have to get something from my locker. I’ll meet you all in the cafeteria.”

 

Ga Eul

I juggled all my books in one hand while I opened my locker with the other.

As soon as that happened a massive number of envelopes came flying out, landing in a heap at my feet.

My eyes rolled on their own accord.

Of course, even hate-mail was delivered in pretty envelopes in this damned school filled with spoiled brats.

It wasn’t the first time I had received such letters, but the amount this time around was just too much.

Was everyone at this school in love with the bloody F4?

With a frustrated huff I shoved my books into the locker and grabbed a garbage bag out of it. I had started keeping those as soon as the hate-mail had started piling up.

Cursing every single one of those people that had addressed these letters to me, I stuffed them into the garbage bag and cursed again when I cut myself on a sharp paper edge.

The envelope was sickeningly sweet, pink with all kinds of hearts drawn on it and even had the smell of some overpriced perfume to it.

To any normal person it would seem like a love letter, but I knew better. I knew what it really was

Deciding against any reason or logic I opened it.

The letter was just as pink as the envelope it had been in, filled with smiley and heart stickers.

I would have laughed at such a thing, if it wasn’t for the words staring back at me: I hope you die, you little :)

Well, there went my good mood for the day.

My phone went off as soon as I crumbled the letter and threw it into the garbage bag with the rest of its kind.

Hee Young was on the other end when I picked up: “Hey, where are you? We’re waiting for you.”

I sighed: “You know what? You guys go ahead and eat without me; I don’t think I’m in the mood for the cafeteria right now. I’ll just spend lunch in the garden.”

I hung up before Hee Young could say anything else.

Seeing all those pretentious girls who were just waiting for the F4 with their fluttering eyes and their stupid fake smiles was hardly on the top of my to-do list.

 

Yi Jung

So Ga Eul didn’t want to come to the cafeteria?

No way! We had a bet going on and she would have to be there to see her own defeat.

Fortunately I found her right away when I entered the garden.

Her back was facing me, so she didn’t see me approaching.

She jumped in shock as I drew my arm around her shoulder.

The second she saw me her first reaction was to shove me away: “What the hell? Don’t sneak up on me like that!”

I drew my arm around her shoulder again: “Come on, don’t be like that. I just wanted to surprise you. And what was that? You told Hee Young you weren’t coming to the cafeteria? What about our little bet?”

My free hand searched for the small paper in my jacket pocket that Ga Eul had slipped to me in class.

I held it out in front of her: “You’re the one who wanted to bet on those two idiots. What if they’re inside right now, doing something incredibly stupid and we’re not there to witness it, just because you refused to enter the cafeteria today?”

She glared at me and I swear, if looks could kill, I would have been a dead man right at that moment, but then her glare shifted to the paper in my hand and she snatched it from me before she threw it away with a vengeance I had never seen in her until now.

“You’re annoying me so much right now Yi Jung, you have no idea.” She growled at me: “Fine! I’ll come with you, so stop bugging me and take your hand off me. If you haven’t noticed, this school is full of your fangirls.”

She shook my hand off and this time I let her go.

She was right, the school really was full of fangirls and not all of them were as innocent as they pretended to be.

The best example was the whole Seung Jo-Ha Ni-love-letter-fiasco.

Those fangirls could be cunning and vicious and even if neither Ga Eul and I nor Seung Jo and Ha Ni were together they still had it out for any girls us F4 were close to.

We arrived in the cafeteria side by side, though Ga Eul tried to keep her distance, but that didn’t really matter when we would be sitting at the same table anyways.

She plopped down at the round table where our friends were waiting, taking a seat next to Ha Ni.

I also sat down between her and Woo Bin.

Jun Pyo and Jan Di were still nowhere to be seen.

Hee Young looked over at Ga Eul and the gloomy atmosphere surrounding her, before her gaze settled on me questioningly.

All I could do was shrug.

How would I know why she was so pissed off?

And I honestly didn’t have the guts to ask her right now.

It appeared Hee Young did though: “Ga Eul-ah, is everything alright? You seem a little… worked up.”

Ga Eul frowned at her friend: “Everything is fine.” she pointed at me: “This guy just annoys the hell out of me. All I wanted was to be left alone for a few minutes, but he obviously had to barge in on my solitude.”

My head shook in denial: “Don’t take what she said seriously Hee Young. She was pissed off even before I found her. All I wanted to do was to cheer her up, that’s it.”

Frown still in place, Ga Eul scoffed: “Yeah and how well did that go?”

Okay, now she was pissing me off: “That’s enough Ga Eul. You were fine while we were still in class. I don’t know what’s gotten into you all of a sudden, but taking it out on me won’t solve anything.”

It was as if my words finally got through to her and I could literally see her eyes coming into focus as she looked at me.

She let out a long sigh, her head sinking into her waiting palms.

A few moments passed before she straightened herself up from that position and looked at me again, her anger completely gone by now: “You’re right. I’m not angry at you, although you are annoying, but you didn’t do anything wrong. I’m sorry I got mad at you.”

An apology from Chu Ga Eul… that was not something I had been expecting. This girl was the most stubborn person I knew and two of my best friends were Beak Seung Jo and Goo Jun Pyo, so stubbornness was something I was familiar with.

“It’s okay.” I told her: “Just give me a heads-up next time around. Now, would you care to share with us what has gotten you so worked up?”

Everyone around the table looked at her expectantly.

Just as she opened to reply the F4 bell rang through the cafeteria, announcing Jun Pyo’s arrival.

All of us looked up to the top of the stairs where Jun Pyo stood proudly with a rather embarrassed-looking Jan Di next to him.

What happened next is what surprised every person in the room.

Instead of coming down to grace us with their presence, the two stayed put.

“Listen up students of Shinwa High School! I have a very important announcement for you all.” Without any hesitation he took hold of Jan Di’s hand and I swear I heard collective gasps echo throughout the hall: “As of today Geum Jan Di is my girlfriend and she is to be treated as such.”

I stole a glance around our own table, finding Woo Bin and Seung Jo trying to suppress their laughter and three girls in utter shock.

My eyes finally settled on Ga Eul and I nudged my shoulder to hers, startling her out of her stupor: “Time to pay up Chu Ga Eul.”

End of Chapter

 

Author's Note:

Wow, I actually managed another chapter in a week.

I have to say, it feels good to be writing again.

Thank you to everyone for reading, commenting and subscribing.

The unconditional support you guys offer means the world to me and so very thankful for it :)

Please tell me your thoughts abot these developments in the story. Your feedback is always appreciated.

Kamsahamnida!

P.S. I love you all <3