Umm

Unable. Disable. Enable

The deaf college student sat in his seat, about to fall asleep in morning class. He had passed out while talking to Minhyun last night and the last message he had sent was 3am. That explains why he felt so damn tired during a 9am class. Gosh. But he didn't regret it one bit although he could barely focus and kept yawning every so often to try to keep himself awake. Minki tapped his hand to get his attention since this was the only class him and Minki were in. 

 

'Long night?' Minki signed and Baekho shrugged. 

 

'Kind of?' 

 

'What were you doing?' 

 

'Chatting with someone.' 

 

'Who?' 

 

Baekho blinked. Should he be telling Minki about Minhyun? He seemed lost in thought so Minki jabbed his side, making him flinch. 

 

'Come on. Spill the beans. Who were chatting with? Aron? Jonghyun?' Minki fake gasped then. 'You must have been talking to Jonghyun. That's why you don't want to tell me!' 

 

Baekho quickly shook his head and hands, knowing how possessive Minki can get over his soulmate. Sure, they were friends since young but ever since Jonghyun and Minki got together, they were both equally possessive about one another. 

 

'Minhyun.' 

 

Minki was stunned. 'You were talking to Minhyun? One of the get into your pants guy Aron was talking about?' 

 

Baekho coughed and nodded. Minki frowned and Baekho knew he didn't like the look on his friend's face. 

 

'I thought we promised to stay away from that group. They're a bunch of good for nothings.' Minki signed and Baekho sighed. 

 

'Minhyun is nice.' 

 

'How sure are you?' 

 

'He treated me burger!' 

 

Minki literally rolled his eyes. 'You and food. Seriously?' 

 

Baekho pouted and proceeded to ignore Minki who was frantically signing away in hopes Baekho would stop chatting with Minhyun. Now he felt like a glutton for being easily coaxed by food. He was thankful that he was more awake now though so he could actually focus on what the lecturer was writing on the board. No, he couldn't hear anything but that didn't mean he couldn't take down notes. 

 

And he certainly didn't think Minhyun was bad. 

 

^^^

 

The tall mute student stood at the corner of the school building, holding his friends' bags as usual with one of his shorter and quieter friends, Jihoon. He knew what the others were up to and he knew he should stop them but he didn't want to become a victim. He heard them chuckling and walking out from the alleyway. Not all of them were involved but just a selected few. 

 

"Thanks, Minhyun." They took their bags from him and walked off. Jihoon followed along behind slowly. Minhyun gripped his bag and pursed his lips. He didn't want to do this anymore. He didn't want to just stand by and do nothing but he didn't want to end up like the rest. He waited until they were far enough before he walked into the alley. He noticed the fallen figure and gulped. 

 

Is he still alive? 

 

Minhyun slowly approached the figure and could still see the other's shallow breathing. He gently placed a hand on the other's shoulder, hoping he wouldn't freak the person out but a sharp swat hit his hand away. Three lines appeared on Minhyun's hand and he winced. 

 

"Don't touch me!" the person cried out in a hoarse voice, blood dripping from his lips as he spoke. Minhyun flinched and placed a finger on his own lips, hoping the other would take a hint to keep it down. He wanted to help. "Go away! You're one of them! You don't want to help me! You guys are sick! s! You ruin everything!" 

 

Minhyun opened his mouth. He wanted to protest but he knew it was pointless. He didn't stop them. He was just as bad, if not worse than them. 

 

" off!" 

 

Minhyun felt tears b in his eyes and he quickly got up, knowing he won't be able to help. 

 

'I'm sorry.' he signed. 

 

"Leave me alone!" 

 

Minhyun bit his lower lip and walked away. The least he could do is get someone else to help, he guess so he headed to the infirmary and lied to the doctor, telling said doctor that someone had passed out in the alleyway. He was thankful the doctor understood handsigns. After that, he just wandered to the football field and sat on one of the benches beside it. He wanted to cry but he held it in. He cursed himself for being so weak. For not wanting to get into trouble and end up troubling his family. For allowing his friends to hurt others. He knew it was wrong but he also knew if it wasn't someone else, it could be him. He feared being that person. He knew even if he screamed for help, no one would be able to hear him because he had no voice and that scared him. He sniffled and rubbed away the little tears that found their way out and he breathed deeply to regain control of his breathing. He breathed out and stared at his hands, wet with his tears. 

 

For how much longer does he need to endure this? 

 

He noticed someone taking a seat beside him on the bench and he turned his head, surprised to find Baekho there smiling at him although that smile dropped when he saw Minhyun's face. 

 

'Did I show up at the wrong time?' Baekho signed worriedly and Minhyun shook his head, forcing a smile onto his face. 'Your eyes are red. Did you not get enough sleep too?' 

 

'I'm good.' 

 

'Want to talk about it?' 

 

Minhyun shook his head and Baekho nodded, just sitting there in silence. Minhyun wondered why. Why was Baekho not leaving? Why did he continue to just sit there? He realised Baekho was actually watching the football game happening in one half of the field after awhile. His eyes darting back and forth following the football. 

 

'Did you come here to watch the game?' Minhyun signed and Baekho nodded. 

 

'Didn't you?' 

 

Minhyun let out a chuckle although there wasn't actually much of a sound. He shook his head. 

 

Oh

 

'Was I really interrupting you then? I could leave and sit somewhere else.' 

 

Minhyun shook his head and even placed a hand on Baekho's lap hurriedly, afraid the other would leave for real. Baekho looked down at Minhyun's hand, a thousand thoughts going through his mind per second. He let out a cough and Minhyun pulled away. Both of their faces heat up and they glanced at each other before smiling. Minhyun felt better even though the guilt was still there. Baekho made him feel less terrible for sure. 

 

'Do you like football?' 

 

'Sports in general but I had to stop most of them because of this stupid deafness.' 

 

'Right. Because of the soulmate thing. It's stupid, isn't it?' 

 

'It is. It's like a curse. Just because some people wants to have a perfect soulmate, everyone has to suffer.' 

 

'Don't you want one?' 

 

'Want what.' 

 

'A perfect soulmate.' 

 

Baekho shrugged. He fiddled with his fingers for a bit before replying again. 'I think as long as two person love each other, soulmate or not, they'll make it work.' 

 

Minhyun liked the sound of that and that was when he decided. Whether or not Baekho was his soulmate, he wanted the other to like him just as much as he did and make it work between them. But first he had to find a way to get rid of the guilt tugging in his chest and for that, he needed to stop being friends with them. How? That was the hard part. 

 

^^^

 

Ever since that day, Baekho and Minhyun started meeting each other after classes at the bench whether there was a football practice or not. It was just peaceful there. Not that much noise or disturbance. Even if one's class ended earlier, they would still meet up after once they texted each other. Baekho didn't know why the other kept it up and neither did Minhyun but they both knew they really liked hanging out with each other. Not to mention they both had a crush with each other. One thing Baekho did notice was that Minhyun didn't interact with him whenever his friends were around. They barely talked in class or even meet eyes unless it was by accident and only a smile would be exchanged. Minhyun didn't tell Baekho about the bullying and he didn't want Baekho to become a victim either so he could only protect the other by making sure Baekho's presence was left unnoticed by them. Baekho ended up not mentioning Minhyun to his friends either ever since Minki's little freak out. He didn't want his other friends, namely Aron and Jonghyun, to try convincing him to stop talking to Minhyun either. He sincerely believed Minhyun was a great person despite all the stupid rumors going around. Although he knew Aron would probably support him but with Minki and Jonghyun, he wasn't so sure. They did about his crush on the taller male but it wasn't like they would support a relationship, right? 

 

Baekho sighed as he stared out into the empty field. Minhyun was running a little late today and it had been a little more than a week since they had started meeting up now. He tried to read his notes that would perhaps come up in the test since it wasn't like he could listen to music to pass time. He took out a pencil and made small little scribbles on it. He didn't even notice when the taller male finally arrived until Minhyun tapped his shoulder. He looked up and raised his brow, putting his notes aside. 

 

'Why did you bring a football?'

 

'You can't play in the big groups so why not play with me?' Minhyun smiled and put his bag down. Baekho chuckled and got up excitedly.

 

'It's been awhile since I played though.'

 

'I've never played it before.' Minhyun tossed the football over to Baekho who dropped it and started warming his legs up a little by juggling the ball between each foot.

 

'Then I shall kick your at this.' Baekho signed jokingly and Minhyun let out a silent laugh as Baekho kicked the ball towards him. Minhyun tried, he really did but his legs didn't work with him and he almost tripped. Baekho laughed and went up to him, teaching him how to use his foot to lead the ball's movements and kick. Minhyun almost fell down a couple of times and Baekho held his arm every time. Minhyun swore the butterflies in his stomach just won't cease whenever he heard Baekho laugh at his silliness and just one day he's going to puke them all out. Baekho, on the other hand, was enjoying it too much to even realise it. He hadn't played football in so long that he had forgotten why he loved sports in the first place.

 

Minhyun panted after they kept at it for about half an hour that felt like hours in Minhyun's opinion. He let himself sit on the floor to breathe. Baekho grinned and stood in front of him, wiping off his sweat with one hand.

 

Oh my.

 

Minhyun couldn't peel his eyes off the sweaty figure in front of him and he gulped. Maybe playing football with Baekho was a terrible idea after all. He felt his heart pounding and his desires to touch the other suddenly arise. He let that thought sink in as Baekho bent down to help Minhyun up except he bent a little too fast and his blood made his head spin, causing him to trip and fall right on top of Minhyun.

 

Oh god.

 

Minhyun felt every fiber of his being just cling onto Baekho as the shorter male dropped onto him. Their bodies clashed, causing Minhyun to lay down. Baekho groaned and propped himself up with his arms before he froze as he met Minhyun's eyes. His heart jumped to his throat as they stared at each other.

 

"Minhyun?"